Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 03:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011

The Cartier "Travel with Style Concourse d'Elegance is being held on Friday, 11th and saturday, 12th of March 2011 at The Jaipur Polo Grounds in Delhi.
This event is showcasing rare and unseen automotive treasures from bygone days.
Cars will be mainly from the Delhi and Rajasthan region, and there are two categories not seen in the 2008 event, a "preservation" class and "Indian built" classics.
We have been hearing that Rattan Tata is to be the chief guest, and there is some kind of sponsorship from the Jaguar-Land-Rover group. This is not mentioned on the papers I have seen. Apparently there is also a concentration of Jaguars on display, and there may be a "Jaguar" prize.
The star of the show is the Nizam's Silver Ghost, the car has been restored by Manvendra Barwani at Indore under sponsorship from Cartier. Other cars expected to be present are the Stutz, Auburn (one or two, and which one if only one), Maybach, a Rolls Thrupp & Maberly landaulette ex- Baroda, ex Cooch Behar, ex P.P. Ashar, Mercedes Benz Nurburg tourer, Standard Avon's (yes, two of them), 1947 Caddy convertible, Jaguars E-types from Chennai and Orissa, Ford Sunliner, Chevy Impala 1959, 1947 DeSoto and circa 1957 Dukker Fiat, one Landmaster, and many others. Some cars expected were Lancia Lambda and Hudson straight 8, these could not be finished in time. There are ofcourse more cars, maybe someone will add to the list. There should be some more Bentleys, Packards, Rolls, Jags etc. Maybe the "other" Lancia Dilambda from around Kolkata may be present.
On Friday the judging is being done, and on Saturday between 2 to 6 PM invitees are allowed in the afternoon, also to witness the prize distribution and have high tea.
I understand that the Jodhpur Rolls may not be there, who likes competition?
Good Luck to the event and may all have a good time.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 24th February 2011 at 03:02.
Old 24th February 2011, 08:19   #2

Re: Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011

Who chooses on what gets to participates on what does not!
Old 24th February 2011, 09:26   #3
BHPian

Is it open to everybody or do we have to get an invitation? If yes then from where we can get it?
Old 24th February 2011, 09:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Who chooses on what gets to participates on what does not!
LOL...you actually have to ask about this.

The organisers choose on behalf of Cartier.

I am really interested in coming over for a day or two to Delhi to see the cars. Will it be possible to get access to the event???
Old 24th February 2011, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Whoose 57 Fiat is going to be displayed? I hear Manvedra Barwani was restoring one too? Thats what he told me at the VCCCI judging last year.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:14   #6

That is precisely what I wanted to know. I want to see how it matches up to your car or Ronis car!
Old 24th February 2011, 11:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The star of the show is the Nizam's Silver Ghost, the car has been restored by Manvendra Barwani at Indore under sponsorship from Cartier. Other cars expected to be present are the Stutz, Auburn (one or two, and which one if only one), Maybach, a Rolls Thrupp & Maberly landaulette ex- Baroda, ex Cooch Behar, ex P.P. Ashar, Mercedes Benz Nurburg tourer, Standard Avon's (yes, two of them), 1947 Caddy convertible, Jaguars E-types from Chennai and Orissa, Ford Sunliner, Chevy Impala 1959, 1947 DeSoto and circa 1957 Dukker Fiat, one Landmaster, and many others. Some cars expected were Lancia Lambda and Hudson straight 8, these could not be finished in time.
Cheers harit
Gimme a minute while i pick my jaw up from the floor. What a drool-worthy set of beauties lined up. Question is, how do commoners get closer to the cars? I mean, are the passes up for sale or is this an invitation only event?

Cheers
Old 24th February 2011, 11:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Here is a deserving Fiat that could have been a part of the show but its a '54 - .
Old 24th February 2011, 11:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here is a deserving Fiat that could have been a part of the show but its a '54 - .
I think suddenly people have come to realize that the 57 Fiat is one of the more collectible mass production Fiats as it came for only one year. But i guess it must be a Delhi Car.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Kiran, in fact this very Millecento (Fiat) is the one that's going to be exhibited! Though already in good shape, the fastidious owner has chosen to give her a fresh coat of paint and some sprucing up. However knowing his good taste, he will still keep her understated though fresh!!
Old 5th March 2011, 15:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend there was an article in The Economic Times on the Cartier event.
I was under the impression that the event would be conservative affair, but as I understand the efforts are on to make this a grander event than in Bombay. In the Bombay the venue was quite cramped, in Delhi at the Polo grounds the spaces are available for a grander display.
I was tols that there would be atleast 20 cars shown for the first time to the public duly restored, some cars may have been seen in private collections but not so publicly. And spruced up as well.
From the article we can see that the 1957 Chevy Belair will be there, Bentley Mark VI, Packard 1934.
The is a Lancia Lambda expected from Bombay, in place of the Rolls, but have not really figured out which of them comes and it does not matter. Jaguars from all over India are coming, Jaipur, Chennai, Kolkata, and many more to please the eyes. We will be having a treat.
Most participating cars will be from Delhi and surrounding areas, the only bummer is that for many of the cars selected from afar, this was not based on merits but on the owners and the result will be seen. Later more on that.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-magazine-090.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-magazine-091.jpg  

Old 6th March 2011, 11:28   #12
BHPian

pretty sure the Lancia Lambda from bombay will make it,
Old 6th March 2011, 13:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
pretty sure the Lancia Lambda from bombay will make it,
any pictures fo this Lancia ????
Old 8th March 2011, 13:19   #14
BHPian

Yes I have pics of the Lancia taken just this morning. 5 cars participating in the event are parked at the farmhouse where I stay. Will put them up soon.

BTW its a square 8, so I'm told. Haven't got pics of the engine but will do so tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-lancia-1.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-lancia-2.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-lancia-3.jpg  

Cartier "Travel with Style" Concourse d' Elegance 2011-lancia-4.jpg  

Last edited by Vajra : 8th March 2011 at 13:34.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajra View Post
Yes I have pics of the Lancia taken just this morning. 5 cars participating in the event are parked at the farmhouse where I stay. Will put them up soon.

BTW its a square 8, so I'm told. Haven't got pics of the engine but will do so tomorrow.

the lancia lambda is a 4 cylinder engine, red and black in colour
yes i have pictures but they are wip at a friends place so shall refrain from posting

the car is not yet in delhi, has infact just left mumbai today

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks