Ford Ecosport Ecoboost 79 62.20%
Used Skoda Yeti 19 14.96%
Wait for Hyundai ix25 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport VS the Rest of the World

I would recommend something from the rest of the world. Somehow the Ecosport doesn't appeal me and the test drive was not awe inspiring or something. The 2nd row is cramped and its essentially a 4 seater vehicle. There have been 2 cases where the vehicle has toppled and very recently, one EcoSport toppled at a very busy junction in Pune. I am starting to feel a bit of a concern whether the 200 mm ground clearance and less than 4 meters length has screwed the CG somewhere. Experts can comment better on this. Though 3 cases in the whole country (at least publicly known) is nothing to be scared of, but just thinking about worst case scenarios.

In comparison, Duster feels to be greatly planted on the road and is confidence inspiring. However, Duster is horribly priced (some 14 lacs on road for the 110 bhp top-end variant). My cousin had booked the Duster and then tired of endless waiting periods and the completely flawed price to power ratio (some 12 lacs for 85 BHP power) made him choose a sedan. Of course, that's his own way of thinking, but still I am putting down all trains of thoughts.

As most have recommended, go for a sedan, and preferably the Vento. The Verna is just not the driver's car and that funny steering and feather-soft suspensions get a bit scary at high speeds on highways. However, if your usage is predominantly in the city, then you can have a look at the Verna. Verna probably gives the best bang for the buck with all those zillion features.

All the best for your search.
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:57   #17
BHPian

I had taken a brief test drive of the Ecosport (diesel) on Saturday while our Fusion was being serviced. My impressions:-

Not surprised at the toppling incidents. Almost half of the people who were waiting, for the test drive, looked like first time car buyers with very basic car driving skills (must have just graduated from Driving school). And the balance were the "Guntewari" types (sold lots of land & looking for flashy top end diesels.). The SR was insisting on sitting in the front passenger seat & had his hand on the handbrake- ready for emergency braking.!! Had to soothe him to relax while I was driving.

No sarcasm or offence really -only these categories are buying new cars now - just look at my dillema. After driving the car I felt it an ideal replacement for our Santro AT. However the Santro is fitting our city driving requirements perfectly, so no need to upgrade. Ecosport does not fulfill our need for a replacement for the Fusion. So we will drag out our purchase decision for a couple of months for now, possibly till something more suitable comes along.

My driving impressions vis a vis the Fusion:-
1. Seating is much more ergonomic & higher up.
2. Visibility is good. Did not find the A pillar so much of a problem.
3. Even though it was a diesel the noise was not very evident. Would say cabin was quieter than the petrol Fusion. Slight vibration was there.
4. The engine was able to pull cleanly - quite suitable for a sedate city drive.
5. Ride quality was good and did not feel some minor potholes I went over.
Sway & yaw did not seem bad - better than my Santro & much better than the Scorpio. Cannot comment on high speed ride as we were just pottering around.
6. Steering was light & the vehicle was willing to change direction easily. One could say it was twitchy. Possibly the reason why novices must have given excess steering input & flipped the car.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:58   #18
BHPian

As suggested in another post, your situation literally screams the case for buying something pre owned. As you yourself have noticed, the prices for pre owned cars have tanked, and you can easily target a segment above with the budget you have, without worrying too much about depreciation 3 years down the line.

For instance, the Yeti can be a great option fulfilling most of your needs, assuming you manage to locate one in the used car market
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:56   #19

I feel the eco sport due to its high stance, gives an illusion of an unstable vehicle. The lesser width doesn't help its cause either. the duster in comparison looks much more stable.
I would personally prefer a sedan any day for high speed express way travel. An SUV can never match the aerodynamics nor the stability which a sedan offers. It never was intended that way.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:02   #20
BHPian

As you correctly observed, EcoSport is more of a an alternate to hatchbacks or compact sedans(Amaze/DZire), than an upgrade to these cars.
As an upgrade from Figo, either sedans or SUVs (Duster 110,Storme,XUV,Scorpio) would fit more into your requirement.

In the sedans, few more options may be,
For Diesel : Skoda Rapid , especially mid variant is more loaded compare to Vento.
For petrol : Linea Tjet , either base Active with all disk brakes and ABS, or top end emotion are good options.
One more suggestion would be Ford Classic 1.6 petrol SX.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Here is my take on the resale value part

Ecosport - You have to get the diesel to get demand for your car 3 years down the line in the used car market
Duster - This one can fetch you good demand in the used car market, you will definitely find a lot of buyers for it, but the premium you have to pay for it now will get knocked out
Verna - Unless you go in for an exchange with another Hyundai car, I don't see the Verna trading for much three years down the line
City - Its an old design, it been around for a long time and will definitely be replaced by the time your car would land up in the used car market
Resale Wise, Ecosport makes the most sense but I have noticed one thing that when one goes for selling, Titanium or the higher variants do not really put that much weight in the residual value equation. So should I go for one variant below the Titanium?. Also diesel it has to be. Good point about Verna, will keep that in mind, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If minimizing the depreciation hit is a top priority then why not go for a used car? Apart from a couple of recent purchases all our cars have been bought used. Let the first owner deal with the massive depreciation hit of the first couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
As suggested in another post, your situation literally screams the case for buying something pre owned. As you yourself have noticed, the prices for pre owned cars have tanked, and you can easily target a segment above with the budget you have, without worrying too much about depreciation 3 years down the line.

For instance, the Yeti can be a great option fulfilling most of your needs, assuming you manage to locate one in the used car market
There are two reasons why going second hand does not appeal to me.
1) I am a self employed business man and blocking say 10 Lac in one go for a depreciating asset is not ideal. Moreover a loan will work out well and beneficial for tax reasons.

2) I do not trust second hand cars, I went to a few second hand dealers and to summarize, it was quite a scary thing. I know if I spend some time I might be able to fork out a good buy, but it is looking highly unlikely as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
At the risk of being presumptuous, I think if Ecosport is being considered as a replacement for your Figo, which is primarily what you drive around yourself in, then Ecosport may be a good consideration (Fortuner and Civic would chip in for family duties depending on need). Ecosport may have good resale value, is getting to be hugely popular, is loaded with technology and would take you around in the city comfortably. True that on occasions when others hitch a ride with you they'll be squeezed for space at the back, but then, they may enjoy being in the Ecosport and such situations may also not be so frequent.

10+ price tag for the top diesel variant does seem steep compared to a comparable sedan. However, the resale value after 2 - 3 years when you go in for the next car may not be bad given that even then Ecosport will be relatively a newer car in the market. On the side, if this is primarily for city driving, wouldn't the Ecoboost petrol be a consideration? I am not too sure about the features and price though.
Your post and my thinking lines are pretty parallel. This has been the general idea all along but it is the 10 + on the titanium version which is a bone of contention. The EcoBoost is indeed a good buy but petrol does not sell as well as diesel and moreover being a new engine, I am a bit apprehensive in taking the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the Verna - I felt the fluidic design makes the head room a point for concern on the back bench. You may also want to consider the Duster for a better range of vehicles to compare and decide. All the best in making your decision
Duster is going to be test driven soon and the head room was OK, atleast from the first look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I would recommend something from the rest of the world.
All the best for your search.
Thanks for your inputs, I am hoping to play a little with my parents thinking as well. Get them to see the benefits of a Duster and agree to spend 13 something and then Bang take them to see the Elantra. It will be like going to Singapore after spending time in Dharavi.

Sorry Duster guys the above statement was just as a joke, to lift the monday morning blues. Duster is a really good car at a really bad price. But will have a look at it none the less.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
one EcoSport toppled at a very busy junction in Pune.
Is this the 3rd incident of toppling? Can you post more details (preferably on the main Ecosport thread)
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:21   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

EcoSport - Buy if you need ground clearance, water wading capability, like the vehicle to be feature loaded and also if leg room is more important than shoulder room. The EcoSport design lends it self to more usable leg room than in many sedans and hatch as one tends to keep the legs bent. But shoulder room definitely is at a premium and the other options that you are considering may be better at that. But your being 6'2" may not really be a problem. 5 passengers may be an issue if the 5 passenger is anything more than a kid.

Verna - Buy again for the features, space and possibly higher reliability of Hyundai over Ford and possibly also better service though service cost will be similar. The vehicle will cost you more though if you for the top end model. If ground clearance is not an important factor this makes for great value. Again why not the i20 itself then as that would be a better EcoSport option in terms of pricing.

Vento / Rapid - Buy for the drive. The Overall Build quality will be superb. The Interior quality which will exceed the EcoSport and the yet service and parts are likely to be more expensive than the EcoSport.

Go what whatever tugs further at the heart.

I have booked an EcoSport AT prior to launch for the DSG, the Safety & Feature List, the Door thud, the seating ergonomics and the high ground clearance and the water wading capability which is important to me to navigate Mumbai roads that are often flooding. That said I may still not pick it up as there are -ves too (mainly feel the 1.5p engine is not powerful enough and the vehicle not wide and spacious enough). So still may finally not pick it up as I am really seating on the fence. For me it is expected that the vehicle help me replace both the Aria and the Laura features and aspects in a combo reliable package - a tough ask though.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:53   #24
BHPian

I have test driven the Ecosport Ecoboost very briefly, and honestly speaking, apart from the looks, the turbo engine and the leather interiors, I didn't like it much as a daily drive. Some of the things bothered me, like somehow the high sitting position didn't feel right, and I felt somewhat out of control. I haven't felt the same in Innova, but then it could be my preference of a lower sitting position. Ecosport is support to be a reasonably good handler, but again, I didn't feel that way during my short drive.

I would recommend sedans in the following order:

1. Linea T-Jet
2. Vento/Rapid
3. Honda City
4. Hyundai Verna

If it's petrol, please try out T-Jet. Though you might be put off by the overall quality of interiors, and possible low re-sale value (if you are selling the T-Jet ever, i.e.). Alternatively, I feel City is still a very good overall package, notwithstanding the features that Verna offers. Verna's power of 122 PS (against 118PS for City) does not translate on the road. City feels faster.

If diesel, then Vento or Rapid. I have a preference for Rapid, not for the price, but because of possible better NVH level (a debatable point, but strictly my view).
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:47   #25
BHPian

Eq24, if i may, i can suggest you to look toward the verna or the vento since you are slightly taller than me and hence, will frequently face issues with the space which is quite a luxury with the ecosport. I also found the verna to be a great looker as well. However if you love the features and electronic gizmos, ecosport is certainly a decent buy but, the titanium and titanium (O) are not worth the asking price. Also, there have been instances of the ecosport toppling(topplesport as i began calling it). I prefer the verna for its aesthetics and class though. If i had a voice in your choice, i would pick the verna.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
EcoSport - Buy if you need ground clearance, water wading capability, like the vehicle to be feature loaded and also if leg room is more important than shoulder room.

Verna - Buy again for the features, space and possibly higher reliability of Hyundai over Ford and possibly also better service though service cost will be similar. The vehicle will cost you more though if you for the top end model. If ground clearance is not an important factor this makes for great value. Again why not the i20 itself then as that would be a better EcoSport option in terms of pricing.

Go what whatever tugs further at the heart.

I have booked an EcoSport AT prior to launch for the DSG, the Safety & Feature List, the Door thud, the seating ergonomics and the high ground clearance and the water wading capability which is important to me to navigate Mumbai roads that are often flooding. That said I may still not pick it up as there are -ves too (mainly feel the 1.5p engine is not powerful enough and the vehicle not wide and spacious enough). So still may finally not pick it up as I am really seating on the fence. For me it is expected that the vehicle help me replace both the Aria and the Laura features and aspects in a combo reliable package - a tough ask though.
Thanks for the inputs ACM, my reasons for buying the Ecosport were mostly the SUV type stance, good ground clearance and well what I once thought - the price. I honestly don't know any more, am confused out of my head and still no answer seems clear.

I thought today morning that screw all this and I will keep my Figo for some more time but the problems coming up in the Figo will mean getting rectifying and paying more money on an already depreciating asset, which also brings me to doubt the build quality of the Ecosport.

One thing which really annoyed me in the Figo and this might sound shallow, was the un premiumness of the car. When a company says starting from 3.5, most people thought that it was worth that much only. Whereas the Swift and Polo and the i20 were considered so Premium. I can understand now why the Nano never sold. I still know people who think the Nano costs one lakh on the road. Sad fact rally for someone shelling close to double that amount for a car.

If I now equate this with the Ecosport, I am buying a 10 lakh car, which is being advertised as a starting from 6 lakh. So there in is a big sub conscious dilemma which is confusing even more.

If I do buy, I plan to buy the Verna in the EX variant. It has almost everything I need. Why pay Hyundai a premium for leather seats and other stuff I will never need.

I do not feel that the Ecosport can replace the Laura and the Aria. On space alone, one is a proper sedan where as the other a big MPV. Ecosport on the other hand is a sub 4 m car. I think you should give away the Aria but keep the Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Eq24, if i may, i can suggest you to look toward the verna or the vento since you are slightly taller than me and hence, will frequently face issues with the space which is quite a luxury with the ecosport. I also found the verna to be a great looker as well. However if you love the features and electronic gizmos, ecosport is certainly a decent buy but, the titanium and titanium (O) are not worth the asking price. Also, there have been instances of the ecosport toppling(topplesport as i began calling it). I prefer the verna for its aesthetics and class though. If i had a voice in your choice, i would pick the verna.
Thanks for your inputs, the Verna is a strong contender. Lets see which way the pendulum swings.
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:41   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
One thing which really annoyed me in the Figo and this might sound shallow, was the un premiumness of the car. When a company says starting from 3.5, most people thought that it was worth that much only. Whereas the Swift and Polo and the i20 were considered so Premium. I can understand now why the Nano never sold.
If I now equate this with the Ecosport, I am buying a 10 lakh car, which is being advertised as a starting from 6 lakh. So there in is a big sub conscious dilemma which is confusing even more.

If I do buy, I plan to buy the Verna in the EX variant. It has almost everything I need. Why pay Hyundai a premium for leather seats and other stuff I will never need.

I do not feel that the Ecosport can replace the Laura and the Aria. On space alone, one is a proper sedan where as the other a big MPV. Ecosport on the other hand is a sub 4 m car. I think you should give away the Aria but keep the Laura.
The Aria has already moved out, and the Laura is advertised for.

The Premium problem will always be there for most vehicle, the Storme will appear sub 10L and yet the top model lands for 16+L. The Aria was later advertised for about 10L and yet many bought it for 19+L, The Guys who buy in Bangalore suffer the most. The top model for vehicles seem to cost almost twice the advertise price for most models.

I think you need another test drive with each of your desired vehicles. I feel the driver will love the Eco Sport more and the passengers the Verna more.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Well even my friend is in a similar situation. He needs a diesel car in the 9 lakhs range which has got good ground clearance, decent power, comfort and driving dynamics as he will go for many long drives and that will include bad roads too.

So he called me to shortlist the car for him. I short listed the Ecosports diesel and the Punto 90Hp.

My comparison goes like this. (Its completely my personal opinion and no offence to any one.)

Looks-
Both are timeless beauties so it has to be an individual choice.

Power/Mileage

The punto runs on a 1.3 Liter engine and the Ecosports got a 1.5 liter engine though both the cars churns out 90Bhp. The kerb weight of the Ecosports is a bit more so the power to weight ratio of the Punto will be a tad superior. In terms of mileage both the cars should return similar figures. So i rate both the cars at per with each other.

Reliability
The Punto runs on the national engine and its time tested. The ford Tdci engine is also proven which do its duty in the new Fiesta. If we check the long term ownership reviews of both Fiat and Ford cars both the company cars have few niggling problems. One cant get a Japanese reliability and niggle free experience in these cars. But on the other hand Ford/Fiat offers much more stronger build and better driving dynamics. So again both the cars are at per with each other in terms of reliability.

After sales service
Now if anything goes wrong in an Ecosports, ford service center will do a good job. But what about Fiat? Though they have opened there own service centers now a days still there are question marks on how good they will be in procuring the parts if something goes wrong. So i keep Ecosports ahead of Punto in this ground.

Comfort-
Both the cars offer almost similar space. But the riding comfort in a Punto is any day better than the Ecosports. So Punto is the winner here.

Driving Dynamics-
Again punto scores here more than the ecosports with its awesome driving dynamics and steering feedback which the ecosports lack as its a taller car or you may call it an urban Suv. So Punto scores more in this ground.

Ground Clearance-
The ground clearance of the Punto is 195 mm where as the Ecosports is a tad higher with 200mm. So here the ecosports is the winner by a small margin.

So its going to be a tough decision for me to select one between the two.

Conclusion-

I told him its like a win win situation. He should himself take a test drive and decide between the two as both the cars will serve his purpose pretty well.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd July 2013 at 20:11.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Do check out the back seat of Verna before putting your money on it. Specially make the people who are going to be in the back sit there and assess for themselves. When I opted for the Sunny last year, the only reason for discarding Verna was that back seat. The windows are placed so high that within 5 minutes both me and my sister started feeling claustrophobic with the gates closed and windows rolled up.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

When we were hunting last year, I was not happy with back of Verna either. That was I think mainly because of sweeping rear (same as the Fiesta).
With raised GC 90bhp Punto makes a compelling choice. And if you need a boot, Linea is also good one to look out for (its GC also raised).

Both these cars make a amazing long distance tourers and also make a good driver's car.

Most Viewed