Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 12:12   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Hey Pavan,

I am not sure why you try to finish the car when the engine has not been installed and tested thoroughly. Hopefully there will be no issues later on.
Here are pictures from a Topolino brochure. You must be having this already.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-topolino-01.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-topolino-02.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 17:52   #347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hey Pavan,

I am not sure why you try to finish the car when the engine has not been installed and tested thoroughly. Hopefully there will be no issues later on.
Here are pictures from a Topolino brochure. You must be having this already.

Cheers harit
Sir....!

There is NO HURRRY...

I am following your instructions to the "T" on all of my restorations right now.

Quote:
Hi Pawan,

Please do not mind, but I feel that you do not know much about the troubles these cars, like Bug Fiats, (also known as 'Mouse' in many parts of the world) give because of the engine head.
In your post below, where you took "stock", you have listed under no 6 - engine healthy but head is a big headache. IMHO, I feel that you should stop everything and first get the engine running. Almost all the bug Fiats lying and scrapped all over the country died because of the aluminium head which corrodes and kills the car. A premium restorer in central India also, surprise surprise, restored a bug Fiat for a Mumbai collector, maybe as a special favour, and the head gave maximum trouble. So we have a 7 star restored Mouse brought down to its knees because of the engine, the cars is still not seen on the roads. And almost every abandoned bug Fiat lying around has its engine pulled out. There are even now some lying in Lonavala, Mumbai about 15 years ago had 12 lying around, now most are scrapped or placed elsewhere. There were so many of these cars in India, but survival rate is poor because of this inherent problem. When people now collect Dukker Fiats and Fiat 500 / 600, why should they not collect these Bug Fiats? Because after the engine gives way, these cars are a headache.
This is also true for many Rolls's, Bentleys and particularly Mercedes Benz pre-1940 6 cylinder cars. I know, I got a head made for one such Merc. The water jacket was corroded, they simply tried to make do with M-Seal, but that did not work. My Packard Super 8 had the same problem, we had to make a head for that too.
I suggest that you first tackle the engine, get a head from abroad, or get one cast and machined, and then proceed with the restoration. Ofcourse in the meanwhile you should keep on collecting missing/damaged bits and pieces. I could put you onto a workshop that could help fabricate a new part, he would have to check if this is posibile.

Good Luck, and
Cheers harit

Will not paint the car unless and untill the car runs on its own power.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:07   #348
Senior - BHPian

Pawan,

Just wanted to ask you what material head studs you are using? Wanted to tell you originally high tensile bolts / studs (the black colored ones) are used to withstand the pressure requirments.

P.S.: Please sms me the number of your chrome plater.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:23   #349
BANNED

Double Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Pawan,

Just wanted to ask you what material head studs you are using? Wanted to tell you originally high tensile bolts / studs (the black colored ones) are used to withstand the pressure requirments.

P.S.: Please sms me the number of your chrome plater.
Manish... I am using tensile bolts, but not necessarily Black colored one's.

All the Studs are procured, the head fitted and ready to go. Just finishing few work with the Tinker before packing off the car to the mechanics house for further work..

Well...Right now, There are 2 things that are back of my mind.

1) There is NO WATER PUMP ON THE ENGINE : - How on earth does the water circulate from the engine block to the radiator and vice-versa..?

NOTE: Need help here to know the mechanism... Harit sir....

2) The BIG PARCEL OF SPARES that arrived from Switzerland are held at customs : - I am going to the customs department tomorrow , trying to pull some strings to reduce the Duty...

CHECK THE INVOICES ATTACHED below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT Courier-Bangalore Customs View Post
609282058 Details
Reference 502958390
Pick up date 24 Jun 2011
Destination BANGALORE
Delivery Date
Signatory
Date Time Location Status
30 Jun 2011 14:00:00 Bangalore Held Customs, Awaiting Clearance Instructions From Receiver.
30 Jun 2011 07:04:16 Madras Shipment In Transit.
29 Jun 2011 17:35:00 Madras Held Customs, Awaiting Clearance Instructions From Receiver.
29 Jun 2011 15:30:00 Madras Shipment Awaiting Physical Release From Customs Controlled Area.
28 Jun 2011 17:15:00 Madras Held Customs, Awaiting Clearance Instructions From Receiver.
27 Jun 2011 12:00:00 Madras Held Customs, Awaiting Clearance Instructions From Receiver.
26 Jun 2011 15:00:00 Madras Held Customs, Awaiting Clearance Instructions From Receiver.
25 Jun 2011 01:01:04 Liege Euro Hub Shipment In Transit.
24 Jun 2011 23:25:00 Basel Shipment In Transit.
24 Jun 2011 22:36:24 Basel Shipment In Transit.
24 Jun 2011 22:35:35 Basel Shipment Received At Origin Depot.
Summary / input screen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raghavendra B Kadam Freight Document.pdf (594.0 KB, 909 views)
File Type: pdf Raghavendra Kadam - Invoice no. 40903.PDF (17.7 KB, 645 views)

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 30th June 2011 at 19:27.
Old 1st July 2011, 23:24   #350
BANNED

Re: Double Trouble

Finally i cracked the (Da Vinci) Indian Customs Code today

I could see lots and lots of BMW , MERCEDES BENZ , HARLEY DAVIDSON parcels lying under lock and key.. awaiting customs clearences... I can imagine their plight.

3 hours later the customs guys agreed to clear the spares...
Anyways, hoping to receive the parcel in the next 4 days time...

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd July 2011 at 17:43. Reason: See PM sent.
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:49   #351
Senior - BHPian

Pavan ....the water circulation system is called ThermoSiphon. It was a ommon feature on early cars

Check the link on wiki

Thermosiphon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 23:08   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pavan ....the water circulation system is called ThermoSiphon. It was a ommon feature on early cars

Check the link on wiki

Thermosiphon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasif bhai this is really a precious information given, i have read 2 manuals twice but no where is this info mentioned.

Still having troubles with the customs, after having applied for the Temporary (Dummy) Import Export Code, and after having agreed to pay the Duty of Rs. 29800/-, they say today that the spares are used and junk spares and are not allowed as per Law. I give him a piece of my mind and have warned him that if by tomorrow the spares are not cleared, i might have to pull some strings.

I really hope the customs clear the Legally purchased goods soon.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

Glad to have been of some assistance to you Pavan....Hope your customs situation gets sorted ASAP.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:23   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Still having troubles with the customs, after having applied for the Temporary (Dummy) Import Export Code, and after having agreed to pay the Duty of Rs. 29800/-, they say today that the spares are used and junk spares and are not allowed as per Law. I give him a piece of my mind and have warned him that if by tomorrow the spares are not cleared, i might have to pull some strings. I really hope the customs clear the Legally purchased goods soon.
Used spares are actually not allowed, there is no provision to for import of these. It is upto the discretion of customs to charge a fine and let go or confiscate. That is the sad reality. That is why a cautious approach is required.

Recently one royal family in India LEGALLY purchased their ancestral car at an auction. The car has not yet come in inspite of being legally purchased. Legal purchase of an item does not automatically qualify for import, goods have to imported as per the provisions of the laws and policies.
That is why again a cautious approach is required.
Good Luck

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th July 2011 at 11:24.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:48   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Used spares are actually not allowed, there is no provision to for import of these. It is upto the discretion of customs to charge a fine and let go or confiscate. That is the sad reality. That is why a cautious approach is required.

Recently one royal family in India LEGALLY purchased their ancestral car at an auction. The car has not yet come in inspite of being legally purchased. Legal purchase of an item does not automatically qualify for import, goods have to imported as per the provisions of the laws and policies.
Good Luck

Cheers harit
Pavan, In future use DHL, FEDEX or USPS. You should then face less problems.

FEDEX and DHL land in Delhi or Mumbai and they clear it for you from Customs, with USPS it will come to your Postal Customs, who are easier to handle.

Always import in your personal name and not a companies name unless you have a good C&F agent. If I may suggest, use a C&F in future if you have high value imports.

Cheers
AK
Old 6th July 2011, 13:30   #356
BHPian

Pavan, like Harit said, please take a cautious approach when dealing with the Customs people. It totally at their discretion if they want to release the items or not or charge duty and the quantum of duty applicable, especially if some your parts are used ones.

Cheers
AK
Old 6th July 2011, 13:36   #357
BHPian

Hi Pavan,

That's bad. May be my contact can help you. I have sent you a PM, check and if required call and speak to him, he can help you clear the goods.

All the best. Awaiting your positive update.
Old 7th July 2011, 09:35   #358
BANNED

Quote:

Good Luck

Cheers harit
Sir, every spare in the package is BRAND NEW..... and Legal, its just some money making tactics by the shipping guys.. I am getting to the bottom of this in some time.

I will take your advice on my approach style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
Pavan, In future use DHL, FEDEX or USPS. You should then face less problems.

FEDEX and DHL land in Delhi or Mumbai and they clear it for you from Customs, with USPS it will come to your Postal Customs, who are easier to handle.

Always import in your personal name and not a companies name unless you have a good C&F agent. If I may suggest, use a C&F in future if you have high value imports.

Cheers
AK

Man...........! I insisted on DHL, as i've always shipped my VW spares through them all these years, and never had any issues. But the spares dealer says, they have no choice apart from TNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
Pavan, like Harit said, please take a cautious approach when dealing with the Customs people. It totally at their discretion if they want to release the items or not or charge duty and the quantum of duty applicable, especially if some your parts are used ones.

Cheers
AK
I know, i have spoken to my uncle who too works for Bangalore Customs but a different division altogether, he's put me onto some Air Traffic Superintendents, but the trouble is i need to act 3 way, sandwiched between TNT and Bangalore customs, and still keeping TNT in the loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Hi Pavan,

That's bad. May be my contact can help you. I have sent you a PM, check and if required call and speak to him, he can help you clear the goods.

All the best. Awaiting your positive update.
Thats a great help Chetan......

I am anyways going to call your contact, just as a Back up plan you see.

Plan A - Has'nt worked

Plan B - Presently executing

Plan C - your contact might work...

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th July 2011 at 09:37.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:19   #359
Senior - BHPian

I also had a very bad experience dealing with TNT, The stuff that was duty exempted we had to pay thousands for the duty all beacause of the neglegence of TNT. And Further to that the delay in clearing form the customs. At that time they had a tie up with First Flight Couriers for the Local India Shipments.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:12   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I also had a very bad experience dealing with TNT, The stuff that was duty exempted we had to pay thousands for the duty all beacause of the neglegence of TNT. And Further to that the delay in clearing form the customs. At that time they had a tie up with First Flight Couriers for the Local India Shipments.
It is important to note that consignments, specially those with a smaller value, are automatically cleared at customs by the courier, and then they bill you. If wrong rate of duty is applied, you still pay, if you refuse they ask the shipper to pay at point of despatch. You do have the chance to go and claim with customs, but it is a tedious procedure. Best is to give clear instructions, if you avail of duty exemption please mention the tariff number correctly, or better still send the duty exemption certificate copy along with the documents. This will avoid a lot of grief.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks