Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2017, 22:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?

I am enjoying the ride, it has been keeping up with my expectations. It has been 5500km during summers.

During this travel season within the 3 months, I did a return trip of 1100 km with Ford S-max (a class above Golf, equivalent to Passat) over two days and appreciated the feel-good features of Golf over the well engineered Ford. The ride is more controlled and you know what is happening with the car over the Ford people carrier. The seats are also better on Golf. Top-speced S-max though had healthy power advantage (250 vs 150 bhp) but was negated by size and cargo, although it was easy to reach unmentionable speeds easier with less efficiency. The Ford wafted well but the Golf felt connected though not necessarily planted maybe it was the weight differential. Ergonomics too are better in Golf.

Now winter proofing to Steel wheels and Winter tyres.

How about you?

Last edited by ajmat : 17th December 2017 at 00:43. Reason: correcting language
Old 21st December 2017, 18:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Nope mine is 7 speed and hopefully will be reliable. My running is 60% city and 40% Highways but with fewer gearshifts. I could have bought manual but soon this car will be driven by wife and so longterm DSG was better.
DSG is better for your requirements. With 5 years warranty I think you don't need to worry.
Quote:
Did you get it registered on RC and got it TÜV certified? It is not legal otherwise.
The manufacturer of the light already got TüV pre-approval. So it is road legal and will pass TüV test without issues.
Quote:
I think the manufacture limit is 20k. However, I like to get the service done earlier even if it is more as I drive fast on Autobahns and stress the engine.
There are two types of service options for VW and Audi models AFAIK (not sure about Seat and Skoda):
1) Fixed interval service (1 year/20k kms) - for cars with more city or more Highway usage
2) Flexible service with expensive Longlife Oil (2 yrs/30k kms) - for cars with normal usage in mixed conditions

Mine is set to Flexible Service option.
Quote:
Now winter proofing to Steel wheels and Winter tyres.

How about you?
My car came with All-Season tyres which is okay for driving on normal roads in winter. However I also got a new set of winter tyres as compliment. I'm planning to upgrade to 17 inch summer tyres in next summer with a new set of black sporty alloys und to mount the new winter tyres on stock alloys. All-Season tyres are good at nothing during summer as well as winter.
Old 16th January 2018, 19:19   #63
BHPian

Good to know that bhpians are in Germany as well and such a thread exists.

I am in Germany for quite some time now and familiar with buying/selling processes, insurance options, registrations and schengen country movements. If anyone needs help I am happy to extend my support.
May be we can also plan a TBHP meet in Germany

By the way here is my ride in Germany, an A4 Avant.

An Enjoyable Conundrum - What Car in Germany?-img_20160913_1905482.jpg

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 23:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Good to know that bhpians are in Germany as well and such a thread exists.
Happy to hear from a fellow-BHPian in Germany

Quote:
I am in Germany for quite some time now and familiar with buying/selling processes, insurance options, registrations and schengen country movements. If anyone needs help I am happy to extend my support.
Thanks for offering your support.
Actually the insurance of my Golf 7 Variant is valid till end of April and then I would like to switch to anything better. I got VW insurance since the sales rep offered me €500 discount if I go with VW insurance.
Which insurance do you recommend me (better in terms of claim reimbursement, workshop selection, add-ons, etc.)?
For my previous car (2009 Grande Punto), I had HUK-Coburg.

Quote:
May be we can also plan a TBHP meet in Germany
Ya sure
I am living in Heilbronn. In which part of Germany are you living?

Quote:
By the way here is my ride in Germany, an A4 Avant.
Looks nice and timeless! Is it TDI or TFSI?
Old 18th January 2018, 00:38   #65
BHPian

Lovin the pics of those combi cars. I used to live in Stuttgart in 96 working for Robert Bosch. I mostly used the Schones Wochenende carte for my travels, but I have fond memories of driving a (then 10 year old) 5 series combi.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 17:34   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Actually the insurance of my Golf 7 Variant is valid till end of April and then I would like to switch to anything better. I got VW insurance since the sales rep offered me €500 discount if I go with VW insurance.

Which insurance do you recommend me (better in terms of claim reimbursement, workshop selection, add-ons, etc.)?

For my previous car (2009 Grande Punto), I had HUK-Coburg.
Which year of make is your car? If it is 6 or more it is preferred to go for teilkasko which is cheaper. If you want a full coverage then you must opt for vollkasko where the premium is higher.

Claims are very easy in Germany so you do not need to worry about workshop selection or reimbursement. Everything is online and they are just a phone call away. For smaller claims they do not even bother to inspect the car and money just comes to your account once you send them the bill. I have experience with HUK, HDI and Kravag but you can also check on check24 website and based on your selection you get wide range of options.

Additionally I would suggest you go for an ADAC membership which is very helpful and you are never left stranded on road through out Europe (Some insurance also gives free towing service for eg. HUK but I prefer ADAC which is really fast and prompt with wider coverage area).

Quote:
I am living in Heilbronn. In which part of Germany are you living?
I live close to Regensburg.

Quote:
Looks nice and timeless! Is it TDI or TFSI?
This is a 2.0 TDI.
Which company do you work for?

-UB

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th October 2018 at 14:41. Reason: Formatting for improve readability
Old 21st January 2018, 01:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Which year of make is your car? If it is 6 or more it is preferred to go for teilkasko which is cheaper. If you want a full coverage then you must opt for vollkasko where the premium is higher.
Claims are very easy in Germany so you do not need to worry about workshop selection or reimbursement. Everything is online and they are just a phone call away. For smaller claims they do not even bother to inspect the car and money just comes to your account once you send them the bill. I have experience with HUK, HDI and Kravag but you can also check on check24 website and based on your selection you get wide range of options.
Mine is 2016 model so definitely vollkasko only. Even for 2009 Grande Punto I went for vollkasko because of the labour cost here.
Yes I am aware of check24 website but with cheaper offers sometimes there are problems with claims (I read all the customer feedback comments in Check24 offers). Regarding workshop selection, for my previous Punto I had HUK-Coburg in which I selected the option: Workshop shall be selected by HUK which will reduce the insurance premium. But for Golf, I don't want to do that because it is still having 3 years of warranty & I want to do all repairs only in VW workshop. I will check with HUK24.

Quote:
Additionally I would suggest you go for an ADAC membership which is very helpful and you are never left stranded on road through out Europe (Some insurance also gives free towing service for eg. HUK but I prefer ADAC which is really fast and prompt with wider coverage area).
I am already an ADAC Plus member since 2 years & used their service including towing & 1 week rental car when I had my old Punto. I recommend my friends who are buying cars to get ADAC before even they buy the car.

Quote:
I live close to Regensburg.
Not far away it seems. I hope we shall meet if you travel towards Stuttgart or when I drive through Regensburg/nearby.

Quote:
This is a 2.0 TDI.
Which company do you work for?
-UB
Bosch Engineering GmbH. I guess you are working for one of it's competitors (Conti/AVL??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Lovin the pics of those combi cars. I used to live in Stuttgart in 96 working for Robert Bosch. I mostly used the Schones Wochenende carte for my travels, but I have fond memories of driving a (then 10 year old) 5 series combi.
Yes Kombis are popular in Germany. Even I was little hesitant when booking a Golf Kombi. I was searching for nice Jetta but there are very few ones available and also they are imported from Mexico. But after owning the Golf Kombi for last 6 months, I am not regretting my decision. Now a days I am loving kombis more than sedans

Last edited by theMAG : 21st January 2018 at 07:57. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 24th January 2018, 13:19   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Not far away it seems. I hope we shall meet if you travel towards Stuttgart or when I drive through Regensburg/nearby.
Yes, lets do that. Also would be good if we have more bhpians around.

Quote:
Bosch Engineering GmbH. I guess you are working for one of it's competitors (Conti/AVL??)
You got it right, for Conti. But my 2.0TDI motor runs on Bosch system .

Quote:
Yes Kombis are popular in Germany. Even I was little hesitant when booking a Golf Kombi. I was searching for nice Jetta but there are very few ones available and also they are imported from Mexico. But after owning the Golf Kombi for last 6 months, I am not regretting my decision. Now a days I am loving kombis more than sedans
True. In the past I had hatchback and a sedan. Later realized that when one gets more rear boot space and the classy look, why not have one.

Somehow in India the combis have not really had a successful life. I remember some of premier padmini's combi edition (I guess after market) and later the Tata marina & Fiat palio weekend. Not seen anything after their failure.

-UB

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th October 2018 at 14:42. Reason: Formatting for improved readability
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 18:12   #69
BHPian

Not sure if its the right thread, but let me go ahead and ask my question anyway

We moved to Germany recently (residing just north of Frankfurt) and will be here for the next couple of years. I plan to buy a car, but am confused with the number of options available.
a. Will use it 2-3 days a week to commute to office (one way 25km)
b. Plan to tour Europe
c. Have a 2 year old kid, so need space
d. Prefer Estate / Combi to SUVs
e. Manual or Auto - both are ok
f. Budget of a max of 15K (no Car lease from company :()

I have been on AutoScout and Mobil.de - both have a number of options of which i like the following
a. Golf Wagon - Current Generation
b. Passat Previous Generation
c. A smattering of A4 Avant and 3series Wagons

Any advise? Also need help with Insurance - how do I negotiate?

I have a UK driving license and have checked that its valid to drive with one here without issues.
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:12   #70
BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving & Maintaining a car in Germany

Hello all, Greetings from Germany!

I tried to find a similar thread, if it may have opened earlier, but couldn't, hence thought of asking my queries in this thread. Mods: Please feel free to merge this thread to any pre-existing ones, if any.

I've been in Germany for 2 years now, and "buy a car" bug has bitten me firmly ever since I acquired my german drivers license this month. Here are my requirements:

1. 4/5 door (hatchback or sedan?)
2. Fuel: Petrol
3. Condition: Used
4. Budget: 15k
5. Age: Preferably from this decade

In addition, my driving habits are going to be more focused towards highway driving (won't be using it much in the city, as public transport is really good). What would you all recommend as choices that I could consider?

I've been looking at 2014/15 VW Golfs with the 1.0/1.4 TSI around my budget which seem like pretty good value, but I want to see if there are any other better options that I may have overlooked.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th October 2018 at 14:43. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Please SEARCH before creating threads on topics extensively discussed before. Thanks / formatt
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:52   #71
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving & Maintaining a car in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post

I tried to find a similar thread, if it may have opened earlier, but couldn't, hence thought of asking my queries in this thread. Mods: Please feel free to merge this thread to any pre-existing ones, if any.

I've been in Germany for 2 years now, and "buy a car" bug has bitten me firmly ever since I acquired my german drivers license this month. Here are my requirements:

In addition, my driving habits are going to be more focused towards highway driving (won't be using it much in the city, as public transport is really good). What would you all recommend as choices that I could consider?

I've been looking at 2014/15 VW Golfs with the 1.0/1.4 TSI around my budget which seem like pretty good value, but I want to see if there are any other better options that I may have overlooked.

Thanks for the help
As someone who has owned a Golf here in Germany in the past, I can vouch for the fact that nothing comes close to a hassle free ownership.

I bought a 99700 kms driven 2011 Golf 1.6TDI Mk6 from a dealer in Hockenheim in July 2017. I drove it for 40000 kms in an year (my daily commute is about 60 kms). I was the third owner, the first being the VW AG itself, then another person and finally me. The vehicle was a Jahreswagen (these are cars that are used by company employees for an year before being sold off at hefty discounts in the used car market). The second owner bought it from VW AG and going by the saved radio stations on the music system, the car was driven by him in the Dortmund region. He finally sold it off to the dealer in Hockenheim and I came across the car on autoscout24.de while looking for other cars as well.

The initial idea was a vehicle to just get to office, however once I realised the cost benefit of your own vehicle against the DB trains, I ended up doing solo trips all over EU. I recently sold the car in July this year when I upgraded it to a BMW 430d. Since I had an amazing problem free experience with the Jahreswagen concept with the Golf, this time I made sure to head straight to a Company Niederlassung that dealt with these cars.

Now to answer your questions:

1. In my experience of driving long distances and really fast on the autobahn, a sedan is way more stable when people pass you over 180kmph. As long as you don't mind the low slung ride, I would suggest a sedan - maybe look at a used Passat 2.0TDI. They come cheap, are very very reliable and the sedan version from 2016 onwards is quite a looker.

2. Again, I would suggest you look at which city are you a living in and how far are you from a diesel ban in the city centre. Case in point is Stuttgart, I can't drive into the Umwelt zones there, it is kinda ridiculous. However, in terms of car prices, I dont see a major difference in between petrol and diesel cars. Maybe you end up like me, wanting to explore EU, driving upto Dunkirk just for fun, the diesel will certainly help there, would skip the petrol.

3. Used is the way to go in Germany, you seldom come across a bad example. People wouldn't be able to tell you what they ate for breakfast this morning but they can give you an exact breakup of each line item on their last car service Rechnung (bill) that was 3 months ago.

4. 15k sounds about the right budget when looking for a Passat. You could get good Golf Mk6 and Mk7 models depending on the options for less than 10k. Mine costed 9.7k for example.

5. Yes, play around with the filters on the website mobile.de or autoscout24.de and you will see that the options are endless.

I would suggest buying atleast a 2.0 litre motor else you will end up with a vehicle that electronically tops out at 180 kmph and on the unlimited speed stretches you would end up in a tricky situation. (It was one of the reasons I bought a 3 Litre 256 bhp motor, I was sick of being pushed around by mean looking passive aggressive germans who flash you till you move out of the fast lane. Now I do the same thing to the others )

Do write in if you have more questions or if you need to guidance on the whole insurance and car registration process (been through it twice now).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th October 2018 at 14:44. Reason: Formatting quoted post
aplang1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 12:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplang1 View Post
...BMW 430d...

Quote:
2. Again, I would suggest you look at which city are you a living in and how far are you from a diesel ban in the city centre...
A valid point and could mean the difference between "make or break" of any deal these days!

@asivan: I would humbly suggest, if you are not in any urgent need of a vehicle then hold your "horses" for another year.

Quote:
(... Now I do the same thing to the others )
I hope this was only a joke and you seriously don't practice it on the Autobahns.
Old 15th November 2018, 12:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post

Thanks for the help
As an owner of 2016 VW Golf Mk7 1.4 TSI Combi (bought as Jahreswagen with 21000 kms driven), here is my feedback.

Pros:
  • Space: beats every other car in the segment & few cars in the higher segment (e.g. current gen A4, C class Combis which I have personally rented). Loads of boot space in combi, enough rear seat space, all the doors can easily hold 2L bottle, under seat storage at front seats, a lot of cubby spaces including one for sunglass.
  • Engine: smooth, refined & punchy petrol engine is very comfortable to drive. If driven sedately in autobahn at 130-140 kph with cruise control, I am easily getting an average FE of 20 kmpl. Inspite of being 1.4 ltr engine with 125 PS, I never felt lack of punch even in autobahn. The top speed clocked so far is 220 kph.
  • Features: Auto Hold is a boon in stop & go traffic. Front parking sensors aid in parallel parking in tight spaces. Other features are dipping & heated ORVMs, auto dimming IRVM, auto high beam assist, auto climate control, etc.
  • Quality: everything feels solid and soft touch plastic is used in many places at front. Neatly organized control buttons on the dashboard with a quick response touchscreen.
  • Reliability: my current odo is 42000 kms. Until now I have replaced one side folding ORVM due light noise and one rear seat folding lock under warranty. No other issues.

Cons:
  • Engine, Controls & Chassis are tuned more towards comfort than sporty driving
  • Gear shift is very soft & spongy. I'm upgrading few rubber parts in the linkage to metal parts to get sporty feel.
  • There is infamous rattle noise coming from rear suspension area present still in my car. I have been to dealer but they refused to acknowledge it as an issue. The issue was there is 2013-2015 batches because of suspension manufacturing defect. Few owners in Golf forums have arrested the noise by clamping the loose hanging hose from fuel tank. I have to try the fix.

Other points:
  • My annual mileage is between 12K and 15K kms and my daily office commute is 12 kms one way. So opted for petrol since I don't want to run cold diesel engine everyday.
  • I'm planning to keep the car as long as possible so bought it with 5 years/1 lac kms warranty (from the date of first registration)
  • I paid 18K Euros for the car. Got a lot of extras with 0.99% interest rate for car loan.
  • Average service cost is €450 (apprx. €100 could be saved by bringing engine oil by self).
  • Applied first insurance in HUK-Coburg and now switched to HUK24
  • 1.0 TSI in a Golf could be okay only for city runs.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 16:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
As someone who has owned a Golf here in Germany in the past, I can vouch for the fact that nothing comes close to a hassle free ownership.
Quote:
As an owner of 2016 VW Golf Mk7 1.4 TSI Combi (bought as Jahreswagen with 21000 kms driven), here is my feedback.
Thanks a ton for the info guys! For now, I'm sticking with DriveNow/Car2Go for my local purposes, have postponed my purchase decision to May/June next year. Will probably look for a Jahreswagen or a low run Golf/A Class/A3/V40, depending on what I can find then.

Most Viewed