Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 11:50   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

That is really expensive for a car that is not too loaded, and with the base engine. Both those engines are going to be pretty boring to drive, and considering you will use this car for a few out of town trips I would say forget it.

On the other hand I remember you leaving out the C250cdi because at that time you were looking at the Passat price bracket. I think that would be worth a good look. Its got a much more powerful engine and would be 10l cheaper than the E200cgi. Its also fully loaded and has the panoramic roof which neither the E200 or 220 has. It will be a little short on space compared to the E but is really not bad at all. The ride quality is almost as good. I honestly don't feel the E200 or 220 offers anything that makes it worth 10l more than a C.

What say?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th February 2012 at 11:52.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 12:26   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hunt for Skoda Laura L&K replacement - will it be BMW X1? No! It's the Mercedes S350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is really expensive for a car that is not too loaded, and with the base engine. Both those engines are going to be pretty boring to drive, and considering you will use this car for a few out of town trips I would say forget it.

On the other hand I remember you leaving out the C250cdi because at that time you were looking at the Passat price bracket. I think that would be worth a good look. Its got a much more powerful engine and would be 10l cheaper than the E200cgi. Its also fully loaded and has the panoramic roof which neither the E200 or 220 has. It will be a little short on space compared to the E but is really not bad at all. The ride quality is almost as good. I honestly don't feel the E200 or 220 offers anything that makes it worth 10l more than a C.

What say?
E 200 CGI is really nice to drive. Of course E class by itself doesn't urge you to drive aggressively like a BMW does - but E 200 CGI has its own charm and it is a very relaxing drive but not boring by no means. I immediately developed a liking to it and it would be hard to choose between 520D and E200 CGI - both are different and both are good in their own way.

E 220 CDI on the other hand is strictly for the chauffeur. Worse, you will dread your friends asking for a "spin" - because there is no "spin" in it. 520D is way better to drive in comparison.

Given that I like E 200 CGI, buying a new one would make it more expensive than E 220 CDI and 520 D, etc. which these days is frowned up on. So I was thinking a discounted E 200 CGI is justifiable

Low-end E/5/A6 is better value than top-end C/3/A4 for my family-oriented usage - and the difference between low-end E and top-end C is not 10L maybe 5L I think.

The front of E is really working its way on me :-)
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 16:29   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Androdev,
Why don't you also consider Land Rover Evoque..? Evoque is a really mindblowing car and the one I have my heart all out for.. unfortunately, I don't have the M factor for putting down the 55 L! I am hoping that one day they will start assembling it in India (planned Nov 2012) instead of the CBU import and then it will come in the 35L range and then we will be able to afford it!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th February 2012 at 16:47.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 01:33   #79
BHPian

Hi Androdev,
Why no new updates?
Which car you finally went for?
Old 9th March 2012, 13:16   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
Hi Androdev,
Why no new updates?
Which car you finally went for?
I guess I am not meant to be buying a new car. I gave a booking amount of 20L to Merc dealer (Sundaram in Bangalore) after they confirmed that they will get me a E350 CDI with panoramic roof of Palladium Silver color. It has been two weeks and they are not sure they can get it for me anytime soon. So I just asked them to refund the money for the time being. The refund is taking longer than I hoped which is another point of irritation.

I liked E350 CDI and I am a huge fan of sunroof/panoramic roof - but the dealer has really disappointed me by making me wait for two weeks without any update on the availability. I know the dealer is not paying any games with me as unfortunately Mercedes itself is not offering much choice for E350 CDI + Pano and I am very picky with the color combination.

I pulled the trigger once, but I am not too enthusiastic about pulling the trigger again. Maybe I will resume in the new financial year!
Old 9th March 2012, 15:07   #81
BHPian

If you are interested in the ML350 CDI, Merc has great deals going on now. It should roughly cost the same or a bit lower than the E350 CDI.
Old 11th March 2012, 07:39   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
If you are interested in the ML350 CDI, Merc has great deals going on now. It should roughly cost the same or a bit lower than the E350 CDI.
After TD'ing and sitting in few cars I have realized that I prefer sedans to SUV/crossovers. So right now E seems like a good fit for my requirements. And there is generally a universal acceptance of E at home compared to other options. I just hope E doesn't come with a massive facelift soon after I buy it - something like all new S-class tech introduced in E facelift.

I am also debating between the two options:
1. keep current 520D and buy new E350-CDI - costs about 62L
2. exchange 520D for 530D (22 to 30L) and buy an old-stock-2010-but-new-car-not-demo-car E200 CGI they have for 40L (otr is 51L) - total cost about 62 - 70L

I prefer the first option - except that I am not getting the E350 that I want and the facelift of E is a concern.

Last edited by androdev : 11th March 2012 at 07:59.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 12:47   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

I am also debating between the two options:
1. keep current 520D and buy new E350-CDI - costs about 62L
2. exchange 520D for 530D (22 to 30L) and buy an old-stock-2010-but-new-car-not-demo-car E200 CGI they have for 40L (otr is 51L) - total cost about 62 - 70L

I prefer the first option - except that I am not getting the E350 that I want and the facelift of E is a concern.
Honestly option 2 makes more sense. The Bimmer is a better drivers car, so having that with the more powerful engine would be more fun for you. The E350cdi, while quick and torque is not as much fun or ask quick as the 530d. Also the 530d has quite a few features which make it a good buy.

Since the E is the more comfortable car, and will be used for your family with the chauffeur driving around the 200 would not make a difference, and as you anyway said you liked the drive there is no issue.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 21:54   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Honestly option 2 makes more sense. The Bimmer is a better drivers car, so having that with the more powerful engine would be more fun for you. The E350cdi, while quick and torque is not as much fun or ask quick as the 530d. Also the 530d has quite a few features which make it a good buy.

Since the E is the more comfortable car, and will be used for your family with the chauffeur driving around the 200 would not make a difference, and as you anyway said you liked the drive there is no issue.
I have asked the BMW guys to give me a quote for exchange. Waiting to hear from them. If I get to upgrade to 530D with 5yr+100K BSI for 25L, I will consider it. From what I could gather, they are in 30L range of exchange price. 530D is phenomenally loaded - HUD, Nav, rear-view camera, rear-seat-entertainment just to name a few.

I test drove S350 CDI (I know I am all over the place and I feel borderline stupid). This car is huuuge, though doesn't feel so while driving but parking is surely going to take some practice. Acres of space everywhere - I actually have to stretch to reach the controls in the back seat. They have a demo car (8K km, less than a year) which I offered to take at 80L - against an asking price of 90L. The new one costs 112L in Bangalore before any discounts. I know a new S is around the corner but I don't mind this car at 80L - it is really a special car.

I have a feeling it might be the S - just worried that my kids will rip off all those hundred switches in the car. They are surely kid-magnets.
Old 13th March 2012, 01:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

E and then S for a Laura replacement !!!!!!??? This thread seriously needs a name change !!

I've got no experience with cars such as these, but .. you have driver(s) you can trust with a S?
Old 13th March 2012, 05:29   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
E and then S for a Laura replacement !!!!!!??? This thread seriously needs a name change !!

I've got no experience with cars such as these, but .. you have driver(s) you can trust with a S?
I know, neither Laura nor X1 is relevant any more. It is now down to buying a 2nd luxury sedan given that thee is a 520D in the family. I started off by looking at a segment lower than 520D which was truly meant to replace the Laura. But somehow "rationalized" myself into buying a segment higher than 520D. If new 530D/E350 costs close to 65L, a bit of stretch puts me in a discounted/sparingly-used S range. I hope I will be forgiven for my greed this being a car forum

Yeah, drivers are trust worthy. Reliability of these high-end cars is a bigger worry than drivers, traffic, etc.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 12:28   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Going to pull the trigger today on a S350 petrol. Bit of an old stock (but new) being offered at a reasonable discount - on road 92.5L with 2.5L petro card thrown in. Waiting beyond Mar-31 will kill me, so pulling the trigger (sic!) before Mar-31.
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 12:45   #88
Team-BHP Support

Daamn, from where to where have you gone? Congrats though, the S is the ultimate when it comes to comfort, and the 350 isn't that bad when you decide to drive too.
Old 29th March 2012, 13:00   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going to pull the trigger today on a S350 petrol. Bit of an old stock (but new) being offered at a reasonable discount - on road 92.5L with 2.5L petro card thrown in. Waiting beyond Mar-31 will kill me, so pulling the trigger (sic!) before Mar-31.
Pulling a trigger? I think you are firing a cannon!!!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 13:01   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow I could never imagine that an upgrade to a Skoda Laura would be a S350!!!

That is one helluva upgrade man.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks