Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 17:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage Related Memorabilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
AA/SI very much exists as per my knowledge, as do all the AAs in India. Its the Southern branch of AA, just as you have AA/WI in MH (if I'm not wrong?)
As far as my knowledge goes, WIAA (Western India Automobile Association) and AASI, Automobile Association of South India were separate organisations, run by separate committtees. Maybe they had some common affiliations.
I did what I should have done in the first place, googled it. AASI indeed does still exist.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 25th April 2011 at 17:51.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala there is a place called Changanacherry which should be having a stadium, for whichever sport they play. In 1967 the Municipal council of that place conducted a raffle with 101 prizes, first and second prize were an Amby and a Herald. if you did not want these, they gave Rs 20,000 and Rs 15,000 in cash. Anyone from there knows about this stadium? I am sure that it must have been built. Here is a raffle ticket, price was Rs 1/-.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-20.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-21.jpg  

Old 26th April 2011, 12:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In Kerala there is a place called Changanacherry which should be having a stadium, for whichever sport they play. In 1967 the Municipal council of that place conducted a raffle with 101 prizes, first and second prize were an Amby and a Herald. if you did not want these, they gave Rs 20,000 and Rs 15,000 in cash.
Wow, 'wish I got to participate in this lottery- I would've by all means been too happy to settle for the second prize rather than the first!!
And if I won the first, I'd have gladly swapped it with the second prize winner!

PS: Did the Amby cost only 20k at that time? I thought it was much more, being the highest-price car among the 'big' three then?

Last edited by Stanher : 26th April 2011 at 12:03.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

This is an advertisement in The Illustrated London News of November 1935. This issue was India specific, and the Taj Hotel had placed an ad. They show the good life having a telephone in every room, even a garaging fascility, dance, music, and show a sporty car again part of the good life.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memorabilia-22.jpg  

Old 1st May 2011, 12:26   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, 'wish I got to participate in this lottery- I would've by all means been too happy to settle for the second prize rather than the first!!
And if I won the first, I'd have gladly swapped it with the second prize winner!

PS: Did the Amby cost only 20k at that time? I thought it was much more, being the highest-price car among the 'big' three then?
The Ambassador used to cost around Rs 20000/- till the mid 1970's.The Fiat used to cost some Rs 18K while the Herald would cost some Rs 16 K.Fiats commanded a waiting list that was longer than the other two.Every price increase would have to be vetted by the government.
In 1975, the automobile makers won a case in the Supreme Court against the government price control on motor vehicles. Thats when the price was upped to some Rs 31K for the Mark 3 immediately.
Lambrettas were sold for some Rs 3100/- and by 1975 the price became some Rs 4800/-.
So as you will see, the price control regime was effective ever since the import of cars and other automobiles were stopped in 1955, to introduce long term commitment from all foreign companies operating here.The government believed that they were making merry, by bringing in imports and selling the cars etc and diverting all the money earned, back to the country of origin.
Old 30th June 2011, 19:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

Many of us collect badges of car clubs. The most commonly available to us here in India is the WIAA badge, this has also now stopped.
Another badge of which a few are around is of the Royal Automobile Club of UK. I have seen that many clubs associated with the RAC had their own badge in theory. But it was made by the same firm in England, and the center piece fitted was pertaining to a particular club. This center piece is an insert, maybe the outer part was a standard available item. Here is such a badge of the Burma Motor Association, with a beautiful enamelled peacock in the center. This really took my fancy and I hope that it is not so common.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-burma-11.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-burma-22.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 30th June 2011 at 19:05.
Old 5th August 2011, 18:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is the back page of a brochure issued by National Motor Training School which is still located on Forjett street in Mumbai. The car appears to be an Austin. Inside the booklet there is a lot of info even taxi fares, apart from the traffic rules, road signs etc.
Early piece of Mumbai motoring history.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memo-001.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2011, 18:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

This is a badge is from a Motorsport event of 1951 held in Darmstadt, Germany which is near Frankfurt. This event was held together with something called Heiner Fest, which is a folk festival. There are similar badges on Motoring events associated with Carneval, these are more colourful.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-memo-004tbhp.jpg  

Old 24th October 2011, 08:56   #69
BHPian

Vintage & Classic cars: Badges, Identification plates, Monograms & Regalia

Welcome all,

Just felt this page was much-needed since we are witnessing now-a-days a phenomenal interest in reviving our rich motoring heritage "touch wood". Together let's make this link a one-stop shop for the die-hard Vintage & Classic enthusiasts for all their Automobilia needs.

Cheers!
Vintage Khan

Let's get started...

My 1948 Hindustan-10 and 1939 Wolseley-8
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-1948-hindustan10.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-1939-wolseley8-.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 17:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

While going through a flea market in Germany I came across this monogram.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2011, 18:06   #71
J.Ravi

Quote:
Does this club still exist and where, as I have not heard much about its activities.
Yes, Automobile Association of Southern India [AASI] functions from the same place in Madras/Chennai since 1960s. My late father was a member of AASI. I still remember that he had collected printed copies of route guides when he drove us from Madras to places like Bangalore/Mysore/Shravana Belagola in his Standard Herald in the late 1960s.

Old 3rd December 2011, 16:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Some time back karl had commented about an automobile association badge seen on a Rolls I had posted on the RR thread here, post no 1499:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...india-100.html

I have a similar badge, it is a REDeX car club badge which I am also posting. It seems to have been a club offering automobile services including inspection, licenecing etc.

At the same time I picked up this interesting but strange badge of 1951, writing is french, game appears to be cricket. Really strange.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-rolls2002tbhp.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-100_4636.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-100_4637.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-100_4638.jpg  

Old 16th December 2011, 14:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

This advertisement for a "New" Hindusthan is printed on a hardboard. Why did they cut off the medallion in the background? Ashok pillar can be made out. And, did they always spell HindustHan in this way? I thought that it was Hindustan Motors.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-mem.jpg  

Old 16th December 2011, 15:42   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This advertisement for a "New" Hindusthan is printed on a hardboard. Why did they cut off the medallion in the background? Ashok pillar can be made out. And, did they always spell HindustHan in this way? I thought that it was Hindustan Motors.

Cheers harit
In this advertisement itself we can see two spellings of Hindust/han. The same is seen even upto early Ambys. Both my Ambys have 'HINDUSTHAN' lettering on the tappet covers.
Old 28th December 2011, 18:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

This is a hood ornament, one of the last known that went onto the cars of all the partners of Prabhat films in Pune. Pure Silver!!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-photo-251211-4-04-20-pm.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks