Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 17:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Temporary Car Options (for only 30 - 40 days of use)

My brother is coming to India on vacation and would require a car for 30-40 days to travel around. What are the best options.

Some of the things i have is,

1. Buy a second hand car and sell it after using it.
2. Hire a self-drive car, would be very expensive.

Any other options.
Suggestions/Comments please.

Mods, Please merge if any thread exists already.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:20   #2

Re: Temporary Car options

I remember when i was younger, when my family had to visit India we would always buy some second hand car and have my relatives sell it after we left. Now, however, living in this country I have realized that my relatives really hated the fact that we would just leave the car in their hands, and they had a hard time selling it afterward because they really wanted to get as close to the original value, what really isn't possible because of an additional owner to the vehicle.

If you aren't going to be traveling out town that much consider the dial a cab service. They are pretty reliable, nice cards, and most of the time pretty decent drivers. They charge around 10 INR to 15 INR per KM with some type of minium KM charged. Just check some various threads or online for the numbers that pertain to your area of residence.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:51   #3
BHPian

It would be a pain for you to sell a car with an additional owner for just a month. Another than dial-a-cab route, i suggest you to try your luck with the second hand car dealers, who have few cars which would have been lying around for a while. They ought to give the car to you for few days for some cash, just to makeup some cash from a car that is not earning him anything and just eating up space!
Old 25th August 2011, 18:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
It would be a pain for you to sell a car with an additional owner for just a month. Another than dial-a-cab route, i suggest you to try your luck with the second hand car dealers, who have few cars which would have been lying around for a while. They ought to give the car to you for few days for some cash, just to makeup some cash from a car that is not earning him anything and just eating up space!
That car's probably been lying around there unsold for a reason right? What will one do if they buy this car and the next week it refuses to move! Not only would you have to get it repaired and then deal with the hassle of selling it! And why would the dealer buy back the car which never sold anyway, now with an additional owner on the book.

Cabs, though expensive, would be the way to go.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post

1. Buy a second hand car and sell it after using it.
2. Hire a self-drive car, would be very expensive.
Hire a cab on a daily basis for 12 hrs a day
OR
Hail a auto or taxi as and when required

Both are hassle free options ; when bro is here only for 4-6weeks,let him be at ease
Old 25th August 2011, 18:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks all of you for the quick replies.
Plan is to use it inside city and outside city also. And also some late night dinners, etc.
So hiring a cab does not work out. They would charge more during late night dinners, etc.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

We face the same problem every year.

Every summer we visit Chennai for at least 2 months and its a pain in the neck relying on cabs for the whole trip. Other than that, we feel like we have complete lack of freedom to travel as and when we want. Every trip needs to be planned in advance so the taxi can be booked and then several times they call just before we have to leave saying all cars are occupied. Even small things like going out for dinner needs to be planned in advance - you can't make any spontaneous trips. It kills the whole spirit of the trip.

Also, renting a car for the whole day (for more than two months every year) is simply too expensive. As we're a family of four taking auto is pretty much ruled out.

We've tried borrowing friends and family's cars but it's a headache driving another persons car as both parties are worried it'll get damaged/ruined. Also very few are willing to leave their cars for more than a few days (I don't blame them, I wouldn't like anyone driving my car).

We explored renting a car (self drive) and the costs from the reputed companies were expensive (read ~90k for 45 days). Ironically it's more expensive than with a driver.

This year we used the local buses several times and to be honest it was more convenient than relying on cabs. Especially those sexy AC Volvos (you have plenty in Bangalore).

For next year we've decided to purchase a car for use every time we're there. Selling the car within our trip will be difficult, so we're just going to buy one and use it over the next 2-3 Summers. We'll park it at my grandmothers house during the rest of the year. Expensive but it'll be the most convenient.

Last edited by anekho : 25th August 2011 at 18:38.
Old 25th August 2011, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Buying and keeping the car at someplace which is reliable and someone can occasionally drive it would be the best option.

The other way to do this is ask yourself the question "Do we need a car every day for next 45 days?" if the answer is yes then the option listed above will work out to be cheaper otherwise rent a car whenever you need would be cheaper. Usually per day comes to 2k-3k depending on size and features.

If you decide to buy a car and keep it, all it would need it 2-3 times a week starting it and driving it for maybe 5-10 Kms and it would be fine when you come back again.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
So hiring a cab does not work out.
Rent a private self driven car. My friend recently came from the middle east for 40 days, and rented a Brand New Alto for just 19,000 . Considering the hassles of buying and selling the car, 19,000 is cheap.

I think you can get the Innova for 30k/month.

The only catch is that, you have to keep your original license with the owner, and give him a cheque.

EDIT:
This is the rate in Wayanad, Calicut, and I guess Thrissur, Cochin too

Last edited by dhanushs : 25th August 2011 at 20:20.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 20:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Rent a private self driven car. My friend recently came from the middle east for 40 days, and rented a Brand New Alto for just 19,000 . Considering the hassles of buying and selling the car, 19,000 is cheap.

The only catch is that, you have to keep your original license with the owner, and give him a cheque.

EDIT:
This looks tempting but i do not know if they are the same rate in bangalore first and secondly if it is available.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:

EDIT:
+1. Very common in Kerala. But I am yet to find/hear of any private lender in Bangalore. I would be interested to know if if there is any option like that here in Bangalore.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

EDIT:
Sounds like a sweet deal! Couldn't find any such private cars in Chennai though. There was one guy who was renting his M800 at 30k a month and wanted to keep my original passport!!
Old 26th August 2011, 10:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check our Car Club.
Car Club In India-Car Rental Company In India,Rent a Car,Rent a Car in India,Car Rentals in India,Limousine Car Hire,Indian Coaches,Indian Cars,Delhi Car Rental Company in India, Airport Car Rental Services

They offer self drive cars on monthly basis, you might be able strike a good deal with them.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 17:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
That car's probably been lying around there unsold for a reason right? What will one do if they buy this car and the next week it refuses to move! Not only would you have to get it repaired and then deal with the hassle of selling it! And why would the dealer buy back the car which never sold anyway, now with an additional owner on the book.
You got me wrong..

I meant that he can rent the unsold car from the dealer. Like this there is no hassle of trying to find a good car. If this car breaks down, he can always ask the dealer to get him another one.

The only loss for dealer is the car will be absent for the roll-call each morning when potential customer walk-in. But he is making some money out of it anyway.

Last edited by mac187 : 26th August 2011 at 17:10.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 17:30   #15
BHPian

Why don't you just hand him the keys to your car (Your signature says you own an i10) over to him for 40 days? You can go to work by the two awesome bikes (CBR250 and Yezdi rastaraja) you own or any dial-a-cab thingy. I'm sure you can also hitch a ride with your colleagues.

Buying a used car and then reselling it will not only cost you a bomb, but imagine the time that you'll have to invest in hunting a good one.

And renting a selfdriven car option will cost 1000 bucks a day, minimum, and that is equal to 60-80 kms a day via rented cars (66kms for Meru/Easycab and 80 kms for AC Indica). That way, not only your brother saves up his energy or travel comfortably, he'll be chauffered like a king without even worrying about the legen....wait for it...dary Bangalore traffic.

Think about it.

Last edited by creative420 : 26th August 2011 at 17:32. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks