Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 10:36   #31
BANNED

The car is now completely off its paint and a coat of red-oxide being sprayed.

We move the car to the tinkers place, which is 10 kms away from here. Simple, Got the brakes to work, we must be happy, that the previous owner had got new brakes kit and had completely overhauled the brakes We tow it to my M-800 (My M-800 has a record now of towing all my restorations. lol...)

The tinker is a young chap all of 27 years. He had done tinkering on my Beetle 9 years ago and at what age while he is pricey because of his experience and workmanship backed by great ideas to fix things well. We choose him for the job.

What we thought is a simple tinkering turned out to be a full fledged buildup. Almost 50% of the car is being HANDCRAFTED and to precision.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_10.29.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_10.29_01.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_10.29_02.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_12.02.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_12.16.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_12.24.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p230210_12.19.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 12:24   #32
BHPian

Wow.. its coming out well. Still looking forward to coming over sometime. Please do let me know when you are free.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Pawan,

parallely still go in for a new head.
I have a spare head for my 600 and going by the pictures the one for the 500 looks quite similar. Had it imported from Italy sometime back but never used it. No it is NOT new. Happy to spare if it is useful for you folks. If interested can send you some pictures of the same.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice going Pavan!
BTW, sorry if I'm going OT, but I have to tell you this! Just before I woke up this morning, I had a dream with THIS car in it! Not joking!

It started with me meeting sujith1100 (yes, namma FCB/BCSC Sujith!), who seemed to be cleaning out this same car from the inside- coincidentally it was freshly sprayed all over in red oxide! He then told me we were to 'leave' at once! So we both set out on his Lambretta. I could feel its engine running smoothly when I sat at the back but there wasnt much of pick up, so I suggested to him that I drive! And he let me. On the way we came across a junked fiat select/super-select in an open grassy field on one side, and a junked, mangled car that looked like a Morris on the other! And then some sort of scrapyard with a couple of padminis, Ambys and old dining tables put out....I remember looking out for a Herald among the cars and commenting there was none, before proceeding further! 'woke up somewhere after that!

I must say it was fun!
Old 8th June 2010, 18:25   #35
BHPian

Mr. Merchant's FIAT 500 in Lonavla - Pictures for reference

Hi Pawan,
Here are some pictures of another FIAT 500 in a long term ownership with Mr. Merchant in Lonavla. Hope they are useful to you for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-cimg7812.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-cimg7845.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-cimg7917.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-cimg7924.jpg  

President is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 22:26   #36
BHPian

hi pawan the overheating problem is born with these fiats i remember my dad had an 1969 850 the car would stop almost every two kilometer would throw up my dad had tried to rectify but nothing happend so finally swapped an exchange for an beautiful peugoet404 and to my suprise to find 404 are very difficult its the best shape i liked
imperial.s.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 22:31   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Hi Pawan,
Here are some pictures of another FIAT 500 in a long term ownership with Mr. Merchant in Lonavla. Hope they are useful to you for reference.
Mr Merchant needs a big applause in keeping the car inspite of the said troubles. Though not very Original, nevertheless a running piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
hi pawan the overheating problem is born with these fiats i remember my dad had an 1969 850 the car would stop almost every two kilometer would throw up my dad had tried to rectify but nothing happend so finally swapped an exchange for an beautiful peugoet404 and to my suprise to find 404 are very difficult its the best shape i liked

Yes Sir, Even AirbusDriver's dad owned this car in the olden days, and the inherent trouble remained.

Hopefully, i might have found the solution to solve this issue of overheating, it could be termed "Overconfident" at this juncture of restoration.
Old 9th June 2010, 00:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice going Pavan!
BTW, sorry if I'm going OT, but I have to tell you this! Just before I woke up this morning, I had a dream with THIS car in it! Not joking!

It started with me meeting sujith1100 (yes, namma FCB/BCSC Sujith!), who seemed to be cleaning out this same car from the inside- coincidentally it was freshly sprayed all over in red oxide! He then told me we were to 'leave' at once! So we both set out on his Lambretta. I could feel its engine running smoothly when I sat at the back but there wasnt much of pick up, so I suggested to him that I drive! And he let me. On the way we came across a junked fiat select/super-select in an open grassy field on one side, and a junked, mangled car that looked like a Morris on the other! And then some sort of scrapyard with a couple of padminis, Ambys and old dining tables put out....I remember looking out for a Herald among the cars and commenting there was none, before proceeding further! 'woke up somewhere after that!

I must say it was fun!

Sweet dream, did it become a nightmare later on?

Quote:
Sorry Sir, but when these cars were new, they were not known as toasters. They ran properly. How old was this 1969 850 when your dad had it? Maybe it was not set up properly. More in their old age these cars did start giving trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Mr Merchant needs a big applause in keeping the car inspite of the said troubles. Though not very Original, nevertheless a running piece

Yes Sir, Even AirbusDriver's dad owned this car in the olden days, and the inherent trouble remained.

Hopefully, i might have found the solution to solve this issue of overheating, it could be termed "Overconfident" at this juncture of restoration.
Are you sure that Mr. Merchant's car troubled him? When were Airbusdriver's dad's olden days?

Before anyone jumps on me about being sarcastic, let me explain.
For example, early Beetles were known to be sluggish, specially when climbing an inclination. On a similar note, these Fiats were not known for overheating or bad heads. It was only when these vehicles became old that these weaknesses surfaced with a vengeance.
I sincerely hope Pawan gets that car on the road, there will be many who will ask him for guidance and get many more mice will be on the road.
So I am only cautioning, and hope Pawan will succeed.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 9th June 2010 at 00:34.
Old 9th June 2010, 01:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sweet dream, did it become a nightmare later on?
I cant say as yet, harit! Since it discontinued with my waking up! Hehe!

Maybe it wouldnt end up a nightmare, considering there were no junked Heralds in it!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th June 2010 at 01:19.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:28   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Nice going Pavan!

It started with me meeting sujith1100 (yes, namma FCB/BCSC Sujith!), who seemed to be cleaning out this same car from the inside- coincidentally it was freshly sprayed all over in red oxide............woke up somewhere after that!

I must say it was fun!

Cool, now am in the dreams of every one! How did I possibly come in your dream, we haven't met. Any way it was getting interesting to read until you woke up leaving me behind on my Lambretta
Old 9th June 2010, 09:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Cool, now am in the dreams of every one! How did I possibly come in your dream, we haven't met. Any way it was getting interesting to read until you woke up leaving me behind on my Lambretta
Sujith, that is something even I cant figure out! Hehe!
Well, I bet you were relieved when I left you alone with your lammy!
BTW, who else comes under this everyone category if I might ask?

I just hope I dont get you into trouble by having mentioned this part of my dream though, in case it gives pavan any ideas:

Quote:
sujith1100 (yes, namma FCB/BCSC Sujith!), who seemed to be cleaning out this car from the inside
Old 9th June 2010, 09:56   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
'A running piece' is an understatement. The car was recently driven by him along with his wife all over MP, Rajasthan, Gujarat etc for a peace drive after the Godhra riots.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2010, 10:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Being an avid FIAT fan, I'm glued here Pavan. I still feel , my family sold the beautiful 1100.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2010, 21:35   #44
BHPian

hi when the 850 was with us in 1978 usually the 850 were troublesome my friend in coimbatore has got850 coupe even that car is in mint condition but over heats the car pics are posted on team bhp you have to have an miracle to solve the problem
imperial.s.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2010, 10:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi when the 850 was with us in 1978 usually the 850 were troublesome my friend in coimbatore has got850 coupe even that car is in mint condition but over heats the car pics are posted on team bhp you have to have an miracle to solve the problem

I used to own a Fiat 850 Coupe which was all original and had immense fun with it.

It never had any overheating issues at all. The only issue it used to have was the mechanical fuel pump would pack up frequently so I had an electronic one installed and that was all.

The Topolino is also not prone to overheating provided he radiator is periodically cleaned to ensure that the passages and the other fins are clean.

Once you have an issue with the head corroding then whatever you do to stop it will not work. Only solution is a replacment head.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks