Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 20:12   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Temporary Car options

1. He's your brother. Lend him your i10 whenever he needs it

2. You'll be surprised at how cheap air-conditioned cabs are, relative to car ownership (which includes depreciation, fuel, taxes, insurance, maintenance and more). He can hire a cab when your i10 isn't available.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Temporary Car options (for only 30 - 40 days of use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
My brother is coming to India on vacation and would require a car for 30-40 days to travel around. What are the best options.

Some of the things i have is,

1. Buy a second hand car and sell it after using it.
2. Hire a self-drive car, would be very expensive.

Any other options.
Suggestions/Comments please.

Mods, Please merge if any thread exists already.
You have to compare the price difference in both the options.
But if he keeps the driving part aside, he can actually book a good rental car for his tenure of 30-40 days.

I am sure he will not travel on each of his 30-40 day holiday.
Approximately he might shell out 1K maxx per day if he takes a rental car within city.

So even if he travels for 20 days, he will end up shelling 20K, will travel comfortably without drivng stress, and will also have no hassles of buying and selling a 2nd hand car.

You have not specified the type and Brand and model of car since thats a big factor here.

That will also give you an idea about depreciation factor.

I would go for option two ( not the self drive one, but a chaffeur driven )
Old 26th August 2011, 21:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Why don't you just hand him the keys to your car (Your signature says you own an i10) over to him for 40 days? You can go to work by the two awesome bikes (CBR250 and Yezdi rastaraja) you own or any dial-a-cab thingy. I'm sure you can also hitch a ride with your colleagues.
That was the first option i gave him. But he is insisting on getting one spare for him. I have almost forgot that i have a car now a days. Happily munching miles on my new CBR. In fact we do have plans of going out together with family, then we would require couple of cars.
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend who visited Chennai last year was able to directly deal with a local driver and reserve his car (Indigo CS) for approximately 32K (all inclusive) for 30 days. The driver works for a travel agency who is in call center cab business and was giving his car as a daily/contract mode for the cab company. For those 30 days, he skipped the night cab work and was full time with my friend. Their deal was some 300 - 400 Rs per day fixed for 30 days and then a per KM rate for the usage. Will try to get exact details. His trips were mostly in town.

Try talking to some local drivers or part time drivers, they may be able to get a car for a comparatively lesser cost, but just make sure all the car papers are correct before taking their services.

The rent a car business in Kerala mentioned in earlier posts give private registration cars, not yellow plates.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:44   #20
BHPian

In Chennai I know a guy who rents out his second car for this kind of purposes. Charges around 30 or 35k for a month I think.

If you are dealing with good/understanding/no fuss guys, then these kind of deals might be better. It saves you the pain of booking & waiting for a cab everyday or trying to sell a 1 or 2 months used car.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
In Chennai I know a guy who rents out his second car for this kind of purposes. Charges around 30 or 35k for a month I think.

If you are dealing with good/understanding/no fuss guys, then these kind of deals might be better. It saves you the pain of booking & waiting for a cab everyday or trying to sell a 1 or 2 months used car.
Hey! Could you PM me the details of this guy?

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:53   #22
BHPian

Have you tried this? I was looking at them for my recent trip to Ladakh. But ruled them out as I had to pick the car from Delhi and drop it back at Delhi which was not feasible for me.

Self Drive Car Rental India, Self Drive Car for Hire, Self Drive Car Hire, Hire Car

Edit - Another one - Avis http://www.avis.co.in/products_&_sevices.html

Last edited by gods-envy : 2nd September 2011 at 16:55.
gods-envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:16   #23
BHPian

what is your budget? and how much are you ready to damage your pocket? I suggest speak to company pre-owned dealers and check the price buy-sell. They may be more expensive but you will have peace of mind as they come with 1year guarantee. In your 40days trip I am sure you don't want your car sitting in a workshop.

Buy cars which are around 4 years old, the depreciation per year loss is highest till this point. Make sure you are buying pre-owned cars which are in demand and easier to sell. Honda city or Corolla Altis or Maruti SX4 or Hyundai Santro.. check the market pulse before you put in your money.
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot to all of you for your inputs.
We have decided not to buy it but rent it. Worst scenario, he is ready to use my car.
Will keep you guys posted once i finalize something on this, so that it would help others in the forum.
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

My good friend who'd sold his Swift before going to the UK had to come back suddenly and is currently awaiting his next overseas assignment. I have lent him my Swift without any monetary consideration inolved, except that he should take care of the routine maintenance and some minor scratches, paintwork etc that had been long pending.

So far it's worked well:he took care of the 60K service, repaired an ugly bruise on the rear bumper, took care of some scratches on the side, gave it a full body wax treatment etc. He may also consider changing the clutch and sprucing up the suspension at his expense if he continues using it longer (been a couple of months now).

Of course, I wouldn't give just anybody my car- the implicit condition is that he drive it himself- hes an excellent driver and a T-BHPian to boot, so it works well for us!
Old 4th September 2011, 13:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Rent a private self driven car. My friend recently came from the middle east for 40 days, and rented a Brand New Alto for just 19,000 . Considering the hassles of buying and selling the car, 19,000 is cheap.

I think you can get the Innova for 30k/month.

The only catch is that, you have to keep your original license with the owner, and give him a cheque.
Isn't this illegal? Using a private vehicle for commercial use? And in case of an accident, the insurance companies will probably just bring this point out.
Old 4th September 2011, 14:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Isn't this illegal? Using a private vehicle for commercial use? And in case of an accident, the insurance companies will probably just bring this point out.
Not till it is proven so. Till the point of the money changing hands is proven, the rest of the things fall well within an ordinary vehicle insurance policy. People are exploiting the fact that the money transactions cannot be proven, since they will mostly be done in cash.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:59   #28
BHPian

Illegal is illegal - whether there is a trail or not. Isn't this against what this community stands for?
Old 5th September 2011, 15:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think the aim of this community is to discuss and share information on automobiles and related fields.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
My brother is coming to India on vacation and would require a car for 30-40 days to travel around. What are the best options.

Some of the things i have is,

1. Buy a second hand car and sell it after using it.
2. Hire a self-drive car, would be very expensive.

Any other options.
Suggestions/Comments please.

Mods, Please merge if any thread exists already.
Why dont you consider options like Avis Self Drive Car Rental on a Weekly Rate basis for 40 Days. It should work out somewhere around 70-80K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks