Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is a better car for Rs 5.5 to Rs 6.6 Lacs ( ex Showroom)
Toyota Etios 10 4.07%
Honda Jazz 236 95.93%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 09:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Toyota Etios

Jazz eyes closed.

Etios reeks of cost cutting in everything. The interior quality reminds me of the old maruti 800.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:58   #32
BHPian

Jazz!

However one caution, the middle seat of the rear bench is quite uncomfortable in Jazz because of the hard compound esp. over long drives. In case you are going to seat 5 please ensure you check this out.

We have one in the family and this is the only sore point (apart from the price which is now fixed.)
Old 21st August 2011, 10:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Better engine? Seriously? You're kidding right? I don't think there is a more frugal, more refined and better engineered motor out there, other than perhaps Suzuki's K series lump in the Ritz/Swift, which I believe, is on par with Honda's 1.2 iVtec unit.
It is good to be fan-boy, but at the same time one should not be blinded by it's ism :-). Below is what GTO's review says,
"Toyota has currently launched the Etios with a 1.5 L petrol, while the 1.4L turbo-diesel should be arriving sometime in 2011. This DOHC 16V 1,496 cc petrol engine is rated at 89 BHP (5,600 rpm) and 132 Nm of torque (3,000 rpm). The BHP / Liter output of 59.33 is pretty modest. Toyota has evidently tuned the engine for driveability & fuel-economy instead. Nevertheless, thanks to the Etios’ light weight, it enjoys the best power-to-weight ratio of the segment. The Etios also makes more torque than the Dzire & Manza, and at a substantially lower rpm.

The car settles into a very refined idle. Get moving and you’ll be left pleasantly surprised at the driveability on tap. Torque delivery from low rpms is phenomenal, easily the best in class."
Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Last edited by ajay0612 : 21st August 2011 at 10:11.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Jazz all the way. Jazz at the current prices is a real steal.
ajay, looks like you are the real fan boy here. GTO is comparing Etios to Manza and Dzire in its class. We are comparing Jazz and Etios in this thread.

Last edited by poloman : 21st August 2011 at 10:19.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Jazz all the way. Jazz at the current prices is a real steal.
ajay, looks like you are the real fan boy here. GTO is comparing Etios to Manza and Dzire in its class. We are comparing Jazz and Etios in this thread.
Oh. I hoped the fan-boys to be aware of data of their own cars.
Jazz's engine - 1.2L, torque rating of 110NM @ 4,800 rpm, 89 BHP.
Etios engine - 1.5L, torque rating of 132 NM @ 3,000 rpm, 89 BHP. Higher torque at lower RPM = good drive ability and lugging ability.

Engine is a car's heart and thus one of the fundamental/ most important parameter of selecting a vehicle.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 11:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612
Etios engine - 1.5L, torque rating of 132 NM @ 3,000 rpm, 89 BHP. Higher torque at lower RPM = good drive ability and lugging ability.

Engine is a car's heart and thus one of the fundamental/ most important parameter of selecting a vehicle.
You are spot on. There can be no argument when hard data is placed on the table.

Many members have pointed out the Jazz's lack of bottom-end grunt. That said, the Jazz scores over the Etios on overall quality. A few horror stories have begun popping up from Etios owners here and elsewhere.
Old 21st August 2011, 11:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post

Man, you are the only one who is behaving as a fan-boy here.

The Etios' engine has better bottom end - who is arguing with that?
In fact, all Honda engines have weak bottom end. But that alone does not make them bad as there are other parameters to look for as well. (If bottom end is the only criterion, then the Etios 89HP engine can be considered even better than the 1.5 IVTEC of the ANHC with 116 HP). The Jazz engine is more refined, more frugal and also more rev-happy. Look at the ownership threads of the respective cars and you will understand that the Jazz gives excellent FE whereas many of the Etios owners are complaining of poor FE.

I am not gonna compare the quality of the cars as they are poles apart.
And on top of that, the Etios doesn't look like having the robustness and reliability of a Toyota as there are issues cropping up within the first few months of its release.

Now, with the price cut, Jazz top end with better features is available at much less price than the Etios VX which makes the choice a real no-brainer.

No wonder, the poll results are so highly skewed.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 12:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Man, you are the only one who is behaving as a fan-boy here.

The Etios' engine has better bottom end - who is arguing with that?
In fact, all Honda engines have weak bottom end. But that alone does not make them bad as there are other parameters to look for as well. (If bottom end is the only criterion, then the Etios 89HP engine can be considered even better than the 1.5 IVTEC of the ANHC with 116 HP). The Jazz engine is more refined, more frugal and also more rev-happy. Look at the ownership threads of the respective cars and you will understand that the Jazz gives excellent FE whereas many of the Etios owners are complaining of poor FE.

I am not gonna compare the quality of the cars as they are poles apart.
And on top of that, the Etios doesn't look like having the robustness and reliability of a Toyota as there are issues cropping up within the first few months of its release.

Now, with the price cut, Jazz top end with better features is available at much less price than the Etios VX which makes the choice a real no-brainer.
+1 to that Adi. I could not have put it better.

This topic could not have come at a more better time !! I have been considering these two vehicles and took a fairly long TD of Etios. I have TDed Honda Jazz at multiple places.
Am in the process of confirming Jazz X version.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:39   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
It is good to be fan-boy, but at the same time one should not be blinded by it's ism :-). Below is what GTO's review says,
"Toyota has currently launched the Etios with a 1.5 L petrol, while the 1.4L turbo-diesel should be arriving sometime in 2011. This DOHC 16V 1,496 cc petrol engine is rated at 89 BHP (5,600 rpm) and 132 Nm of torque (3,000 rpm). The BHP / Liter output of 59.33 is pretty modest. Toyota has evidently tuned the engine for driveability & fuel-economy instead. Nevertheless, thanks to the Etios’ light weight, it enjoys the best power-to-weight ratio of the segment. The Etios also makes more torque than the Dzire & Manza, and at a substantially lower rpm.

The car settles into a very refined idle. Get moving and you’ll be left pleasantly surprised at the driveability on tap. Torque delivery from low rpms is phenomenal, easily the best in class."
Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
I'm going to be very honest with you here.

Honda's 1.2 lump, manages to churn out 90 horses, but it does take some revving to get it to put those horses down.

Toyota's 1.5, despite being larger, still manages to make just 89 horses. Agreed, the bottom end is far better than the Jazz, thus making it an easier car to drive in stop-start traffic. But the Jazz is quite an easy car to drive too.

The two engines are good, but there is no doubt which is better when it comes to reliability, refinement and delivering economy. As I have mentioned before, the Jazz gives astonishing FE figures on a regular basis.

I believe that it's only the initial performance of the Toyota's engine that gives it the edge over the Jazz. On other counts, the Jazz's is far, far better. Heck, it's so refined, you tend to turn the key and start it up, even though it's actually already idling! At low speeds, it almost sounds and feels like an electric car.

The Etios, IMO, is nothing but a glorified Logan. It looks uninspiring, the quality is a huge let-down, and there is almost nothing appealing about it at all. It's an apology for a Toyota.

It's plain and simple. When you buy a car, you not only drive it, you live with it for a certain period of time. Would you like to live with a car that is so low on quality and appeal? I don't see a single plus point that the Etios has over the Jazz, apart from the availability of a diesel engine, (is it available yet?).

The Jazz, in many ways, is the more practical car too. It gives you the space of a sedan, neatly packaged in a hatchback, making it easier for you to drive it in city traffic. The boot is enormous and allows you to fold the rear seats too, that further improves its practicality factor. What's more, the Jazz offers safety features across all its variants, where as Toyota thinks that safety is an option and is reserved only for those who want to spend more.

Like you said, it's one thing being a fan boy. But when you've got hard facts, after a thorough comparison, you don't need to be a 'fan-boy' to advocate a car like the Jazz, especially at the price that it is offered at now.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st August 2011 at 12:49.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 13:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Completely agree with Adi and Suhaas here.

Etios - "Let me buy an entry level sedan for the boot and the initial pick-up, and live with some compromises thereafter."

ANHJ - "Let me buy a premium hatchback which offers sedan-like space and is basically a complete package, without compromising on anything."

Jazz is tremendous VFM at the moment, IMO. Miles ahead of the Etios.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 13:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

If you want a sedan where there is evidence of cost cutting at every stage, get the Etios, else with the current price correction it is Jazz all the way.

If you really want Etios, wait till all the niggles are ironed out, say six months and then see if it lives upto the Toyota name.
Old 21st August 2011, 13:26   #42
BHPian

Unless you're willing to sacrifice quality, equipment, NVH, and any and all 'feel-good' factor, just for the sedan look, go for the new Jazz. It has more than enough bootspace, better looks, better equipment, and a much more refined and efficient engine.
Old 21st August 2011, 13:47   #43
BHPian

Its the Jazz for me, hands down.

Never liked the way Etios/Liva are built. The overall design is dated and compromised to fit a price point. Toyota are known for ugly looking cars but with these two they have hit a new bottom IMO.
Old 21st August 2011, 14:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Etios - "Let me buy an entry level sedan for the boot and the initial pick-up, and live with some compromises thereafter."

ANHJ - "Let me buy a premium hatchback which offers sedan-like space and is basically a complete package, without compromising on anything."

Jazz is tremendous VFM at the moment, IMO. Miles ahead of the Etios.
Hmm. Another thing to consider is the terrain where the vehicle will be usually be driven. My choice (Etios) was dictated by that (i.e. mostly I drive on Hilly terrain). For driving on relatively plain city roads/ highways, Honda jazz is perfect VFM. In fact it is the best right now.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 15:18   #45
BHPian

Here is an Etios owner voting for Jazz. Call me a traitor if you want, but Toyota Etios has lot of quality issues which you won't notice in test drives.
Upgrade is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks