Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 06:12   #586
BHPian

Re: Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBUSDriver View Post
There's a lot of Pics and Correspondence which I will post for the benefit of future Restorers!
I don't want anyone to go through this mess...

This was our last conversation on Whatsapp...the whole transcript can be posted if the moderators allow.
I will upload the entire conversation for clarity...stand by.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-screenshot_20150806012504.png  

Old 6th August 2015, 07:08   #587
BANNED

Quote:
I will upload the entire conversation for clarity...stand by.
Also be kind enough to explain the whole world, How the car got restored after 2nd December 2011, that was when you lost job, it will be quiet amusing for everyone to understand how can a car get restored after someone stops funding it, more so deliver the car without getting the bills cleared

Be man enough to own up your goof ups, You've cheated enough people in similar fashion, do you want me to expose your full story here. I expect you to post complete chat history.

I will reserve my comments from now on, you please start posting and ranting, the thread has enough evidence of your double standards.

A good read up till PAGE 36 will give everyone an understanding of whats happened, You guys can be a judge.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 6th August 2015 at 07:16.
Old 6th August 2015, 09:44   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldn't this be offline with the mods if required, and they can post upon resolution?
Seems like a lot of name calling and slinging is coming up soon.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:43   #589
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Whatever has to be said has been. No more fights on the matter. Suggest you guys take it up offline, sit down to talk and amicably sort out the dispute. But we will not allow any more posts on the matter.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 12:03   #590
BHPian

My experience with Pavan Kadam with regards to restoration of my bug was indeed a pleasant one . From the onset we were very clear as to what was to be done with the car and how much it would cost . I was very much involved in the process . In fact Pavan forced me to get involved . He gave me weekly updates on what was happening with the car, every penny spend was accounted for . There times when we didn't agree on certain aspects but at the end of the day it was a very friendly way of setting things right . I made several trips to his workshop to see the car and I always felt welcome . The end result was he did a tremendous job on my car . Even today when I take ride in it I am thankful to him for what he did .The outcome of any restoration depends on the car owners understanding of the work being done and active involvement all through out

Cheers !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Also be kind enough to explain the whole world, How the car got restored after 2nd December 2011, that was when you lost job, it will be quiet amusing for everyone to understand how can a car get restored after someone stops funding it, more so deliver the car without getting the bills cleared

Be man enough to own up your goof ups, You've cheated enough people in similar fashion, do you want me to expose your full story here. I expect you to post complete chat history.

I will reserve my comments from now on, you please start posting and ranting, the thread has enough evidence of your double standards.

A good read up till PAGE 36 will give everyone an understanding of whats happened, You guys can be a judge.
peeve is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 18:24   #591
BHPian

I have had a similar experience with this person recently; I sent my 1995 (W124) Mercedes Benz E200 over to him to fix an idling problem, an AC issue and a few minor electrical niggles. The car came back with lights not working (parking, brake, headlights) and AC blower half as effective as it was before and AC working erratically. He promised to send an electrician over to attend to the lights but that never happened. He stopped taking my calls. Messages didn't get a response either.
The idling issue came back to haunt the car after driving about 12km. I then noticed a spring that connects a roller on the throttle body to a clamp was missing (this activates a micro switch), my new AC relay was blown due to erroneous wiring, blower vents were glued on to the dashboard instead of a press fit and 100/130W bulbs in the headlight assembly (I was running 55/60W) wired bypassing the relay!
After lecturing me about using the Mercedes recommended spark plug model only (he made me wait some 2 weeks to procure the plugs) and charging me for them, I discovered he had not changed the plugs at all and the old Iridiums were still on the car.
Overall, a very unpleasant experience dealing with Mr. Bugstop!
Prozac is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 19:03   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeve View Post
My experience with Pavan Kadam with regards to restoration of my bug was indeed a pleasant one . From the onset we were very clear as to what was to be done with the car and how much it would cost . I was very much involved in the process . In fact Pavan forced me to get involved . He gave me weekly updates on what was happening with the car, every penny spend was accounted for . There times when we didn't agree on certain aspects but at the end of the day it was a very friendly way of setting things right . I made several trips to his workshop to see the car and I always felt welcome . The end result was he did a tremendous job on my car . Even today when I take ride in it I am thankful to him for what he did .The outcome of any restoration depends on the car owners understanding of the work being done and active involvement all through out

Cheers !!!
There's a big difference in Restoring a VW Beetle and a rare 1950 Fiat Topolino to Concours' Spec.

I had left no stone unturned.

It was my Experience that I stated, since it is my Car and this thread was about it's Restoration.

No other Restoration or experiences can be used to justify this Restoration.

Like they say...don't Judge if you have not walked my path. Yours may have been an easier one!

Anybody is Welcome to come visit the Car in Bangalore.
The car sits waiting to be Rescued.

I'm out of the Country.
I will take up the Restoration soon and bring her up to her Glory. She deserves much Better!

Please standby for further updates on her Re- build.
I shall post her Present Pics and her future Restoration pictures!!
AIRBUSDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 19:32   #593
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
I have had a similar experience with this person recently; I sent my 1995 (W124) Mercedes Benz E200 over to him to fix an idling problem, an AC issue and a few minor electrical niggles. The car came back with lights not working (parking, brake, headlights) and AC blower half as effective as it was before and AC working erratically. He promised to send an electrician over to attend to the lights but that never happened. He stopped taking my calls. Messages didn't get a response either.
The idling issue came back to haunt the car after driving about 12km. I then noticed a spring that connects a roller on the throttle body to a clamp was missing (this activates a micro switch), my new AC relay was blown due to erroneous wiring, blower vents were glued on to the dashboard instead of a press fit and 100/130W bulbs in the headlight assembly (I was running 55/60W) wired bypassing the relay!
After lecturing me about using the Mercedes recommended spark plug model only (he made me wait some 2 weeks to procure the plugs) and charging me for them, I discovered he had not changed the plugs at all and the old Iridiums were still on the car.
Overall, a very unpleasant experience dealing with Mr. Bugstop!

Sriram,

I had very little to do on your car after RACETECH screwed it, You said it yourself.

I only helped you in sorting out the electricals, unfortunately other issues were beyond repair, i sent the car over with clear instructions on what needs to be done during next service.
Old 9th August 2015, 22:28   #594
BHPian

Okay Folks, There is some Good News about the TOPOLINO!

Just like GTO and some others suggested, Pavan Kadam and I took it offline and have reached and Understanding. This was late last night.

The Deal was Brokered by a Common friend who is in Dubai. Pavan in Bangalore and I...in Africa!

Long story Short, we both agreed that there was inconsistencies from both sides and have decided to let Bygones be Bygones ...for the sake of the TOPOLINO!!

The deal is as below. Pavan has agreed.

And I will assist him to bring her back to life and transform her to the Concours' spec car we envisaged.
No Grudges. No Egos. Just the Car!

Pavan Kadam, If you need to say anything, please do now. Or keep the Peace and let's move forward to make this the Best TOPOLINO in India!!

Thanks to TBHP and GTO

Regards

Jeevan Joy ( AirbusDriver )

--------------

The remaining points are attached which was addressed and agreed by Pavan.

We will soon start the Re-build and start from Zero!
I will supervise everything and BugStop will be mine for a few months.
Everything will be fine in the End!

Thank You all for your interest and your Time!

Watch this Space for Before/ After Pics of the restoration. This TOPOLINO is going to be a Head Turner!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-_20150809_171145.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-_20150809_171224.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th August 2015 at 18:58. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Thanks.
AIRBUSDriver is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 07:22   #595
BANNED

Hi Folks,

I have nothing much to add after all that has been said and discussed, Ive always maintained a transparent effort from day 1 this restoration started. Each and every aspect can be clearly seen in this thread, so as to not undermine any efforts done so far, As agreed by Me and Joy, there has been quite a lot of short comings with the car when it was delivered, Which has been due to lot of limitations with circumstances involving Joy and Me.

This restoration was challenging for me from the word go and has been expensive, as it has involved a donor car and expensive spares procured from Switzerland , all expenses has been in concurrence with Joy so far.

Nothing much to ponder over thats been said and done in the past, Constructive criticism for better is always welcome here, sorry to those who know nothing about whats happening and try to add more fuel to fire, you are requested to stay away. This matter had to be resolved in this manner, i would like to thank Joy and his friend for being fair and striking peace , Now since things has been resolved mutually, we start with a Fresh mindset and a Clean Slate and have let bygones be bygones, i've given Joy a free Reign at my workshop with regards to the further restoration of the car.

This time one final fix with no hinderances or Limitations. If we achieve our result we Rejoice and if we screw up, we kick each other and strive for better. For old times sake and for the little car in which i've personally had wonderful times, we've agreed to patch up and move forward and have agreed to set Realistic goals in achieving our final result . Thanks everyone.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th August 2015 at 07:40.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:29   #596
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear the issues have been soughed out amicably, looking forward to see a car which should make both happy forever. We are eager to see the Mouse, part-2 rebuild. All the best to both of you.

Last edited by chanu : 10th August 2015 at 15:30. Reason: Grammar
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:09   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I shall refrain from making any comments on this specific topic, except that I hope good will come out of it.

The reason why I have restored only my personal cars is this: it all starts with your thoughts in your mind of what exactly you want the car to be, when it is complete. And please note that if you actually want it to happen, you have to do it yourself. There is no other way. Every radiator joint, every single hose pipe, every single hose clip, every single wire, every single solder joint, every single headlight alignment and aiming, every single taillight sitting perfectly straight, complete wiring routed and taped for permanency, no movement whatsoever, every single bumper and its spacers to be "original" only without any pre-damage, then its alignment, every single grille mounting done by M6*1.0 size nut and bolt (instead of self tapping screw) flush with the grille with plain and spring washers from the inside, the 2 no's M5*0.8 screws at the top of the grille taken from the Mikuni carburettor kit, every fuel line original, routed and clipped from rear to front, every brake pipe attached by plastic coated U clamps, every single brake hose from Brakes India only, every single brake banjo bolt with rectangular section washers as it came in production only, every single engine tune-up parameter perfectly achieved even before "major work" starts, accelerator pedal to be original only, assembled at 9 degrees to the car center line as per drawing, every single camber, caster and toe set to obtain perfect tracking, every wheel bearing lubricated with correct grade and weight of grease, the list is endless! And even after doing all this, constant care and attention is always needed to keep the car going like new. This includes schedules for periodic replacements of rubber parts after 2 years of use or non-use etc.

Now tell me, without casting any doubts on the capabilities of anybody, which garage will even think like this, let alone do all this? The place where I do my cars is just an operating facility, they control nothing. That's why I have politely declined restoring cars of friends etc., although many friends have approached me to do it. Besides, I just don't have the time!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS: "there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way"!
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 20:49   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I shall refrain from making any comments on this specific topic, except that I hope good will come out of it.

The reason why I have restored only my personal cars is this: it all starts with your thoughts in your mind of what exactly you want the car to be, when it is complete. And please note that if you actually want it to happen, you have to do it yourself. There is no other way. Every radiator joint, every single hose pipe, every single hose clip, every single wire, every single solder joint, every single headlight alignment and aiming, every single taillight sitting perfectly straight, complete wiring routed and taped for permanency, no movement whatsoever, every single bumper and its spacers to be "original" only without any pre-damage, then its alignment, every single grille mounting done by M6*1.0 size nut and bolt (instead of self tapping screw) flush with the grille with plain and spring washers from the inside, the 2 no's M5*0.8 screws at the top of the grille taken from the Mikuni carburettor kit, every fuel line original, routed and clipped from rear to front, every brake pipe attached by plastic coated U clamps, every single brake hose from Brakes India only, every single brake banjo bolt with rectangular section washers as it came in production only, every single engine tune-up parameter perfectly achieved even before "major work" starts, accelerator pedal to be original only, assembled at 9 degrees to the car center line as per drawing, every single camber, caster and toe set to obtain perfect tracking, every wheel bearing lubricated with correct grade and weight of grease, the list is endless! And even after doing all this, constant care and attention is always needed to keep the car going like new. This includes schedules for periodic replacements of rubber parts after 2 years of use or non-use etc.

Now tell me, without casting any doubts on the capabilities of anybody, which garage will even think like this, let alone do all this? The place where I do my cars is just an operating facility, they control nothing. That's why I have politely declined restoring cars of friends etc., although many friends have approached me to do it. Besides, I just don't have the time!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS: "there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way"!

Thanks a lot doctor for this very informative post. This is one of the best post to come by in recent times. Truly (in general and not relating to any person or company). Many forget the very basics of Car maintenance and repair. This is what causes issues later. The chalta hai attitude is what has killed the basic car culture in the country. I wish that people who took meticulous attention to detail were available in plenty. The Jugaad works in few cases but not for each and every thing / case. We have overused our jugaad and are now world renowned for that .

P.S.: I am happy that we will now be seeing the Mouse V2.0. We are so excited about this.
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:08   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The remaining points are attached which was addressed and agreed by Pavan.

We will soon start the Re-build and start from Zero!
I will supervise everything and BugStop will be mine for a few months.
Everything will be fine in the End!

Thank You all for your interest and your Time!

Watch this Space for Before/ After Pics of the restoration. This TOPOLINO is going to be a Head Turner!!

Why don't you talk to Allan Almeida for doing the second restoration, he did three of them for the Cartier this year and got awards for them.
wasif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 11:29   #600
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful to declare publicly about sharing a peace pipe. That is the way to go. Now all is hunky dory and Bangalore will see a beautifully restored Topolino.

What does not quite fit the bill is talk of a timeline. Who has ever got a car restored and got to drive it within a fixed predetermined time? My guess is that it will be just a lucky few.

My suggestion is that first the engine be fixed. I think that you will need a new head, this head has been exposed to all kinds of stresses, hopefully the block is not damaged. This could be the only hurdle, once crossed the rest should be easy and could be done in some kind of a time frame.

So, gents, start on your engine first IMHO!

Wasif mentions Allan, below are two pics of the Goenka Topolino's at the Cartier show clicked by Pawan himself. Nice cars, and I believe that one of them was driven when collecting a prize. Therefore Allan should be able to give some inputs to be of help to you.

Behram has nailed it, for a peaceful life one should restore by himself and supervise the outsourced work. But others can't do that for many valid reasons and have to rely on a restorer. The trick is to spot the genuine guy.

Last words, focus on the engine.

Cheers harit

Photo credits Pavan Kadam on t-bhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-topo1.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-topo2.jpg  

harit is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks