Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 08:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
In Bangalore, there is a difference of 10 Lakhs between the on-road price of X1 exclusive and 520D. Also after the recent breakdown experience with our 5 series, I have decided to buy a car with proper ground clearance. And X3 is even more expensive than 520D so don't have budget for it. X1 facelift would be cool but it is take me well into 2013. I am OK with the lack of rear AC vents and plain jane dash and instruments.
I was about to suggest the X3, but you just mentioned that it is outside the budget

The X1 IMO, may satisfy the requirement of GC, but otherwise there is nothing much of an advantage there. Infact, with the launch of the new 3, X1 will be the most dated BMW on sale in India. Instead of the X1, my recommendation will be to wait for the new 3, do a TD and see if it works for you. And that should fit in the budget as well.

Alternate option: Why not check out the Volvo S60 or XC60? Check this thread from Anshuman.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-coming.html
Old 30th January 2012, 09:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Any particular reason why you are not willing to look at the Passat DSG or the Jetta Highline DSG for that matter?
Old 30th January 2012, 09:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Androdev, I think I mentioned this earlier in one of your threads but I would still comsider the Passat.

The interiors are way better than the X1, GC is not like an SUV but still the best in the segment and probably close to the X1.

For 30L highline, the Passat makes so much sense compared to the X1. 10L more for a X1 with that hard ride and cramped rear is just not worth it. I had a look at the Passat yesterday and straight away you realise the interiors are something special. The X1 just feels like a Corolla with the BMW badge.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 09:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Following are the main issues that are stopping me from buying X1 immediately:

1. I am hearing that GC of X1 is only marginally better than 3 series and it also has a low slung front bumper. None of the BMWs have proper underbody protection. This could be a real deal breaker.

2. Harsh ride at the back.

Some more issues (not deal breakers):
1. Yellow corona rings - well I don't want to buy a top-end car in 2012 and still get yellow corona rings.
2. Gearshift knob - feels old for 2012 especially considering how amazing the new one is.
3. Unlike current 3, X1 doesn't have a space saver and with its limited cargo space, difficult to carry a full-wheel spare. I bought a full wheel spare for the 5 series we have. If anyone is driving far from the city, a spare tire is an absolute must no matter what BMW tells you about run flats.
4. Front passenger airbag off is a key requirement for me (to put the child seat in the front when needed)
5. Even at 40L otr it feels a bit 'budget-ish" in spite of having all the goodies like xenon, panoramic sunroof, nice i-drive, etc.

All said and done, its biggest advantage is it truly drives like a sedan. I am not sure if there are any other high-GC vehicles that can come close to X1 when it comes to driving like a sedan.
1) I remember being told that the gc of the X1 is a substantial amount better than the 3, and not just a small amount.

2) Can be somewhat nullified if you change to tubeless tires just after delivery.

1) They don't look all that bad, infact look almost white in the day but yes very different from the LEDs on the 5. The 7 though still has yellow coronas

2) This will change when the X1 is facelifted and given the 8 speed.

3) The 3 doesn't have a space saver either, but has a little compartment for it inside the boot.

Again I agree with Vid, wait for the Q3 or get the Passat.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:45   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Androdev I will agree with Akshay in the fact that you will find the Audi Q3 much better than the X1. Apart from the BMW badging it has relatively nothing on offer in its lowest trim variant. And it is for all purposes a pseudo SUV - a 3 Series on Stilts. No 4WD and the seating in the rear is terrible. Makes one feel like one is "imprisoned" in a glass bubble.
I would,if I were you, just wait a couple more months for the Q3, negotiate hard with the dealers and just buy it! You wont regret it.
For me, whenever I plan to upgrade the Yeti, my hopeful choice is going to be one of the three below:
1. Audi Q3 Quattro 2 litre diesel.
2. Volvo XC60 (instead of D5 AWD a D3 AWD maybe??!! and if it is available slightly cheaper by then)
3. Skoda Yeti L&K 170 BHP with DSG and panoramic sunroof and all the fiddlies - if it is available by then!

Having gotten used to Euro Luxe in the form of the Yeti, nothing less will do, going forward. Just hope Im in the financial situation to be able to afford the Champagne dreams!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Androdev I will agree with Akshay in the fact that you will find the Audi Q3 much better than the X1. Apart from the BMW badging it has relatively nothing on offer in its lowest trim variant. And it is for all purposes a pseudo SUV - a 3 Series on Stilts. No 4WD and the seating in the rear is terrible. Makes one feel like one is "imprisoned" in a glass bubble.
I would,if I were you, just wait a couple more months for the Q3, negotiate hard with the dealers and just buy it! You wont regret it.
For me, whenever I plan to upgrade the Yeti, my hopeful choice is going to be one of the three below:
1. Audi Q3 Quattro 2 litre diesel.
2. Volvo XC60 (instead of D5 AWD a D3 AWD maybe??!! and if it is available slightly cheaper by then)
3. Skoda Yeti L&K 170 BHP with DSG and panoramic sunroof and all the fiddlies - if it is available by then!

Having gotten used to Euro Luxe in the form of the Yeti, nothing less will do, going forward. Just hope Im in the financial situation to be able to afford the Champagne dreams!
One of the main reasons why I dropped Yeti was it did not come in L&K trim and I know I would be missing all the stuff I got used to. So base trim X1 was never an option and the only reason x1 was considered because it is the only high-GC car with AT, xenons, Panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. but it is not a car that encourages you to part with 40L that easily.

Coming to Q3 - I am a bit skeptical that they might not spec it as well as X1 and yet keep it priced reasonably. You know Audi right - they charge an arm and leg for "Quattro + DSG" combination. The Q3 mmi (their idrive) is the budget variant of mmi. Their luxury mmi control knob is next to gear shift lever where as the budget mmi has the control knob on the dash.

But looks like I do not have courage to part with 40L without seeing Q3 and new 3 series. That is for sure.
Old 30th January 2012, 13:32   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

High GC - wont we all just kill for a vehicle which has this singular aspect? Given the state of our roads that is!

If you have 40 L as a budget you may want to even consider the base level Freelander2 with the terrain response system. That comes to about 44L on road, Bangalore! Or the Volvo XC60 D5 AWD which is bigger than the Yeti and full of kit and which comes to about 40 ish on road Bangalore as far as I know!

But this is way out of my current league so for me at least, these are only pipe dreams as of now.

Else at 27 lacs, you may even want to consider the Koleos as a sort of Euro/Korean/Japanese compromise or possibly the Santa Fe at 29Lacs! Maybe the Captiva AWD or even 2WD because it is a super vehicle in many ways. Its for sure that around the 20-24 lac mark there is absolutely nothing you will want - the Fortuner is too large and the Chevy Trailblazer/ Korando C etc are too far off for comfort and anyway they are not even Euro derived.

Quote:
One of the main reasons why I dropped Yeti was it did not come in L&K trim and I know I would be missing all the stuff I got used to. So base trim X1 was never an option and the only reason x1 was considered because it is the only high-GC car with AT, xenons, Panoramic sunroof, iDrive, etc. but it is not a car that encourages you to part with 40L that easily.

Coming to Q3 - I am a bit skeptical that they might not spec it as well as X1 and yet keep it priced reasonably. You know Audi right - they charge an arm and leg for "Quattro + DSG" combination. The Q3 mmi (their idrive) is the budget variant of mmi. Their luxury mmi control knob is next to gear shift lever where as the budget mmi has the control knob on the dash.

But looks like I do not have courage to part with 40L without seeing Q3 and new 3 series. That is for sure.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th January 2012 at 13:33.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
High GC - wont we all just kill for a vehicle which has this singular aspect? Given the state of our roads that is!

If you have 40 L as a budget you may want to even consider the base level Freelander2 with the terrain response system. That comes to about 44L on road, Bangalore! Or the Volvo XC60 D5 AWD which is bigger than the Yeti and full of kit and which comes to about 40 ish on road Bangalore as far as I know!

But this is way out of my current league so for me at least, these are only pipe dreams as of now.

Else at 27 lacs, you may even want to consider the Koleos as a sort of Euro/Korean/Japanese compromise or possibly the Santa Fe at 29Lacs! Maybe the Captiva AWD or even 2WD because it is a super vehicle in many ways. Its for sure that around the 20-24 lac mark there is absolutely nothing you will want - the Fortuner is too large and the Chevy Trailblazer/ Korando C etc are too far off for comfort and anyway they are not even Euro derived.
Shankar, I am no SUV guy :-) Even if I win an SUV like Fortuner in a lottery, I will be exchanging it for something else. Just that my desperation for GC has pushed me into this crossover segment. I like the x1 except for its relative-oldness and harsh-ride. If Q3 comes across as fresh and comfortable, then I will be a happy man.

I know lot of people complain that X1 is just a raised 3, but that is exactly what I want - raised 3, raised 5, raised Superb, etc.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but that is exactly what I want - raised 3, raised 5, raised Superb, etc.
Superb is already raised, it comes with the rough road package for some countries like ours which has slightly different suspension tune, more GC and underbody protection.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Won't superb, passat etc have poor effective GC considering they have long wheel base? I like VW group cars for their excellent rough road package - my Laura was like a tank in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Superb is already raised, it comes with the rough road package for some countries like ours which has slightly different suspension tune, more GC and underbody protection.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Won't superb, passat etc have poor effective GC considering they have long wheel base? I like VW group cars for their excellent rough road package - my Laura was like a tank in this respect.
I have not spent much time with a Passat but Superb even with super long wheelbase it does not pose any GC problems, plus it comes with proper underbody protection not some paper cardboard types which BMWs have.

Laura is anyday better suited for bad roads than the X1.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:59   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep the X1 GC is not much better than that of the 3 Series, and if you were to drive the X1 and 3 Series back to back then would probably love the 3 Series drive a lot more.

The GC of Q3 too is not likely to be much different from that of the X1 and so though the peace of mind from GC is what you are looking for what you will actually get is just higher seating and better front visibility and a more massive looking vehicle.

The New 3 Series is out here in India and a lot is shown lying in the customs so the new one may not be too far away.

The Audi A4 vs the 3 Series - if you do go down that path. The A4 allows for higher seating the car seat rises much more and of course comes with the full undercover protection pack. Not that much of a divers car but definately better than the X1 which comes with marginally more GC.

Nope none of the affordable Lux badge crossovers have too much GC and for that you need to go to the 5 series / A6 equivalents - X3, Q5, M Class and that is taking the price a bit further ahead along with the height.

Nope the above rant will not help you in making a selection but just lays it out the way it is. - You can get the both Top end A4 2.0 TDI or the Top end 3 Series (with the 5 year secure pack covering runflats and accidents) for about 32L.

If you feel the Laura handles bad roads better than the X1 you will simply love the A4 ride, and also the drive in relation to the Laura.

Last edited by ACM : 30th January 2012 at 15:01.
Old 30th January 2012, 15:13   #28
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep the X1 GC is not much better than that of the 3 Series, and if you were to drive the X1 and 3 Series back to back then would probably love the 3 Series drive a lot more.
X1 gc is 193 mm and 3 Series is 161 mm. 30mm + certainly make life easier on big humps. Also the seating high difference is significant. X1 almost drives like sedan.

Last edited by v&v : 30th January 2012 at 15:20.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 15:31   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Recently a colleague of mine bought herself an Audi A4 after test driving the X1 and the 3 Series. She felt the A4 gave here visibility but over the 3 Series but relatively felt the X1 sterring to be too stiff and the vehicle to be too non car like in refinement.

I was actually suggesting the X1 from the better visibility point of view (rather than better GC) but she preferred the A4 from the seat height adjustment angle and overall comfort. (Besides the X1 & 3 Series are due for midlife/full update soon.)

In real life the 30 mm does not make that much of a difference in my view - It is somehow kind of like the Innova and the Safari GC difference. One is able to offroad not just on account of the GC but the entry and exit angles as well as the tyre size and type itself besides the 4WD stuff where the X1 with 2WD is say relatively to even the Yeti just a sedan on heels. (Heels that compromise the sedan like drive that an A4 / 3 Series will provide.)

Last edited by ACM : 30th January 2012 at 15:35.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 15:32   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Nope the above rant will not help you in making a selection but just lays it out the way it is. - You can get the both Top end A4 2.0 TDI or the Top end 3 Series (with the 5 year secure pack covering runflats and accidents) for about 32L.
The ex showroom of those 2 cars is the price mentioned above, no chance its possible anywhere to get those cars for 32l on the road
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks