Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 19:28   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011

Highpoints:

- On Sunday, the 13th of February, 2011 at Nagpur

- About a 100 Vintage & Classic cars are expected to participate

- A special attraction of the 2011 edition is that, some international cars will also be part of the drive

- This event has been held every alternate year, for the past three decades

- Want to participate? Drop an email to presidentocjc@gmail.com

- Some pictures from the previous Nagpur event:

Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011-dsc_9264.jpg

Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011-dsc_2297.jpg

Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011-dsc_2314.jpg
Old 21st January 2011, 19:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011

Thanks GTO for starting the thread where I will be able to post the happenings and pictures later on. This year marks the 100th anniversary since the inception of Nagpur's The Hitavada newspaper (estd 1911) run by Servants of the Indian Society. And The Hitavada started the Vintage Car Rallies in Nagpur in 1982, with co-organisers, The Orange City Jaycees Junior Chamber (OCJJC). The latest news is that CIVAA (The Central India Vintage Automotive Association)is also likely to join as co-organisers. More on that will follow as and when there are new developments.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the latest developments CIVAA is not joining The Hitavada-JCI Vintage and Classic Car and Bike Rally on 13 Feb 2011.
Meetings have been taking place at CIVAA and a resolution has been passed to this effect.
Old 31st January 2011, 00:40   #4

Anjan sir, can you please shed some light on the venue of this rally? Last time the rally was held at Hislop ground if i am correct.
Old 4th February 2011, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have beem wondering about this "international" rally. So I tried to investige, asked around and landed up with more questions than answers. Even googling did not reveal more than what GTO has posted.
At the VCCCI/WIAA/WCMI(?) meet condoling Mr. Pranlal Bhogilal, there was an informal discussion among vintage car enthusiasts immediately after the condolence meet. At that time we were told that WIAA and associated organisations were handling custom carnets for all India for the temporary imports of cars. But there was no mention of this event, where one would assume that these cars were comming into India at least temporarily, for an international event, under a carnet.
After asking around, I could gather that 10 or 6 or 4 cars are to come to India for a rally, something being organised, but again not sure as info is sketchy and hard to come by, for a rally organised by the guy who ran "Rally of the Raj". These cars were to pass through Nagpur, and apparently an effort was made by no less than office bearers of VCCCI for Nagpur to have Nagpur's local rally with these cars participating in the Nagpur event. And Nagpur was to host this rally with atleast a meal. A very good idea, till politics took over. Nagpur, as those following t-bhp threads will know, has a split in the vintage car movement. So atleast myself could not figure out what is/was to happen, till asking around and grapevine gave a picture not very clear.
We know that CIVAA was formed for Nagpur enthusiasts. Till then VCCCI was calling the shots in Nagpur, or atleast was respected and invited (with expenses paid)for events. Junior Jaycees and a local newspaper had associated themselves with Nagpur events. After the formation of CIVAA, VCCCI tried to claw their way back in backing this event. Unfortunately, most of the owners of vintage and classic cars are with CIVAA. So what will happen is anyone guess. The local newspaper being influencial may persuade owners to take part in their event, but it may be without enthusiasm (take a U turn after flag off).

In the meanwhile, VCCCI in my humble opinion, has shrunk further. VCCCI was the vintage car club of "India", the "I" stands for India, but we have seen Thane form their own club, Vashi hold their own events, and anyway the rest of India have their own set ups. One of the last events where VCCCI had some respect was Jaipur, till the honourable chief guest came with his own entry and awarded himself a prize. Looking at the shrinking base, VCCCI could as well be renamed VCCCSM, 'Vintage Car Club of South Mumbai". And that is what may finally be the result. Sad, but if you think about it, that could be a logical conclusion. Wait and watch.
Just keep a watch at what happens in Nagpur. Whatever happens at their forthcoming event will give a clue of things to come.

No cheers for politics.
harit

Last edited by harit : 4th February 2011 at 23:24.
Old 5th February 2011, 15:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just keep a watch at what happens in Nagpur. Whatever happens at their forthcoming event will give a clue of things to come.
No cheers for politics.
harit
Well said harit.As things stand, there is the CIVAA resolution which all its members are standing by and on the other side are attempts for parleys going on. Just do not know what will eventually be the outcome, as there is one week left for the event to happen.
As regards the international part, I am sure some teambhpian who has more information will enlighten us about the Nagpur lap if any, on next Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.pi.N.T/60 View Post
Anjan sir, can you please shed some light on the venue of this rally? Last time the rally was held at Hislop ground if i am correct.
2. pi.N.T/60 I think the venue will again be the Hislop College ground for the Rally.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th February 2011 at 15:06.
Old 5th February 2011, 17:23   #7

Update- The venue for the rally is K.P. ground.
Time- 0730 hrs.
The flagoff point is probably chief-minister's bunglow, but i need to verify this. Will update more on this. Hislop didnt get to host it this year since it will be hosting GATE exam on 13th feb.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:51   #8

Anjan sir, are you also participating with your landmaster?
O.T.- Can we have a nagpur meet at this event?
Old 11th February 2011, 22:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As things stand, there is the CIVAA resolution which all its members are standing by and on the other side are attempts for parleys going on. Just do not know what will eventually be the outcome, as there is one week left for the event to happen.
Quote:
As I am a member of CIVAA I will have to abide by whatever our General Body decides.Nothing is still known about our participation.
We can have a teambhp Nagpur members meet at some other appointed time later on. I believe most of us will be busy clicking and/or participating so it will be a formal Hi/Hello at the venue.
Lets see how the events unfold tomorrow.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:55   #10
BHPian

International Cars

The 4 International cars that would be participating in the Nagpur Rally are XK120, MG B, 1936 & 1956 Chevy. This piece of info was given to me by VCCCI. The cars were in Hyderabad on Thursday. The Great Arc 2011 is an event organized by the organizers of The Jewel Of India and not the Rally of The Raj.

Kind Regards
Old 12th February 2011, 19:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2.pi.N.T.- Yes CIVAA will have its limited presence in the Rally. I am also participating.
The reporting time for the judgement is at 8.30 am (K.P. Ground). The flag off will commence after the judgement and briefing (rally route and rules) for all the participants are over.
Yash Ruia true learnt just now that the International participants have reached Nagpur and are lodged at a hotel in Central Nagpur. Confirmed this news just now.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th February 2011 at 20:21.
Old 12th February 2011, 21:29   #12

May be another O.T.
Anjan Sir, since you are the partcipant and know of the whole schedule, would you be kind enough to inform that till what time cars will be in display tomorrow? I will be returning by 12.30 pm from my GATE exam and will be missing this event. :(
Old 12th February 2011, 22:33   #13
BHPian

dossa in a defender,

this is the one that shall be present tom

the same one that agspins posted
Attached Thumbnails
Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011-lr-mg.jpg  

Last edited by xtreme power : 12th February 2011 at 22:36.
Old 12th February 2011, 22:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here is the MG that Yash talked about...
Attached Thumbnails
Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011-mg.jpg  

Old 12th February 2011, 23:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Ruia View Post
The 4 International cars that would be participating in the Nagpur Rally are XK120, MG B, 1936 & 1956 Chevy. This piece of info was given to me by VCCCI. The cars were in Hyderabad on Thursday. The Great Arc 2011 is an event organized by the organizers of The Jewel Of India and not the Rally of The Raj. Kind Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
dossa in a defender, this is the one that shall be present tom the same one that agspins posted
Dossa in a Defender in Nagpur. Is this defender a participant, or a service support car?
Thanks Yash for volunteering some info. I stand corrected that this organised by "The Jewel of India" organisers. My info was wrong, but these are easily mixed up. You see, VCCCI is very scarce and selective with information.You are indeed priviliged, maybe a volunteer?

So the cars came into India from Cochin, drove all the way to Hyderabad, and while they are driving from Hyderabad to Nagpur, VCCCI generously informs us. They have full faith that most vintage car enthusiasts are reading this forum. And who else represents VCCCI at Nagpur, but the HONORARY secretary.
From Anjan's post we understand that some Nagpur cars are participating, some persuation must have been done, hope that there will be more than 4 cars. Please keep aside politics and enjoy(only the pictures, not many others than locals could be there at such short notice).

Cheers to Nagpur
harit

Last edited by harit : 12th February 2011 at 23:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks