Wait for Hyundai ix25 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 15:47   #166
BHPian

Re: Dilemma: Ecosport Diesel Top Spec or Creta Petrol Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I truly look forward to your insights and help.
Without a second thought, you should go ahead with the Ecosport.

I would always prefer to pick the top end version of any car if it falls within the budget rather than getting a lower variant of another one which might also fall in the budget.

Like you mentioned, you would want to modify the Creta to satisfy your needs/likes which will again cost you some more $$.

Also, I think the base variant of Creta would be too basic and it might make you run to the aftermarket store sooner than you realize.

Happy car hunting!
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 20:42   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mainly because arguably it's a segment above, is a bigger car and personally to me, looks better. Not much else going it's way however

Are the servicing costs of the Creta Petrol higher than the Ecosport Diesel? I wasn't aware, can you please let me know more

I don't really think I need the space since about 80% of the driving is going to be solitary. And thanks, that's what I wanted to know, it's capability on bad roads.

How is the suspension of the EcoSport? In city and on the highway?

I think the E Plus too gets the Roof Rails. If the rear seat in the EcoSport can decently seat 2 people, I would be okay. Less than 5% of the times I would need to accommodate a 5th person.

First up, in terms of general servicing costs, I do not think Ford and Hyundai are that apart. Although recent history seem to suggest that Hyundai has moved servicing costs a little bit north and does seem more expensive than Maruti and Toyota, but may be at par with Honda.

Secondly, any diesel car is going to cost you more compared to its petrol variant in terms of servicing. And with Hyundai and Ford I do not think servicing costs are a big issue either way.

Lastly with regard to the Ride l quality, yes I did test the ecosport on a bad stretch and I tested all the the cars in the same stretch ( read-nexon, City, s-Cross, Creta) among others and I must say that ecosport handled it better than most. Like most SUVs it does bob around a bit when you go over very big undulations, may be the Duster is an exception. But suspension felt very good and I thought I was pretty well insulated in the cabin.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 08:37   #168
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport VS the Rest of the World

Quote:
That's a saving of Rs. 60K per month. Given that the diesel is only 60K more....Besides this the diesel will have a better resale value, diesels seems to stick closer to ARAI economies that the Petrol.
I guess you meant saving 60k over a period of 5 years or more. If you are going behind numbers so much, you will also have to factor in the opportunity cost of that additional 60k now. Not to forget the interest if you are taking a loan.

I am not going to comment on resale value. Its anybody's guess with the noise made against diesel vehicles or cars which are more than 15 years old, especially around NCR.

Quote:
I found the interior quality of the Creta to be similar to the EcoSport but that's probably because it was the base variant.
The general quality of plastics and the fitting is a shade better on the Hyundai. Nothing major, but its evident across variants.

MT vs AT is purely based on your preference. If you haven't taken all these cars for a spin yet, that's the first thing you should do. You will be able to relate to the comments made on this thread a lot more once you have experienced all the contenders.
Old 25th February 2018, 17:46   #169
BHPian

I have to say Creta feels like a much more richer car when you sit in it but sitting in and living with it are different. Imagine in your mind all the different situations where each feature comes into play when you have it and when you don't. Cosmetics and appearance will move away from your radar after the initial few weeks. I don't know why people say Ecosport is overpriced. It's very appropriately priced (I own the older model).

I was considering The Ecosport, Creta, Verna and the City. I saved a lot of money by going with Ecosport and still having a better and safer car than before. Talk to the people who have owned one for more than 2 years. It's a solid vehicle!
komalthecoolk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 22:30   #170
BHPian

If you've sat in any lower variants of any car, you'll immediately note that they make you feel distinctly like an underachiever. Every bit you touch is usually hard plastic, there's a sea of matte black, grey or beige around you, and every time you look at the name of the song on the 8 segment mono display, or grab the faux leather aftermarket steering wheel cover that doesn't quite fit, or turn on the 55w halogen headlamps that came with the base model, you feel like you still haven't arrived. It seems shallow, but it is possible to miss the chrome trim on the interior, HID/LED projector headlamps and other seemingly superfluous bits.

I think that a top end Ecosport makes much more sense than a base model Creta. All the base Creta has is a bit more interior space, and a much bigger service bill, IMHO.

BTW, my opinion is based on comparing my Ecosport Titanium TDCi and the Creta 1.4 E CRDi in 2016. At the time, I didn't feel that the base model Creta was worth it. Even the base model Duster seemsed a better deal at the time. If things have changed significantly since then, please feel free to correct me.

Last edited by vivekgk : 26th June 2018 at 22:36.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 20:36   #171
BHPian

Hi Guys,

We are planning on buying an EcoSport 1.5 TDCi Titanium as a replacement for our Rapid 1.6 MPi 2013 model. This isn't exactly an upgrade, but I feel apart from interior space, EcoSport is at par if not better in all other aspects like build quality, fit/finish, performance, safety, features, service and maintenance. Although we have budget to go for an XUV, the main reason to opt for EcoSport is for its compact dimensions which is more suitable for our apartment parking slot and commuting within our congested city. Another reason being that my dad finds it difficult to drive and park our Rapid, hence 95% of the time it was driven by me only. And I am planning to take the EcoSport to work every alternative day and also to occasional long drives with family and friends.
So the question is, are we making the right decision in selling our Petrol sedan and buying an Diesel compact-SUV? What other choices do we have considering compact dimensions, build quality, safety and performance being the important factors.
Old 19th November 2018, 12:24   #172
BHPian

Advice Needed!

Hello Friends!

Need your advice for buying a Ford Ecosport.

I had enquired with a dealer for a Titanium Diesel colour Blue. But the car wasn't available at that time.

Now I have got a call from them saying an earlier customer has cancelled his booking and therefore Blue Ecosport in Titainium Diesel is available.

This is a June manufactured car and it was earlier booked by another customer. The booking was held for 2 months, after which the dealership decided to cancel it because the earlier customer wasn't able to go through.

Now they are offering the car to me and have also offered a small discount.

Honestly, I'm quite tempted.

But I'm not sure whether everything is above board here.

What is the experts' opinion in this case?

Should I go ahead with this deal? What are the things I should watch out for?

Your advice will be most valuable.
Old 19th November 2018, 13:07   #173
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Hello Friends!

Need your advice for buying a Ford Ecosport.
I would say follow the Team BHP new car checklist thoroughly before you decide to take the delivery.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th November 2018 at 16:13. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 09:00   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
We are planning on buying an EcoSport 1.5 TDCi Titanium as a replacement for our Rapid 1.6 MPi 2013 model....What other choices do we have considering compact dimensions, build quality, safety and performance being the important factors.
If you are okay with the ride quality, you should go ahead with the Ecosport, as it is surprisingly nimble in traffic, once you get the idea of the width of the car. The Ecosport is also very car like in handling, especially the steering feel which I feel is the best in the price segment.

Although diesels no longer offer the big economy advantage due to low fuel price difference and high purchase costs, it will still offer better FE no matter the conditions. I am getting an average of 18kpl in my Ecosport diesel with mixed city/highway use.

However, if you are using the car mainly in the city and in heavy traffic, the automatic would cost the same and save a lot of wear and tear on your left leg. Keep in mind that diesels have a heavier clutch.

Ford service costs have come down a lot and my car has cost me about 11k in service over 25000 kms and 2.5 years of ownership. Petrol models cost even less. Since you're coming from a Skoda, you'll enjoy the same solid build in the Ecosport, which is something few cars in the segment have. Since you have the budget, go for the top end Titanium+ model.

Other compact options in the segment are the Nexon and the Brezza. Both have AMTs which would be useful in city traffic, and the diesel option as well. Again, you can go for the top end with your budget. Both are great cars, and the differences boil down to individual choices.

If you are okay with a compact sedan, there's the VW Ameo which has a DSG automatic paired with an efficient diesel, VW build and similar space as a compact SUV.

All other options in this segment are at least as long as the Rapid. These include the Creta (slightly longer), Verna, Duster and the Vento, and the Rapid itself, which would get you additional loyalty discounts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Hello Friends!

Need your advice for buying a Ford Ecosport...Your advice will be most valuable.
I think you should take the deal. Just make sure to follow the new car checklist, and verify the VIN number for the date of manufacture and other details.

Last edited by vivekgk : 4th December 2018 at 09:06.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 19:30   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
If you are okay with the ride quality, you should go ahead with the Ecosport, as it is surprisingly nimble in traffic, once you get the idea of the width of the car.
Thanks for the reply. We have already bought an EcoSport Diesel Titanium. As you said, the clutch is heavy for city use and mileage drops down around 12kmpl within city in traffic conditions. The build quality is definitely at par with Skoda, if not better. The only issue for me is the pickup from 1st gear which doesn't seem great especially with full load and over inclines. The clutch play and gearing needs some getting used to, I tend to upshift faster from 1st to 2nd resulting in slight jerks, which I am trying to avoid by shifting when the MID shows to up-shift.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:26   #176
BHPian

Team bhp friends, want your suggestions regarding the new car itch. I presently own a 2015 Ecosport Titanium plus diesel, the 100ps version covered around 48000kms, in a perfect showroom condition. I am totally satisfied with the car. I am considering the creta sxo, is it really worth spending on the creta, or should I go with the updated Ecosport, which has added features such as traction control, hill launch assist, cruise control, better nvh levels and many other bells and whistles. Hyundai cannot match the solid build of Ford, i-e the heaviness of the doors, bonnet etc. I like the handling and suspension of Ecosport over Creta. There are some rumours that Ford may discontine the 1.5 tdci after BS6 norms come into force, I discussed this with my known senior person at a Ford dealership, he said that 1.5 tdci is BS6 ready, and it will continue after some modifications. Is this true?
Old 21st January 2019, 13:38   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
I presently own a 2015 Ecosport Titanium plus diesel, the 100ps version covered around 48000kms, in a perfect showroom condition. I am totally satisfied with the car.
Why not continue using the present Ecosport, since you already have the Titanium Option, you might as well have all the necessary features. If needed, you can upgrade the infotainment system and also improve the nvh by adding sound proofing on the doors, at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:32   #178
BHPian

Totally agree with @Aditya_Bhp! Rather than spending lakhs on a new car, why not rather spend just a couple of thousands on personalisation and upgrades? You will get a new car feel and save the money for 2-3 years and get yourself a car 2 segments above EcoSport, or maybe in the luxury segment!

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 23:20   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Why not continue using the present Ecosport, since you already have the Titanium Option, you might as well have all the necessary features. If needed, you can upgrade the infotainment system and also improve the nvh by adding sound proofing on the doors, at a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Thanks for your opinion, well I have kept this option also open, that is keeping the present car. But upgrading the infotainment system in the 2015 Ecosport, is a bit tricky, and I may never do it, and features like traction control, hill launch assist, cruise control etc can not be added.

Most Viewed