Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 01:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Logan or Figo (both top diesel models)

I booked a Figo yesterday - will cost me 6.55L on road.

Now I'm thinking that Logan might make more sense.

My requirements are:
  1. Practicality - good FE, low cost of ownership, (very) low niggles
  2. Space (though Figo should be good enough for almost all of my usage, 5 passenger comfort may be more with Logan)
  3. Good suspension for smooth ride, good handling at less than 80kmph, reasonable at 80-100 and above 100 if the car doesn't hide the speed that is fine too.
  4. I don't look forward to selling it at all - so resale etc. do not matter.
On sedan vs. hatchback, my wife likes sedans better. the reason I'm even asking this question is (price etc. probably are not that much of a problem given that there is no discount on Figo):
  1. Figo I hear has reasonably good ***, what about Logan?
  2. Logan may be an end of liefcycle vehicle, what about its long term service prospects and part availability etc. espacially since Renault-Mahindra affair is over?
  3. Anything else I must worry about?
Old 25th April 2011, 07:56   #2
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Logan or Figo (both top diesel models)

The points that you have mentioned, lean more towards a sedan. Since you are not worried about resale and have a budget of 6-7L, and considering Figo; why not consider Ford Fiesta Classic diesel. It is a better car in terms of driving pleasure, practicality, no major niggles reported in the last 5 years of existence. Spacewise it has edge over Figo. In my opinion both Figo and Fiesta are better options than Logan. Not that Logan is an inferior choice, it is just too dated and has poorer interiors and driving characteristics for my liking.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The points that you have mentioned, lean more towards a sedan. Since you are not worried about resale and have a budget of 6-7L, and considering Figo; why not consider Ford Fiesta Classic diesel. It is a better car in terms of driving pleasure, practicality, no major niggles reported in the last 5 years of existence. Spacewise it has edge over Figo. In my opinion both Figo and Fiesta are better options than Logan. Not that Logan is an inferior choice, it is just too dated and has poorer interiors and driving characteristics for my liking.
Thanks dot, however on road even the cheapest Fiesta is not even close to 7L - this is more or less my upper limit.

Tata Manza is out thanks to a lot of horror stories I have heard about Tata from people in general and a general favour towards Logan from Taxiwallahs in particular (plus they are very similar feature wise). So it is down to Figo or Logan.

Also I probably shall not need the boot much.

UPDATE: called around to check the prices, OTR 7.7L for Logan and no discounts. So even that is out

Now how do you close the thread?

Last edited by vina : 25th April 2011 at 09:57.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Logan with Mahindra logos and no design change will be in showrooms in the next two months or so. New look 'Mahindra' Logan expected to be out by Auto Expo i.e. early next year.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:47   #5
BHPian

I would say that you test ride Fiesta Classic and Logan decide.

As an owner of a Logan ( Petrol ) i would like to point out a few things about Logan:

1. Service provided by Mahindra is pretty good, and resonably priced. I also own a Hyundai Santro. I find Mahindra and Hyundai comparable in service quality although Mahindra seems to have lesser prices. With Renault -Mahindra JV over things have only gotten better.

2. Logan is not at its end of life cycle. Mahindra is planning a refreshed Logan soon. The mechanicals of the car should remain the same so spares should not be a problem. Mahindra is selling close to 1000 Logans a month. Also Logan and Nissan Micra Diesl share the same engine.

3. Very strong core build of car. I means things like your engine suspension elements etc are very well made and trouble free.

4. Some cheap poorly built bits in the interior of the car. In contrast to point 3 above the car has some poorly built elements in the interior. e.g the cheap shelf on the left side of the dashboard, breaks easily. Once my interior door handle came out. Once my headlight started to flicker and the problem was diagnosed to a loose fuse.

5. The car has a very well balanced chasis. The hydrailc steering gives perfect feedbacK. I would stick my neck out and say that it will make a nice rally car if the engine power can be ugraded.

6. Narrow ORVM are poorly designed and inadequate for our crazy traffic.

7. Huge boot. Enourmous rear seat can take four adults.

8. Very good ride quality. Ride quality same for the fron and rear passangers. Contrasting it to the Santro where the front passengers experience far less bumps compared to the rear ones.
JediKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I would say that you test ride Fiesta Classic and Logan decide.

As an owner of a Logan ( Petrol ) i would like to point out a few things about Logan:

1. Service provided by Mahindra is pretty good, and resonably priced. I also own a Hyundai Santro. I find Mahindra and Hyundai comparable in service quality although Mahindra seems to have lesser prices. With Renault -Mahindra JV over things have only gotten better.

2. Logan is not at its end of life cycle. Mahindra is planning a refreshed Logan soon. The mechanicals of the car should remain the same so spares should not be a problem. Mahindra is selling close to 1000 Logans a month. Also Logan and Nissan Micra Diesl share the same engine.

3. Very strong core build of car. I means things like your engine suspension elements etc are very well made and trouble free.

4. Some cheap poorly built bits in the interior of the car. In contrast to point 3 above the car has some poorly built elements in the interior. e.g the cheap shelf on the left side of the dashboard, breaks easily. Once my interior door handle came out. Once my headlight started to flicker and the problem was diagnosed to a loose fuse.

5. The car has a very well balanced chasis. The hydrailc steering gives perfect feedbacK. I would stick my neck out and say that it will make a nice rally car if the engine power can be ugraded.

6. Narrow ORVM are poorly designed and inadequate for our crazy traffic.

7. Huge boot. Enourmous rear seat can take four adults.

8. Very good ride quality. Ride quality same for the fron and rear passangers. Contrasting it to the Santro where the front passengers experience far less bumps compared to the rear ones.

Thanks Jedi, but Fiesta is out anyway on price reasons alone.

I called dealership to check, on road Logan (with ABS) is 1.3L more than Figo. Based on your review I would have gone with Logan, but since I'm not going to use the boot much I'm thinking I have better uses for the money.

Perhaps 2-3yrs from now I'll consider it.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:56   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

FIGO Titanium TDCi is fully loaded and comes at a very good price.
Logan is an extreme VFM proposition too.

However, since you are clear you dont need the boot and will rarely use it, I would say go with the FIGO. Its a very good vehicle indeed - I really like it a lot.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Good decision to opt for the Figo TDCI over the Logan.

The Mahindra Sedan is expected to have a facelift by the year end with the Mahindra logo.

Cheers!
Old 25th April 2011, 13:26   #9
BHPian

Widen Your Horizons

Well I do not want to further confuse you, but I would suggest you widen your horizons and you may consider the following:

1.Manza: Positives
Loads of space

Lower cost of ownership vis-a-vis a Ford

2.Punto: Positives
Great looks

Almost similar cost of ownership vis-a vis a Ford

3. VW Polo
:Positives
German Engineering

Looks are subjective; but may be better looking than the Figo

IMHO since the Logan is in your radar, I would suggest that you consider and test drive the Manza; You may simply get bowled over by the sheer amount of space it offers.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:42   #10
BHPian

I would pick the Logan anyday over the Figo, better in almost all aspects. Logan really has space and it can't be compared to a Figo by any means, add to that a massive boot and efficient engine.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post it .
But on 17th of April I took the logan cab to Airport and my jaws dropped after seeing the odo. See for yourself.
Logan or Figo (both top diesel models)-imag0092.jpg
Yes, it has 250,538 kms on the odo.
Still the ride was very silent and composed at the back.
Not recommending anything here but just putting forward what I witnessed.

EDIT: apologies for the bad picture quality.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

The big problem with Logan is Taxi car image. That's bad. But the related good thing is that if its a hit with taxi fleet owners in India, then the car is a definite "no nonsense" sturdy and well proven on Indian roads vehicle.

And yes, even Manza will not be able to beat Logan on this count. I will suggest that you wait till the new Logan is released. And then decide.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:00   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

no doubts about the sturdiness of the Logan or should we now say VERITO!

Great car all round. And yes if the Taxi segment adopts it wholeheartedly, then it is for sure a VFM proposition.

But the gentleman in question mentioned he didnt want a boot, which is why perhaps the fully loaded Figo Titanium could suit him better. And the fully loaded Figo carries a lower price tag too.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:25   #14
BHPian

How about the Ford Ikon 1.4 tdci, I suppose its on road price is almost same as the Figo Titanium Diesel. But being a sedan it will bring its own advantages such as better drive quality and more space in the rear seat and not to mention the boot.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The new updated Logan is around the corner. I would suggest you to wait a bit until the new sub 4m Logan version comes out with a reduced price tag. Overall if you ignore the ultra basic looks and interiors the Logan is a proven workhorse. The Diesel engine is a gem, it may not be great for enthusiastic driving but it's excellent for daily commute with super low end, it starts pulling at lower revs than even the Figo's engine with no lag.

If boot space is not a deal breaker for you, Figo may be the right car for you. It comes with better quality after sales support and offers excellent value for money. Resale value also will be superior compared to Logan.
  • Both cars ride well, Logan is better.
  • Logan handles well, Figo is excellent.
  • Both engine pull well from low down with no lag, but hate to be revved till redline.
  • Both cars have good space in Cabin, Logan is better.
  • Both come with proven chassis and underpinnings.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks