Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 10:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Oranges or Apples : SUV or D-Segment?

Well what positive is saying is absolutely true. If seating comfort is high on your agenda then SUVs are a strict no no. If the feel of driving an SUV in terms of the stance etc is a major factor then you should go in for one.

BTW since your association with SKODA is very good ( yea I heard of the connection ), I personally feel you should go for the Superb. Not a single person has said anything negative about the car on this forum apart from the after sales which is not an issue in your case. I sincerely recommend SKODA SUPERB.

ps: Has to be the first time in my life I am telling someone to go for a Skoda!
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 10:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Mayank, you've made it more clear!
Its another vehicle to add to the existing ones. Does'nt matter if its an SUV or another Sedan. My doubt is, what do I choose, SUV or Sedan. If an SUV, then which one and if its a Sedan, which one?
My recommendation as you already have a Laura, moving to Superb would be a good idea. I have only checked the interiors and haven't driven it, but should be as fun to drive as the Laura. Yeti i have driven and did not like for lack of space.

If you are looking for SUV, depending on what are your priorities. I found the Fortuner->Captiva->Santa Fe (In that order) for Space, Comfort, long lasting ruggedness and stability (Others are petrol, which i think you have ruled out). I have driven all of them (Except the Outlander) and hence the preference is post driving.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:53   #18
BHPian

No worries. I'll be there at the campus when its there !

Is Nissan Teana availabe in diesel? If Yes, please have a look at it. Its not a regular car you see everyday, and its pretty comfortable (since it would be used by your father )
Or, How about an used 520d ?

In other competition, the superb wins in the diesel segment.

I'll add some more options soon
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Look who is shopping...

Mitra...Looking at your choices, I understand you have a clear inclination towards Superb, but since we all know its a great car, lets keep that aside for now. Do some R&D on entry level models of Mercs and BMWs. Unfortunately, they are not very comfy at the rear at the asking price. If at the end of the research, you dont find anything likeable, go for Superb.

Like most have mentioned, X1 becomes most natural choice in this bracket. X1 in the Walnut Brown colour is AWESOME. X1 has all the gizmos. The only let down is the average rear seat space, but its not too bad.

Few other choices:
1) Nissan Teana: Such a beast of a car, sadly ignored due to not so popular Nissan brand. But, its catching up.
2) Nissan X Trail: I remember watching a show down between XTrail, Fort, SantaFe and XTrail came out to be a winner(surprisingly) as a better overall package.

I have 2 very different suggestions:

1) VW Beetle: Darling of a car all over the world. Sheer quality of the interiors and everything is beyond imagination. Runs a like wild horse. Only issue is its only a 2 seater car. Rear seat is not meant for adults. But, still my fav in the 20-25 bracket.

2) Toyota Prius: Most fuel efficient car in the world (Toyota claims). The hybrid nature makes a lot of sense and would prove to be more worth in the coming years.

I have not mentioned Fort, coz I was disappointed when I entered the cabin the first time. The exterior is so mind blowing, but the interiors are a let down. Especially that long and not-so-good looking gear lever. I prefer the Scorpio's gear lever to Fort's (personal choice, no harm meant). Also, not much of an idea of SantaFe but remember reading that its not in the VFM category as compared to XTraila and Fort.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:23   #20
BHPian

Hmmm now this is interesting.

One one side we have what the heart desires and on the other hand we have what the head says we should desire.

Now let's see, lets go with what the head thinks first, shall we?

First look at the requirements: Chauffeur driven, to be used by your father, needs a huge leather sofa in the rear with acres of legroom and a lot of feel good factor overall.
To be frank, none of the SUVs offer all of these things in this price range(up to 30L). And since your dad does not approve of pre-worshipped beauties, we've hit a road block there as well.
So the only logical choice left is a car. Since you do not like the new Passat and do not want to go for a petrol, that leaves us with only the Superb. Now, Skoda could not have named the car better 'cause the car is simply SUPERB!!
It fits the bill perfectly,you don't have to worry about Skoda service issues, your dad will appreciate all the creature comforts, the huge legroom and the engine is a beast as well!! Yaayy!!

But now your heart butts in and presents you with an image of a super cool monster SUV with which you plow through traffic and fly over potholes while other car owners look on enviously as they struggle in poor roads. Bummer.(hey I'm no SUV owner but I do get envious sometimes when I have to crawl through poor roads and a Scorpio plows through leaving me in the dust!!)

So the SUV choices are the T-Fort(well established, big size and the T badge). By the way, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Toyota rectify the brake issues which plagued the first Fortuners out on the roads?

Then we have the Endeavour - huge, muscular, and generally very 'beasty'.
However, I have heard that the ride is a bit harsh(Owners please verify) and so your dad might find it a pain in his backside, literally!!

Next the X-Trail - A very well finished all rounder SUV, which just oozes with 'awesomeness'!! Its got the looks, the muscle, quite a lot of features and what not.
However, the space is not very much on the large side. I can confirm this as my dad used to own a X-Trail for a while in Bahrain.

Next,the Santa Fe- Take a TD of this vehicle to be sure of the space and handling. Being a Hyundai, I'm not expecting very good handling as the car will mostly be set up on softer springs.( no offense to Hyundai owners)
However I've heard that the engine is a monster at 190bhp!!

personally i would have listened to my heart and gone for an SUV. The heck with space, I can terrorize all small cars!!
Take good, long TDs of all the cars and tell us your decision!!
Speed.Demon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks so much for the valuable suggestions!

By the overall suggesitons and my personal opinion, SUV may not be a good idea. Like @Poitive has mentioned, ingress and egress may be a problem for my father. Also, an SUV is not really meant to be chauffeur driven!

So by the looks of it, the SUV (T-Fort, Outlander, Endy etc etc) seem to be out.
Now, it remains between the sedans and X1 / XTrail. Let me TD both. Lets see how that goes. Have driven the XTrail, but not in India. Also, does anyone know how the Nissan A.S.S is in India?

As far as sedans are concerned, Superb is what the heart has been saying even before the Laura came home! But other vehicles are equally at par. So lets see.

@Ajay and @Mikon: Nissan Teana is a superb (pun intended!) vehicle. But the pricing is ridiculous. So is the T-Prius. So seems to be out of the equation for now.

@Speed Demon: Dude, you seem to be like my long lost brother . We think so alike! You've penned down all that I had in mind. Thanks for the suggestion mate! Much appreciated.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 14th July 2011 at 11:31. Reason: Adding text.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Superb: What a car! There has been enough said on how the car has everything a 35L car would have.
Quote:
Ah yes, Skoda horror stories do not bother me at all. We've had an absolute headache free ownership of the Laura till now (touchwood) and have also had an absolute trouble free ownership experiance of a 1.9 Octi in the past. Plus, the dealer being (like) a friend is an added bonus.
IF your usage is limited to mostly good roads I suggest you to seriously consider the Superb(thinking man's luxury car??). Passat is equally good but most luxury car buyers find the styling too conservative.

If space is not a concern and dynamics + Driving involvement is more important have a look at BMW 320d and X1, if you are on a tight budget both of these come with cheaper corporate editions which are great VFM with all the safety equipment and same engines.

The SUVs have advantages of their own, they can take much more abuse and go any where but none of the SUVs(the real ones, chassis based) are even close in Refinement, luxury feel and quality to Superb, Passat and Accord.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th July 2011 at 10:18. Reason: typo
Old 14th July 2011, 18:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on starting your first thread! I guess all my nagging finally paid off!

I think a D-sedan is pretty much the way to go. Enough has been said about how perfect the Superb is for your requirement, so let me add to that chorus: GET THE SUPERB! I sat in it when I went to TD the Laura and believe me, it's in another league. Even the Passat didn't impress me as much sitting in the back (though in the driver's seat I think I pick the Veedub). 2 lit Crdi @140 BHP with a DSG to boot will complement your MT Laura very nicely.

And I know who your friend is, so don't think you have a service issue at most automobile dealerships in Pune .

Ditch the SUV idea. And the BMW X1 is really a young man's vehicle, not sure your Dad would feel at ease in one.

I'd have suggested an A4 but I think it may be beyond your budget. Actually I think your Dad is ready for his Beemer or Merc but the 3/C are not worth the trouble- a 525d is probably what will push all the right buttons! Or an E-class. Think you can convince him to stretch a little?

Good luck- yeah and if you need company for the TDs you know whom to ask!

Edit: @.anshuman- I love the videos you post- so spot-on! I had no idea the Fifth Gear guys were so gung-ho on the Superb, not the kind of thing you associate them with!

Last edited by noopster : 14th July 2011 at 18:37.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 20:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

As the titles says, I am comparing Oranges to Apples here.

A need for a new car has arisen and as always, its only TBHP that I can rely on.
I know this will come out of nowhere, but have you considered the Aria? It will easily fit in your budget, has loads of features, has quite good fit & finish, above average ride comfort & handling characteristics, decent space and ingress and egress wouldn't be as problematic as in a SUV.

As far as reliability and A.S.S goes, I haven't come across any deal breaker issues yet related to the Aria on this and other forums.

Sorry if I've added to the confusion!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th July 2011 at 20:04.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 20:24   #25
BHPian

Hello.

I would suggest you check out a thread I had started for a car for my father. The desired fields seem to match.
http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...mfortable.html

After the selection process, the Honda Accord 2.4 (pre-face lift version) was what Dad went in for. I would say this car has much less bang for the buck vis-a-vis the competitors (especially Superb and Passat).

My recommendation, based on suggestion, research, TD, etc. done about 3 months back, would be the VW Passat.
The car looks beautiful in person, reeks of quality, in and out, and seems to fit the bill quite well.
If not, then going by what others also seems to say, the Skoda Superb. Especially since you don't have issues with the dealership.

Hope you have a good time looking!

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 14th July 2011, 22:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me who feels this way -
VW cars : "I am the successful sedate executive and dare not express myself"
Skoda cars : "I have design flair. Lots of it. And don't mind showing it!"

Anyday prefer the Skodas' looks over VWs.
(well there may be exceptions, if I really get to comparing 'all' of them)
Old 15th July 2011, 10:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Swanand

Whats the latest? What's your dad inclinded to? I have a gut feeling that its going to be SUPERB at the end. Also, any particular colour in mind? I would say buy a black Superb. Stunning is the only word. Long cars look their best in Black colour. Black brings out the true character of D (and above) segment cars.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Amit: Shall surely let you know as to when the TD's are planned.

@Anshuman: Thanks a lot for the apt suggestions. As Noop said, the videos help a lot in making the decision. If you had to compare the Superb with the 320, where would your buck be?

@Noop: Your nagging has definitely paid off! You are right on the dealership front. Since this guy owns most of the showroom's, A.S.S. would not seem to be a problem.
Lets head to Europa on this weekend and do get that TD, we've been longing for a long time now. What say?

@Comfotably Numb: Aria is a lovely vehicle, no doubt. Its a giant leap for TATA for sure. However, the A.S.S in Pune (Pandit), has had tons of issues. Plus the attitude has been horrendous in the past. Not sure of the present though.

@Samarth: The Accord would have fitted the bill to the 'T', if it was a diesel.

@Poitive: I like that analogy. Skoda does have some quirky designs. More that say, Ive got it, i flaunt it!

@Ajay: Even I have a feeling it would be the Superb. And yes, the color of choice is black. Lets see what the family has to say.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 15th July 2011 at 10:55.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:26   #29
BHPian

Swanand, given your requirements (used by your father and chauffer driven) I feel that a sedan is a better option. Remember the car you drive speaks about your personality too. Think which will suit your dad's personality better - an SUV or a sedan.

I would recommend the Volvo S60. Volvo's being one of the safest cars around, I would rather see my dad in one, if I were in your place.

Boy! I wish I had a predicament like yours. How I'd have loved it.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Anshuman: Thanks a lot for the apt suggestions. As Noop said, the videos help a lot in making the decision. If you had to compare the Superb with the 320, where would your buck be?
Very tough choice. But for the snub value the choice would be on the 320. All said and done its a BMW. But for Chauffeur driven Superb is the only car that gives that living room like comfort.

Between Passat and Superb, if you like the passat design, it makes mroe sense to get that passat. Its just newer in most of the aspects. Its a VW and its a drivers car.

Between Passat and 320 - It has to be 320
Between Superb and 320 - Mind wants Superb but heart wants a BMW. I want BMW.

Ever considered an Audi. A4 or A6 (A8 is too high to spend on an Audi)

Quote:
I would recommend the Volvo S60. Volvo's being one of the safest cars around, I would rather see my dad in one, if I were in your place.
I guess the rear space is not exactly meant for chauffeur driven.

Quote:
And yes, the color of choice is black. Lets see what the family has to say
Check the Black Passat with the DRL. Almost makes you think its an Audi.

Last edited by VW2010 : 15th July 2011 at 11:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks