Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is a better car for Rs 5.5 to Rs 6.6 Lacs ( ex Showroom)
Toyota Etios 10 4.07%
Honda Jazz 236 95.93%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Jazz or Toyota Etios

Folks,
With the recent price revision, the Jazz has become an attractive option for some. There are two major Japanes companies in India (excluding Nissan) i.e Honda and Toyota. Both command a lot of respect amongst the car buying public although both have chosen to tread diffent paths.

Toyota has introduced the "made for India" Etios & Liva . Honda on the other hand has understood that the Indian customer is no longer willing to pay the premium for its products has revised the prices of its City and Jazz.

Now I am in the market with a budget of approx 5.5 to 6.5 lacs.
My needs are:
a) Passenger space b) Good fuel efficiency c) Low maintenance costs d) Comfort e) Boot Space f) Prestige g) Resale h) After Sales Service.
Attributes are not necesarily in the priority as listed here.

What will be your choice?
a) The made for India Sedan Etios
b) The premium Hatch Jazz
Old 20th August 2011, 14:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Toyota Etios

Any day it is Jazz (Select or X variant). It is a hatch with a Sedan like feel!

Etios (petrol) launch would be one model that Toyota would like to forget!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th August 2011 at 14:30.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

With some of the owners reporting problems and i myself have seen the amount of cost cutting i would recommend to stay away from Etios and hence recommended Jazz. Toyota (Knowing Toyota obsession with quality) i would wait to buy Etios or Liva until Toyota figures out solution to some of the problems that are faced by owners. I am sure they can do it as their other products (Altis, Innova, and the Fortuner) have had much (if at all any) problems reported.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:17   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what mayank said.
There is no comparison between the two - Etios is an entry-level sedan and the Jazz is a premium hatch (some reviews even suggest it's better than the City). With the price of Jazz dropping steeply (yesterday's newspaper mentioned 1.5 Lakh lesser !) I think it's definitely in your budget, so just go for it.
Also, just read in another thread about Etios owners reporting problems like water leaking inside the cabin during rains so I'm sure you don't want a Toyota badge for the sake of brand name and suffer with that kind of car.
You may want to read this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search...rchid=11958014

Last edited by NPV : 20th August 2011 at 14:21.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Rajneesh, I own a Toyota Etios and despite my disliking to visible cost cutting I love the car. Got it in the first delivery lot in Jan 20111, done 5000+ kms including a 1000km hill drive. Done some water wading in the latest adventure sports destination 'Gurgaon'.

It returns 14kmpl regularly.

Between Jazz and Etios, well these r two distinct categories. If you want a sedan and can absolutely not compromise on that, go for Etios. If you travel with a lot of luggage again it is Etios for you.

If you want worldly comforts and style, go for Jazz.

Quick comparison

Etios G OTR Gurgaon is INR 6 Lakhs
Jazz Base OTR Gurgaon is also INR 6 Lakhs

You get a fully loaded car in Jazz with not even a single rupee to spend on accessories where as in Etios you would need a music system, mats, mud flaps etc etc.

Also there are airbags, ABS on Jazz which is not there on Etios G

The BHP rating of both is around 90, though Jazz is 1.2L engine while Etios is 1.5L.

To summarize, if you want a 'Sedan' got for Etios else Jazz anyday and everyday
Old 20th August 2011, 14:23   #6
BHPian

Jazz is the best bet you should go for.
Jaaz is exclusive and much more premium than Etios or Liva. Jazz is plush, airy and exclusive.

I suggest you should TD all three vehicles and I am sure after you are done with Jazz you will not longer needs anyone advice here.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Honda Jazz

Its pretty much a no brainer now, considering the world of difference in quality

Last edited by athul_S : 20th August 2011 at 14:43.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:52   #8
BHPian

Jazz it is! of the two products Jazz was earlier positioned in a super- premium hatch segment but with the recent price correction Jazz is now more affordable and is now positioned just under premium hatch segment without cutting down on any of the major features.

The built and interior quality of Jazz is way above Etios. One aspect that Etios will do well over Jazz is on performance. Jazz felt sluggish under 1500 RPM. This is something that you can live with if you consider Jazz as an overall package. Interior quality + Space + Flexi seating + practical in both city and on highway.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:18   #9
BHPian

An Absolute No-Brainer, now that Honda has woken up. Both cars are now VFM, but there is a mammoth chasm in terms of quality. The Jazz is too good for the Etios. The Honda laps the Toyota by a few thousand miles, and then some!
Old 20th August 2011, 15:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If you really need the trunk then go for the Etios. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to not buy the Jazz with the new pricing.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Honda on the other hand has understood that the Indian customer is no longer willing to pay the premium for its products has revised the prices of its City and Jazz.
It's not that customers are not willing to pay a premium for Honda. If you glean this forum, you'll find many Honda owners willing to get a Honda, specifically for it's reliability, engine and fuel efficiency. And for this, everyone who purchases a Honda is well aware they're paying a small premium, more than what other cars in the competing segment cost.

The customers have a problem when that premium exceeds an acceptable amount and when a cost becomes way too high for a car of a particular segment [in the case of Jazz, it's pricing was considered "way too costly" for a hatchback. Remember, at the same time, the i20 and Fabia were also costly, but not as much as the Jazz].

Honda, I suppose, has realized this now, probably made efforts to increase localization and the result is considerable decrease in prices. At these current prices, the Jazz, IMO, is a total value for money. For such a huge, functional and well built car, it also returns excellent fuel efficiency. What could be better? Honda needs to be commended for it and it also needs to learn to increase localisation to a high percentage right from the start, so that these price reduction tricks don't create a distaste in the mouths of existing customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
What will be your choice?
a) The made for India Sedan Etios
b) The premium Hatch Jazz
Without blinking an eye, the Jazz. The Etios' interior, IMO only, is a poor joke for a car [any owners needn't get offended, it's only my opinion]. This is again where Honda stands out. They ensure that we get "Quality". By initial looks and prying eyes, it's been noted that the localization hasn't led to poor quality of materials in the current Jazz.

Thumbs up to Honda *

* - I don't own a Honda car nor am I a Honda fanboy.

aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 20th August 2011 at 15:51. Reason: adding content.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:48   #12
BHPian

With the new pricing the Jazz leaves Etios far behind in the VFM stakes.

Etios simply reeks of cost-cutting every where. Its bare interiors and lack of features make it very clear that the car was built to meet a price point. It feels like a "cheap" car - the Toyota badge not withstanding.

The Jazz on the other hand feels upmarket and "premium". If I were looking for a car today, I would probably be looking at the Jazz & Swift and probably the Polo.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

No comparison. Jazz is a clear winner. Etios looked cheap even to start with, and now with whole host of problems, it is just not worth considering it.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why on earth has anyone opted for the Etios at all as the results show? Perhaps because it's a sedan or because of some affinity, but from a neutral's point of view I don't see how anyone could choose the Etios over the Jazz at a similar price point. The Jazz simply has more going for it in terms of features as everyone has pointed out and the car (Jazz) just looks so much better on the inside and out. This one is a no-brainer. At the old price point, the Etios made a lot of sense. As things stand, not quite.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:24   #15
BHPian

Etios. Better engine, boot space & rear bench space, better ground clearance, probably cheaper spares.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks