Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2006, 11:09   #1
BHPian

Trip to Leh

hi guys!

planning a trip up north to leh this summer. if ny of u have been to that part of the country pls share ur experiences. also i m keen on buying a mid segment car (since my wife doesn't like a SUV) which 1 do u think will b the best vehicle to reach there. also pls mention when and by which vehicle u went there.

cheers
Old 28th February 2006, 11:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to drive up there this summer too - looks like a lot of people have the same idea!

Hopefully Nitin should be able to come along, making it two southern Dicors for the trip.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Take a SuV. Do not go by car. Its very very dusty, and clogged air filters are a norm. My cousin went by Toyota surf and he says though there are no stretches requiring FWD, suspension takes a lot of pounding and so do the rims. You need a sturdy car. If you are bent upon a car, tata sedans fit the bill. We have used a tata indica/go for going to our farm. Other cars which went there(Santro, Astra etc.,) were rattling after a couple of trips(5kms of very bad road). But the tata's have held their own after 50+ trips. Indigo's done that 50+ times in less than a year and suspension is still going strong.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If you are bent upon a car, tata sedans fit the bill. We have used a tata indica/go for going to our farm. Other cars which went there(Santro, Astra etc.,) were rattling after a couple of trips(5kms of very bad road). But the tata's have held their own after 50+ trips. Indigo's done that 50+ times in less than a year and suspension is still going strong.
LOL! Arent these the cars with pathetic build quality that are supposed to fall apart after a few trips? I'd like to see 'European Build Quality' do these roads - I know my Mondeo squeaks, rattles and cries for good roads everytime we hit half-bad stretches.

Then I'd like to see the cost of repairing those cars.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th February 2006 at 11:29.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Actually we were not worried about "non problematic rattles" like plastics and all. Wanted a car that would survive.
1. 1999 Tata indica. Lots of electrical problems, shockers lasted till 77000kms(Done in 3 years). Sold the car
2. 2002 Indica. Shockers lasted till 60000kms. Then the car met with an accident where It hit a bridge railing at 80kmph, spun around and got hit on the back by a military truck. Had to change lots of things, total damage 1.5Lac 1.2L paid by insurance, sold the car soon after(2004)
3. 2004 March indigo(Non intercooled). done around 35000+ kms till now. Suspension still holding on. No extra repairs needed(Electricals holding on fine).

these three cars were driven in extremely harsh conditions. Rutted roads. Bent rims are a testimony to the torture, but suspension is still going strong

4. 2002 Tata Indica(the one with me).
Done 60000 kms. Only electrical and AC problems. Suspension feels like new. Clutch feels like new even with bangalore and delhi city traffic. Only the gears have been going hard.(bushkit/adjustment problem). After the accident(around 47000kms), just some engine and radiater and body work got done. Suspension was untouched.

So based on these 4 cars I have come to the conclusion, if you want to bodily abuse a car, the tata is the best. Live with the electrical problems and minor plastic rattles and its a perfect car.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Buy a Gypsy. Get regular (OE) tyres. Regular air filters...

Uncomfortable but dependable all the way.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Uncomfortable but dependable all the way.
I agree. Uncomfortable is quiet an understatement. Actually its a two seater. With the rest of the passengers having the status of farm cattle in a dump truck.
Old 28th February 2006, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naveen,

I have done the trip from Leh to Manali in a Gypsy King....Dude, believe me, u dont want to go there in a car. There were times we had to engage 4L...so you can imagine what kind of terrain you will encounter.

Also, you mentioned in your post that you are planning to buy a car and drive to Leh this summer. No offence bro, but do you not love cars!!!!. A trip to Leh in a new car and you would be reducing its life considerably, esp the clutch and the suspenseion.

Also, carry a spare set of filters and hoses and if possible, avoid taking a diesel there since te air is rarified, and diesels struggle for air. (Dunno how a crdi would persorm though)

If you are hell bent on a car specifically for this trip, take a look at the fialt adventure.

Else, take a tata marina (pref. petrol).

Cheers
Old 28th February 2006, 11:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Turbo diesels wont face that much problem as NA one.
Old 28th February 2006, 12:07   #10
BHPian

thanx for ur answers.

Himanshu Goswami: bro i do love the cars just that i m more inclined towards a SUV whereas my wife likes a proper car. plus she will have 2 drive to work everyday in that, guess its better i go by what she likes.

what do people say for a baleno, it wud b no more than 3 people on board with some luggage? also i wud not b goin thru manali but thru jammu, srinagar, kargil.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 28th February 2006 at 12:14. Reason: additional info
Old 28th February 2006, 12:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what do people say for a baleno, it wud b no more than 3 people on board with some luggage
The baleno is a brilliant car in most respects but the trip may just leave scars on it.

If u take the baleno, fit all terrain tyres on it like the ones in the adventure, and they should be tubeless.

also, carry a tubeless tyre repair kit since u wont find anyone capable of fixing the punctures in tubeless tyres there.

Also, if this is your first time to Leh, make sure that u drive in short streches and drink plenty of water to avoid mountain sickness. believe me this is a very real possibility.
I have traversed a hige tract of the laddakh plateau on a bike as well as in the gypsy, and everytime we experienced altitude sickness.

You are most welcome to get in touch with me before u leave for ur trip and I will try and give u some pointers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2017 at 10:21. Reason: Removing contact details as per discussion.
Old 28th February 2006, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
Himanshu Goswami: bro i do love the cars just that i m more inclined towards a SUV whereas my wife likes a proper car. plus she will have 2 drive to work everyday in that, guess its better i go by what she likes.
Well, rest assured, your wife won't be able to drive the same car that you take to leh.. So in anycase, you are better off taking a Gypsy King or an MM560 along with you, depending on the petrol or diesel choice. If only for this ride.
Old 28th February 2006, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
LOL! Arent these the cars with pathetic build quality that are supposed to fall apart after a few trips? I'd like to see 'European Build Quality' do these roads - I know my Mondeo squeaks, rattles and cries for good roads everytime we hit half-bad stretches.

Then I'd like to see the cost of repairing those cars.
Steer,

May be (by ref. 'European Build Quality') the concerned parties were talking about European roads...

Some pun is intended...

[seriously] IMO, a Safari 4*4 would be the best choice - for its effortless power steering, IC turbo diesel's torque, space and comfort. Niether Gypsy King not MM540 can have such a combination of fators, unless these vehicles are heavily modded.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th February 2006 at 13:23.
Old 28th February 2006, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey..if cars is what u are lookin for such a trip..go for small cars like maruti 800,alto,zen,wagon r...preferably the 800 nd the alto..as they have simple suspension systems along with an mpfi engine...so adequate power..nd even the road side mechanic will repair anythin in the car except the MPFI related problems like gumming of injectors..but that usually wont happen..get a good quality fuel filter..nd u wont see any problems commin in ur trip...get some air filters nd hoses as standby...
Old 28th February 2006, 14:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Actually the Safari is a good choice. The frequent taxi brands there are Sumos and Qualis - and Bolero campers!
Roadside mechanics ? There are usaully no sides or mechanics - just roads

BUT - if u can, take a bike. Nothing beats a bike in the mountains. Esp when there's a landslide and the only road left is a narrow half-track. Good knobbies, a tent, and you're all set.

The Srinagar - Leh road should have better roads than the Manali-Leh or Shimla-Kaza-Leh (thats something) routes.

Last edited by zenx : 28th February 2006 at 14:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks