Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:56   #46
BHPian

Re: New Audi A3 v/s Pre-used BMW 3 series v/s Pre-used Audi A4

I would suggest pre owned BMW 320d with Automatic Transmission. As far as I know, the 3 series has a better equipment list than A4 and has a better fun to drive quotient to it. In India, the maintenance cost for both the vehicle is more or less the same but I have seen BMW being a slightly better at that as well, no major difference though.

Good luck and May Munich serve you well! Feel them German roads!
kvsingh13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:45   #47
Zed
BHPian

Re: An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?

Hello Sahil, I have to start with a disclaimer that Ive not (yet!) been through the process of buying a used car in Germany. But I am on the look out for a small car for my wife and this certainly will be a used car option. ( My filters are : buy from a branded car dealership with 2 years warranty, first registration in 2013 or later, under 50k kms)

For your budger you will find great options for the models you've shortlisted. Premium selection from a dealer comes at a price premium BUT the extra 1-2 grand that you'll shell out will be worth it. Audi's have great resale value (check out the prices of used A1's and youll see what I mean) and in general offer a balanced driving experince. BMWs, on the other hand, give you razor sharp handling but are not the benchmark for comfort. If you're a petrol head that values performance/handling over comfort - BMW is the way to go!

Here is a link from the Audi.de website - ive limited the dearch to Audi dealers (not sub-dealers) that offer pre-used cars. Id encourage you to think of a pre-used (or pre registered) A3, 2015 or 2016 registered, instead of a brand new version. Wish you luck with your move and feel free to PM me if you need any further Info. I am based in the bodensee region which is a couple of hours south-west of Munich

http://www.audi-boerse.de/gebrauchtwagen/url-2_1-list.htm#/i/s|10,AAAJ,AAAQ,AADC,AAAO,AADK,AADL,AACT,AABD,AADG, AADD,AAAU|1041,20000|1051,22000|1070,2014|1130,1|1 200,DEU03611,DEU03620/l|12,1,STAT_GWPLUS,U
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsingh13 View Post
I would suggest pre owned BMW 320d with Automatic Transmission. As far as I know, the 3 series has a better equipment list than A4 and has a better fun to drive quotient to it. In India, the maintenance cost for both the vehicle is more or less the same but I have seen BMW being a slightly better at that as well, no major difference though.

Good luck and May Munich serve you well! Feel them German roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

For your budger you will find great options for the models you've shortlisted. Premium selection from a dealer comes at a price premium BUT the extra 1-2 grand that you'll shell out will be worth it. Audi's have great resale value (check out the prices of used A1's and youll see what I mean) and in general offer a balanced driving experince. BMWs, on the other hand, give you razor sharp handling but are not the benchmark for comfort. If you're a petrol head that values performance/handling over comfort - BMW is the way to go!

.Wish you luck with your move and feel free to PM me if you need any further Info. I am based in the bodensee region which is a couple of hours south-west of Munich
Thanks KVSingh and Zed. I have experienced DSG in my Polo GT TSI and I guess S-tronic is pretty similar.

I have heard great reviews about BMW auto transmission only and hence more inclined towards BMW 3 series.

Between F30 320d/320i which one should be picked ( I am not that much into fuel economy but I guess it may have an impact on Road tax ? )

Great to know to you are based not far from Munich !
Old 9th March 2017, 04:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Moved to Frankfurt from London and did not drive for 3 years now. Now that I got my license converted to a German I have been looking for a Golf for weekend commutes, weekdays its all cycling around.

I would like to check if Golf Mk 7 ((12K odo, DSG) is a better idea than an A3(26K odo, Stronic). Both 150ps 1,4TSI engines offered at 20k and 26k respectively.

What to specifically look out for in each car? We intend to keep it for next 5 years so reliability is more important than resale. I test drove and did not find any special comfort in the A3 over Golf. I found the acceleration and braking to be almost similar and sound insulation to be equally good. I am confused as both cars are almost similar on equipment too.

Kindly guide.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 9th March 2017 at 04:21.
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 09:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Moved to Frankfurt from London and did not drive for 3 years now.

I would like to check if Golf Mk 7 ((12K odo, DSG) is a better idea than an A3(26K odo, Stronic). Both 150ps 1,4TSI engines offered at 20k and 26k respectively.
Dear Sn1p3r, Congratulations on your move and wish you a pleasant stay in Frankfurt!

I have not driven the A3, but have driven the Golf Mk7 (TSi Highline) several times (it is one of our company cars). I love driving it, and given a chance to own a hatchback (I drive a minivan due to necessity), I would pick it up over anything else (except, may be the Golf GTi/R or Scirocco). You have not mentioned the trim level, but the Highline sold here in Japan is loaded to the gills, and is plenty fast, especially with the DSG (not sure if it is fast enough for the Autobahns though!).. For me, everything felt just right - be it the ergonomics, the tactile feel, or the quality of materials used.

Other than the known weak point that is DSG, I don't think anything else is going to go wrong with a 12K run Golf in the next 5 years, especially considering your usage. I may be wrong, but if I was in your place, I would use that 6000 Euros (that is a lot of money!) for fuel and maintenance for a long time to come.

Good luck for your search and do update your final choice here!
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 13:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Dear Sn1p3r, Congratulations on your move and wish you a pleasant stay in Frankfurt!

I have not driven the A3, but have driven the Golf Mk7 (TSi Highline) several times (it is one of our company cars). I love driving it, and given a chance to own a hatchback (I drive a minivan due to necessity), I would pick it up over anything else (except, may be the Golf GTi/R or Scirocco). You have not mentioned the trim level, but the Highline sold here in Japan is loaded to the gills, and is plenty fast, especially with the DSG (not sure if it is fast enough for the Autobahns though!).. For me, everything felt just right - be it the ergonomics, the tactile feel, or the quality of materials used.

Other than the known weak point that is DSG, I don't think anything else is going to go wrong with a 12K run Golf in the next 5 years, especially considering your usage. I may be wrong, but if I was in your place, I would use that 6000 Euros (that is a lot of money!) for fuel and maintenance for a long time to come.

Good luck for your search and do update your final choice here!
Thanks Viju, The trim line is Comfortline with R-Line exteriors and paddle shifters, it has upgraded audio system and all the bells and whistles that I wasn’t even thinking. It is a Jahreswagen (one year company car for a manager in VW, thus all the pop pops) so it did 12k in 18 months that is low mileage or about 25km a day that is considered ok for a company car and so I am thinking that he did not thrash it around on highways.

The lounge package interiors (currently it is the Sound package) that added the updated speaker system and parking sensors with auto dimming IRVM and electric heated seats and even steering. It has upgraded tartan seats with white stitching. The steering and auto gear nob is leather wrapped with brushed metal accents. DAB radio, 6,5 inch touch screen (last year model, as the new golf came out this month with upgraded system). BT for Android and CarPlay, wireless charging for Samsung phones (worthless for me), tinted glass house all around with rear wipers on auto mode as well. Dual air con zones and heat/cool glove compartment.

Apart from Navigation, Xenon headlamps and bigger tires the piece I am looking at is all loaded. While on A3 I get these (except Navigation). Thus making the price equal on value count. However, my usage is low about 10-12k km per year. We wish to keep the cars for long term, till Germans don’t get infrastructure for electric cars ready (maybe in 2020-25 as per the discussions on standards on plugs and charging standards, grrrr.).

You are most right and my wife (A3 fan) got thinking about the 6k difference. And that is about 30% of the car value.

As for DSG, I specifically asked the sales representative for clarification and he says 150bhp engine is well mated to this and they are covering 3 years warranty (5 years from the date it was first registered). He mentioned if I do not drive like a hooligan every time I hit the autobahn, I should be ok for next 7 years. I live near the hills of Taunus and mostly its restricted to 50 kmph with few unrestricted autobahns. The long drives with family (small talkative 4 year old) can not be done at 160+ to be realistic. The car can go to 220 as per one of my neighbours (she is helping me decipher the language and paperwork). She has the latest Golf Sportsvan same engine.

VW is adding 2 year/20000km free maintenance and inspection (saving approx €400) and also a €300 fuel card.

I have driven a lot of rental cars (Audi and VW) and even Cayman as my company car in past but this is a private buy and so it is rather a tough decision for short/long duration. This will be my first pre-worshipped car ever in about 20 years, thus the heart skips a beat and that too in a land where I am not fluent in the language.
Sn1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, the car is here.

It has run 160km in a week, just getting used to drives. The DSG works well, the cruise control and limiter is a boon as the torque from the engine keeps the clicks coming effortlessly and 30/50/60/80 speed limits are just a light press of the foot away.

The delivery process was not smooth, the sales representative goofed up and did not check about the payments, VW had already changed the ownership to us but the Autohaus was not updated. I had to wait for this to complete and that took lots of time as my wife (owner) was not in the country. Then the second bummer was that the check your left fog light error flashed on the console the moment I first switched on the car and the sales rep was callous and excused himself on behalf of his colleague. I had to get my son from the kindergarten and so just made an appointment for them to fix it in 15 days time.

The car is set for long service interval (as mentioned in the registration book). It needs the next oil change in 60+ days and first service in 90 days. I will get it done with both at the same time. There is nothing that I would change in the car as of now. Still learning about it as the days pass.

Special thanks to Joe, Zed and every owner of VW and associated brand cars as I read each writeup in detail.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 18:41   #53
BHPian

Great choice there Sn1p3r!! congratulations for the purchase. The Golf Mk 7 with DSG is a very potent car!

The Golf, with the 8th Generation around the Corner has come a Long way! It might not be the must fun or the most unique looking car on the road, but during These 7 generations, the engineers at Wolfsburg have pretty much made into a perfect car!

Although I dont own a car in Germany yet, browsing through used car offerings on mobile.de is my favorite pass time!
ishankpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 03:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

Finally! After years of offline finally back to TBHP. Congrats to Sn1p3r on your Golf 7.

@Sahil: I might be bit late to the party but did you manage to find your car?

@Zed: How are you??
Old 13th July 2017, 19:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
VW is adding 2 year/20000km free maintenance and inspection (saving approx €400) and also a €300 fuel card.
Just before a month, I bought 2016 Golf Estate 1.4 TSI 125 PS (All Star special edition) with the same Sorglos paket for €18,500. It is also a Jahreswagen with 20K kms on Odo and came with 5 years/1,00,000 kms warranty (from the date of 1st reg), 1% interest rate, 2 year/20000km free maintenance and inspection and €300 fuel card. It is butter smooth to drive and feels solid.

Following are the upgrades I have done till now:
1. new halogen headlights with projector lens, double-U LED DRLs and LED indicators
2. Helix plug and play sub-woofer with coding
3. activation of some features with OBDeleven dongle
4. Interior LED lamp set has arrived and waiting for the weekend to swap

I was deciding between Audi A3 sedan and Golf Estate with similar spec and in same price bracket (for used cars) and finally decided Golf Estate for the space it offers, long term maintenance cost and more importantly to play with it with retrofits .
My friend bought a similar spec Audi A3 sedan for €19,300 and I have driven it equally as my Golf. The interior quality of A3 is a notch above Golf and the buttons feels more solid than Golf. A3 is a chick car to drive but coming from Fiat Grande Punto I feel A3 is not a proper upgrade in terms of space. A3 definitely feels premium compared to my Golf but Golf is an all rounder.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 10:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Just before a month, I bought 2016 Golf Estate 1.4 TSI 125 PS (All Star special edition)....
Here are couple of pics from my ride:
Attached Thumbnails
An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-img_2588.jpg  

An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-img_2663.jpg  

An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-img_2670.jpg  

Old 15th August 2017, 14:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishankpatel View Post
Great choice there Sn1p3r!! congratulations for the purchase. The Golf Mk 7 with DSG is a very potent car!
Thanks! I would consider an e-golf if you do a lot of intercity travel, it is really potent and immensely fun to drive (torque). My usage is sparse but whenever I stretch it’s feet on autobahn, it is sheer fun, I can keep up with some fast cars.

Quote:
Just before a month, I bought 2016 Golf Estate 1.4 TSI 125 PS (All Star special edition) with the same Sorglos paket for €18,500. It is also a Jahreswagen with 20K kms on Odo and came with 5 years/1,00,000 kms warranty (from the date of 1st reg), 1% interest rate, 2 year/20000km free maintenance and inspection and €300 fuel card. It is butter smooth to drive and feels solid.
Perfect choice. I saw/drove many before we stuck with this choice. Is your’s DSG?
125ps is more than enough for autobahn, with load full I think you still have much poke left to overtake at the unrestricted parts.

Quote:
Following are the upgrades I have done till now:
1. new halogen headlights with projector lens, double-U LED DRLs and LED indicators
2. Helix plug and play sub-woofer with coding
3. activation of some features with OBDeleven dongle
4. Interior LED lamp set has arrived and waiting for the weekend to swap
Very nice upgrades w.r.t. headlight.
What all did you activate?

I am keeping the car stock, just waiting for my insurance to get lower

My car got first service/inspection and got the oil change. It is 2 years/20k oil change with long-life. So VW does not really do a lot while inspection, still peace of mind.

Quote:
I was deciding between Audi A3 sedan and Golf Estate with similar spec and in same price bracket (for used cars) and finally decided Golf Estate for the space it offers, long term maintenance cost and more importantly to play with it with retrofits .
My friend bought a similar spec Audi A3 sedan for €19,300 and I have driven it equally as my Golf. The interior quality of A3 is a notch above Golf and the buttons feels more solid than Golf. A3 is a chick car to drive but coming from Fiat Grande Punto I feel A3 is not a proper upgrade in terms of space. A3 definitely feels premium compared to my Golf but Golf is an all rounder.
A3 is premium but I am sure it must have more mileage for that price. Also, it loses more value than Golf. The repairs/service cost have to be considered.
Old 15th August 2017, 23:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect choice. I saw/drove many before we stuck with this choice. Is your’s DSG?

125ps is more than enough for autobahn, with load full I think you still have much poke left to overtake at the unrestricted parts.
Mine is 1.4 TSI with manual gearbox. I loved the DSG but I didn't go for it due to the reliability issue. Yes 125 PS is more than sufficient for me. The difference between 125 PS and 150 PS comes into play only at higher rev band which I use rarely. My everyday use is in landstrasse and occasionally in Autobahn.

If your's is 150 PS then I hope it has 6 speed wet clutch DSG which is more reliable but it needs oil service for every 40K or 60K kms which alone costs around €400.

Quote:
Very nice upgrades w.r.t. headlight.
What all did you activate?
I love this headlight especially the full length LED indicators. It was just plug and play.
I activated the following features so far:
  • Instrument staging (needle sweep)
  • Lane change indicator from 3 to 5 blinks
  • auto closing of windows during rain
  • A/C fan speed display in auto mode
  • Refuel quantity in MFD
  • Lock/unlock acknowledgement with Alarm siren
  • taillights ON with DRLs
  • Outer taillight ON when boot opens
  • Coming home light - from manual to automatic

Quote:
My car got first service/inspection and got the oil change. It is 2 years/20k oil change with long-life. So VW does not really do a lot while inspection, still peace of mind..
Your's is 1.4 TSI or TDI?
For mine the service interval is 2 years/30,000 kms

Quote:
A3 is premium but I am sure it must have more mileage for that price. Also, it loses more value than Golf. The repairs/service cost have to be considered.
My friend bought A3 sedan with 12K in odo (lesser than mine). But it is a rare offer in Audi website and it is from an Audi employee in Neckarsulm.
I considered long term maintenance costs and went for Golf. I would like to keep the car as long as it runs. That's why bought kombi instead of hatchback.

I hope you are enjoying your ride.
Old 15th December 2017, 18:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your's is 150 PS then I hope it has 6 speed wet clutch DSG which is more reliable but it needs oil service for every 40K or 60K kms which alone costs around €400.
Nope mine is 7 speed and hopefully will be reliable. My running is 60% city and 40% Highways but with fewer gearshifts. I could have bought manual but soon this car will be driven by wife and so longterm DSG was better.

Quote:
I love this headlight especially the full length LED indicators. It was just plug and play.
Did you get it registered on RC and got it TÜV certified? It is not legal otherwise.

ADAC led-retrofits/

Quote:
Your's is 1.4 TSI or TDI?
For mine the service interval is 2 years/30,000 kms
I think the manufacture limit is 20k. However, I like to get the service done earlier even if it is more as I drive fast on Autobahns and stress the engine.

I am enjoying your ride. It has been 5500km during summers.

Now winter proofing to Steel wheels and Winter tyres.

How about you?
Old 15th December 2017, 20:15   #60
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

@Zed: How are you??
Hi Alphakilo - sorry I missed this post / thread. Are you still in Germany?

Most Viewed