Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2011, 14:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Dear T-BHPians,
Need urgent advice on the following matter.
There is an Ad in ToI mentioning surplus cars for sale by some company. They have mentioned an email Id surpluscarsforsale@gmail.com for communication. On sending a mail I got the following reply.

SUB: OFFER FOR SALE OF NEW, REGISTERED CARS IN BULK

Dear Sir,
Please refer to the telecom with the undersigned for the purchase of Cars. Please note that we are a private company who wishes to sell off its surplus cars.
The cars are being sold on the following terms and conditions:
1. No warranty and guarantee for the cars
2. Cars are sold as is where is
3. Prior inspection is provided wherein the cars can be inspected.
4. Cars require cleaning and basic servicing.
5. Cars are registered on the name of the company and will be duly transferred to your name
6. Cars are located at Vasai and JNPT and can be inspected on your taking a prior appointment.
7. The company has no responsibility for servicing, warranty claims of any sort. The company is selling off surplus stock of cars lying at its Vasai and JNPT warehouses. The liability of the company is limited to the supply of the cars.
8. The price mentioned is inclusive of registration but exclusive of insurance.
9. Please revert to this email with
a. Your Name
b. Your Contact Information – Cell phone / email
c. Model Interested In
10. Cars are registered in MH
11. Subject to availability of car.
12. Prices mentioned at the end of this mail
13. Prices are non negotiable and are final prices.
14. For any queries please reply to the said email including above requested details

Now the specific advice I need on this matter is whether any one has actually dealt with them or have first-hand information from some friend, relative, colleague, etc. who has actually purchased any car from them and experience afterwards.
The deal is too mouthwatering as Honda City V-AT is being offered for 7.96 Lacs + Insurance + general servicing.
The cars have 0 mileage, Unregistered but will be regd first in company's name and then in the buyer's name at their cost.
You will be second owner technically. Mfg date is July 2011. Cars are lying in the yard since last 5-6 months.

Whether to take the plunge or not. Alternatives Honda City pre-facelift AT(10.5 lacs on road, Mumbai after discount) OR Honda City V-MT 2012 (10.08 lacs on Road Mumbai).

Thanks in Advance

PS: For other cars available, please contact them directly at surpluscarsforsale@gmail.com
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 18:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
1. No warranty and guarantee for the cars
Why there is no warranty on 2011 cars with 0 mileage. Something is wrong here. They could be discarded batch cars by Honda. But if that is true, it would be wrong for Honda to sell them through third party if they are not road worthy/not passed quality inspection.
Personally I would stay away form them and would rather buy a pre-owned car which has left with some warranty/extended warranty, even if it has done 10-20 k.

Last edited by Guna : 18th December 2011 at 18:43.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 18:37   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Surplus cars for sale. Honda City V-AT for 8 Lacs?

Peace of the mind is a wonderful thing. Really. You don't realise until you lose it. I have too many apprehensions about this deal. Primarily because:

- There is limited information on the company. Who are they?

- There is limited information on how they got these cars. Seriously, the Honda City is a respectable seller, and segment topper in many months. This can't be dead stock as the cars were moving in July 2011.

- Why is there no warranty on offer? Why will Honda refuse to offer coverage on these cars? My only guess is, these are refurbished cars that were damaged in transit (or similar). The dealer repaired & sold them on an as-is basis.

I'd recommend a pass. Atleast until more clarity is available on the situation.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Definitely stay away from a deal such as this. There are too many red flags that are thrown up, such as the lack of warranty, you being the second owner (affecting resale value and making this a used car with 0 mileage effectively). Why go for a deal that has so many question marks surrounding it? If you want a new car, buy a new car that's hassle free. If you want to save a bit, go for a used car that has a better history by the looks of it than this.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 19:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Definitely stay away from a deal such as this. There are too many red flags that are thrown up, such as the lack of warranty, you being the second owner (affecting resale value and making this a used car with 0 mileage effectively). Why go for a deal that has so many question marks surrounding it? If you want a new car, buy a new car that's hassle free. If you want to save a bit, go for a used car that has a better history by the looks of it than this.
Dear team bhpians,

Wish all of you Merry Christmas!

I wish to share this information: Commissioner of customs (exports), chennai phone no 044-25254236, is auctioning a bmw x5 suv on 23.12.2011! Their e-mail-id is eauctionunit@gmail.Com. Reference number of the same is "25254236mstc/sro/commissioner of customs (exports), chennai/8/chennai/11-12/7965(44629) ", within which, "lot 02/11 " described as "used bmw x5 car -1 no". Those interested may contact mstc and the customs asap.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2011 at 11:35. Reason: Please do not copy and paste formatted text
Old 18th December 2011, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have a fair idea what it is :

1. Cars get damaged in transit like truck over-turned.
2. Cars had transit insurance.
3. Honda claimed insurance and got money.
4. Cars are property of insurance company.
5. Insurance company sold the cars to a junk dealer/workshop having contacts in insurance company.
6. Junk dealer/workshop repair the car and sell it without any warranty.
7. Some of these workshops (not all, like in above case) give their own warranty instead of company warranty.

Have seen such zero mileage Hyundai i10/Santro cars with a workshop in Gurgaon
mukeshgoel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 19:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can see many agencies in many cities selling unused refrigerators, washing machines etc at lesser prices without any warranty on as is condition. These are transit damaged ones and are definitely unused and would work fine and warranty is not required as these are sold at 60 to70% actual price. These cars may also be on a similar kind of sale.

But mind you the car is not a washing machine and one can't allow 8 lacs to go to nought. So think twice befor taking a plunge.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 20:09   #8
SDP
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me, I don't even trust the so-called sub-dealers who typically match or offer better prices than dealers. Call me paranoid, but you never know how they procured the cars from the dealer and still able to offer competitive prices. At the same time, they still manage the warranty part.

In this case, even the warranty is not there. For a entry level car AND if the discount is really big like 50-60% AND if you are a risk-taker, possibly a deal like this would make sense.

For something like Honda City V-AT, I would rather pay the proper price and get a proper piece.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 20:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Personally I would stay away form them and would rather buy a pre-owned car which has left with some warranty/extended warranty, even if it has done 10-20 k.
Can't go for pre-owned one as it is to be bought my my F-I-L. He will go for one of the alternatives i.e. V-MT (2012), V-AT (pre-facelift) or this one. This Ad was seen by one of his friend and suggested to him just to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Peace of the mind is a wonderful thing. Really. You don't realise until you lose it. I have too many apprehensions about this deal. Primarily because:

- There is limited information on the company. Who are they?

- There is limited information on how they got these cars. Seriously, the Honda City is a respectable seller, and segment topper in many months. This can't be dead stock as the cars were moving in July 2011.

- Why is there no warranty on offer? Why will Honda refuse to offer coverage on these cars? My only guess is, these are refurbished cars that were damaged in transit (or similar). The dealer repaired & sold them on an as-is basis.

I'd recommend a pass. Atleast until more clarity is available on the situation.
Thanks, I started this thread with this purpose only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
If we read the mail, it is written no warranty and guarantee. Though I am 99% sure it means Honda, but yet to confirm whether only supplier is washing his hands but Honda may provide it. It is more of wishful thinking to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

5. Insurance company sold the cars to a junk dealer/workshop having contacts in insurance company.
7. Some of these workshops (not all, like in above case) give their own warranty instead of company warranty.

Thanks for more valuable insight. I think this is the most likely case. They have Civic, Jazz, Accord, Volvo S60, Hyundai i10, i20, Santro with them. They seem to had total 170 cars out of which 40 have been already sold. All Diesel cars are sold quickly. As per them cars have got normal dust, etc. Some cars (not all) even got some water seeped inside, which as per them due to window left slightly open (I would take this with pinch of salt). They have offered to sell Honda City V-AT for 7.96 including insurance (earlier it was excluding) and promised to deliver the car in showroom condition. They have about 10-15 ATs with them (some are Leather ones also), so in case we buy one, we have to check each one of them thoroughly and go for the best one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
But mind you the car is not a washing machine and one can't allow 8 lacs to go to nought. So think twice befor taking a plunge.
That is what exactly I am doing and thinking not twice but much much more (equal to no. of replies of this thread).

Now the latest information:
1. They have offered to give AT for 7.96 (incl insurance) against the earlier offer of 7.96 excl insurance.
2. I spoke to some sales person from one of Honda showrooms, he told that we won't be getting any guarantee from Honda. He also mentioned something about water getting inside in parked cars and those cars are sold by Honda also at 75% of the price and told me to check the underbody thoroughly for rust etc. He told any mechanic can do it.

Heart vs Mind debate:
No offense to anyone but what I am thinking is:
1. 2.5 Lacs is too good an amount to ignore. (But so is 8 Lacs).
2. If worse happens this 2.5 Lacs can be used for repairs. (Peace of Mind lost, always have that feeling of 'Lemon').
3. Honda Cars can't go wrong. (Simply challenging our Luck).
4. Servicing needed once or max twice a year. (Honda will provide it anyway).
5. Underbody and Carpets can be checked thoroughly for water seepage.
6. If we won't buy someone else will. (This is dangerous thinking, borderlining on greediness.)

One important thing : My F-I-L is very sedate driver, never goes past 60-70 and his average driving is 600 kms a month max. Car will be used for long term. Infact, we were waiting for facelift Honda launch, and just when it launched, this Ad thingy happening, so just observing all the options.
Comments welcome.

PS - I think someone from Honda who is also a T-BHP member can definitely help clear some air. Also as I mentioned in my first post, anyone having first hand experience can be of invaluable help.
Old 18th December 2011, 20:52   #10
BHPian

Carwatcher,

Why dont you go visit the place and do the inspection? If you can, take a Honda service mechanic with you - the visit can clear lot of your doubts and your personal interaction with the folks at the yard will yield more information.

Finance / bank siezed cars are a good deal. Just check everything personally.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 21:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

Whatever you have said is perfectly true, which is why they have to register the cars to their name and then transfer to the real owner. No insurance company will sell a car with blank T.O forms. These could be damaged cars. I would not go near them unless they give it to me for 6L or less since I know for sure they would have procured them for 5L or less. I would give it a pass too, since the new one with peace of mind costs only 2L more and an used one with very less mileage would come for the same price. Use your head on this one. 8L is a lot of money to gamble on a ruined car.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 21:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Carwatcher,

Why dont you go visit the place and do the inspection? If you can, take a Honda service mechanic with you - the visit can clear lot of your doubts and your personal interaction with the folks at the yard will yield more information.

Finance / bank siezed cars are a good deal. Just check everything personally.
As you can see I stay in Goa and yes I will do that once the picture clears. This additional info is gathered after my F-I-L visited their JNPT yard. He was kind of OK with the condition of the cars. AT was not there and is in Vasai. He may visit sometime soon. As he stays in South Mumbai, whole day is required for single trip to Vasai, so just gathering all the possible info. Today being Sunday, he couldn't meet the main or senior person. The info we gathered is by the security and other junior staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Whatever you have said is perfectly true, which is why they have to register the cars to their name and then transfer to the real owner. No insurance company will sell a car with blank T.O forms. These could be damaged cars. I would not go near them unless they give it to me for 6L or less since I know for sure they would have procured them for 5L or less. I would give it a pass too, since the new one with peace of mind costs only 2L more and an used one with very less mileage would come for the same price. Use your head on this one. 8L is a lot of money to gamble on a ruined car.
I think calling it ruined would be too strong a statement. It may be or may be not. You need guts to give an ad in paper like ToI to sell at such decent prices (decent from seller point of view).
Pricewise, they had mentioned its not negotiable, but they themselves added insurance when enquired. See its like, if you go now you will get to see all the cars or wait for the prices to drop but choose from leftovers.
I also feel that Petrol cars are losing favour very fast in the market and may not be sold very quickly. I am pretty sure thay they may reduce the price further but what if cars are sold out like Diesel ones.
One more option I feel worth considering is that if the sales for facelift Honda are not as expected and Honda offers some discount on them, but for that we have to wait for anytime between 3-6 months which we already have done for Facelift model. Therefore evaluating this 8 Lac offer so sincerely as we have to buy City by say 15 Jan (the delivery dates promised by Honda dealers).

Last edited by carwatcher : 18th December 2011 at 21:54.
Old 18th December 2011, 22:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I think calling it ruined would be too strong a statement. It may be or may be not.
I am sorry carwatcher, but if a car is scrapped (for whatever reasons) and the insurance company which would have paid 99% of the car's IDV to the manufacturer/dealer, then that car is certainly ruined for all practical purposes. This is evident in the fact that Honda treats these as 'out of warrranty' cars. We have to be practical in these situations and use our heads instead of greed take over for a couple of lakhs. Please reconsider.
esteem_lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 22:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't go for it. Not worth the hassle. Remember that Honda evaluated the cars to be not fit for regular sale. You may reason that you will use the 2.5L saved for potential repairs in future - but what about your time and car sitting in garage for months/weeks? I also feel the better cars among the lot will be sold to near and dear ones.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 22:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Carwatcher, the final decision is yours, and as such none of us have anything invested in your decision bar the fact that we want you to enjoy your ownership for sure. Team-BHP is a close-knit community and there are some very good reasons so many of us are asking you to walk away.

Sure, it sounds tempting, but an unfit car is an unfit car. Yes, money saved can be ploughed back into its repairs/service, but why sour your ownership experience? Get the most for your money, don't complicate matters by buying a potential lemon that even Honda has washed its hands of.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 18th December 2011 at 22:46. Reason: Typo
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed