Team-BHP > What Car?

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 15:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oranges or Apples : SUV or D-Segment?

Hello folks,

As the titles says, I am comparing Oranges to Apples here.

A need for a new car has arisen and as always, its only TBHP that I can rely on.

As of now, the garage has a Swift VDi, almost two years with close to 40k, its still a bliss to drive on the clogged Pune roads.
The second car is a Skoda Laura 1.9TDi. Again, whatte car! Everytime I am behind the wheel its extremely difficult, not to redline the car.

The question here is: Do we upgrade to a D segment or do I go in for the SUV segment. Logically, since there is a hatch and a sedan (Ok, Laura cant be called a Sedan, but thats what it looks like), the next step would be an SUV.

Now, first things first. I would never, NEVER go off roading or doing the kind of things you off-road lovers do. No, thats not me. I like smooth roads and long drives. No crossing rivers or going over a hill for me.

My choices for the SUV are:

Fortuner: Love the truck like look. An absolute monster of an engine. But lack of disc brakes and interiors are a bit of a let down though.

Endeavor: After driving one for a few days, I loved the beast. Back seat comfort may be a problem though.

Now, in the D Segment (25L plus), I am looking at the following cars.

Skoda Superb: What a car! There has been enough said on how the car has everything a 35L car would have.

VW Passat: Honestly, I didnt like the new Passat. Looks wise i.e. I for one prefer the older Passat.

I am not even looking at the Accord or the Camry. The need is for a Diesel and a Diesel workhorse only. Petrol is a big no no. Have washed my hands off petrol (literally!). The average running of the car would be 20k per year approx. Give or take a few k's.

Ah yes, Skoda horror stories do not bother me at all. We've had an absolute headache free ownership of the Laura till now (touchwood) and have also had an absolute trouble free ownership experiance of a 1.9 Octi in the past. Plus, the dealer being (like) a friend is an added bonus.

So, please help me choose the right car.

@Mods: Didnt really know as to which thread would this fit in. If such a thread exists, please merge accordingly. Thanks.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 13th July 2011 at 15:57. Reason: Formatting
Old 13th July 2011, 16:08   #2
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Oranges or Apples : SUV or D-Segment?

The Skoda Superb is a great car and since you have had trouble free aftersales experience from Skoda so far, it certainly is a logical upgrade. But if you are looking SUV-wards and are not really into off-roading, the BMW X1 2.0 CE would be a good choice. The car is good, the engine is proven and it loves to glide over smooth roads. Space may be an issue though.

Also worth considering is the Skoda Yeti. An SUV from the Skoda stable with terrific fuel economy, but may not be the car you want since you cited space related problem in the Endeavour and the Yeti has serious space limitations.

Its better to do a test drive of the Yeti, X1 and the Superb. My choice- BMW X1.

Happy choosing.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 16:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not also include the Captiva and the Santa Fe in that list too? Somehow Santa Fe has just been forgotten on the forum.

First you need to be sure of what you want. You cant compare any SUV with Superb. The latter will always win.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Assuming the Laura is going to stay, I would not go for another look-a-like, however premium it may be. The options could be Fortuner, Outlander and Santa Fe, Xtrail league.

If I had a money, Outlander or Sante Fe could have been the likely option for the exclusivity
Old 13th July 2011, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Skoda Superb.....My choice- BMW X1.

Happy choosing.
Thanks for the suggestion //M. X1 sure is a lovely vehicle. Somehow, we do not want the snob value thats associated with the Beemers or Mercs. Weird I know! Thats just how its been. But a TD never harmed anyone right!
Also, not too sure if the Yeti would be an upgrade of sorts. I mean, the sedan equivalent - Laura is already in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not also include the Captiva and the Santa Fe in that list too? Somehow Santa Fe has just been forgotten on the forum.

First you need to be sure of what you want. You cant compare any SUV with Superb. The latter will always win.
Tell me about being sure with what I want! Hence the title, oranges to apple!
I agree, Santa Fe did not even come to my mind. Thanks for the suggestion! Shall TD both, the Santa Fe and the Captiva.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good choice you got there Swanand!
However, I did not understand if this will be an addition to your garage or replace one of the existing beasts you have. If its the latter, which one do you intend to let go of?
Of the options you have listed I would go for either the BMW X1 or the T-Fort.
PS -> I dont know much about the Santa Fe, never driven one.

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th July 2011 at 16:42.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ignore the Fortuner - given your preferences/usage scenario, the negatives will outweigh the positives. Santa Fe, Xtrail, Outlander etc. are worth looking at - good handling SUVs capable of high speeds.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:01   #8
BHPian

Sir,
Would love to see a T-fort or X1 or Xtrail in the campus.!
How about a low-run used X5, Q7 or XC90 ?
Old 13th July 2011, 17:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not clear whether you are looking to replace your Laura or looking to add to your garage.

If you are looking for an upgrade, the Superb is an ideal candidate. It is a very capable car and terrific VFM for the comfort, technology and features it has. Since you are very happy with Skoda and are comfortable with your dealer, you can't go wrong with the Superb. Plus since you are not into off roading, why would you look to buy an SUV? Given that you are used to the mature handling Laura, you will find that SUVs handle like moving buildings on wheels. And do I dare say that cost of ownership will be higher with mammoth SUVs?

If you are looking to add to your garage then you can look at SUVs since they are capable of things which sedans are not. Plus your garage can boast of the full range : Hatch - Sedan - SUV. The T-Fort is the king in this segment and is almost unbeatable.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:24   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming that you are in the SUV market and don't really need a BMW X1 or a Skoda Yeti, there is no better all rounder than the Nissan X-Trail. The engine, specs and comfort levels are good. Perfectly suits your purpose. Also the Captiva and the Santa-Fe are worth considering. There are many Fortuners in the used car market also so do check it with the dealers if you don't mind an used car. Who knows you might strike a good deal with an almost new/fairly used Fortuner. The T-Fort is definitely an awesome package.
Old 13th July 2011, 18:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them pouring!

I did not mention it clearly in the OP. This will be an addition to the garage. None of the existing cars are to be sold.
I do love the used car market, however in this particular case, that would not be an option. This car will be used by my father (predominantly) and he's not a fan of used cars.

@Sanstorm & Nilnjaray: The Outlander would not be on the list for one reason only. PETROL!

@Mikon: Sadly, this one will be used mainly by my father. So rarely would this be seen on campus.

Guys, one important aspect that I forgot to mention is- during the day time (office hours) the car would be chauffeur driven. Only on the weekends would this be a selfdrive.
Old 13th July 2011, 18:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of whats the need, do you need more space as compared to Laura, or do you need just another vehicle (Car or SUV don't really care).

If its the space then i would rule out Yeti, and Fortuner, Santa Fe, Captiva. I did not like the Ford and Outlander is petrol.
Old 13th July 2011, 18:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mayank, you've made it more clear!
Its another vehicle to add to the existing ones. Does'nt matter if its an SUV or another Sedan. My doubt is, what do I choose, SUV or Sedan. If an SUV, then which one and if its a Sedan, which one?
Old 13th July 2011, 19:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them pouring!

I did not mention it clearly in the OP. This will be an addition to the garage. None of the existing cars are to be sold.
I do love the used car market, however in this particular case, that would not be an option. This car will be used by my father (predominantly) and he's not a fan of used cars.

Guys, one important aspect that I forgot to mention is- during the day time (office hours) the car would be chauffeur driven. Only on the weekends would this be a selfdrive.
Quite an apt title!

From the aforementioned requirements, I feel the Passat is an ideal option. Superb also is right up there, but since you already have a Skoda, I felt an alternate option will be better.

I hear that there are heavy discounts running on the Merc C-Class. Why not give it a thought as well? The upcoming face lifted model does not look much different from the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Mayank, you've made it more clear!
Its another vehicle to add to the existing ones. Does'nt matter if its an SUV or another Sedan. My doubt is, what do I choose, SUV or Sedan. If an SUV, then which one and if its a Sedan, which one?
You have not mentioned any requirement which warrant an SUV purchase
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 10:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Swanand, Like you said, the vehicle is going to be used on tarmac. Do you need SUV like GC? You also mentioned that it is going to be chauffeur driven during the week for your father and self driven only on weekends.

An SUV has a much higher centre of gravity. This makes SUV's handle very differently. AFAIK, typically you would not be able to corner it like you would be used to with a sedan. Do bear that in mind while making your choice. Also SUV's aren't really the ones to be driven around in. Also consider the ingress and egress for your father into a tall vehicle.The reason to go in for one may be just the 'idea' of being in one! To have a more 'complete range' in one's garage. Looking at it more practically a sedan seems to work a lot better for you. But what the heck! A lot of car decisions are made by one's heart!!

The X1 was a good suggestion, as it is not really high and should corner well. More so given it's BMW. However, rear seat comfort?

You were a bit averse to having 'the' German brands, so an entry level Merc may not work for you since it will have lesser legroom for the budget. Why not some other car with more rear legroom then? Since you don't like the Passat, and are a happy and confident Skoda customer, the Superb may be the practical choice for you.

Or else, go with your heart! What does it say?

Last edited by Poitive : 14th July 2011 at 10:26. Reason: typo, minor changes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed