Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 16:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Outgoing BMW 320d vs New Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Dual clutch gearbox in the BMW 320d - thats new!!!
LOL Apologies! Don't know what was I thinking my when I typed that If possible, please correct my post

*The single robotized clutch! (in layman's term)

PS: I remember the BMW folks (Bird Automobile sales representative) once told me it had a dual clutch gearbox (which is not the case) so probably got little confused!
Old 19th June 2012, 16:11   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
PS: I remember the BMW folks (Bird Automobile sales representative) once told me it had a dual clutch gearbox (which is not the case) so probably got little confused!
The current 320d comes with a torque converter type 6 speed AT, the next gen will come with the ZF8 AT which again is a torque converter type transmission but easily the best around.

M3 comes with a dual clutch auto.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th June 2012 at 17:58.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 00:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
just get a used 2011 320d, infiniti may have a couple on sale and/or check navnit as well. As you are eventually looking at the E class in 2013. Should save you quite a bit, however if its a new car you need, would certainly consider the new A4, save the lazy CVT transmission, atleast you wont get that feeling of "oh i should have waited till August" for the new 3 Series, when you see one post the launch..
I know! That is what I'm worried about, the 'Oh I should have waited till august!' regret.
But as AdiSinghV12 said, the E-Class would be a proper chauffeur-driven car, so the second car should have some Fun to Drive aspect!
And I don't want to wait till august, so the current 320d fits the bill perfectly I guess.
And how can I ignore the huge discounts that I'm getting!

Only thing nagging me was, would the 330i Sports be better than the 320d exclusive?
Old 20th June 2012, 14:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopsk293 View Post
I know! That is what I'm worried about, the 'Oh I should have waited till august!' regret.
But as AdiSinghV12 said, the E-Class would be a proper chauffeur-driven car, so the second car should have some Fun to Drive aspect!
And I don't want to wait till august, so the current 320d fits the bill perfectly I guess.

Only thing nagging me was, would the 330i Sports be better than the 320d exclusive?
I'm in a similar dilemma with a slightly lower budget though. However in light of the fact that there are huge discounts available on a new outgoing model. Wouldn't it make sense buying a new outgoing 320d as opposed to an a used one? (Say a 2011 High line) especially from the resale perspective? In the sense, if I plan to sell my 320d in 2014, which scenario are you likely to lose more money. Won't a used 2011 high line 2nd owner be more difficult to sell than say a 320d dynamic 1st owner 2011?

Assuming the the discounts are still what they were a month back according to the new car price check thread ( 27 OTR for a Dynamic). The Infiniti guy called me as well and quoted 25 negotiable for the 2011 Highline
Old 20th June 2012, 16:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

I dont know which of the 2 you finally opted for but since you speak of the facelifted E , just thought i should add , do test drive the new A6 if you are open to other brands it really does everything remarkably well. Very comfortable and reasonably fun to drive as well & if you consider the top of the line diesel then SERIOUSLY fast ! (quicker than the corresponding bmw,merc and jaguar).
Good luck
Old 21st June 2012, 01:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I dont know which of the 2 you finally opted for but since you speak of the facelifted E , just thought i should add , do test drive the new A6 if you are open to other brands it really does everything remarkably well. Very comfortable and reasonably fun to drive as well & if you consider the top of the line diesel then SERIOUSLY fast ! (quicker than the corresponding bmw,merc and jaguar).
Good luck
Actually my dad has his sights set on the new E-Class.
I have nearly finalised the 320d Exclusive. Price negotiations are going on now.
Hoping to conclude in a few days or so...
But still, thanks!
Old 27th June 2012, 01:09   #22
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help!!

I have booked the BMW 320D Exclusive in Deep Sea Blue colour.

Expecting to get the delivery in a week.

I will post a lot of pictures once I get the car!!
Old 27th June 2012, 23:43   #23

Hey swopsk293
Congratulations on your buy!
Since you have just taken a decision maybe you could help me.

I am in negotiation with a BMW dealer in Mumbai for the 320d.
Confusion is deciding between the 'Dynamic with M Sports package' and 'Exclusive without a sport package'.
Price difference between the two is around 100,000/-
The M Sports package definitely looks awesome but the Exclusive has certain nice features.
How did you take your decision to buy the Exclusive? Were you offered the M Sports?

Looking forward to your and other Bhpians reply helping me take my decision.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbayite View Post
Hey swopsk293
Congratulations on your buy!
Since you have just taken a decision maybe you could help me.

Confusion is deciding between the 'Dynamic with M Sports package' and 'Exclusive without a sport package'.
The M Sports package definitely looks awesome but the Exclusive has certain nice features.
How did you take your decision to buy the Exclusive? Were you offered the M Sports?

Hey!! I wasn't offered the M Sports Package, but I got the Exclusive for 33 lacs in Mumbai.
If you are going for an expensive car like this, it makes sense to have all the features like sun-roof and xenon lights.
You can always have the M Sports Package retrofitted if you want, but i'm not sure if you can get the xenons fitted later on.
Hope this helped. Do ask if you have any other queries.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopsk293 View Post

Hi there!

Right choice for a guy, i'd say. You will not regret the 20d, but their 6-cyl's are a different league. It may sound a bit exaggerated but their good old 6-cyl's on the 325i and the currently sold 330i are designed in 'cybertron' I'm just talking about their inline 6's.

Similarly, the earlier hydraulic assist would blow your socks off. The current outgoing one is not bad either. You would have seen during your test drive in how they have subtly managed to resolve the low-speed heavy feel on the steering to pitch in more sales.

The discounts are surely tempting and the dashboard is also elegantly well-balanced with the iDrive having a factory-fit look, more visible wood on the dash and the pedestal, DRLs and running rings with varying shades and not to miss the hood. The outgoing hood after the facelift a few years ago is also truly balanced with the rest of the bodywork. It's time to Bangle-up your life a bit.

Good or bad,...,the F30 would impress a few but I wish these new designers at Munich do not end up cutting these rings into a straight line in a few years

I'm sure you would have looked up the new 3 online for a straight impression. I drove it last month in the UK. The iDrive was the biggest disappointment to be out of the dash and seriously looks aftermarket. The wood is reduced everywhere and the confused Z4 bonnet just doesn't match the bodywork if you start looking at it in flesh from various angles with your head tilted and so on. I drove it with an unbiased view. Yet, I did not find the drive so remarkably different as people are claiming on overdrive and the car-n-bike show. Either way, the driver centric hydraulic steering is something else altogether. It'll never come back sadly. Don't worry, the current one and the new one are not bad.

Of course, the ECO PRO mode, diff suspension settings and the new headlamp shape(not the rings) are a breather.

All said and done, since your drive of the 20d, that smile on your face would stick on and remember..even a new facelift would become old in a couple of years and a new design would get a facelift in a couple of years or so.

Enjoy the BMW.

Pictures at the earliest please...
Old 29th June 2012, 17:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusA340 View Post
I'm sure you would have looked up the new 3 online for a straight impression. I drove it last month in the UK. The iDrive was the biggest disappointment to be out of the dash and seriously looks aftermarket. The wood is reduced everywhere and the confused Z4 bonnet just doesn't match the bodywork if you start looking at it in flesh from various angles with your head tilted and so on. I drove it with an unbiased view. Yet, I did not find the drive so remarkably different as people are claiming on overdrive and the car-n-bike show. Either way, the driver centric hydraulic steering is something else altogether. It'll never come back sadly. Don't worry, the current one and the new one are not bad.

Of course, the ECO PRO mode, diff suspension settings and the new headlamp shape(not the rings) are a breather.
Adding to what you said, I recently drove a brand new, 116Ti (2012 model) over 800kms in Germany, just to find out that its bad. Seating position and ride are fine, but the electronic steering is just bad. It is very reactive, but never get a feeling of driving, it has lost the feeling of being a BMW. Clutch was too heavy and as you rightly said, the new bonnet caused lots of problems while parking. I hate the headlight design, although the rings(technically square) is still there, but, somehow it never gave me the appeal as the outgoing version has.

So Swopsk293, you are among the few lucky ones to enjoy the good real BMW. All the best and happy miles.
Old 29th June 2012, 19:09   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbayite View Post

Take the exclusive. The extra features certainly make the car feel much more expensive. Also like someone mentioned, you can get the M sport package fitted later.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:11   #28
BHPian

AlphaKilo and AirbusA340, Thanks for your kind words about the current 320D.

I will be getting the delivery on saturday evening or monday at the latest.
Will post as many pictures as I can at the earliest.
Old 5th July 2012, 09:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Do check this out -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...re-follow.html

PM me if interested
Old 5th July 2012, 12:45   #30
BHPian

Definitely interested...
But unfortunately I can't PM you since I am a newbie, Don't have that option!

Could we communicate in any alternate way instead?

Most Viewed