Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which is a better car for Rs 5.5 to Rs 6.6 Lacs ( ex Showroom)
Toyota Etios 10 4.07%
Honda Jazz 236 95.93%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 17:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Toyota Etios

The Etios, I feel is a rather poor car, for what it offers. It loses out to the Jazz when it comes to performance, FE (am I right?), looks, interior quality and more importantly, cabin INSULATION and overall QUALITY and BUILD.
Look at the Jazz. For the price you pay, you get a 'master bedroom' of an interior with which you can play mix n' match for luggage, top notch interior quality, decent 'brand value', and a marvel of a car at a steal of a price with NO cost cutting! In fact, even at the old prices, I felt the Jazz had an upper hand, being a QUALITY product.
I may be getting myself a Jazz soon..
Old 20th August 2011, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Jazz at similar price point of Etios.... wonder how are you even thinking of Etios?! Jazz all the way man! Etios is way too frugally made to be even compared.

EDIT: Saw the poll results now. 4 people are recommending Etios... wonder they are the owners of of the car!

Last edited by ani_meher : 20th August 2011 at 17:43.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Your poll itself says the result. 60 votes in, and 56 have clicked on Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
My needs are:

a) Passenger space - Both offer plenty, though Etios might have the better rear seat space. The Jazz offers better head room and knee room though.

b) Good fuel efficiency - Almost par. Etios is easily the best petrol sedan in it's segment, and Jazz's 18 kmpl on highway, 15 kmpl in city driving, and 12 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic is no slouch either.

c) Low maintenance costs - Etios might come with cheaper spares, which says something about it's quality, doesn't it? In case of Jazz, spares quality is better and parts tend to last longer. It is a Honda, after all.

d) Comfort - The Jazz is very comfortable, both for the driver and the passengers. The suspension might feel a little stiff at lower speeds, but it's a pretty rugged car and can handle anything you throw it's way. The Etios is well-balanced, both at low speeds and on the highways. Riding comfort is slightly better in the Etios, although both cars are almost even in cabin space.

e) Boot Space - The Etios does have a generous boot, but remember it's a pretty light car (936 kgs). Load it up and it might disturb the balance of the car. The Jazz has a huge boot, and together with the Magic Seats, it offers sedan-like space in a hatch. It swallows luggage like anything, and you can carry enough for a road trip from Kanyakumari to Gulmarg, without disturbing the balance, FE and pickup of the car, IMO.

f) Prestige - No-brainer. The Jazz is a head-turner with it's road presence and the Honda badge, while the Etios tends to pass you by before you realise it was a Toyota Etios which went by just now.

g) Resale - I think both cars will rate pretty low in resale values actually. The Etios is built to a cost, so the best time to sell it would be within a year or two of buying it. Any more and the depreciation will catch up big time and the margin will be huge. The Jazz's earlier price made it good for resale, even after 2-3 years of ownership (Honda badge added to it). But now with the slashed prices, the resale value will come down considerably as well. Expect used Jazzes to come in the 4L bracket in a tearing hurry.

h) After Sales Service - Honda over Toyota any day. Their A.S.S is tried and tested and they take very good care of their cars when brought into the workshops, while Toyota still needs to improve a lot on their A.S.S. Lack of trained staff can be quite a deterrent for Toyota, specially for dealerships in states such as mine.
My replies in bold, bud.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th August 2011 at 17:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 20:29   #19
BHPian

Jazz would be my choice with the latest price correction.

Jazz is close to City on the interior space front, with very good boot space. If you do not have the sedan fixation this has all the big car feel from the inside.

However, the engine feels a little under powered when it is fully loaded and on the highway IMO. Adequate power for city driving though.

Maybe expecting too much but Jazz with the City engine (i-vtec) and priced less than the AHNC would be a steal !!

Etios; Feels very cheaply built, but does not translate in terms of pricing.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2011, 22:30   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boils down to a one word question:

Boot?

If yes, Etios. If you don't *absolutely* need the boot, the Jazz. Not that the Jazz boot is small; it's probably more useful than the useless one in the Civic!

The Etios is the best entry-level sedan, while the Jazz is the best hatchback on sale. The Etios will score in terms of driveability (big +++), ride quality (Jazz is stiff at low speeds), overall space (though the Jazz is also roomy) and it's large boot. The Jazz, on the other hand, is built like a truly premium product. Thus, the question really is : Boot or no boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Etios (petrol) launch would be one model that Toyota would like to forget!
I think you should forget this statement you made . The Etios has proven itself as an extremely successful sedan, and sold a whopping 5000 in June, and 4000 in July. It's direct competitors are the petrol Dzire & petrol Manza; the Etios is without doubt a superior overall package to either.
Old 20th August 2011, 23:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Boils down to a one word question:

Boot?

If yes, Etios. If you don't *absolutely* need the boot, the Jazz. Not that the Jazz boot is small; it's probably more useful than the useless one in the Civic!

The Etios is the best entry-level sedan, while the Jazz is the best hatchback on sale. The Etios will score in terms of driveability (big +++), ride quality (Jazz is stiff at low speeds), overall space (though the Jazz is also roomy) and it's large boot. The Jazz, on the other hand, is built like a truly premium product. Thus, the question really is : Boot or no boot?

I think you should forget this statement you made . The Etios has proven itself as an extremely successful sedan, and sold a whopping 5000 in June, and 4000 in July. It's direct competitors are the petrol Dzire & petrol Manza; the Etios is without doubt a superior overall package to either.
And thus the gto spoke OT - I seriously love the way you enter a thread unequivocal and write your opinion

IMO Jazz is classy ,if i was looking at something in this budget I would go for it just for the appeal and premium outlook.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2011 at 00:44. Reason: Removed the "God" :). Please understand, thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 23:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

Now I am in the market with a budget of approx 5.5 to 6.5 lacs.
My needs are:
a) Passenger space b) Good fuel efficiency c) Low maintenance costs d) Comfort e) Boot Space f) Prestige g) Resale h) After Sales Service.
Attributes are not necesarily in the priority as listed here.

What will be your choice?
a) The made for India Sedan Etios
b) The premium Hatch Jazz
- Passenger space: The Jazz is by far, the most spacious hatchback one can buy in India. More spacious than some B+ and C segment sedans and hatchbacks. I'm sure it's as spacious, if not, even more, than the Etios and the Etios Liva.

- Fuel efficiency: Our Jazz recorded 20 km to the liter of fuel on our way to Mysore and back. It has achieved a best of 15-16 km in city limits with the AC off, and consistently gives us 14 with the AC on.

- Low Maintenance Costs: Despite being considered a premium brand and the Jazz, a premium hatch, service costs are not much. My Santro has been running up bigger bills than the Jazz, or for that matter, even our Civic, on a regular basis!

- Comfort: The front seats on the Jazz are as comfortable as the Civic. The space is almost as much too. The rear bench, however, isn't the best, but it is good nonetheless. The magic seats lend it practicality, but because of that, the seats don't give as good back support as say, an i20 does. It's still comfortable though, even over long distances. I'm not sure about the Etios, but I'm sure it's on par.

- Boot Space: The Jazz has the largest boot when compared to any hatch in the country. 350 liters may not sound much, when you compare it to the Etios sedan, but it's so well designed, that one can stuff 5 large suticases without a hiccup. In fact, we had shifted our week's worth of holiday luggage from our Civic into the jazz and found the Jazz to be more practical. largely because it makes use of that space in a better way.

- Prestige: This is a comparison between the Etios and the Jazz. And there are no prizes for guessing which commands more respect. The made in/for India Etios or the Honda Jazz.

- Resale: It should be pretty much, even stevens when it comes to resale. In fact, I'd reckon the Honda would hold its value better than the Toyota in India. Hondas are traditionally known for the resale value that they command.

- After-Sales-Service: Honda. Honda. Honda. There is a reason why we own two Hondas. It isn't just because we're Honda loyalists. In fact, we'd been converted into loyalists after our Civic purchase. The A.S.S. had us bowled over.

So there you have it. According to me, the best option would be the Jazz. And unless you really, really want a 500 liter sedan's boot, the Etios doesn't stand a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Etios. Better engine, boot space & rear bench space, better ground clearance, probably cheaper spares.
Better engine? Seriously? You're kidding right? I don't think there is a more frugal, more refined and better engineered motor out there, other than perhaps Suzuki's K series lump in the Ritz/Swift, which I believe, is on par with Honda's 1.2 iVtec unit.

Boot space, again, is factual. In terms of sheer volume, the Etios beats the Jazz, and that's because it's a sedan. Even so, the Jazz's boot has been extremely well designed and one can use the space effectively, unlike some sedans where much of the boot space is wasted.

The Jazz's rear bench too, in terms of space, is better than the Etios. The magic seats do come in the way, and the seats aren't as well contoured. But it's a sall price to pay for the practicality and utility it guarantees.

No arguments on ground clearance. The Jazz isn't a high car.

And about the spares, well, I don't think you would need to change too many parts in either cars, in the long run. But the Etios might have a slight edge over the Jazz. The difference in price would be negligible. It is a car, after all. How much more could it be.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 23:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Etios.

Etios Positives :
  • Very nice engine.
  • Built for India and is a sedan ( social value does step in )
  • As its built for India, mostly the spares will be cheaper
  • Good dynamics
  • Gives a feeling of simple-construction-can-take-abuse feeling of cars of earlier generation like 800 ( cost cutting ).
Etios Negatives :
All are listed on TBHP.

Jazz Positives :
  • New design and a hatch with good visibility
  • Quality of interiors
  • Niche hatchback status till date
Jazz Negatives :
  • Honda spare costs are on higher side
  • A small petrol which lacks grunt for city driving ( weak bottom end )
  • Dynamics
Both have a petrol engine, Etios is quicker, would have almost similar FE and has relatively better dynamics to match.
I have voted for Etios considering that comparison is of Jazz VS Etios Sedan ( and NOT Liva ).
Old 21st August 2011, 02:04   #24
BHPian

I don't think the Etios can take abuse like the other Toyotas. Apart from it's horrid exterior look and interiors (my personal opinion) I got the feeling that it is a poorly designed product engineered with only cost in mind.

In my opinion, the only thing to worry about in the Jazz is whether the rear bench comfort and legroom are satisfactory. The Jazz being a 3 box car, the boot is more than enough even for long distance trips.
Old 21st August 2011, 02:20   #25
BHPian

Honda Jazz - Hands down, with the price cut it is even more VFM. It also has a decently large boot for being a daily drive. Etios is a sedan built to a price, suffers from niggles and issues and overall somehow does not fall in place.
Old 21st August 2011, 04:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

With the launch of New Jazz with tempting price tag I would say no thought of Etios. I could see only the cost cutting in Etios rather than the quality of Toyota. Fit and Finish in Etios can never come close to Jazz.

Both being Japanese, mechanicals are always at par, the only difference I could see is the cosmetics along with the refinement.

My vote is for the all new Jazz.
Old 21st August 2011, 04:24   #27
BHPian

To me Jazz is the hot deal to go for petrol lovers looking for a hatchback if the choice is between Jazz & Etios. It is definitely more premium and has a built to last feel, one of the best suspensions around and has loads of space inside the cabin and the boot.

Yes, Etios also scores in the boot and space segment but then it feels and looks cheap inside and really is not a head turner either on the outside. And with the new mouth watering Jazz prices it does make a point for itself.
Old 21st August 2011, 07:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Jazz. Its a better quality product which feels premium. It was overpriced, but at the current levels, its very attractive.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Jazz Jazz Jazz! Its an international model sold even in the USA(with a bigger engine). You won't have the "built-to-price" feeling every time you sit in it.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks every one for your responses. It is an overwhelming vote in favour of the Jazz. What wonders a Rs 1.5 lakh price cut can do.

The wife has also come out in support of the Jazz. Since she will also be using the car, her opinion is very important. She refuses to get into the Etios due to the pathetic interiors . Moreover she does not want to keep answering the question " Could you not afford anything better?

That settles it then. The Jazz it will be. Time to find a buyer for the SX4. I will miss the "Kali Kaluti" especially the great ground clearance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed