Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:18   #1
BHPian

2005 C-180 Go for it or not?

Hi

I have come across a C-180 2005 model from a friend, which has run about 30K kms. This is a car that my friend has seen on a daily basis and says that it has been maintained extremely well.I have heard some stories about 180 having issues in one of GTO's threads. the quoted price is 7L. I expect the price to come down a bit during bargaining. I also want to keep the car for atleast 3-4 years. This car would be primarily used for highways which is quite a bit and for pleasure driving.

The shape of this model is what i love the most and have been wanting one from a very long time. Do let me know if this is worth the try?

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2005 C-180 Go for it or not?

AVOID!
Firstly, didn't mercedes bring out the C200K petrol in 2005, discontinuing the C180?
Secondly, these cars are known for electrical gremlins. I would particularly avoid it if you were interested in only using it for highway travel, as the last thing you want is the car breaking down in the middle of a highway with your family members inside.
Instead, for 7L, why not look at a more reliable Honda Accord V6 of the same/newer vintage?
More power, more space, almost as well equipped, and way more reliable! In fact, the only thing the Accord would need would be a modified suspension, and if you don't mind shelling out 1L extra for that, you would get a great car for your budget.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 18:52   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One word of advice = RUN

The C180 is a lousy automobile and one that's plagued with issues. Believe me, it will drive you up the wall with innumerable problems & astronomical repair bills. Plus, the car isn't really powerful either. If you want to buy a car for highway driving, get an Accord, Civic, Camry or Corolla. Plenty of them available for 7 lakhs, which will be hassle free to own, faster than the C180 and more spacious too.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 18:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Two words of advice = Hell NO !

Go by GTO's advice. We both have sailed in the same boat or rather drowned in this case.

Also if a 'friend' is selling you this car then you might want to re-think your friendship with him

Last edited by Sahil : 4th July 2011 at 18:57.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 19:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yikes! i agree with the comments listed below.
i have heard and read a lot about the gremlins in the c 180.
how about the e class w124. i think it would be cheaper and easier to maintain. Though it has it's own set of issues.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Hi

I have come across a C-180 2005 model from a friend, which has run about 30K kms. This is a car that my friend has seen on a daily basis and says that it has been maintained extremely well.I have heard some stories about 180 having issues in one of GTO's threads. the quoted price is 7L. I expect the price to come down a bit during bargaining. I also want to keep the car for atleast 3-4 years. This car would be primarily used for highways which is quite a bit and for pleasure driving.

The shape of this model is what i love the most and have been wanting one from a very long time. Do let me know if this is worth the try?

Cheers
make a point to read this for sure.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...enz-india.html

In other words, AVOID.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreeing to everyone above, i suggest Avoid this car. Not only this car was problematic, the performance is also not good. If you must buy a C Class, then stretch the budget and get a post facelift Kompressor or 220 CDI.
Old 4th July 2011, 22:31   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2011 at 09:26.
shiv is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th July 2011, 23:35   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for the one word advise on the 180. The only reason to drive me to this car was the shape of this generation c- class, which I am extremely fond of.

I am not too keen on accord / civic or corolla. They all may be great cars with enormous potential, but the badge drives me. I honestly feel that if I am able to get a merc in the same price range without the hiccups you have mentioned, then the accords don't make sense to me at all. I am sure that the gizmo level is all the same in the cars here unless we bring the new 'superbs' which is out of question.

I can stretch the budget to a max of 9L ( originally the budget was for a safari 2.2 ). Is it worthwhile looking for thec class of 2001-2004 shape since I am not keen on the new shape at all.
Old 11th July 2011, 20:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Thanks all for the one word advise on the 180. The only reason to drive me to this car was the shape of this generation c- class, which I am extremely fond of.

I am not too keen on accord / civic or corolla. They all may be great cars with enormous potential, but the badge drives me. I honestly feel that if I am able to get a merc in the same price range without the hiccups you have mentioned, then the accords don't make sense to me at all. I am sure that the gizmo level is all the same in the cars here unless we bring the new 'superbs' which is out of question.

I can stretch the budget to a max of 9L ( originally the budget was for a safari 2.2 ). Is it worthwhile looking for thec class of 2001-2004 shape since I am not keen on the new shape at all.
While the brand may drive you, do keep in mind, the running costs of the bigger brands are much higher. A C Class of that vintage with no hiccups is a rarity (if it exists at all, that is). A service at an A.S.S. would cost around 25K a year, plus parts failure, bringing the total yearly expenditure close to 1L for older mercs. In some cases, it is even more.
While you could get a C Class in this budget, you could also get a similar age import if you look around patiently. There are some imports of 3 series, and 5 series which you could look at as well in the same price range. However, you would have to be doubly careful of the paperwork and maintainance of these cars. Perhaps an older Lexus if you are lucky!
The 2001-2004 shape C Class was one of the more unreliable batches, and the facelifted model is supposed to be more reliable (but not hiccup free at all!). Instead of a C Class, do check out older mercs. Why not a W140 S Class for around 4-5L with a V6 (S 320) under the hood, excellent build quality, and the badge? You would save around 4-5L from your budget, which can always be used for maintainance. Maybe even a W124 E220 (Heck you could get an Accord for the highway runs, and a W124 E220 for the badge value for around 9-10L).
Old 25th July 2011, 23:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what I wanted to say is said by Lambo sir. Go for a W124, you will neither repent on the quality, fit and finish or the badge factor. Also these days W124 has become more of a collection so grab one soon otherwise you will loose it. I am also looking for a good W124 but unable to get one of my choice. So grab yours if you manage one. It is surely a highway cruiser(W124) and as said by others, no niggles in the quality or better said, the last of the best quality of Mercs, for which they were once know for! Best of luck with your search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks