Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 21:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm

Thanks for pointing it out. Copy paste error while using excel. You are right, the saving will be 2.37 per km.

Then the calculation becomes 120000/2.37, which comes to approx 51000 km (not 80000km). Then, the diesel makes sense, with a breakeven time period of less than 3 years.

I think many has pointed out that diesel will be a good option.
One thing which is ignored by everyone when comparing petrol and diesel cars. Resale value of diesel car is greater than that of petrol cars right? So is that not advantage?
Old 19th August 2011, 22:21   #17
BHPian

Re: Multiple Confusion syndrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
One thing which is ignored by everyone when comparing petrol and diesel cars. Resale value of diesel car is greater than that of petrol cars right? So is that not advantage?
Yes you are right. You do get back some of the initial amount invested in a diesel car.
Old 20th August 2011, 20:54   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Retain your Linea:

- Selling a 2 year old car means taking a MASSIVE hit in depreciation! This is especially true in the case of a petrol European (always the fastest to sink). Heck, I don't even recommend selling 5 year old cars.

- Replacing the Linea with a new car for depreciation benefits is akin to spending 100 bucks to get back 30. Penny wise, pound foolish.

- You still have warranty left on it.

For the wife:

- Jazz. The best hatchback in the market, now properly priced too

- Swift diesel. Fun, fresh and fuel-efficient too. Can't go wrong.

These two hatchbacks make for the most sensible deals today.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 23:17   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what GTO said !
Retain the Linea, get a Jazz or a Swift Diesel since both are VFM. You still have the Petrol Vs Diesel option between these 2 winners and let your mind or heart win !
This way you will have the Linea and another good car to choose for your long/highway drives.
Consider getting rid of the Linea after the 4 year warranty period is over and then you can get into a new bout of confusion syndrome

Last edited by NPV : 20th August 2011 at 23:18.
Old 21st August 2011, 08:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all.

Finally confusion No2 and No3 has been cured - As per everyone's advice I have decided to retain my linea since
1. Warranty is still left
2. Depreciation is worse right now.

So have finally decided to get a hatchback for city use for me and my wifey. my wifey drives car well but is afraid to take my linea out since it is huge and it does make sense to get a small car now

As per calculations of samm it makes sense that i should buy a diesel vehicle so that i can break even in a three years. since i am retaining my old car which i can simultaneously use it might even take longer to break even........

but since i have a petrol car and if i get a diesel car i can enjoy both petrol and diesel at same time and would be lesser strain on the wallet weekly i have decided to get a diesel burner.

But i am looking at Jazz too as GTO has said, after the recent good price slash.

Since i am retaining my old car i am in no hurry to get a car within September for tax halfyearly depreciation. so i am going to take a couple of months to analyse all suitable hatches and put a good bargain in place for the loan and buy the car.

So cars in competiton for the place in my garage

Petrol:
Jazz

Diesel:
Swift , Figo, I20, Beat, indica,

with Polo diesel, Liva diesel ( launch tentatively in september ) i can have more options under my budget of 7 lakhs max

What are the other options in small hatch diesel burners?

I am not looking at punto again for the same reason i dont want to be at loggerheads for 2 cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Retain your Linea:

-Swift diesel. Fun, fresh and fuel-efficient too. Can't go wrong.
I am banking on your review mate!!. did you TD it? i am looking daily in the official review for your swift experience . please dont make us wait

Thanks all. my confusion syndrome is partially cured...........

Last edited by geeash : 21st August 2011 at 08:28.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:24   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Diesel:
Swift , Figo, I20, Beat, indica,
My choice would be the swift given the comfort factor with service you get from Maruti.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks to all.
Finally confusion No2 and No3 has been cured - As per everyone's advice I have decided to retain my linea since
1. Warranty is still left
2. Depreciation is worse right now.
Good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash
So cars in competiton for the place in my garage
Petrol:
Jazz
Diesel:
Swift , Figo, I20, Beat, indica
Petrol: Why not a Swift petrol as well? Assume it will have much lesser waiting period. And also, the Honda Brio will be coming up in a month or two. Another option for the petrol list

Diesel: Why not the Micra? It should be a good option for your wife. I quite liked the Micra’s build quality.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. i left out micra........ forgot it.

No petrol swift. i am looking for diesel !! I dont want to end up paying 70bucks to get 14kmpl again

Last edited by geeash : 22nd August 2011 at 09:27.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good decision there in keeping the Linea. I'd go with most of the recommendations here

Petrol - Jazz

Diesel -
  • New Swift (Although you'll have to wait forever to get the car) !
  • Ford Figo
  • Chevy Beat (with the 3 year AMC it makes perfect sense)
Old 25th August 2011, 09:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

TD scheduled this weekend : Micra And I20. will post report soon. No swift TD car available in some of the outlets in chennai. still waiting for it
Old 29th August 2011, 22:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

TD ed Micra, Beat diesel yesterday. will post my reviews tomorrow
Old 18th September 2011, 14:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Retain your Linea:
- Selling a 2 year old car means taking a MASSIVE hit in depreciation! This is especially true in the case of a petrol European (always the fastest to sink). Heck, I don't even recommend selling 5 year old cars.
(my first emoticon on the forum!)

I have a Maruti Suzuki Esteem Di 2004 and the trade-in value offered for buying another Maruti at the start of this year was 1 lakh although the insurance agency values it at 2 lakhs. If I had the space to park both vehicles (which I don't), I would rather keep it as a second car at least for driving through heavy traffic areas because of the risk of scratches, dents, broken mirrors etc.

Depreciation is rather minimal because the car is just about to finish its 7th year and has been 80% depreciated already. Apart from a few cosmetic blemishes, the car still runs great so would be a good bargain for whoever wishes to buy it.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Tried Booking swift yesterday, the ABT wouldnt even take my booking owing to strike at MSIL.

Time to move on from swift to other cars
Old 21st September 2011, 13:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried Booking swift yesterday, the ABT wouldnt even take my booking owing to strike at MSIL.

Time to move on from swift to other cars
OPTION1:
  • I will reluctantly say that you retain the Linea. Reluctantly since you have petrol Linea which neither has the gusto nor the efficiency to make you proud in an otherwise dynamic car.
  • Buy a new Swift VDi. The car is an absolute all rounder. You can also go for new Jazz--> My fav petrol hatchback (closely followed Swift ZXi). But them you'll have two pertol cars with bigger fuel bills.
OPTION2:
  • Sell used and buy used. Sell the Linea and buy a Hinda Civic. Should cost you around 7 lacs. Will give you a bog 'feel good' factor as well as dynamic performance.
  • Buy a new Swift VDi. The car is an absolute all rounder. You may have to stretch your budget but you'll be more than happy with the car combo that possess.

I'd be tempted to go for option 2. Depends on Vitamin 'M' though.

Wishes.
Abhi.
Old 25th September 2011, 16:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

TD reports:

Ford Figo: @Ford Nandanam

Plus
1. Huge car in terms of space
2. Huge boot
3. Absolutely Nil turbolag.
4. Trivial waiting period ( 10 days for zxi model)
5. True VFM for money ( zxi costs 6.19 on road in chennai) less than a lakh and 20 rupees from swift and a lakh from micra
6. Good Mileage as reported by SA 17 inside city. Owners please speak up.....diesel variant only

Minus:

1. Feels outdated
2. Steering wheel not great to grip on. absolutely 0 feedback from steering, which is rather very large for the car and not sporty enough
3. Felt like the car would run out of breath at highways ( just my feel)
4. lack of basic equipments ( no rear power windows, no ACC even on topend , no usb port, crappy outdated ICE)
5. The A/C in the demo car was horrible. It was as if i was driving a non A/C car in Chennai midday
6. Though the seating is great and i have a nice view of the front, My mind keeps on thinking the car's GC is low and will scrap all speedos if laden with 4 people. will it will it not? can some one tell me
7. Service centre near my house is velachery/ vadapalani.......which is far

Things that really matters

Less Money
Less waiting period
Good city drive due to less turbo lag

Last edited by geeash : 25th September 2011 at 16:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks