Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 23:55   #16
BHPian

an observation

The description "Classic" is being applied to any old car very loosely. A car that simply is aged and old in terms of model year should not be called classic. It may be called vintage . The word classic is used for cars that are rare, produced is limited number, or connected to a specific period in history.
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 18:54   #17
BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Car Definition: India

I have been sitting on this question for quite a while now and it seems like i have found the correct thread.

The following thread talks about how "Vintage" cars are exempted from the 15-year ban being implemented in certain metros:
NGT exempts vintage cars from ban on 15-year old vehicles

Assuming we have a legally valid definition of what can be considered a "Vintage" car, how can any of our old favorites ever reach that designation with the ban already in place ?

In my opinion, cars like the jelly-bean Maruti Zen already have a somewhat cult status and would someday be considered a classic/vintage car in its own right. But when the current rules prohibit having the car on road, how can it ever reach a "Vintage" status unless the owner is willing to maintain it in a locked up state in a garage for a long period of time until the criteria is met ?

In other countries, there are different checks and restrictions in place regarding prolonged ownership of such vehicles.

It feels like we are formulating policies without taking all variables into account.
theMandarin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Car Definition: India

All a quick question.

I am interested in restoring a standard atlas/standard 20 van / tempo Viking . Does these classify as a classic car?

Most Viewed