Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Related Memorabilia

Memorabilia is something which almost every car enthusiast has collected. Some go out of their way to collect these, while others just keep what comes their way.
There are many items which have become collectible memorabilia. The following are the most popular, but there are others too:
Enamel Sign Boards
Badges, to include club and event badges
Decorative car parts like radiators, wheels, steering wheels, lamps, meters, wheelcaps, monograms,badges mascots etc.
Catalogues and Sales Brochures which already have a separate thread
Pins in the form of tie and lapel pins.
Photographs
Advertising material like postcards, posters, coasters, caps, t-shirts, carry-bags, banners,- all having some automobile related motives.
Car paperwork: Old licences and registration books, invoices, letters, dealer correspondence, insurance correspondence, payment reminders, offers, pricelists, old registration books, service manuals, service reminders, petrol bills, letterheads, envelopes, infact any paper connected to automobiles.
Postage stamps with automotive motives
Toys, many famous tin toys were available like the Burmah-Shell tanker truck.
Scale models strictly speaking do not fit in here, there is a separate thread for them anyway and they fall in their own category, unless they were brought out my an automotive company, like Michelin tyres who came out with models of their old delivery vans.
In this thread these items are being show cased for enthusiasts to take out their memorabilia and share their collections with us.
And then there is the odd item not falling into any of the above categories, like this Packard advertisement on a 1940 Telephone Book of Mumbai. Great ad, note the description for an airconditioned car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-op-packard-telephone-book.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Another item shown here is a paper, a page from an invoice issued by Rolls-Royce to the Maharaja of Wankaner.
Even in the old days garages of nigh end cars charged for washers. Today the only thing free is the air in the tyres, radiators do not have water anymore, and coolant is charged for.

The collector world is quite small. I have only one page of this invoice, I believe that about 12 other pages are with a collector in Delhi. When I verify that it is indeed so, I shall give him this page. The dealer told me that this page was separated because it was not in such a good condition.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-01.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:13   #3
BHPian

Harit saab,

Thank you for starting a nice thread.

I got few memorabilia's and here are few key-fobs

Rest in next.....
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-img_0758.jpg  

girishpv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Neat thread

Here are a couple of very neat period club badges I found in Pune. The important point to note is that these were period clubs, not current clubs celebrating old bikes.

Poona Lambretta Club - beautifully stamped in brass.
Vintage Related Memorabilia-club.jpg

DMCSC Poona - no idea what it is, but looking at the single cylinder blocks, I would hazard a guess like Deccan Motor Cycle and Scooter Club or something nearabouts.
Vintage Related Memorabilia-dmcsc.jpg

Two neat registration plates, series dating to 1958/60 and 1964/65. BMF came from a scrapyard, must've been a large car. MRZ came from the owner of a Fiat that he had earlier scrapped.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-plates.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

And for the Fiat fans, correspondence from a future customer with the local dealer.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-letter01.jpg Vintage Related Memorabilia-letter02.jpg

This car seems to have been dispatched rather quickly - only 2 years
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
And for the Fiat fans, correspondence from a future customer with the local dealer. This car seems to have been dispatched rather quickly - only 2 years
Maybe they paid in foreign exchange.

Attached is a postcard, one of a series of which I have three. All show Buicks, price is in $ but the amount is left blank. And they talk of payments to suit your purse, installment plans. Even in 1937/38 folks bought on credit!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-op-memorabilia-02.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 19:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a service reminder for Bombay Cycle and a letter addressed to the Kotah state from Ford. Both were available on eBay.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-bombaycycle.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-ford08.jpg

Here is a very interesting share certificate that fellow member Farhan Kidwai had posted earlier

Vintage Related Memorabilia-bombaymotorservice.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:44   #8
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached is the photo of the 1959 Morris Mini Woody we used to own till 2005. The various badges on the grill was collected by my Dad since the 1950's. When we sold this car we retained the badges which were unfortunately stolen a few years back. Guess I only have this picture to remind me of the small treasure we had

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc00982.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 01:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a very interesting share certificate that fellow member Farhan Kidwai had posted earlier
Let's see how much of this share is worth now. I loved this certificate very much. Tks for sharing & ofcourse the V-Twin DMCSC.
Old 4th July 2010, 09:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Attached is the photo of the 1959 Morris Mini Woody we used to own till 2005. The various badges on the grill was collected by my Dad since the 1950's.
Speaking of grill mounted badges, this is a Mk 2 Amby owned for ages I'm told by a Parsi family in Pune. As a kid I had taken these pictures of the grille.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-01.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-02.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-03.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-04.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here are the Original receipts of purchase of a Ford Model A in 1929 purchased at Nagpur by Mr Chawak of Chhindwara.These were posted earlier too
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-dscn0936.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dscn0937.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 21:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an interesting invitation card I have, dated 1940, for the opening of a new showroom at Marine Drive. What is most interesting is the Hotchkiss logo on the top. I wonder if it was related to commercial/defence vehicles, as Hotchkiss passenger cars were rare as hen's teeth in Bombay, 1940!

Vintage Related Memorabilia-hotchkiss.jpg

OT - we know one surviving Hotchkiss with Bhogilal, and I was told that one used to be with a prominent Parsi family in Bombay. Any more around?
Old 5th July 2010, 22:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread and nice to see so many motoring artefacts (not archaeological)!
Quote:
Here is an interesting invitation card I have, dated 1940, for the opening of a new showroom at Marine Drive. What is most interesting is the Hotchkiss logo on the top. I wonder if it was related to commercial/defence vehicles, as Hotchkiss passenger cars were rare as hen's teeth in Bombay, 1940!
OT - we know one surviving Hotchkiss with Bhogilal, and I was told that one used to be with a prominent Parsi family in Bombay. Any more around?
Karl the card is so fresh even today that if you change the year from 1940 to 2010 it rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Here are the Original receipts of purchase of a Ford Model A in 1929 purchased at Nagpur by Mr Chawak of Chhindwara.These were posted earlier too
agspins saw these receipts displayed by the gentleman. He has since framed these.
Quote:
Speaking of grill mounted badges, this is a Mk 2 Amby owned for ages I'm told by a Parsi family in Pune. As a kid I had taken these pictures of the grille.
Was wondering whether these badges allow any air to reach the radiator for cooling!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th July 2010 at 22:32.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Was wondering whether these badges allow any air to reach the radiator for cooling!
Yes, harit had mentioned that too once. Too many badges tend to obstruct the radiator cooling.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Few reciepts from our club cars -

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc04760.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc04838.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc04842.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc04843.jpg
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed