Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-owned Civic or Brand-new Sedan? EDIT - Bought a Civic

Hi folks. I currently own a Hyundai Santro XP that was bought pre-owned in February 2010. Being a first-time car owner in my family, I didn't had the experience nor the financial strength to go for a bigger car at that moment. So, even though the car had only bare-basic essentials (AC & PS) and had already run 48,000 odd kilometers with the previous owner, I settled to go for it.

I have to admit that it was a perfect decision. The car has served me extremely well and inspite of the flaws that come with it's tall-boy design, I have taken it for quite a few long drives in the past one year (Trichy/Munnar/Wayanad/Bangalore/Ooty). The legendary reliability and no-nonsense attributes of the Santro made sure that I was not stuck anywhere with problems. Now I know how that car still sells 8000 units after 13 years of existence.

Now, after 15 months of car ownership, I want to pursue my love. The love interest in this case is the 'Honda Civic'. I am always quite outspoken when it comes to my love for Civic and all my kith and kin knows and understands it. The whole lot of 'New' and 'Preowned' Civic ownership threads in Team-Bhp didn't help either. Spl thanks to the threads of GTO, smartcat and Ace F355, which gave me the guts to proceed with my search.

Having almost finalized that I am going to get a pre-owned Civic within the next few weeks, there is a constant pressure from people around to go for a brand-new car with my budget of 7.5 Lacs. My heart is skewed towards the Civic only but that is not helping me to deal with them and convince them. Now, what would Team-Bhp say?

Proceed with my search for the perfect pre-owned Civic or a brand-new car? I am totally lost. Help me decide.
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:31   #2
BHPian

re: Pre-owned Civic or Brand-new Sedan? EDIT - Bought a Civic

There is one excellent thread by GTO on lateral upgrade, search for the thread and go through the logic slowly.
Let it sink in.
You will be armed to teeth to "deal with them and convince".

However, a word of caution -
Why waste energy convincing people, convince yourself and the ones really love you shall get convinced.

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
There is one excellent thread by GTO on lateral upgrade, search for the thread and go through the logic slowly.
Let it sink in.
You will be armed to teeth to "deal with them and convince".

However, a word of caution -
Why waste energy convincing people, convince yourself and the ones really love you shall get convinced.

Cheers
Thanks man. Infact, I decided to go for a pre-owned Civic in the first place only after going through GTO's 'Lateral Upgrades" thread. As I said, my really close ones are all with me in this decision.

But, when people keep yelling that its not worth spending so much money on a pre-owned car, I am bogged down by their comments. That is the reason for this dilemma.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:18   #4
BHPian

ariv86 - go for a pre-owned civic. Well, I am looking at an upgrade myself and now looking for a pre-owned Civic, AHNC or a Cruze. But again, my one advice would be to keep searching and never settle for anything less than a perfectly well maintained vehicle. **Chennai - pre-owned cars are expensive (costlier) and never always clean**
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

WHile going the Pre-owned route is definetly good, do keep in mind that the maintenance costs of a 13-15L car wont be same as a 7-8 lac car just because you are getting one at that price.

Please check the Regular Service costs(You wont be getting any free services) & other costs of regular replacement parts like Brake pads, Bumper, Tail lamps, Headlights or anything specific that needs replacement on a civic at X km intervals etc.

If you are comfortable with those prices then go ahead & buy the civic
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
ariv86 - go for a pre-owned civic. Well, I am looking at an upgrade myself and now looking for a pre-owned Civic, AHNC or a Cruze. But again, my one advice would be to keep searching and never settle for anything less than a perfectly well maintained vehicle. **Chennai - pre-owned cars are expensive (costlier) and never always clean**
Very true. While I get to see pre-owned Civics and other cars at mouth-watering prices in Delhi and Mumbai, when it comes to Chennai and even Bangalore, the prices are much much costlier. But, we have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
WHile going the Pre-owned route is definetly good, do keep in mind that the maintenance costs of a 13-15L car wont be same as a 7-8 lac car just because you are getting one at that price.

Please check the Regular Service costs(You wont be getting any free services) & other costs of regular replacement parts like Brake pads, Bumper, Tail lamps, Headlights or anything specific that needs replacement on a civic at X km intervals etc.

If you are comfortable with those prices then go ahead & buy the civic
Thanks for your advice Technocrat. Will definitely keep those costs in mind. After all, more than buying, its all about owning the car thats going to give us peace or pain.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Here you go with some details.

Service costs are in the range of Rs800 (every 5k) to 2000 (every 10k). Consumables like oil is Rs1000/Rs 3000 (mineral/synth) every 10K. Fuel Filter every 40K - Rs5000. Brake pads - Rs 5000 each for front and rear. Brake discs 2500 each for front, Tail lamps - Rs 4800, Head lamps Rs 13000, Front / rear bumber - upwards of Rs 5000 plus painting based on what all parts required.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Here you go with some details.

Service costs are in the range of Rs800 (every 5k) to 2000 (every 10k). Consumables like oil is Rs1000/Rs 3000 (mineral/synth) every 10K. Fuel Filter every 40K - Rs5000. Brake pads - Rs 5000 each for front and rear. Brake discs 2500 each for front, Tail lamps - Rs 4800, Head lamps Rs 13000, Front / rear bumber - upwards of Rs 5000 plus painting based on what all parts required.
Thanks for your input friend. You and your various travelogues in the Civic are my greatest attractions and one of my inspirations too for getting one for myself.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:39   #9
BHPian

Hi arvi86,

Go for CIVIC man. No other car below 10lac will give you the status quo, excitement and ownership experience what CIVIC gives. Who knows that you got this as a second or third hand, CIVIC is CIVIC. My colleague also bought a pre-worshipped CIVIC last december for 7 lacs. From the day one he is much more happier than his old ikon 1.8D ownership woes. The service costs also not high as the others in the same segment. he is getting around 10-11kmpl in CITY limits. We live this life only once, go for what you want to own..
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Civic is indeed your dream car and you are convinced that it is great value even as a pre-owned, what exactly are you waiting for? Do your due diligence and go for it!
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true. While I get to see pre-owned Civics and other cars at mouth-watering prices in Delhi and Mumbai, when it comes to Chennai and even Bangalore, the prices are much much costlier. But, we have to live with it.
Very good observations and attitude. The used car prices in Bnagy are atrociously high. Even if you factor in the higher cost of purchase, it still doesn't justify the prices sellers demand for used cars. For a person like me, who is from Delhi, convincing myself to buy a used can in Bangy is near impossible. However, you captured it beautifully. Just take it and look for best deals.

I would recommend a used Civic for you. reason, for 7.5 lakh, you not get a true blue classy sedan. You can get compromiser or lower end sedans (DZire, Etios types), or loaded hatchbacks (Jazz,Polo,Punto,i20). Nether of the above categories will satisfy your hunger for classy sedan. Had you had a budget of 9ish lakhs, then you would have had ANHC, Vento etc type of sedans in your budget and that would have made it a tricky choice. If I were you, I'd pick pick up Civic.

On of the few cases when you head and heart will point you towards same direction. We'll be waiting for the ownership thread.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 2nd May 2011 at 11:55.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Proceed with my search for the perfect pre-owned Civic or a brand-new car? I am totally lost. Help me decide.
My vote for Civic.
As suggested by others, well maintained Civic with less mileage should be trouble free and gives you 'Premium' image with a big SMILE always.
My brother had same dilemma 1.5 years back while upgrading from Wagon-R and finally settled with Civic. Keep up cost, just a band above Wagon-R

The only problem with civic (i hope pre 2009 models) is with the lousy rear suspension. The baby kisses almost all the humps when loaded with 4 + luggage.

All the best for your hunt.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:28   #13
dot
Senior - BHPian

@arvi86, as you and most of the folks here have pointed out, any new sedan/hatchback in the price bracket of 7-8L will not have the features that Civic offers. More importantly, will not give you the excitement and satisfaction of owning a Civic.

Adding to what @laluks said, do visit the Civic Maintenance and Must do thread on the long term ownership subforum, in case you havent already. It will give you an idea what owners are experiencing at 20k, 40k to 80k kilometers of driving.

If the car that you have chosen has a good service history that can be easily obtained from Honda, you cant go too wrong.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dot : 2nd May 2011 at 13:36.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all of you. As a first step, I just went and saw two Civics at a second hand dealer in Chennai.

Car 1 - Bluish Silver Civic S MT - 29,500 kms - Single Owner - Full Service History with Sundram Honda - Car was looking good, interiors were good too but there were some scratches near the power-window switches. But I will have to take a test drive to confirm the same. Will go for a test drive before tomorrow evening. Quoted Price - 7.7 Lacs
Car 2 - White Civic S MT - 30,000 kms - 2 Owners - Service History was not available with the dealer at that time - Had a few dents/scratches in the boot and rear fenders. So, rejected straight away. Quoted Price - 7 Lacs
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Though I don't prefer pre-owned cars because of individual reasons but if you are getting a good deal then there is no issue in buying a used car. Go through GTO's thread describing the tips on getting a used car.

In the budget of 7-8 lacs you can get plenty of good civics, you just need to research well. Civic is an excellent car, its stability is best in class. You should go ahead with the right deal.

If you still consider a new sedan and that too from Honda, then Honda city is the right baby for you. Happy hunting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks