Team-BHP > What Car?

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 15:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Logan or Figo (both top diesel models)

All your requirements are generic to the car buying populace! That said, personally I'd prefer the Figo over the Logan.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2011 at 17:12.
bluevolt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th April 2011, 15:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I booked a Figo yesterday - will cost me 6.55L on road.

Now I'm thinking that Logan might make more sense.

My requirements are:
  1. Practicality - good FE, low cost of ownership, (very) low niggles
  2. Space (though Figo should be good enough for almost all of my usage, 5 passenger comfort may be more with Logan)
  3. Good suspension for smooth ride, good handling at less than 80kmph, reasonable at 80-100 and above 100 if the car doesn't hide the speed that is fine too.
  4. I don't look forward to selling it at all - so resale etc. do not matter.
On sedan vs. hatchback, my wife likes sedans better. the reason I'm even asking this question is (price etc. probably are not that much of a problem given that there is no discount on Figo):
  1. Figo I hear has reasonably good ***, what about Logan?
  2. Logan may be an end of liefcycle vehicle, what about its long term service prospects and part availability etc. espacially since Renault-Mahindra affair is over?
  3. Anything else I must worry about?
Please check the prices.

We bought Figo TDCI Titanium in end Jan.

It cost us INR 5.61 lakhs on the road.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
How about the Ford Ikon 1.4 tdci, I suppose its on road price is almost same as the Figo Titanium Diesel.

But being a sedan it will bring its own advantages such as better drive quality and more space in the rear seat and not to mention the boot.
How does being a Sedan mean better Ride quality and Space? Yes the boot means more space for luggage.

The Ikon is based on a generation older Fiesta chassis and underpinnings, whereas the Figo is based on a gen newer Fiesta. Ikon is a good car but is dated. The same TDCi engine in the Ikon sounds louder, clattery and harsher. The suspension again is noisy compared to Figo and Fiesta.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:33   #20
BHPian

@ anshuman

Well I am not a very mechanically sound person so I will not be able to comment on "chassis and underpinnings". Frankly speaking today is the first time I have heard the word "underpinning" so I dont even know what that exactly means but what I have felt driving hatchbacks and sedans is that...sedans since they have a longer wheelbase provide a more comfortable ride and roadgrip in high speeds specially on highways. Hatchbacks are fun to drive around in city as they are easy to maneuver.

Main thing is, its a personal choice. I would prefer a sedan anyday. Its upto the thread started to decide what he/she requires....we are here to provide suggestions and they may not be unanimous.

One more thing, can anyone tell me how to quote some person's replies...I am not so sure about it, Just joined the forum a couple of days back so trying to figure it out Is it just copy pasting the line insides quotes?
Old 25th April 2011, 17:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you dont carry 5 passengers often then the figo suits the bill perfectly.
it is quite roomy, is more modern than the logan, and will give you that feel good factor.
if you like to travel long distances a lot and with a full load then look no further than the logan. a great engine, which is extremely frugal, rear seat comfort for three abreast is unmatched in this segment.
At the end it boils down to your use for the vehicle.
Somehow i feel the figo will suit your needs pretty well.
did you consider the etios?
Old 25th April 2011, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
If you dont carry 5 passengers often then the figo suits the bill perfectly.
it is quite roomy, is more modern than the logan, and will give you that feel good factor.
if you like to travel long distances a lot and with a full load then look no further than the logan. a great engine, which is extremely frugal, rear seat comfort for three abreast is unmatched in this segment.
At the end it boils down to your use for the vehicle.
Somehow i feel the figo will suit your needs pretty well.
did you consider the etios?
I waited for over a month initially for etios to launch. The result is not very inspiring (again, I don't believe in brands by themselves, and toyota *** quality for mass market is a question mark for at least one more year)

Plus there is no diesel engine. At today's prices even 10k km a year justifies the diesel premium, and going forward the prices will increase (look at crude prices)

In fact between Eitos and Logan, Logan it would have been.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I wrote about Manza already. Wife loves it, I love it, but two things - (a) it is heavy and I'm not sure that works for drivability - I'm a new driver (all my older cars were driven by my sister or by my driver, including the 800) and this is a big car. (b) Stories about Tata A.S.S are not very encouraging. I intend to keep the car almost forever and this is a concern especially in Hyderabad because unlike in Bangalore or Mumbai the general level of professionalism service here is poor (plagues everything - including software engineers). There may be exceptions but my hard earned money is not going after that risk.

Other cars you wrote about are more expensive - do not make sense.
I live in Bhubaneshwar and understand your point. However all that I wanted to tell you is that Ford Figo has been a game changer for Ford in India. It is a great car-a VFM proposition. However if you consider it as an "investment" the long term ownership cost of a Ford is expensive. Higher costs of spare parts (provided they are available) coupled with poor resale value make it a kind of a white elephant in the long run.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
@deepfusion

Prices have increased a bit, there is no discount on offer and also taxes in Hyderabad are way higher than in Delhi (I maintain two households - NCR and Hyderabad)

Though your figure is a little lowball, I bought Figo TDCI ZXI for my sister for over 5.5L in March last year (or two years ago - basically her's is one of the first few hundred Figos - it wasn't very popular then and was a head turner for several months )

Ford India - Request a Quote

The ex-showroom price itself is 5.49L right now (this has increased by about 17k recently)

With 12% tax, insurance and other stuff ...
We infact bought two figo titaniums in January this year. One petrol, in some dark bluish shade, and one diesel, in bright red shade. Petrol cost us Rs. 4.72 OTR Delhi, while diesel cost us Rs. 5.61 lakhs OTR, DElhi.

I could, if you so wish, talk to Ford dealer in Delhi for you, and may be, a discount deal could be worked out.

We have found that Figo is an extremely practical car in daily driving.

Last edited by deepfusion : 25th April 2011 at 17:53. Reason: Adding information
Old 25th April 2011, 18:08   #25
BHPian

Hi
Like pointed out earlier you can choose to wait for couple of months to see the new logan in flesh before plonking your money.
I have driven both the cars. Logan more extensively than figo but here is my opinion. Figo is a new car with a new look where as logan fails miserably in that front. In resale again we have to wait and see since figo is a new car and logan does not have much resale value. Except for these two disadvantages, the rest, handling, space, comfort, mileage, highway stability, logan wins hands down. Try driving the figo at 100 or take a turn at just above 50kmph and do the same with logan you will be surprised at how well logan behaves unlike figo. Almost forget the safety features are better in figo compared to logan. I do own a mahindra product and i should say i am happy with their service provided i am careful in checking over things. So waiting to see your decision. Cheers
Old 25th April 2011, 19:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
Like pointed out earlier you can choose to wait for couple of months to see the new logan in flesh before plonking your money.
I have driven both the cars. Logan more extensively than figo but here is my opinion. Figo is a new car with a new look where as logan fails miserably in that front. In resale again we have to wait and see since figo is a new car and logan does not have much resale value. Except for these two disadvantages, the rest, handling, space, comfort, mileage, highway stability, logan wins hands down. Try driving the figo at 100 or take a turn at just above 50kmph and do the same with logan you will be surprised at how well logan behaves unlike figo. Almost forget the safety features are better in figo compared to logan. I do own a mahindra product and i should say i am happy with their service provided i am careful in checking over things. So waiting to see your decision. Cheers
I don't care much about looks (I mean seriously - if I did care then what would I do about my own looks ) Also I intend to keep the car till it sputters car-blood, loses a few limbs, develops arthritis in the others and cries pitifully whenever made to work. So resale value is not a consideration at this time.

Initial price difference is a big difference though, I just can't wait any more, Verito is going to be same as Logan (according to the press releases) except for styling etc. - which also means very similar price.

I might have considered DLX vs. DLSX, but that comes with a lot of stuff gone - including the ABS (which I care about).

If you argue that Logan without ABS is about as good as Figo with ABS, then I don't care much about Airbags, alloys and stuff.

Last edited by vina : 25th April 2011 at 19:40.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that can change my mind is if someone tells me that Logan without ABS is as good as Figo with ABS in terms of brake performance
At least I wont tell you that. As per my limited knowledge, it is always better to take a ABS equipped car. And airbags too.

Get a car with ABS and Airbags. You won't regret it.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
At least I wont tell you that. As per my limited knowledge, it is always better to take a ABS equipped car. And airbags too.

Get a car with ABS and Airbags. You won't regret it.

That's what I figured will be the response.

I agree fully that ABS is useful (vs. the same car without ABS). But here is a comparison between one car with ABS and another without ABS - the results can go either way. For example if stopping distance of car X is 50m with ABS and that of car B is 20m without, then car B is obviously better even without ABS. Also for people who do not drive fast at all (my father for example - he wouldn't even let the driver go above 55kmph) ABS may not have much utility.

I personally want it - that is the only reason why Titanium and not ZXI is under consideration.

About Airbags there has never been any clear data (I'm sure I'm going to be skinned and flamed for what follows, but then what's life without a little bit of fun):

Seat belt vs. Without seat belt has been found effective in over 2/3rds of accidents in terms of preventing fatalities and injuries - and these included all sorts of accidents (frontal, sideways, car toppling over ... In some very rare cases seat belt can increase chances of injuries - e.g. if you get stuck and the vehicle catches fire - but on the whole evidence is overwhelming that they save life and limb). These studies were done without Airbags.

Airbag vs. no airbag was found to help in 15% of accidents (and the drivers were not wearing seatbelts). Furthermore these were very specific accidents, usually frontal. In rollovers, sideway crashes etc. Airbags didn't help much.

BUT here's the clincher - if you are already wearing seat belts then Airbag has never been shown to have any marginal utility (i.e. seatbelt + airbag better than seatbelt alone) whatsoever - In almost no instance does the seatbelt (provided you keep it in good condition and wear it always) allow enough body movement that the airbag will be a major factor.

All of the above from some pages I came across on the internet late last year - they quoted NTSB tables and some EU-nations studies.

Now I make it point to get even the taxi drivers to wear the belts when I'm travelling - I don't think I want to waste my money on Airbags.
Old 25th April 2011, 21:01   #29
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About Airbags there has never been any clear data (I'm sure I'm going to be skinned and flamed for what follows, but then what's life without a little bit of fun):

I don't think I want to waste my money on Airbags.
No my friend, you wont be skinned. It maybe true that airbags are useful, but nothing beats the utility of seatbelts as a life saver.

The following maybe off topic.

I will mention three accidents where there were no airbags yet the driver walked out without a scratch.

1. WagonR on Mumbai-Pune Expressway near Panvel Exit. My friend was driving around 80-90 kmph. It was daytime. A car came and hit on the rear left side. He does not remember what car it was since everything happened so suddenly. WagonR rolled 360 deg several times due to the shear force and then turned turtle a couple of times. After the car came to rest, my friend unbuckled and came out unharmed. The car was totalled.

2. Maruti 800 on Mumbai-Pune Expressway near Talegaon Exit. It was after midnight. Another friend was coming back to Pune. An Innova came from behind and hit his 800. His car shot out of the highway, crashed on the highway railings, toppled over and came to rest on some rocks. He also walked out unharmed, some scratches though. Police could not believe that anyone was alive after looking at the debris. Needless to say, car was totalled.

3. Ford Ikon on Mumbai Pune old highway. This guy was driving over 130-140 and hit a buffalo. The buffalo went over the bonnet and over car roof and the car also turned turtle after that. Again car was totalled. Driver was unharmed, no injuries, no broken bones.

I dont have pictures of the accidents. But if anyone had seen the condition of the cars after the accident, it would have been difficult to believe that anyone walked out alive. None of the cars were high tech in modern terms. No ABS, EBD, Airbags etc. In all these cases it was the seatbelt that saved the driver.

Seatbelt works.

Now back to main topic...
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 21:09   #30

Who in his right mind would buy a Logan? Or for that matter the Ford Figo?

The Logan has wiper blades that are configured for LHD market. Are you going to drive around in that in India? Even the turn indicator stalks are configured for LHD. Also it comes with a single reverse light.

Ford Figo has all these problems (but not the wiper issue) plus its rear windows can only be rolled down half way.

Why cant you choose some other proper car which can at least offer you the basics, for the money are spending on it. Please do not promote companies that skimp on safety or has poor design features.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed