Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 10:53   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
ORIGINAL STEERING WHEEL - Costs almost Rs.14,000 /- Extremely expensive.
After you get the wheel, let me know. I'll send you the horn button. It won't be expensive
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 14:06   #557
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know about the recent developments on the Mouse, hope it wears its new jewellery soon. These continuous improvements are making the Topolino much more desirable over time.
I am delighted to see the condition it is in, looks as if its been freshly restored.

PS: What happened to the donor Topolino, is it sold or are there any plans to restore/mod it.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 15:03   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ORIGINAL STEERING WHEEL - Costs almost Rs.14,000 /- Extremely expensive.

ORIGINAL Tire size 4.00/14 - Nothing compatible available

The Mirrors and the Trafficators are costing a Bomb, but have been driving the car a lot in city traffic these days, without them, it is a Pain.

Great going Pawan garu, the mirrors look cool. By the way Adil Jal Dharukhanwala if I remember correctly have got these tyres specially made / ordered from Michelin. Good for him to have the media connections .

Why not get in touch with him?? Some of us here know him too. May be this will turn fruitful.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 23:40   #559
BANNED

Sitting Jobless at home, so got the Topolino paint treated with Turtle Wax today, Very impressed with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01413.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01420.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01421.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01425.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01435.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01438.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01436.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01411.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th June 2013 at 23:47.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 11:36   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Pavan - the car looks lovely. PLEASE CHANGE THE NUMBER PLATES. They look completely out of place.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:07   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware of Kasli's engine, ............... the MYTH of a weak engine is Broken. ......
Dear Pavan, a slight correction here. There was never a myth, and it has not been broken. Topolino heads when old and worn have killed many cars, that is a fact. You had trouble to get it going. See your own posts. What you have achieved is that you have managed to solve a problem. So now you can offer solutions whenever some one has a Topolino with a dead engine.
About Kasli's engine, I asked you in August 2012, last year because I was curious whether that engine was also a dead one with the same head problems. I am aware after that a lot of water has flowed under the bridge and now you may not be interested.

Quote:
..... But before that, the documentation has to be done, and i am desperately looking for a 1950 Topolino Invoice................
I had made some enquiries just for kicks. How can an authority ask for 50 year old invoices to register a car. I was told that if one joins the Karnataka Vintage car club, they will be able to help. Is that an option for you?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 15:09   #562
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Wow that car looks a beauty after the Waxing.

My 4.5 year old kiddo told me yesterday that when grows big he wants a Big Shiny Car. I guess if he sees your he will dump the Big for a Very Small Shiny Car.

Looks like a show car.

Can do with better number plates (somehow the one on the rear looked better in the earlier page snaps than in the latest ones) and also a swap of a new Fiat monogram upfront when you can source one in better condition.

Last edited by ACM : 17th June 2013 at 15:12.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 21:12   #563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pavan - the car looks lovely. PLEASE CHANGE THE NUMBER PLATES. They look completely out of place.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Will check for the correct font and change it immediately sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear Pavan, a slight correction here. There was never a myth, and it has not been broken. Topolino heads when old and worn have killed many cars, that is a fact. You had trouble to get it going. See your own posts. What you have achieved is that you have managed to solve a problem. So now you can offer solutions whenever some one has a Topolino with a dead engine.
About Kasli's engine, I asked you in August 2012, last year because I was curious whether that engine was also a dead one with the same head problems. I am aware after that a lot of water has flowed under the bridge and now you may not be interested.

I had made some enquiries just for kicks. How can an authority ask for 50 year old invoices to register a car. I was told that if one joins the Karnataka Vintage car club, they will be able to help. Is that an option for you?

Cheers harit
What water under the bridge sir, Poora baadh aaya tha ..

There are NO SHORT CUTS when it comes to KA RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^^ Wow that car looks a beauty after the Waxing.

My 4.5 year old kiddo told me yesterday that when grows big he wants a Big Shiny Car. I guess if he sees your he will dump the Big for a Very Small Shiny Car.

Looks like a show car.

Can do with better number plates (somehow the one on the rear looked better in the earlier page snaps than in the latest ones) and also a swap of a new Fiat monogram upfront when you can source one in better condition.
Thanks ACM.

Drove the car quite a lot today in heavy traffic and rains, had fun.

Got the ORVM's fitted, inner door grab handles fitted, Now waiting for

1) Wiper arms
2) Pop-out trafficators
3) Rag-top hood retainer clips
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01455.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01456.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01457.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc01458.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 14:09   #564
BANNED

A little update on the Topolino.

After its restoration 2 yrs ago, the first major issue that surfaced was the steering column, which we repaired early 2012, then 6 months later, the propeller shaft coupling gave way, which was an easy 2 day repair, all going fine, been driving the Topo regularly, sooper runner it has been, but today morning as I started it ad a routine, I see a little coolant leakage, opened the hood to see the radiator has developed a leak. Third breakdown.

A small issue anyways, took out the radiator for repairs. hope to have it repaired by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-20131231_122656.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-20131231_123220.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-20131231_123243.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-20131231_122822.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-20131231_122711.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 15:50   #565
BHPian

Hi Pavan

Wish you and your family a very happy new year. I was going through your thread and I am really happy to say that the restoration is awesome. its just stands out and speaks for itself. In fact thats the same case with all your projects. hats off to your passion and detailed approach.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 23:14   #566
BHPian

Hello All!

Sorry, I haven't posted for a long time.
I had forgotten my password and not tried after a few failed attempts.

Today, something triggered me wanting to reach out to everybody following this thread.
I'm totally disillusioned and hence this post!

This is my Car.
The 1950 Fiat Topliono. A project which started in 2010...still a work in progress!
Even though The Restorer says it is complete, it is not!
I had to force him to deliver it after him keeping her for 4 long years! And the condition it was delivered was appalling!

After 5 long years and 9+ lacs spent on this, it is still not running and is sitting in my house...half baked!

Today he opened a wound which I was willing to close painfully!
He made a comment on his FB page with the Car's picture and said it was a Good car...but it was in Wrong hands!!

After 5 years and making me spend close to 10 lacs how does the restorer sleep after doing such a shabby job!?
I would like to know if all restorations work this way in our country?

My Restorer posts pictures all over the internet and says the car is Good, while I have not driven it 1(ONE) kilometer?
And that is the honest truth folks. Not a Single Kilometer! :(

Let this be a lesson for all those who dream to restore old cars!! Never again...for me!!!

- AirbusDriver ( Jeevan Joy )
AIRBUSDriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 00:20   #567
BHPian

This is why I'm going public today.

He posts this on a 2012 Topolino picture...saying that they has driven this car a lot and that this car is Good. But it is in the wrong hands!? While it is a half baked car returned to me in 2014!!

He says he delivered it in 2012! Just look at his own posts in this thread! The last post shows the Car with him on 31 Dec 2013!

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-image.jpg

The truth is this !
1. Car was delivered after 4 years of the so called ' Concours ' restoration...
2. Close to 10 lacs was spent on this
3. Car is not running and needs a lot of work. Including Engine, Electricals, Paint and finish!

He posts a lot of Flashy pictures of the Car all over the Internet!

I was Irate when I saw this post! He destroys my dreams and make me spend a fortune and has the Audacity to say My beloved car is in wrong hands!?

This was my response...which he promptly erased! Why erase it if he is not guilty!? He could have replied and explained his Stance!? He has no Explanation !

Last edited by noopster : 5th August 2015 at 14:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
AIRBUSDriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 11:06   #568
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBUSDriver View Post
Hello All!
Let this be a lesson for all those who dream to restore old cars!! Never again...for me!!!
- AirbusDriver ( Jeevan Joy )
Dear Jeevan,

Restoration and running of the vintage cars are not for the faint hearted. One has to go through a lot of pain and at times it can be never ending. All along I have tried to explain people who are interested in buying and restoring cars, should
  1. Understand how cars are valued. For example a convertible will be valued 4-5 times a sedan
  2. One must understand the valuations of a mass produced car.
  3. Understand why you are getting the unrestored car so cheap. Remember nothing comes cheap.
  4. Check around with third parties at what price restored cars, similar to your car are being sold at. If car are being sold at 5-6 lakhs, it does not make any sense in spending more than the estimated valuations on the restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
. Topolino heads when old and worn have killed many cars, that is a fact. You had trouble to get it going.
Cheers harit
Quoting Harit , we always knew that the engine was going to be a challenge

Wish you all the very best

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 11:31   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBUSDriver View Post
I was Irate when I saw this post!
He destroys my dreams and make me spend a fortune and has the Audacity to say My beloved car is in wrong hands!?

This was my response...which he promptly erased! Why erase it if he is not guilty!? He could have replied and explained his Stance!? He has no Explanation !
Dear Jeevan,

I neither know you nor Pawan, but felt I needed to comment on your post .

In your earlier post, number 537 of 6th august 2012, You state that this car has come home and was driven at speeds of 40 kmph or so for nearly 100 kms.

Now you say something different.

Which post would you like us to believe??
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:15   #570
BHPian

To restore is not an easy task. The toppolino is not a good example to run daily as the car itself has a head issue AFAIK. The cost of restoration varies on the level of quality you dedicate to the machine. The car had gained a lot of attention when it was showcased at the Fiat Cafe launch and then MD of Fiat Chrysler Enrico Atansio had personally given positive comments on the car.
Nimish anthony is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks