Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 14:45   #31
Zed
BHPian

Re: An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?

Some pics. Sorry bout the not so great lighting. Its been dull and grey the past few days though today is a bright and sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails
An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-a4.jpg  

An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-a4_2.jpg  

An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-a4_3.jpg  

Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 18:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Have to apologize for the fact that the final spec sheet is in Deutsch.
Not a problem for you AK - since im sure your german is better than mine, Ich denke.
Thanks!! Of course, not an issue if its in German. Nice buy, congrats. Happy miles. By the way is your the quattro? why is got the "Sperrdifferetial"? or Do even the front wheel drive Audi's come with Limited Slip Diff's?

Looks great in white, I have never or rarely seen one in white. I always liked the monolithic grey or that brass sort of colour that all the German manufacturers offer. But never knew, white could look so good.

So how is the adaptive lighting? Did you do some night driving? can you post some/any videos of it working? I guess you can try this out in your company parking lot easily.

Noted it just now, Alloys are looking great! 16.5" rims? I am seeing this for the first time!

PS: Other members: Sperrdifferential -> Limited Slip Differential

OT: Saw your PM now, thanks. Thats nice of Audi to give LSD as standard across all cars. How much is the price difference between a Quattro and this? I believe a quattro will loose out a bit on the emission class to correct?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 20th July 2012 at 18:32.
Old 20th July 2012, 18:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics. Sorry bout the not so great lighting. Its been dull and grey the past few days though today is a bright and sunny day.
Congratulations!! Those rims look killer. Is it a manual?
Old 20th July 2012, 18:57   #34
Zed
BHPian

Thanks AK - All front wheel drive A4s sold these days feature LSD's. Ive never really considered white cars in the past but somehow find the current crop of Audi's really appealing in white. The alloys are 19"..im a fan of chrome-free, non-shiny alloys.

Adaptive lighting is one of those addictive features that you dont feel like letting go of once you've experienced it. My older wagon had it too. The cornering lights function can be a real life saver in city driving \ parking. The whole terminator-esque song and dance routine by the lights each time I fire up (in low light conditions) is a pretty cool sight from within and outside the car.
Old 20th July 2012, 18:59   #35
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations!! Those rims look killer. Is it a manual?

Thanks Anshuman. Yup have switch to a manual after an 18 month affair with a DSG. Not that I was dissatisfied, just wanted some exercise for the ol' left foot.
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:47   #36
Zed
BHPian

Today is my last day with the A4 (2 ltr diesel). Ive enjoyed an almost flawless ownership experience since registering the car in Mid 2012 and clocking 90k kms since. The only niggles that come to mind are (a) frequent incorrect error mesages from the TMPS (b) Windsreen washer liquid requiring frequent top ups

Its at proper Autobahn speeds that the car really comes alive. Although the 3 Series is the segment benchmark for handling and performance I didnt really feel the need for better roadgrip, (steering)control or braking for my driving style. The only real downsides - limited boot space and rear seat comfort. Both generic issue for this category of sedan. Which is pretty much why I am moving to a slower but siginifcantly more spacious SUV.

I wanted to pen a slightly more comprehansive ownership review with photographs but, unfortunately, couldnt find the time. In my defense I have two boys - 2.5 yrs and 3 months respectively so I guess ive earned my right to say that time is my enemy
In summary : A fantastic car for signles or couples without offspring. And Ive been given to understand that the 2016 version is even better.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:20   #37
mxh
BHPian

Re: An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car ??

Quote:
Im an Aston - Jag kinda guy. A Jag in the company car park is probably the best way to attract the wrath of of senior brass (and HR!). This isnt really part of my career plan
Ok, but life is too short to worry about what others think of your car. Do you really want to buy something else just to appease your bosses. Just buy the car you have your heart set on, every time you drive it you'll be happy and nothing else will matter. Even if some people are not pleased it is not going to last long.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 00:13   #38
Zed
BHPian

Re: An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Ok, but life is too short to worry about what others think of your car. Do you really want to buy something else just to appease your bosses. Just buy the car you have your heart set on, every time you drive it you'll be happy and nothing else will matter. Even if some people are not pleased it is not going to last long.
The post that youve replied to was from 2012 - when I was mulling over what car to buy. And my last post (earlier today) revided this old thread to bring it to its last chapter as I am letting go of the car I finally chose in 2012.

I guess you missed the part where I mentioned company car
Well if one decides to join the corporate rat race, then one ought to play by the rules. That said the A4 was part of my final short list so wasnt really a compromise.
Old 1st November 2016, 23:54   #39
BHPian

Buying a Reliable Used Car in Germany

Hi Guys,

I am in the market to buy a used car in Germany. I would like to spend up to 12,000 Euros for this car. I want a car that is very comfortable, has some power to it, and is low on maintenance.

I have searched through on various websites like autoscout24.de and mobile.de, and there are a lot of BMWs, VWs, and Audis available, but I don't know what model in particular to look into. German cars have a bad reputation around here and are said to be unreliable.

Should I be looking into Japanese options? Should I increase my budget? What should I consider before taking the plunge?
Old 2nd November 2016, 03:53   #40
Zed
BHPian

Re: Buying a Reliable Used Car in Germany

I have absolutely no experince in buying a second hand car in Germany. So all of the information I am providing is based on what Ive heard. To begin with its hard to asses your requirment without knowing..

a) Usage - city / b-roads / A-bahn
b) Number of occupants
c) How long you plan to retain the car and if re-sale value is important to you
d) If running cost is an important consideration

Answers to a and c should guide you in the German V Jap discussion. And your answer to b will guide your choice of models. And d should be considered for the Diesel Vs gasoline option.
If you will be spending time on the autobahn thats a strong case for a German brand. 'German cars have a bad reputation around here' - hmm. High maintenece costs in relative terms - possibly. Bad reputation - not that I am aware of. In general Italian and french cars are not considered benchmarks for reliability (this is the perception and I dont know if its backed by facts) and you will find peugeots, citroens & Fiats with higher levels of trim and lower numbers on the odometer within your current budget.

If you strech your budget by about €4-5k you'll find more options for sure. The safest bet is to look at used cars from an OEM dealer compared to a private seller or a multi-brand used car showroom. You may end up paying a slight premium but its worth it for the peace of mind and the warranty it brings with it
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arihant.EXE View Post
Hi Guys,
I am in the market to buy a used car in Germany. I would like to spend up to 12,000 Euros for this car. I want a car that is very comfortable, has some power to it, and is low on maintenance.
If your HEAD rules:
Based on my personal experience it is better to go for Japanese if you're around that budget. A Totoya Yaris or something similar would definitely fulfill all your commuting needs within the city and on Autobahns.

Rather than stretching on your budget you can invest some on ADAC(comes handy before every season change). And then there is always SIXT if you get an urge to rip on A1,A3 or A5 with their range of cars for a good price.

If your HEART rules
That being said, your heart has always precedence over what everyone of us has to say here. Own something you always dreamt to own it.
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:03   #42
BHPian

Thanks for your input guys.

@Zed, my usage will be usual city commutes, some intercity travel every week (2-250 kms), and some long road trips once or twice a year.

Number of occupants, well, I live by myself but I can occasionally have a couple more people in the car.

I want to keep the car for a good 5-6 years if possible. Good re-sale value will be welcome, but not a deal breaker.

Running cost is definitely a consideration and that's why I am sorta inclined towards diesels.

I see that you live in Germany. Would you have any pointers on as to what my warranty options etc are on used cars? In the US they have a lot of bumper to bumper warranties, but I am not sure about Europe yet.

Quote:
I have absolutely no experince in buying a second hand car in Germany. So all of the information I am providing is based on what Ive heard. To begin with its hard to asses your requirment without knowing..

a) Usage - city / b-roads / A-bahn
b) Number of occupants
c) How long you plan to retain the car and if re-sale value is important to you
d) If running cost is an important consideration

Answers to a and c should guide you in the German V Jap discussion. And your answer to b will guide your choice of models. And d should be considered for the Diesel Vs gasoline option.
If you will be spending time on the autobahn thats a strong case for a German brand. 'German cars have a bad reputation around here' - hmm. High maintenece costs in relative terms - possibly. Bad reputation - not that I am aware of. In general Italian and french cars are not considered benchmarks for reliability (this is the perception and I dont know if its backed by facts) and you will find peugeots, citroens & Fiats with higher levels of trim and lower numbers on the odometer within your current budget.

If you strech your budget by about €4-5k you'll find more options for sure. The safest bet is to look at used cars from an OEM dealer compared to a private seller or a multi-brand used car showroom. You may end up paying a slight premium but its worth it for the peace of mind and the warranty it brings with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
If your HEAD rules:
Based on my personal experience it is better to go for Japanese if you're around that budget. A Totoya Yaris or something similar would definitely fulfill all your commuting needs within the city and on Autobahns.

Rather than stretching on your budget you can invest some on ADAC(comes handy before every season change). And then there is always SIXT if you get an urge to rip on A1,A3 or A5 with their range of cars for a good price.

If your HEART rules
That being said, your heart has always precedence over what everyone of us has to say here. Own something you always dreamt to own it.
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:19   #43
BHPian

For the 10k budget, you should probably be able to get a good VW Golf with fairly low miles, or a Polo maybe.
Its a great city car, 1.2 has good power, very good resale value.

Have you considered lease?

Quote:
Thanks for your input guys.

I want to keep the car for a good 5-6 years if possible. Good re-sale value will be welcome, but not a deal breaker.
Old 4th November 2016, 01:52   #44
Zed
BHPian

Quote:

I see that you live in Germany. Would you have any pointers on as to what my warranty options etc are on used cars? In the US they have a lot of bumper to bumper warranties, but I am not sure about Europe yet.
The safest bet is to buy a used car from OE showroom. Almost every dealership will have a small 'used car' lot and some also feature used cars in their homepages. As long a used car is sold by a dealer they have to (as far as I am aware) offer you a minimum of 1 year warranty. Its not a comprehensive bumper-to-bumper deal but offers reasonable coverage and they also chip in a certain % for labor. Its labor rates that makes any type of repair really expensive. YOu can also pay extra for a extended warranty either with the dealer or with an isurance company. Stay away from small time used car dealerships. Berlin and a couple of other cities have a bad rep when it comes to dealers. Stuttgart & Munich are relatively better. I know thats not very detailed but I do wish you luck with your search. feel free to PM me if you need any further inputs
Old 21st December 2016, 22:05   #45
BHPian

New Audi A3 v/s Pre-used BMW 3 series v/s Pre-used Audi A4

I am moving to Munich next month and planning to buy my next ride there.

Options shortlisted so far for a budget of about 30K Euros.

1. Decently specced NEW Audi A3 Sedan (Manual Transmission, 1,4TSI)

2. Pre-owned BMW 320d/320i with Automatic Transmission. In budget are 2015 and above models run for about 15,000 KM from BMW premium selection

3. Pre-owned Audi A4 Sedan with 2.0 TDI/1.4 TSI from Audi Plus (2015 and above Model)

Please suggest the pros and cons of the above choices

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks