Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 18:51   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage Related Memorabilia

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Here is the answer to your questions -(posted by ragtop) Quote
"Trophies:
1. THE RED ,'D WHITE 21 TROPHY for the best overall performance of the day (minimum penalty points): Car No.10, Mr. Prem Kumar Mehra in his 1927 Chevrolet." Unquote ..................
Manish, that was great, we all saw the post but you remembered.
This Chevrolet used to be housed very near to my residence on Nepean Sea Road for a few years, and one day she was gone. This car had solid disc wheels. A photo was also on fasters thread, attached below duly credited.
But see the way vintage stuff is flying around, Mr. Mehra's trophy plaque landed up with me.
More surprising is that it is scripted, and I understood that the trophies were awarded on the same day in the afternoon. Maybe the inscription was done later.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-1927-chevrolet.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:55   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

For all Punekars and history buffs, here is a neat book dating to the 1920s called "The Poona Guide and Directory". We see many familiar shops (at least familiar to Punekars) and even ads for car dealers/parts suppliers/rentals. A name I particularly recall is Mody & Company. They were amongst the first bike dealers in the country if I recall, and they mention they supply "Norton, Wooler, Hobart & Metrotyler Motorcycles and Milford and Montgomery sidecars" - many alien names to me!

http://www.archive.org/stream/poonag...ge/n0/mode/2up
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 18:52   #123
Senior - BHPian

At the moment a Cricket series with Australia is going on. We seem to be doing well at the moment.
Below is the cover and a few pages scanned from a souvenir issued for a match held in 1945. Noteworthy are the following:
World War 2 ended in May 1945, and an Australian "Services" team visits Bombay in November 1945 to play a cricket match in Brabourne stadium.
The souvenir had some ads, I have posted one which has some sort of colour. Remember, all raw material were scarce, yet they had a souvenir using paper and ink. The Indian team was also very illustrious. A piece of history for Car Memorabilia, Cricket and CCI.
Wonder who won.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-cricketsouvenir19451.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-cricketsouvenir19452.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-cricketsouvenir19453.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-cricketsouvenir19454.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-cricketsouvenir19455.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 4th March 2013 at 18:54.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Below is the cover and a few pages scanned from a souvenir issued for a match held in 1945.
A piece of history for Car Memorabilia, Cricket and CCI.
Wonder who won.

Cheers harit
Indeed a piece of history for the CCI some of these ads though tend to repeat in other publications of the era. I have matching ads in MARG magazines of 1947. Anyways I recall you telling me about a strange ariel photograph of the Brabourne stadium. What your picture shows is really an axonometric drawing of the stadium, probably made by the architect.

Another thing you may have missed, check out Shapoorji Pallonji's home number listed on their business card. Now who would do that today right? those were the days.
Old 8th March 2013, 17:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Indeed a piece of history for the CCI ..........you telling me about a strange ariel photograph of the Brabourne stadium. What your picture shows is really an axonometric drawing of the stadium, ..................
Well, I have the aerial photo, taken from somewhere around CCI Chambers which clearly shows the admin building + entrance. Today you cannot take a similar photo because the trees have grown. The above is not a photo, its something architects do. BTW, Tata Steel was used in Brabourne stadium, there is an advert for this.

Below is a tourist brochure of Bombay, maybe the cars can be referred to when restoring an Amby or a Fiat. Many buses were the trailor type.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-bom1t.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-bom2t.jpg  

Old 13th March 2013, 16:05   #126
Senior - BHPian

A book just picked up.
It seems there were two automobile clubs, one of Eastern India, the other of Bengal. Both had a Tiger in their logo, maybe a renaming happened and the clubs are the same.
Inside contents are routes, and a few rules and regulations.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-automobilea-eit.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 18:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

Something interesting landed up on my table . It's a rubber blade fan of Trico and used for frost , steam and sleet cleaning off the windscreen. Has got nothing to do with cooling passengers down and is vacuum operated with a valve as an operating mechanism

Cheers

Vintage Related Memorabilia-image1905599630.jpg

Last edited by kasli : 13th March 2013 at 18:12.
kasli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

Occasionally I also do enjoy music programs. Last evening I was at Tejpal enjoying a programm by Rajendra Jhaveri on Latadidi. Incidently, there is to be a repeat performance on 25th April.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-ticket.jpg

All was enjoyable till I got a call from one of my hunters. He was excited, and that made me curious on what he got. The programm got over at 11PM, legit as it was in an auditorium, and I rushed home, having called him there.

He took out a magazine called Panchshila, whose editor in chief was F. Mascarenhas. The issue was of January 1966, in their 10th year, and covered Lal Bahadur Shastri's demise and Indira Priyadarshini's rise. Therefore this magazine was started in 1956. When you google, you do not find info on the magazine, nor on the editor in chief. There were two advertisements, Telco boasting about their 100000th truck and Mahindra for their Jeep. And there were loose papers inside. Anyone has any idea about Panchshila or Mr. Mascarenhas?

Vintage Related Memorabilia-panchmag.jpg

One paper was an invite where General Motors invited for a movie show on GM India, the show being held in Regal cinema in 1951. And invited was this Mr. F. Mascarehas.

Vintage Related Memorabilia-gm-invit.jpg

This invite is a nice memorabilia, now to find the film.
But the most exciting papers were about a vehicle to be manufactured and sold in India. Apparently the project had almost taken off and was very much advanced, a company was formed, data sheets for the Indian market were printed, branches were established all around India, it was to be progressively manufactured locally. The price was Rs 5000/-. Why this project did not take off I am trying to find out. That may be difficult because I never even had an inkling that a fourth manufacturer was to produce cars in India, in addition to HM, PAL and Standard. And that they reached such an advanced stage.
There is no doubt that this was a genuine attempt and that a lot had been invested in this project because there are photos of the car taken in Delhi with a temp. registration, in the Parliament compound, and with Jawaharlal Nehru examining it. Maybe Birla had to work extra hard to keep them from coming out full fledged.

Sure this is a teaser because I am not going to reveal more. To guess the Marque, one will have to make a real educated guess, whenever someone comes up correctly I will surely reveal, or it will be revealed in a project.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd March 2013 at 18:43.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:52   #129
Senior - BHPian

A bit of military automotive memorabilia. WOT stands for War Army Truck. It seems that Ford was supplying these trucks regularly for the war effort. And there was a separate contract from the Indian Army. Strangely, I have never seen this sort of truck in India, not even in civilian use after army disposal.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-wot2t.jpg  

Old 26th March 2013, 18:33   #130
Senior - BHPian

An advertisement for Shell Oils of 1950.
They mention 1909, Delaunay-Belleville, Simpson as a body builder. Name of marque is mispellt, but still interesting. One Delauney-Belleville survives in India.
The second photo is the reverse side of this advertisement, one can see that this was from 1950. And Bombay was busy with prohibition "to raise standard of comfort", and there was a programme for this. How many of us wished that they also had a programme for our roads to really raise the standard of comfort.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Related Memorabilia-db1t.jpg  

Vintage Related Memorabilia-db2t.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 22:25   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A bit of military automotive memorabilia. WOT stands for War Army Truck. It seems that Ford was supplying these trucks regularly for the war effort. And there was a separate contract from the Indian Army. Strangely, I have never seen this sort of truck in India, not even in civilian use after army disposal.

Cheers harit
Harit, here is one to tickle your memory - courtesy our own V-16

ex-Mysore I believe ?

Vintage Related Memorabilia-mysore-fordson-wot2-1940-cartier-2013.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 23:34   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no doubt that this was a genuine attempt and that a lot had been invested in this project because there are photos of the car taken in Delhi with a temp. registration, in the Parliament compound, and with Jawaharlal Nehru examining it. Maybe Birla had to work extra hard to keep them from coming out full fledged.

Sure this is a teaser because I am not going to reveal more. To guess the Marque, one will have to make a real educated guess, whenever someone comes up correctly I will surely reveal, or it will be revealed in a project.

Cheers harit
hmmmm... Bajaj Tempo Minicar with Firodia & Bajaj? Birla cried hoarse when Addison was making the morris minor too
Old 27th March 2013, 01:24   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
hmmmm... Bajaj Tempo Minicar with Firodia & Bajaj? Birla cried hoarse when Addison was making the morris minor too
Believe DKW / Telco tried too......may have priced been around Rs.7000
Old 28th March 2013, 12:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Harit, here is one to tickle your memory - courtesy our own V-16 ex-Mysore I believe ?
Got me. Now I know who may require a copy. I should look at ALL vehicles more closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Believe DKW / Telco tried too......may have priced been around Rs.7000
None of the above, this is a marque which has never ever been discussed anywhere as a possibility to manufacture cars in India. Both guesses above have been discussed before.

Cheers harit
Old 28th March 2013, 16:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got me. Now I know who may require a copy. I should look at ALL vehicles more closely.

None of the above, this is a marque which has never ever been discussed anywhere as a possibility to manufacture cars in India. Both guesses above have been discussed before.

Cheers harit
This is just skipping my mind, am blank for now, but remember this matter vividly in that time. My Father was commenting how we India bend to cheap but old tech etc. Was it not a Russian/Czech brand, or French.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks