Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 19:07   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Classic sports cars in India (1945 - 1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
I wouldn't take the article too seriously. Nice set of photographs though - somewhere in Sasoon/Backbay? I'd post them up here, but not sure how to.
Yeah, I distinctly remember the photos taken near the docks - they turned out very well. BSM usually does terrific work with classics.

Why are you not sure how to post?
Old 27th May 2011, 02:05   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yeah, I distinctly remember the photos taken near the docks - they turned out very well. BSM usually does terrific work with classics.

Why are you not sure how to post?
Not quite sure how to answer that question! I know how to upload from my harddrive, but these pictures are on a URL? If you know-how, be my guest!
Old 12th July 2011, 14:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I believe the Kolkata car must be the one that originally belonged to Viraj Narain Bhup Bahadur, the last Maharaj of Cooch Behar. He was a good friend of my dad's. The car was then bought by Rishi Kumar who subsequently sold it off.

Any new pics of the car?

Regards
Prithvi
Viraj's car had a fuel pump problem and the chassis was cracked. The car was presented to him by Maharani Gayatri Devi when he was officially crowned the Maharaja. This was when he was around 18 years old. Yes, as you rigtly mentioned it was sold to Rishi Kumar.

Viraj was asking for 60K in the mid 80's for the car, when it was lying with me for a couple of months and prior to him selling it to Rishi Kumar.

From what i heard the car was sold by his Danish wife without him knowing and he did not receive a cent from it!!!

Cheers AK
Old 13th July 2011, 17:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Thats below the synagogue at Kalaghoda now highly secure area. A lovely Picture indeed.

Cheers

Quote:
I wouldn't take the article too seriously. Nice set of photographs though - somewhere in Sasoon/Backbay? I'd post them up here, but not sure how to.
Old 10th February 2012, 21:49   #80
BHPian

Revisiting this thread, and indeed the site after a while.

Some interesting cars have turned up, still cream of the crop has to be the 300SL, Dino, 365, Flaminia Zagato, e-types and XKs.

The reason I am posting:

Does anyone know what became of the two classic Alfa Romeos that lived in the one of the buildings on the road between Churchgate Station and Bandstand? I think it’s called Maharishi Karve Road according to GoogleMaps.

They belonged to an Italian who had two cars. I am pretty sure that one was a Junior GT (black) and the other Guilleta (red) which we for a spin in. Back then, he had offered me both cars for 1 lac each. They were in decent condition, but I couldn’t take him up on it because I had no space for them in my garages. A kid I know was interested in buying a classic car so I took him around to all the owners I know. I looked for the Alfas too, but couldn’t locate them.

This must have been over 15 years ago.

Last edited by Faster789 : 10th February 2012 at 21:50.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
........Does anyone know what became of the two classic Alfa Romeos that lived in the one of the buildings on the road between Churchgate Station and Bandstand? I think it’s called Maharishi Karve Road according to GoogleMaps.

They belonged to an Italian who had two cars. I am pretty sure that one was a Junior GT (black) and the other Guilleta (red) which we for a spin in. Back then, he had offered me both cars for 1 lac each. They were in decent condition, but I couldn’t take him up on it because I had no space for them in my garages. A kid I know was interested in buying a classic car so I took him around to all the owners I know. I looked for the Alfas too, but couldn’t locate them. This must have been over 15 years ago.
Did that Italian often move around in shorts and also drive a Bedford van? And was that red Alfa often missing bits? If yes, then that car may be now in Bangalore.
And if yes, then that was about 25 years ago.
About the black one I am not aware, maybe it is still in Mumbai but I have to ask an owner if his car was ever black.

Cheers harit
Old 12th February 2012, 15:15   #82
BHPian

Quote:
. I am pretty sure that one was a Junior GT (black)
There is a Red 1300 junior GT at Neapean sea road, have seen it a couple of times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks