Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 13:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Budget used car as Palio upgrade: Petra or Corsa

Your Palio which has clocked only 42K would be fine in all except the power of the 1.2 which you have mentioned. And Corsas are a costly piece to maintain. So look for Lancer or Optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Baah, for 1.5 lakhs, there are only three used sedans I would recommend. Optra : You might have to stretch to 2 lakhs for a good example. Another example of a reliable all-rounder that suffers from poor resale. I've seen well maintained 5 - 6 year old Optras trading hands for ~2 lakh rupees.
That is interesting. I am attracted towards an used Optra in that range. How could be the maintenance cost and availability of spares. I have started to search around. Thanks

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th December 2011 at 14:02.
Old 9th December 2011, 22:35   #17
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for making me re-look and appreciate the positives of the Palio I have. Indeed, I don't wish to push my luck and am not willing to push the budget up; so that excludes few of the options mentioned (in TN). I guess I will ride the wave and wait till the itch goes away, or till the budget can be tweaked further.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering why no one has suggested any performance mods to bump up the power of the existing car. Palio cannot be tweaked?

For the luggage, will a carrier on the roof help?
Old 13th December 2011, 20:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am wondering why no one has suggested any performance mods to bump up the power of the existing car. Palio cannot be tweaked?

For the luggage, will a carrier on the roof help?
Thanks; I shall look up the modifying related pages but am not sure what I can acheive in my tier 3 city. Will modifications need specific maintenance not offered by the trusted roadside mechanic? And there is the ? myth of all modifications lead to reduced mileage too.

The carrier on the roof should suffice when needed, but I guess it will add to the load on an underpowered car esp with AC on.
Old 19th December 2011, 07:11   #20
BHPian

Plan is now to try and modify the existing Palio by considering a performance filter ad perhaps FFE. Has anyone tried Torque7 on a pre-NV Palio 1.2? Suggestions welcome especially if you have tried any of the above on a Palio 1.2
Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

A 2003 palio which has done only 42K is good. A used sedan at 1.5L will be really asking for trouble, unless ofcourse you know the owner of the car.
My suggestion would be just keep the palio, and don't attempt any mods on it - as I don't know how good Fiat Service is at Vellore.
Having owned a palio and still in love with it- it requires a lot of care and attention. My suggestion would be get a through servicing done- flush and clean the engine and radiator and also get the belts checked. Also, de-carb the engine/ exhaust - and look at stock filter replacement only whenit comes to mods for the moment.
Old 19th December 2011, 22:23   #22
BHPian

Thanks Madan80. What extra service would be required if filter & FFE are done? Presently I have a trustworthy local mechanic who does whatever is required. I guess mods will need to be done by someone who has done it before and familiar with it.

The reason I am considering it is that I would get some extra % pickup perhaps, to counter the drop that happens with the AC on. Some recent reading tells me that pickup improves only after 50 kmph, and not in the lower range, which I where I feel the need in city driving.

The discussion now does not match with the title of the thread... mods pls shift if required. Or can I change the subject/thread title?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks