Enfield Electra 5s 7 70.00%
KTM Duke 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Help needed : Hero Impulse or Enfield Electra 350

Hey people,

Posting this on behalf of a friend. He is not a member, but an avid follower of Bhp.

I have a Ford Ikon diesel as my daily drive. The car has served me well in the city and has also been featured on a travelogue here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-peo-ikon.html

The biking bug has now hit me and I want to go to unexplored places on two wheels. The bike will strictly be used for weekend rides, occassional night riding in Delhi, and 2-3 long trips (Ladakh/ Jaisalmer etc.) in a year.

Over time, I might also be going for some OTR trips.

The dilemma is simple: Impulse or an Electra

Electra:
+ves
Thump, stability, comfort over long distance
-ves
Heavy (not sure if I (5.6/ 70 kg/ medium build) will be able to handle it in a Ladakh like terrain.) Have already fallen off once from my bro's bullet in 2009.
Expensive

Impulse
+ves
Seems built for offroading, good first and second ratios, Easy to handle
-ves
The engine seems underpowered on highway speeds
Comfort over long distance is a ?
At INR 77000 on road Delhi, its almost on the Bullet territory.

Tapish: I advised him for an Electra, but since I myself am a novice on bike matters, I solicit the help of bike gurus here.

Many thanks,
Tapish
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Help needed : Hero Impulse or Enfield Electra 350

I am confused, is this bike for you or your friend? You have mentioned your inclination to own one and you ave also given your details height, weight etc. However, considering its you, for your personality and temperament (which I am only assuming) I would say you need to look at KTM Duke, IMHO this bike is most apt for off and on road tips. I know the GC is not really low but the silencer is places very low and might cause concern over water wading but you have an option to change it and they provide conventional one too. Think about it. One of Tbhp members here Dr. from Pune has both Bullet and KTM. Do you research on this.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hey people,

Posting this on behalf of a friend. He is not a member, but an avid follower of Bhp.

Tapish: I advised him for an Electra, but since I myself am a novice on bike matters, I solicit the help of bike gurus here.

Many thanks,
Tapish

It's kind of a no brainer here. The answer is simple, go for the Bullet!
If you are planning for rides to places like Ladakh, the Impulse just does not cut in. Thanks to it's woefully underpowered engine
I've ridden an Impulse and it seems ok for some street fun. But strap up your baggage and belongings needed for a long trip and you'll be cursing your choice!

Yes it looks the part. If only they had plonked in a Karizma motor here. Sigh!
The positives of a Bullet, when compared, to mention a few are:

More weight= More stability
More torque= Less strain
More luggage carrying capacity (Add two "delhi carriers" and you can probably cart your home along with you )

Go for the bullet, you'll never once regret it!

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd May 2012 at 16:12.
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I am confused, is this bike for you or your friend? You have mentioned your inclination to own one and you ave also given your details height, weight etc. However, considering its you, for your personality and temperament (which I am only assuming) I would say you need to look at KTM Duke,
The bike is for my friend, the particulars are also his. I shall research about the Duke. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
It's kind of a no brainer here. The answer is simple, go for the Bullet!
If you are planning for rides to places like Ladakh, the Impulse just does not cut in.Go for the bullet, you'll never once regret it!
Thanks, The bull indeed figures high on the list.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:34   #5
BHPian

As Zulfi has mentioned the KTM Duke also makes a good choice. But, your friend would have to stretch his budget quite a bit
And another issue would be roadside assistance in places like Ladakh. God forbid the KTM breaks down, many roadside mechs would not know head or tail as to how to fix the hi-tech bike.
On the other side, if it's a Bullet, you can fix it yourself
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
As Zulfi has mentioned the KTM Duke also makes a good choice. But, your friend would have to stretch his budget quite a bit
And another issue would be roadside assistance in places like Ladakh. God forbid the KTM breaks down, many roadside mechs would not know head or tail as to how to fix the hi-tech bike.
On the other side, if it's a Bullet, you can fix it yourself
Thanks Aadith. I personally am inclined more towards the Electra. However, Have added a poll for a final yes.

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Didn't get the logic in question, apologies for that.

Bullet lovers don't ask questions, they buy Bullet in-spite of the whole world conspiring against them. Bullet lovers do not compare Bullet with any other bikes that are in the market, logic (When it come to Bullet) does not work for them. If you are one of them, then you wont be happy with any other bike than Bullet.

If not then i would recommend not to buy Bullet and look elsewhere, as there are technically better, faster and leaner bikes available in the market.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Between these two i may chose the bullet. But again i may look at all other options before going the electra way.

For highway crusing the 350 electra is still underpowered while the new 500 is just a stunning piece of machinary.

I would advice you to stretch from 350 electra to get the new 500 which is one of the finest and the fastest bullet i have ever rode.

I have the old 500 and can say the new 500 will eat the old 500 at every possible parameter. The torque and the pick up is so addictive and crusing at 100KMPH is a easy task for the new 500.

Only problem is the reliability and repairability on road side shops. If the engine is reliable and proven this new 500 is the bike that one shuould get from the RE stable.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 11:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Bullet lovers don't ask questions, they buy Bullet in-spite of the whole world conspiring against them. Bullet lovers do not compare Bullet with any other bikes that are in the market, logic (When it come to Bullet) does not work for them. If you are one of them, then you wont be happy with any other bike than Bullet.
Thanks Mayank, the sole point was that despite being bullet lovers, if we cant take it to Ladakh for handling issues, the love goes waste. I believe we need to check this point with a thorough test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Between these two i may chose the bullet. But again i may look at all other options before going the electra way.
I would advice you to stretch from 350 electra to get the new 500 which is one of the finest and the fastest bullet i have ever rode.
Thanks, mate! However, a 500 will be really heavy on the pocket for weekend/ leisure use. If we come across a good used 500, we will definitely consider it.

Thanks guys, the opinion seems to be tilted towards the Bull. Makes my job easier.

Shall update this as things progress.

Cheers,
Tapish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks