Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2012, 04:28   #1
BHPian

Outgoing BMW 320d vs New Audi A4

Hello! I was looking to buy a ~30 Lac car in the next week or so.
I am confused between the outgoing BMW 320d (New BMW 3 Series coming in august I heard) and the new facelifted Audi A4 which was released recently.

BMW 320d -
Pros:
1. The legendary BMW driving experience
2. Significant discounts on the price

Cons:
1. The car will become the 'old 3 Series' in about 2 months time, when they release the 'All New 3 Series'.

Audi A4 -
Pros:
1. Facelifted new look.
2. Most spacious cabin in its class

Cons -
1. Not much discounts as compared to the BMW

Please suggest me as to which car I should go for. I'm really confused.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Outgoing BMW 320d vs New Audi A4

I'd go for the the BMW 320d on any given day over this Audi A4 2.0 TDI. It now comes with a huge discount, a considerable amount to pick the older gen. Anyways new A4 is not an all new model, just a midlife facelift.

Even considering drive experience, 320d vs A4 2.0 TDI, they are worlds apart, in comparison 320d is lightning quick and offers very involving drive experience which the A4 misses out completely. FWD and the lazy CVT makes the choice even easier against A4.

Since you are in market, also try out the Mercedes C250 CDI and Volvo S60.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th June 2012 at 10:12.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

It all depends on what your looking for. If its going to be driven by you, and you want a good driving experience then its gotta be the 3. If you want a slightly more space, with better looking interiors, then its the A4.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:27   #4
BHPian

Actually the BMW/Audi is a temporary buy, since I am waiting till they launch the new 2013 E-Class in India.

So I think the driver-centric design of the BMW is definitely a big plus point here, not to mention the discounts they are ready to give.

Could anyone possibly suggest me as to how much of a discount I should be expecting?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-bmw-320d.html
He got a very tempting discount a few months back as I see.
Old 16th June 2012, 13:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

2013 E class will just be a midlife facelift over the current version, not an all new car.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 13:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopsk293
He got a very tempting discount a few months back as I see.
You may or may not get similar discount. It all depends on your location and demand-supply equation.

Presently the discounts are down to 50% of what Sajit managed in NCR. Apparently very few 320d kits remain in inventory with exclusive edition almost sold out so no discount on that and very limited choices.

Few points to consider for new 320d:
- it will be slightly longer, more 5-Series inspired rear, so looks a little lost in identity crisis unlike solid character of present 3 series.

- 8 speed gearbox instead of current 6, consider this if you drive frequently on expressways for long drive.

- dashboard design doesn't look driver centric as in present.

- It will have full electronic steering (not hybrid like in present) so cornering may be slightly difference experience as compared to legendary existing 3-series experience.

- suspension is being de-tuned for comfort rather than sportiness, so good for back benchers and disappointment for enthusiast drivers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 16th June 2012 at 13:25.
Old 16th June 2012, 16:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

If its a temporary buy, forget both since you will take a big hit with resale. Buy the present E class now, and you will get a good offer to upgrade to the newer one when it comes out. Get an E250cdi now, it will suffice till the facelift comes out, and Mercedes themselves should offer you a good deal when you want to change.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 14:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I find the 320d too old, cramped & stiff (ride) while the Audi A4 has that awfully lazy CVT transmission. Reliability issues aside, the Mercedes C250 is clearly the pick of the segment. Only downer are the potential issues & Merc's limited warranty & service packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If its a temporary buy, forget both since you will take a big hit with resale. Buy the present E class now, and you will get a good offer to upgrade to the newer one when it comes out.
A C250 CDI will suffer an even lower depreciation hit than the E250, Merc buyback offer et al.

My Advice:

- Buy the current E350 if that's the car you really want. Lots of discounts too. Be sure to test the 525d / 530d before signing on the dotted line. The BMW 5 is a truly magical sedan.

- If you want to wait for the 2013 E350, then buy a used 320d. There are so many of them in the used market for great prices. Buying used means minimal hit on depreciation.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 17:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

If it’s a temporary buy why to go for a brand new outgoing 320d (or the facelifted A4)?
As GTO mentioned, going with a used number make sense. Probably it’s a good idea to check this listing from BMW premium selection - BMW used cars
Old 17th June 2012, 17:39   #10
BHPian

Swopsk293,

If you are picking from BMW and Audi, Both have their own pros and cons.BMW's pros and cons are:-

1.BMW 3-series

Pros:-
-Relatively fun to drive
-Sheer driving pleasure
-BMW service packages ensure complete peace of mind
-Discounts being offered at this point of time

Cons:-
-Limited rear seat space
-A bit heavy steering in traffic

2.Audi A4

Pros:-
-Recent mid-life facelift gives it a fresh look
-Sitting in the car feels like at being home
-Cheaper by about rs.70000 than earlier A4

Cons:-
-Dull CVT transmission

Well, If you are actually waiting for the E-class, then I advise you to buy used of the mentioned above. They are available at great deals in the used market.

And at buying Mercedes E-class, be sure to have a glance at BMW 5 series and Audi A6. They are both awesome to drive as well as luxurious!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 18th June 2012, 00:43   #11
BHPian

Heyy guys!!! Thanks a lott for your help!!!!
I guess I forgot to mention that i'll be keeping the 320d for 6-7 years once I buy it, in addition to the E-class so depreciation is not an issue.

I TD'ed the 320d and its truly a magnificient car.... I totally understand what ppl mean when they say its a driver's car!!

I am getting the same discount which he got on the 320d exclusive model.
In addition to that he is also offering the 330i sports for 31L down from 42L!!

But since it is going to be a primarily chauffeur-driven car, I am going to test drive the Audi A4 tomorrow to check out the back seat comfort.

Will keep you guys posted! Again, thanks a lot!!

Note from TBHP Support : Please do not use more than 2 smileys per post. Please go through the Announcements section on posting styles. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th June 2012 at 12:51. Reason: See note in post.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:07   #12
BHPian

If you're looking at one of these as your second car, Go for the 320d without giving a second thought I'd say. Since you'd be having a true chauffeur driven car (E-Class) in your garage soon, why not have something for the FTD part!? The RWD setup, dual clutch gearbox and that steering makes it a complete package for enthusiasts! And even in terms of space, the A4 is just a touch more spacious than the 3 which is hardly noticeable. The F30 won't be 'as fun to drive' as the current 3 because of the points Rishi mentioned above and IMO, the current 3 looks more muscular and more sharp than the upcoming model though that's a personal opinion.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
If you're looking at one of these as your second car, Go for the 320d without giving a second thought I'd say. Since you'd be having a true chauffeur driven car (E-Class) in your garage soon, why not have something for the FTD part!? The RWD setup, dual clutch gearbox and that steering makes it a complete package for enthusiasts! And even in terms of space, the A4 is just a touch more spacious than the 3 which is hardly noticeable. The F30 won't be 'as fun to drive' as the current 3 because of the points Rishi mentioned above and IMO, the current 3 looks more muscular and more sharp than the upcoming model though that's a personal opinion.
Yes, even I was thinking along those lines. I will be calling up the BMW person tomorrow to let my dad take a test drive and then make my decision final. Lets see how it goes!
Old 19th June 2012, 12:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
The RWD setup, dual clutch gearbox and that steering makes it a complete package for enthusiasts! And .
Dual clutch gearbox in the BMW 320d - thats new!!!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:56   #15
BHPian

just get a used 2011 320d, infiniti may have a couple on sale and/or check navnit as well. As you are eventually looking at the E class in 2013. Should save you quite a bit, however if its a new car you need, would certainly consider the new A4, save the lazy CVT transmission, atleast you wont get that feeling of "oh i should have waited till August" for the new 3 Series, when you see one post the launch..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks