Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 15:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Garh View Post
Pictures of the two Standard Avons...
Great pictures, nice to see two of them side by side. A lot in common but a lot ofdifferences too !
Old 15th March 2011, 15:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
There is some good coverage in the following links-

Cartier Travel With Style 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
While going through the ZIGWheels website found pics of Cartier Show

Zigwheels.com: The 2011 Cartier Concours d'Elegance
Already posted in the above post..!
Old 15th March 2011, 16:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What is the background on the silver RR UP A 2797 ex Kashmir. The body looks like it was made to transport prisoners or the likes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

Wasif, this "car" is R-R Phantom I, Chassis 51-RC, a hunting "saloon" by Windovers. Original owner is Maharaja Bharatpur (could have gone to Kashmir at some point)
Quote:
Hi Wasif,

Are you sure that this car is an ex Kashmir car?
The owner of this car also happens to be the Owner of JK Group. I don't think its anywhere associated with Kashmir.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owner of this car also happens to be the Owner of JK Group. I don't think its anywhere associated with Kashmir.
OH so thats what those JK thinsg on the front stand for.

So we will have to wait for someone to correctly identify which state this car is from.

I distinclty remember readign about a specific princely state as a matter of routine fitted thsoe bells in front to warn cows and such of the coming of the cars.

If you can find which state it was then the car would be from there. Maybe it was the original owners state of Bharatpur itself.

There are a few more RR's on T-BHP form the same royal hose with the same kind of bell in the front.

Indrojit....maybe by the time the next Cartier event happens yoru Stude will be ready and we can both ride in it and display it for you.

Last edited by wasif : 15th March 2011 at 16:51.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:15   #80
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys I bungled up royally on the pictures as I set my camera to RAW and large files and by the time I documented one car I ran out of file space on the camera.

Karlos hopefully will do justice to covering the event.

The show was a delight and a great treat. Loved it. Nice setting, great cars and even more interesting people.

The restoration of the Nizam's car was a truly remarkable transformation. The original body is a knock out. Very pretty. Car looks so much more beautiful and elegant compared to its altered form. It was a huge assignment and I was deeply impressed by the quantum of work done in such a short span.

Even before the restoration I was against it as I felt something very special about the historic aspect of the alteration and also the aging of the car for a century would disappear. My feelings were mixed on account of that. The car has lost its appeal as the eccentric seventh Nizam's ceremonial coach. All those years in Hyderabad as it stayed put in garages are gone forever in terms of the effect they had on the car's appearance. It doesn't look like a 100 year old car in appearance. All shiny and brand new, it seems to have lost a great deal of that exotic aged look.

But I guess the owner is happy and many viewers will be wowed. I am not in any way suggesting its the restoration that has compromised that aspect of the car. I doubt if any one anywhere in the world has achieved a restoration where a 100 year old car gets restored looking 100 years old. That may be an impossible assignment and even if someone manages to achieve it it would cost ten times what this restoration did.

The Stutz is such a handsome car. Wow wow and wow ! Looks too over restored though. A bit understated look would have given the car a more realistic tone. It looks very bright and shiny and glossy like a movie star which it never was, atleast not as bright as it looks now. But then again I guess the owner chose the colour and the decision to chrome the wheels and so much else. If I remember the grill shutters should have been body coloured like LaSalles, but I could be wrong. Anyway a fabulous car, totally fab

But the real star of the show was TT Raghu's Jag SS. Not for the car, but the fact that here is an enthusiast who despite his stature found all the time to drive the restoration himself and achieved a fabulous finish for his car. The entire combination of TT Raghu's awesome restoration and his ownership of the car is what makes the SS a star. His V12 is also totally drool worthy and these two cars are amongst the finest examples of any car in India. I hesitate not in saying this. The man, his passion, and his work is there for anyone to see and its a real pleasure to meet him, and enjoy his work of art. What a treat !!

The Bentleys were simply fabulous. BRG 1 albeit its poor colour choice is an awesome Rolls and I deeply enjoyed studying it in detail.

KC Anand's Merc is also such a fine and handsome car.

Overall great show and we are only richer for shows like these. Agreed Delhi has so many more fabulous cars and the Bombay show was richer in content, but then again like Karlos said lets save a little for the next time.

Loved meeting so many friends.

BTW Wasif are you talking about the Silver RR? its a Mayurbhanj car as the plates said, or are you talking of some other car?
Old 15th March 2011, 18:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I distinclty remember readign about a specific princely state as a matter of routine fitted thsoe bells in front to warn cows and such of the coming of the cars.

If you can find which state it was then the car would be from there. Maybe it was the original owners state of Bharatpur itself.

There are a few more RR's on T-BHP form the same royal hose with the same kind of bell in the front.

Indrojit....maybe by the time the next Cartier event happens yoru Stude will be ready and we can both ride in it and display it for you.
The Rolls Royce Guru's can maybe help with that. What i don't knopw i cannot say. I ask many people whom i meet at different places and get to hear different stories from everyone. Not worth mentioning about.

I am gamed for that so long as the car is invited for the show. I am not going to beg them to take my car in. There are many other cars which could have made it this time even in the preservation class which deserved to be their but the cars were not invited.

I guess the organizers also had their own set of challenges while doing the invites.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 15th March 2011 at 18:26.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hi DKG.

I am deeply distressed to hear about your misfortune witht he pictures. I was patiently waiting for your detailed report with pictures and your precise narration on each car.

why don't you post what pictures you did manage to take.

Regarding the RR I was refering to UP A 2797 which is teh Hunting car with Windovers body. I think you knwo which state it originally came from as you had posted pics of it along with tehat burgendy / black RR with the bells in front.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:57   #83

Quote:
Great pictures, nice to see two of them side by side. A lot in common but a lot ofdifferences too !
You are right, there is a difference in the size too. Mr. Dossa's car is probably 6 inches longer than our Avon.
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-imag0404.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-imag0369.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-imag0402.jpg  

Old 15th March 2011, 20:29   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the RR I was refering to UP A 2797 which is teh Hunting car with Windovers body. I think you knwo which state it originally came from as you had posted pics of it along with tehat burgendy / black RR with the bells in front.
From what I recall it is a Bharatpur car.

Actually what happened is I had a tiny window of time to photograph a car in detail and while the organisers had asked everyone to clear the field as the judging was going on Manvendra Singh very kindly allowed me to continue to photograph a car in detail. In the process I ended up using both the storage cards I had and when by the time I ended up filling them up it was too late to reset the camera to a lower resolution setting and retake all the pictures and also cover all the other cars.

I think Karlos will do justice. He has two cameras with pictures !

Last edited by DKG : 15th March 2011 at 20:35.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:53   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From what I recall it is a Bharatpur car.

I don't think there is any any doubt. The hunting "bus" (as i prefer to call it) UP-R2797 is ex-Bharatpur. Also check out UP-R491 on this thread (R-R SG Chassis 102-AE). Another ex-Bharatpur car, originally an H.J.Mulliner tourer, later rebodied by the French Motor Car Co in India. You will see the same frontal treatment.

Most Bharatpur RR's including the 20 H.P.'s had the bell, and quite a few had triple bumpers too. Many have been shown in the R-R thread over the years.

Another Maharaja with a "bell fascination" was Alwar. You see it on some of his Hispano Suizas. Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 16th March 2011 at 05:03.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

What is the actual color shade on the Stutz ? In some pictures it looks deep Maroonand in some itappears black ! Also what amke are the headlights on it, they appear to be British.

In the presece of teh Stutz and teh Nizam's Ghost the beautlfully restored MB Nurburg BRB 1272 seems to have been overshadowed. It has had a great but understated restoration adn looks wonderfull, must be great to drive too.

Was Princess Ersa present at the show, there is a picture of the car being driven on the ramp with a lady in the back seat.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:43   #87
BHPian

Quote:
What is the actual color shade on the Stutz ?
The Stutz is in deep purple - dunno if that makes it a highway star!!
Am attaching a pic that kind of shows the colour, especially if you look at the fender.

Quote:
In the presece of teh Stutz and teh Nizam's Ghost the beautlfully restored MB Nurburg BRB 1272 seems to have been overshadowed. It has had a great but understated restoration adn looks wonderfull, must be great to drive too.
Fully agree with you. The Nurburg is fantastic, drove well too - the Nizam's Rolls on the other hand seemed to have mechanical issues; had to be push started off the ramp, and then kept on high and erratic idle after a re-entry on the ramp. The Nurburg was my star of the show!

Quote:
Was Princess Ersa present at the show, there is a picture of the car being driven on the ramp with a lady in the back seat.
Yes, she was there.
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-dts-stutz.jpg  

Old 16th March 2011, 11:19   #88
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the actual color shade on the Stutz ? In some pictures it looks deep Maroonand in some itappears black ! Also what amke are the headlights on it, they appear to be British.

Its a deep maroon perhaps with a touch of aubergine. The headlamps are Lucas I think and apparently car was ordered with them originally is what I heard. Its highly likely this is the case because on Packards I know that many cars supplied into Europe had Marchal Aerolux headlamps when sold new.

The Mercedes by any standard is a massive and impressive machine. It won a prize for resurrection I think.

Yes Princess Esra was there along with her two kids and another son of Mukkaramjah. The lady in the back is her.

Last edited by DKG : 16th March 2011 at 11:22.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

LOL...I an understand your thoughts on this ! hyderabadi "Tahzeeb" was not on her mind apparently !
Old 16th March 2011, 11:31   #90
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL...I an understand your thoughts on this ! hyderabadi "Tahzeeb" was not on her mind apparently !
am glad you read what I had to say on the subject and have deleted it as it doesn't serve a purpose !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks