Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 18:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes, harit had mentioned that too once. Too many badges tend to obstruct the radiator cooling.
Actually, what I had mentioned was that in many vintage car rallies people tend to tie the competition number placard over the radiator grill, thus obstructing the air flow to the radiator. These small badges in reasonable quantity will not have a too great effect.

Below is a front and rear view of a reminder for service from TV Sundram (TVS) sent in 1960. It was sent from Rajagopalam to Pudukkotai. Note that the postal service put a separate "DELY" stamp. Today the receiving post office stamp does not mention "DELY".
Hopefully Mr. Ramanathan Chettiar got good service.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-02.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-03.jpg  

Old 17th July 2010, 16:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

A very popular item for automotive Memorabilia collections are enamelled boards. I know of atleast 4 good sized collections in India, including our Awini.
This is a NSU board, slightly larger than shown in the picture, and unused. Sourced from a street market in Germany for 18 Euro after negotiation. Comes to about Rs 1050/-. Not bad when we see prices in India.
This is a genuine enamel board, many tin boards are also now available in such markets, but these are not the same.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-04.jpg  

Old 17th July 2010, 18:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Another service reminder postcard from TVS sent in 1962 from Rajagopalpuram to Devakottai. Sadly they did not mention the make or registration number.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-05.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-06.jpg  

Old 31st August 2010, 13:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

25 years ago, in 1986 our first car, a company sponsored Mk 4 Ambassador came into our lives. I've written about the buying experience on this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1440072

And a pic in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1511439

What a coincidence, that just this morning Dad found an original price list of Austin Distributors among his old office papers.

This one is an accessories price list for Ambassador and Contessa vehicles. Some items (Godrej Door lock for Amby, a Watch, Heat proof ceiling) are downright funny in this day and age. Also note 5 pcs Alloy Rims for Ambassador for just Rs 3K!

The double ticked ones are the items we actually selected.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-scan0002.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-scan0008.jpg
Old 1st September 2010, 01:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
25 years ago, in 1986 our first car, a company sponsored Mk 4 Ambassador came into our lives. I've written about the buying experience on this post:
This one is an accessories price list for Ambassador and Contessa vehicles. Some items (Godrej Door lock for Amby, a Watch, Heat proof ceiling) are downright funny in this day and age. Also note 5 pcs Alloy Rims for Ambassador for just Rs 3K!]
Nice one ! My God, such an exhaustive list of accessories way back in 1986 - this almost looks like the list dealers stick into your face in Maruti and Hyundai showrooms !! (save the prices of course ).
Old 4th September 2010, 15:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

In another thread we were talking about acytelene lamps. Here is a very old lamp, probably a rear light because of the red glass. Made by ELI GRIFFITHS & SONS LTD, Bradford Street, Birmingham. I googled and found that name.
Here are a few pictures including the label. It still has to be cleaned up. Just aquired by me.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-08.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-09.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-10.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-11.jpg  

Old 7th September 2010, 15:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In another thread we were talking about acytelene lamps. Here is a very old lamp, probably a rear light because of the red glass. Made by ELI GRIFFITHS & SONS LTD, Bradford Street, Birmingham. I googled and found that name.
Here are a few pictures including the label. It still has to be cleaned up. Just aquired by me.

Cheers harit
harit bhai, this is a parrafin lamp, in all likelyhood, from the railways, i have seen similar lamps which were used to signal trains at stations, this however has a rear mounting, so it might be a crossing lamp or a tail lamp on the train.
Old 9th September 2010, 19:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Harit ji from where did you got this lamp. Its a treasure for people like us. If i may ask you how much did you shell out for this. I am thinking of purchasing atleast one vintage lamp from the next Autojumble so asked you the price.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
harit bhai, this is a parrafin lamp, in all likelyhood, from the railways, i have seen similar lamps which were used to signal trains at stations, this however has a rear mounting, so it might be a crossing lamp or a tail lamp on the train.
Hi Awini,
You may be right, may have been for of a functional lamp for railways as not very decorative as normally found on cars. But could still be used as a tail lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Harit ji from where did you got this lamp. Its a treasure for people like us. If i may ask you how much did you shell out for this. I am thinking of purchasing atleast one vintage lamp from the next Autojumble so asked you the price.
There is no price as such, just like the cars. I would say the range is from 5K to anything, actually open ended, depending upon the make, size and design. And if a pair, then again an increase in price.

Cheers harit
Old 11th September 2010, 23:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are a couple of old photos of my room as a kid that I dug up.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-room02.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-room03.jpg

At one point there was so much junk all over that I couldn't even open the lid of the Piano to play it. Everything is now in storage thought.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2010, 00:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are a couple of old photos of my room as a kid that I dug up.

Attachment 422210

Attachment 422211

At one point there was so much junk all over that I couldn't even open the lid of the Piano to play it. Everything is now in storage thought.
My goodness what a treasure trove, I see a lot of Beetle and a Porchse and many more scale models, wow din't knew you had scale models.
Old 12th September 2010, 07:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Karl ji were you doing some sort of research on the VW Beetles. A lot of pics and scale models of VW including the badges just got me confused. Really, amazing stuff you had.
Old 12th September 2010, 08:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

One of those scale models is rather special - it is a model of the 1 Millionth Beetle produced on 5th Aug 1955, which still stands in the Wolfsburg Museum.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-gold03.jpg
Vintage Related Memorabilia-gold04.jpg

Anyways, coming back to memorabilia, here is a neat badge that must have been given out at an earlier event in Bombay some years back. It would be great to still have these distributed at events, makes for a good rememberance.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-a03.jpg

Plus here is the numberplate of a single owner 1947 Chrysler New Yorker. The WIAA (Westeren India Automobile Association) enamel badge was fitted when new itself. Beautifully finished, I've never seen another one quite like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-newyorker04.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 23:55   #29
BHPian

some of my stuff

Heres what remains of a Joseph Lucas Cycle Lamp, There were two other similar but complete lamps but now i am not able to find them. Last time i had seen them was around ten years back.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05706.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05707.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05714.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05719.jpg

This is a 1890s Carriage lamp made by Henry B Sleeman - London, which could also be used in Automobiles, this one is powered by spring loaded candle, I also want to know if there is any record of candle power used on Automobiles.

It was installed beside the front door of our house and the candle was lit whenever there was power cut. you can see the installed lamp in one of my earlier post (near the switch board near the rear door).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1225555

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05647.jpg
Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05652.jpg
Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05653.jpg
Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05643.jpg
invinci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2010, 00:31   #30
BHPian

some more

This is a Dunlop Tyre Pressure Guage unused since it was made (i am not sure when it was made, we have this since late 70s)

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05705.jpg

This is a Ansonian Carriage Clock of 1890s, again i am curious if carriage clock were ever used on automobiles.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05722.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05724.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05723.jpg

Some emblems, Can anyone recognise from where these come from?

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05670.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05673.jpg

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05680.jpg

Key Fob for each of my vehicles.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-dsc05700.jpg
invinci is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed