Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:24   #136
Senior - BHPian

Great work Pavan, and so fantastically fast !!
I eagerly await updates on this thread each day.

Wish you lived in amchi Mumbai..
Old 4th August 2010, 08:23   #137
Senior - BHPian

Great amount of progress in the past few days sirji. Hoping that paint job is nearing. Am really looking forward to it. BTW loved the neat disc fabricated to fill in the headlamp gap.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:16   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Great work Pavan, and so fantastically fast !!
I eagerly await updates on this thread each day.

Wish you lived in amchi Mumbai..
Same here sir., i too am awaiting to updates daily...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Great amount of progress in the past few days sirji. Hoping that paint job is nearing. Am really looking forward to it. BTW loved the neat disc fabricated to fill in the headlamp gap.
The body work is nearing completion presently. Paint job is a bit far right now.

After the body job is done, we are doing test trials with the engine ON and only later we will start the paint

The headlights are done, fantastic job as per me.

Two small, minute but very essential fitting (Convertible top fitment) was given for chrome plating, though it is not metal, my chrome guy is trying his best to chrome it, and i know he'll do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0369.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0370.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0381.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0382.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 19:28   #139
BANNED

Now since the Headlights are done, we move towards the back of the car

We start with mounting the Tail lights, as seen, earlier the car had Millicento tail lamp assembly. Thats gone and the Original makes way.

Also work started on the spare wheel cover. But thats a complicated process.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0396.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0397.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0398.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0399.jpg  

Old 6th August 2010, 07:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
We start with mounting the Tail lights, as seen, earlier the car had Millicento tail lamp assembly. Thats gone and the Original makes way.
Pawan do you need those Millicento tail lamps. If not one of our club member is looking for them. Please let me know the price also.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:20   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Pawan do you need those Millicento tail lamps. If not one of our club member is looking for them. Please let me know the price also.
Hi Manish, Those tail lights will go into the second Topolino

So its stored.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:29   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hi Manish, Those tail lights will go into the second Topolino

So its stored.
Um, why not get another OHH REE GEE NAL pair for that one as well, saar?

They simply look fab on this car!

BTW, what 'work' is he going to do on the spare wheel cover?
Old 9th August 2010, 19:04   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Um, why not get another OHH REE GEE NAL pair for that one as well, saar?

They simply look fab on this car!

BTW, what 'work' is he going to do on the spare wheel cover?
Lets see sir, i am waiting for this car to finish.

We have hit a roadblock right now

Since Ramzaan has started, this will be the last few moments of the tinker with his family before he leaves abroad. He's called and said " Sir, i will not be able to continue on the car anymore, have lots of unfinished business before i go"

But he's promised to work for one good day this week to finish the difficult part.

Cannot comment on such situation, anyways 95% of tinkering is almost complete.

Pending work for Tinker:

1) Fit the LHS running board
2) Make the LHS window glass frame
3) Make the spare wheel cover
4) Finish few welding spots
5) Remove the body from chassis.

Will get my other tinker to finish these job now.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:30   #144
BANNED

Wow the Fiat is coming up well,Congrats PAVAN ,your patience is appreciated.

BTW where did you source the gasket for the engine?
Old 16th August 2010, 10:30   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Wow the Fiat is coming up well,Congrats PAVAN ,your patience is appreciated.

BTW where did you source the gasket for the engine?
Thank you very much.

Must thank Mr C S Ananth for helping us in sourcing original spares. Most of it are coming from Italy.

Last Thursday, the car was towed back from the tinkers place over to the mech.

Though there is still 15% of tinkering to be done. But cant help since he's leaving the country

The mechanic spared no time and fixed the engine onto the car to do our scheduled trial runs. Hopefully tomorrow we will be running the car. And hopefully we are keeping our fingers crossed for success.

Please pray for us.......!
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0597.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-imag_0598.jpg  

Old 16th August 2010, 11:17   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Pavan - please use non-resistor type ignition coil (Lucas TVS PA12) and metal core spark plug wires only. The Magneti Marelli distributor points / condenser are known to give problems if used with carbon core resistor wires and resistor coil. The first casualty will be the carbon contact inside the distributor cap. The second casualty will be premature wearing out of the tungsten on the points. Then the rotor and / or the condenser will give up, mostly at the same time. All this will make you tear your hair out in frustration. I have faced all this nonsense during one of my Fiat restorations, hence I know. Alternatively, you may use the original condenser of the 118NE (0.22 micro farad capacity) or of our good old Fiat (0.25 micro farad capacity) and mount it remotely, next to the ignition coil, it will work properly. By the way, is the carburettor M28BIC? Please verify if the centre to centre distance between the mounting studs is 60 mm. If yes, you can get away by using an M32BIC with a suitably modified cable actuation mechanism. If no, then be careful with the carburettor. If it acts up, it will become very temperamental to control.

This is going to be a fantastic restoration. I would request you to treat this car in such a way that the end result should rival the factory finish if not better it. Be very finicky in closing all unwanted holes / fissures / non-matching panels / old self tapping screws / old rivets by sitting with your welder and guiding him till he curses you. . That is the only way, otherwise these fellows are known to say yes to everything and then not do it because they do not think that such things are important. Also, apply liberal quantity of body sheet metal sealant, to avoid any squeaks and rattles.

Best of luck and best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th August 2010, 22:16   #147
BANNED

Engine not firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pavan - please use non-resistor type ignition coil (Lucas TVS PA12) and metal core spark plug wires only. The Magneti Marelli distributor points / condenser are known to give problems if used with carbon core resistor wires and resistor coil. The first casualty will be the carbon contact inside the distributor cap. The second casualty will be premature wearing out of the tungsten on the points. Then the rotor and / or the condenser will give up, mostly at the same time. All this will make you tear your hair out in frustration. I have faced all this nonsense during one of my Fiat restorations, hence I know. Alternatively, you may use the original condenser of the 118NE (0.22 micro farad capacity) or of our good old Fiat (0.25 micro farad capacity) and mount it remotely, next to the ignition coil, it will work properly. By the way, is the carburettor M28BIC? Please verify if the centre to centre distance between the mounting studs is 60 mm. If yes, you can get away by using an M32BIC with a suitably modified cable actuation mechanism. If no, then be careful with the carburettor. If it acts up, it will become very temperamental to control.

This is going to be a fantastic restoration. I would request you to treat this car in such a way that the end result should rival the factory finish if not better it. Be very finicky in closing all unwanted holes / fissures / non-matching panels / old self tapping screws / old rivets by sitting with your welder and guiding him till he curses you. . That is the only way, otherwise these fellows are known to say yes to everything and then not do it because they do not think that such things are important. Also, apply liberal quantity of body sheet metal sealant, to avoid any squeaks and rattles.

Best of luck and best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sirjee, i am out of words seeing you here with your words of wisdom on this thread. Thank you very much.

All points taken and will be implemented.

About the engine startup updates, its a sad story.

The engine with the radiator combo is not firing as expected.

We have little leakage near the water jackets. OMG.......! this is driving me over the wall.

Anyways, i have a lots of patience, Give me some more BUG....!

We still have a plan B which we are adapting tomorrow. And that should work.

Without a 50 km trial, the other work on the car will have to wait.......!

Keep watching this space.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear that, wishing you luck for plan b
Old 16th August 2010, 22:54   #149
BHPian

Dont know if Ive mentioned this earlier here. There was a cosmetically ok Topolino in my ex office first hanging from the ceiling then kept in the basement. It was planned to be made into a juke box. There was no engine (I consider it the God of small things). It was given to my boss by a bhpian. Just got to know that. Only if you had started this earlier and he still had it, could have been different. Dont know what has happeneed to it now, they have upped the security now, doors with fingerprint scanners.

PS- The topolino in Mumbai is in the same facility which has a silver morris with hot rod wheels on its gate.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:12   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Pavan - I suspected that water jacket leakage would occur when you had posted the photograph of the cylinder block open with the cylinder head gasket on it, but chose to keep my fingers crossed because I did not want to alarm you. I don't think the gasket in that condition will work. Please conduct root cause analysis and quietly work out the corrective action plan. You got a job on your hands now. Best of luck.

By the way, are the plugs firing?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed