Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:20   #16
BHPian

re: Queries regarding a used VW Passat

Hi Guys..Yes agambhandari is right. I bought a Passat 1.8 Tsi.. The details are as below...
Manufacture: Aug 2010
The car is in scratch less showroom condition and has done 34K kms.
The car was registered in the name of VW India itself and was used and maintained by them. The transfer formalities are underway.
I paid Rs. 11.18 lakhs for the car (including tranfer charges). Will post pics soon.

Have stared an ownership thread..Will be updating it with pics and drive experience.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:50   #17
BHPian

Second Hand Passat DSG highline for 22L

Hi Folks

I have been offered a second hand Passat DSG highline for 23L. Its done 14K Kms. There are a few visible scratches on the bonnet (the car is black in color) and a very minor dent/scratch on one of the doors. The car was originally purchased in Sept 2012. I test drove the car and it feels great.

Is the price correct for the age/Kms and condition. There is no extended warranty on this. The insurance is there till Sept 2013 and is a No Depreciation policy

Please advice
Old 30th May 2013, 18:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Second Hand Passat DSG highline for 22L

Why? i Think a new one will be 27 OTR? there will surely be some good discounts on it too, since passats are not exactly flying off showroom floors.

With a new one you get proper warranty, a mint condition car, and more resale.

Also have a look at the model which is below the highline(get confused on the model, comfort/trendline)

It has all the essential features,a nd gets rid of only a few minor stuff like the gimmicky auto park(which knowing VAG electronics, you will be better off without)
Old 30th May 2013, 19:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ Jinu: The OTR for Passat highline is about 34L in Bangalore and with discounts, this should be around 32L. I guess you're getting a good deal. Just be sure to take it to the VW service center and have it checked. Make sure there are not errors and all functions are working fine. A service history should also be checked.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would rather you go in for a new Superb than a used Passat at nearly the same price after discounts. You get all the car the Passat is and then some more like a twin door hatch/boot and much better rear legroom than the Passat. And a new car is a new car...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 01:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Hi Folks

I have been offered a second hand Passat DSG highline for 23L. Its done 14K Kms. There are a few visible scratches on the bonnet (the car is black in color) and a very minor dent/scratch on one of the doors. The car was originally purchased in Sept 2012. I test drove the car and it feels great.

Is the price correct for the age/Kms and condition. There is no extended warranty on this. The insurance is there till Sept 2013 and is a No Depreciation policy

Please advice
The car would have been around 30 on road after discounts I would guess. 22 seems about fine if the car is in good condition, try and bring it own by another lac or so. It's a great car but I have heard terrible things about the after sales.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Why? i Think a new one will be 27 OTR? there will surely be some good discounts on it too, since passats are not exactly flying off showroom floors.

With a new one you get proper warranty, a mint condition car, and more resale.

Also have a look at the model which is below the highline(get confused on the model, comfort/trendline)

It has all the essential features,a nd gets rid of only a few minor stuff like the gimmicky auto park(which knowing VAG electronics, you will be better off without)
Sir, I agree to you on the lower variants often being more value for money, but I did not understand which VW electronic issue or part makes you doubt a feature like park assist, because even though I don't own a passat, I've experienced the system working flawlessly in the real world.
About this particular car, I think it's a very decent option, because the new passat has always been expensive and pries have only risen since then. There was a huge discount at one time but I doubt if its there anymore. I would also advice you to bring the car to BU Bhandari Pune and get all the scratches and minor imperfections removed, these guys have avert nice paintshop and equally skilled work force.

Last edited by 599gto : 31st May 2013 at 02:07.
Old 31st May 2013, 07:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine in Bangalore bought an immaculate one year old Passat HL with around 10000km on the clock for Rs 25 Lakhs. New one is Rs 36 L before discounts.

i do feel he could have chipped a couple of lahs off though!
Old 31st May 2013, 09:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would rather you go in for a new Superb than a used Passat at nearly the same price after discounts. You get all the car the Passat is and then some more like a twin door hatch/boot and much better rear legroom than the Passat. And a new car is a new car...
Pretty good idea! However, the Passat comes with a 170Bhp engine, electronic hand brake, driver assist and blue motion which is not available in the Superb. The Superb also offers 140Bhp motor while the Passat comes with a 170Bhp motor.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:21   #25
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your advice. I cannot buy a new car at 27 or more lakhs simply because of the finances involved.. at 27 lakhs on road price the down payment would come out to about 8 lakhs plus, whereas for the second hand passat at 23 Lakhs cost the downpayment is about 4 lakhs.

I loved the Passat, but i have never had a second hand vehicle before and the following doubts are eating me up
- We checked the Spare tire and found it to be used. Answer to this was he probably had a puncture.
- There is an area of touch up on the front fender and on the same side a very minor dent on the door. Dealer claims it was a scrape during rush hour traffic

Dealer has his own workshop and has assured me that all the scratches and dents will be fixed before delivering the car.

Another question i had was the car has done about 13.6k Kms. The first service is due at 15K kms. Should i wait for 15K (this would take about 2 months post purchase) or should i get it done now itself?. I am not sure if the dealer will agree considering that the first service will cost about 17-20K ?
Old 31st May 2013, 09:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like a good deal, but I wouldn't assume this car is owned with love and care. I would be more concerned with the decision of buying a new vs used car and less with say 50K price bargain.

If you are buying it for family use and family loves cars, go for a new car. There is a certain mastercard-priceless feeling about it. If you can do with small cars, then Mercedes-A or upcoming BMW-1, etc. are very compelling.

About the service: Get it serviced by the seller right away before buying even if it means your purchase price goes up by 15K. It is a good way to know the condition of the vehicle. If the seller is refusing to agree to get it serviced, you have a very good reason to walk away from the deal.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 10:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your advice. I cannot buy a new car at 27 or more lakhs simply because of the finances involved.. at 27 lakhs on road price the down payment would come out to about 8 lakhs plus, whereas for the second hand passat at 23 Lakhs cost the downpayment is about 4 lakhs.

I loved the Passat, but i have never had a second hand vehicle before and the following doubts are eating me up
- We checked the Spare tire and found it to be used. Answer to this was he probably had a puncture.
- There is an area of touch up on the front fender and on the same side a very minor dent on the door. Dealer claims it was a scrape during rush hour traffic
I don't think you should worry too much about these. It's probably what it looks like it is.
Only thing you should find out is whether the car has had a major accident (check with insurance company). You could also call up the service center where the car was being serviced, quote the registration number, and ask for details. They will provide you with all the work done on the car, and will also verify whether the odo reading is legit.

Quote:
Dealer has his own workshop and has assured me that all the scratches and dents will be fixed before delivering the car.

Another question i had was the car has done about 13.6k Kms. The first service is due at 15K kms. Should i wait for 15K (this would take about 2 months post purchase) or should i get it done now itself?. I am not sure if the dealer will agree considering that the first service will cost about 17-20K ?
Even if you press the dealer, I don't think he's going to agree to this. You'll have to do the servicing yourself.

I'd say go ahead and make the purchase if the things I have mentioned above checks out.

My mom drives a Passat - the older one with the 140 bHp engine, and it's an incredibly good and comfortable car to drive around in. The road presence of it is simply great.

Like others have said, the Superb is also a nice car. But I own a Laura, and there is something about the VW in the family which makes it more lovable than the Skoda (even putting aside the fact that it is half a segment higher). Maybe it's the terrible Skoda after sales that's to blame, or maybe it's the VW's higher perceived brand value. So I'd say get this Passat over a Superb any day.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
About the service: Get it serviced by the seller right away before buying even if it means your purchase price goes up by 15K. It is a good way to know the condition of the vehicle. If the seller is refusing to agree to get it serviced, you have a very good reason to walk away from the deal.
I would advice against getting the car service by the dealer. He would get it done in his own workshop and make a shoddy job of it for all you know. You wouldn't even be able to find out what all work he has carried out.

Also, let me know which dealer you are dealing with; I have done some second-hand car shopping in Mumbai and know a lot of them.

Last edited by EagleEye : 31st May 2013 at 10:16.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 10:15   #28
BHPian

Hello Jinu, a used car is a used car.
If you know the car for some time only then buy the car.

If you budget is tight think twice because buying is the easy part. An expensive car will have expensive parts and maintenance + you have a hefty EMI going out and a serious repair can really play with your peace of mind and pocket. If you have a budget of 22lacs go for a new car. It will have cheaper maintenance compared to the Passat. My neighbor had a Passat and was not happy with it. The service center was a pain and the services were not up to mark.

I really do not trust agents selling cars, especially agents with workshops as I have been burnt earlier with a secondhand car which had a great deal.

Regards
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 12:59   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't like to sound of this deal. - Even if the price is correct for the depreciation for the period compared to the value when new.

If the down payment for a new Passat is felt to be too high then isn't the higher interest on the second hand one a killing point?

Suggest that you get a new Superb Petrol or Accord if you will or get a preowned Superb - Better deals available. If buying a vehicle costing more than 30L it is in my view better to wait atleast 2 years for it to be worthwhile to buy the same preowned. Else get a alternate brand new.

Last edited by ACM : 31st May 2013 at 13:01.
Old 7th July 2013, 18:36   #30
BHPian

Re: Queries regarding a used VW Passat

I have a query regarding a used passat I have come across so I thought I would use this thread to post instead of starting a new one.

9 month old Passat diesel base version driven only 1500 kms. Test drove the car seems fine but then I wouldn't expect to find anything wrong in the test drive of a 9 month old Passat. I suspect however that the odo has been tampered with.

Reasons being

1) Only 1500 kms in 9 months
2) Spare tire shows signs of use
3) Pirelle Tires look worn way beyond what the Odo shows. I could probably get a tire guy to verify that.

Seems to be VW registered car which was used to ferret company officials. I would expect to see some more miles on it if it were used for that reason more like another "0" at the end.

Price looks attractive hence I am asking the question or even considering it.

Is there any way to check from the car's ECU how many hours the engine was run. Also is there any indicator or read out to see if the car was revved beyond a certain point.

Any help in deciding would be appreciated.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks