Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 01:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport VS the Rest of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Dear BHPians
My daily drive is about 70 Kms comprising of driving on few patches of potholed roads with AWESOME Speed Breakers capable of scraping my Uncle's City (ANHC - An alternate ride at times to work) every time but the i20 never faces such issues.
Its quite funny that i'm trying to assist you in decision making when i'm confused myself, but you're requirements warrant an Ecosport. The Verna will be brilliant no doubt, but since you have to tackle bad roads on a daily basis the longer wheelbase in comparison to the i20 might make it scrape on such speed breakers. Imagine that headache on a daily basis! I certainly wouldn't want it.

If you've already booked one, suggest you follow it up with the dealer/Ford and get your car delivered as early as you can. You can get in touch with the Sales manager/GM if you feel the SA isn't of much help.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 07:27   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My daily drive is about 70 Kms comprising of driving on few patches of potholed roads with AWESOME Speed Breakers capable of scraping my Uncle's City (ANHC - An alternate ride at times to work) every time but the i20 never faces such issues.
BHPians, you'll find I'm a bit biased towards Verna hence, I need your inputs on comparing it against Ecosport. I'm also from that school of thought which believes that Japanese and Koreans have understood our Conditions better than others hence, Fiat and Ford fail to deliver the same numbers as their Oriental Counterparts.
You leaning towards the Verna is quite understandable owing to your nice experiences with Hyundai earlier, and the car has its fair share of strengths. But for the road conditions you mentioned, the Ecosport maybe a slightly better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm one of those enthusiasts for who engine matters the most
For this point alone, I would suggest to go and book the GT TDI. They should have provided goodies like ESP in this car, but otherwise I would say it probably is the best diesel option under (or around) 10 lakhs.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 08:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Ride Comfort.
If you are an aggressive driver and take the car on the highways, do take a long TD of the Verna with passengers at the rear. I think the car pitches a lot with load and is not very comfortable for passengers at the rear. So, this is something you may want to test before you go ahead with the Verna.

Also, confirm whether Hyundai has stiffened the suspension in the facelifted one. I think I read some posts here stating that. Otherwise, the Verna is a very good package.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 10:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For this point alone, I would suggest to go and book the GT TDI. They should have provided goodies like ESP in this car, but otherwise I would say it probably is the best diesel option under (or around) 10 lakhs.
Yes it certainly is the best choice, but it appears that my family is quite opposed to the idea of getting another Polo,however great the engine might be. Since they've experienced much better levels of space and comfort with the Ecosport so they're insisting I stick with it. The more I analyze it appears I love everything about the Ecosport except its sluggish engine and the Polo is being considered only for that 1.6 tdi. A trade off between owning a fast hatch with a practical car.
Old 15th September 2013, 19:53   #80
BHPian

EcoSport is a good choice. How many times would you be travelling with 5 passengers, i believe not many. Going for a worse car to drive like the Verna (Poor handling and road manners) or the Sunny (extremely bland and uninspiring drive) just to get the fifth passenger comfortable would be a mistake. The Eco-sport has excellent suspension for a city like Gurgaon and is just about the perfect size. Being feature loaded to the gill will also entertain you in the traffic. Vento can also be an alternative but its poor equipment level, costly and poor ASS and bland styling would keep me away. Look at the Duster too if you don't mind it's styling (Doesn't work for me), absurdly high price tag and bland and hard interiors. On the other hand, it offers an excellent ride, decent performance and plentiful space. Ecosport too has problems, like poor high speed stability, less space, unreliable Ford ASS and now the price rise. Choose wisely.
Old 15th September 2013, 22:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

I went to Samara Hyundai, Delhi to check on the prices. In the price bracket of Titanium (O) Ecosport, I can only get SX Diesel, after discounts costs Rs. 10.9 Lacs whereas SX(O) is 12.3 Lacs, both On the Road Prices.

Anyhow, have dropped the plans of considering any other alternative and sticking to Ecosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Its quite funny that i'm trying to assist you in decision making when i'm confused myself, but you're requirements warrant an Ecosport. The Verna will be brilliant no doubt, but since you have to tackle bad roads on a daily basis the longer wheelbase in comparison to the i20 might make it scrape on such speed breakers. Imagine that headache on a daily basis! I certainly wouldn't want it.

If you've already booked one, suggest you follow it up with the dealer/Ford and get your car delivered as early as you can. You can get in touch with the Sales manager/GM if you feel the SA isn't of much help.
Dear Shashank

Really appreciate the point on the longer wheelbase, never gave that a thought. I spoke to the Team Leader at the Dealership (he happens to be friend of my neighbour) and he conveyed that they'll get allocations of Titaniums and Titanium (O) by September end and hopefully deliver by October First Week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You leaning towards the Verna is quite understandable owing to your nice experiences with Hyundai earlier, and the car has its fair share of strengths. But for the road conditions you mentioned, the Ecosport maybe a slightly better choice.
vb-san, thanks a lot for the reply. I'm going ahead with the Ecosport only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
If you are an aggressive driver and take the car on the highways, do take a long TD of the Verna with passengers at the rear. I think the car pitches a lot with load and is not very comfortable for passengers at the rear. So, this is something you may want to test before you go ahead with the Verna.

Also, confirm whether Hyundai has stiffened the suspension in the facelifted one. I think I read some posts here stating that. Otherwise, the Verna is a very good package.
Deetjohn, I've actually seen such loaded Verna's and I certainly wouldn't want a car with such a problem. Regarding the stiffened suspension, I didn't get any update from the SA.

Further, I followed a Verna on the road giving the most uncomfortable ride and the car covered the stretch without a hitch but it wasn't loaded unlike my case hence, its Ecosport now.
Old 11th October 2013, 18:26   #82
BHPian

Guys, any chance of reading a comparo of Ecosport vs. Mahindra Quanto. Or is the Quanto a write off?
Old 13th October 2013, 21:24   #83
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning on going in for a new vehicle, the thing is I work abroad but visit every 4 months for 10-15 days and the car is used extensively then. During the period I'm not there, it's used occasionally by my family (Mom\Dad) but very light usage. (Driven once\twice a week for just ~30kms) I currently own a 2012 Nano LX purchased in Jan 2012. The car was good for me earlier as I learnt to drive in that and performs well on short runs, however long highway runs do get a bit tiring and overtaking is a pain. Very utilitarian in serving the purpose of transportation but lacking the joy and fun of driving. Since I'm a young guy (~25) I would like something which has appeal, good looks and respectable power, something that would have good presence on road. Also since a car is a status symbol, something in the 7-9l range as it will be a long term investment. I have had my heart set on the Ecosport Trend 1.5 (but might just spring for the top of the line Tit or Tit (O) which fulfils all my needs) and even my father who has back problems loves it for its stance and presence. He is not a big fan of the hatchbacks cause of their lower seating but loves the nano for it's high seats. The only problem is the waiting period which is now 8 months in Goa. My only other serious alternative is the i20 but then again I feel the ecosport feels more upmarket and has more presence than the i20 (IMHO) (Although I love all the gizmos present in the i20, makes me feel very high techy :-D)

I would like a petrol and a fully loaded one as honestly my usage is not high at all and would help in maintenance.

I know good things come to those who wait but 8 months is a long time and there no telling if they may delay it further down the line. The problem with the Ecosport is there is no suitable alternative to it. :-(

Any suggestions for this dilemma?
Old 29th August 2014, 15:46   #84

City Petrol Vs Ecosport Ecoboost

Hi all,
Need some help in solving a puzzling problem. It is choosing our next car. We currently own a 16 yr old Maruti Zen MH 410. It has clocked around 1 lakh KM. Although engine is in pink of its health but the body of the car is giving up. Rusting issues and it’s not very reliable for long runs. Since its CNG and dirt cheap on running cost I am not willing to part ways with this car. The Factor of emotional attachment is also there, so we have decided for second car instead of going for lucrative exchange offers.

Some Important Points :
1. Planning to keep the car for at least 10 yrs. So reliability, availability of spares and ASS is important.
2. Monthly running is low. Around 200 KM per month.
3. Max Budget is 10L
4. Father is fond of driving but recently he suffered heart attack and coupled with other diseases like Parkinson’s he is now not as strong as he used to be. When driving, either he will be accompanied by me or he will be driving only for short distances of 5 to 10 KM.
Things will be easy for him if car is easy to drive, park and has high seating.
5. Mum’s requirements are space and ride comfort.
6. I want a pure fun to drive car.

3 people in family, everyone has different requirements. Based on Test drives and online research please find my opinion on the cars I am considering and request to please share your suggestions.
Shortlisted:
1. City Petrol V model-9.85 OTR Delhi
2. Ecosport Ecoboost-9.75 OTR
3. Ertiga Petrol
Ford Ecosport

Can someone confirm which is more fun to drive? Ecoboost or City Petrol
I guess Ecosport Ecoboost has better engine than City. Since its SUV I hope it’s more fun to drive than City. High seating suits both dad and me, but compromises on space and comfort.
-ve
I feel Ecosport design looks good now but it’s not an evergreen car to look at. Rear wheel and clumsy design will make it look outdated faster than Honda city. Unlike Honda City which is value for money,Ecosport is overpriced.I find the voice command based features pretty useless for me.Since I plan to keep car for 10 Yrs, availablity of spares for ecoboost engine remains a gamble. Ecosport eco boost sales are not good and ford dint launched Fiesta with ecoboost. With Ford’s focus on Diesel only I Wonder if any problem occur in long run, ford service guys would be competent enough to troubleshoot this engine with cutting edge technology.

City It is FTD, Looks and feels like a million rupee car, has space ,reverse cams make it easy to drive but has drawback of low seating and Low air intake makes car vulnerable to hydrostatic locks in waterlogged streets of Delhi.
Ertiga. The review of 1.4 K series engine of Ertiga on TBHP has turned me off. It is no fun at all. On other fronts it seems perfect.

I also considered but rejected:

Wagon R suits best for my dad. It has high seating, good rear visibility, easy to drive and park. But the feel good factor and feeling of upgrade is missing.

Amaze :Many users reported of Amaze’s notchy gears. While taking test drive of amaze I too had issues slotting the car in 2nd gear from 3rd. This is a serious defect and could be dangerous when need to downshift for quick acceleration and gear is refusing to slot in.
Some users reported cars getting hydrostatic locked as air intake in Amaze and Honda City is too low and sucks water

Etios is a fabulous car with fantastic engine but interiors are dull, pathetic audio with front only speakers and the fact that it has a single reverse light is a deal breaker.

Grand I10 has reliability issues. Many users reported issues of battery draining. Hyundai says the problem was solved in 2014 models but users reported same issue even in May 2014 models. Some reported car not opening up as key sensor has gone bad.
Dezire: Too many out there. Dezire engine not as good as that of Amaze.
Brio: FTD car but rear space was too less. The rear seats were upright. Very poor recline angle.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:39   #85
BANNED

Re: City Petrol Vs Ecosport Ecoboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul26 View Post
Shortlisted:
1. City Petrol V model-9.85 OTR Delhi
2. Ecosport Ecoboost-9.75 OTR
3. Ertiga Petrol
Keeping your dad in mind, it should be the EcoSport or Ertiga ZXi.

Both have high seating and drive well as well reliable (at least the Ertiga is). Never driven the EcoSport Petrol so can't comment but Ertiga is one car not to strike off easily. I find the EcoSport a bit cramped (No offence to existing owners).

But looking at the City, I don't think it is too short for your dad to feel uncomfortable either driving it or being in it as a passenger.

Quote:
Ertiga. The review of 1.4 K series engine of Ertiga on TBHP has turned me off. It is no fun at all. On other fronts it seems perfect.
Even I had written off the Ertiga K14M after driving the 1.3 DDiS but I was wrong. That car is lovely to drive and lurks ahead with a slight tap to the pedal. Free revving and body roll is controlled.

For a car of that size that offers space, comfort, features and efficiency as well, it is a good contender in your search.

But honestly if I have to narrow down, it will be:
  1. Honda City V
  2. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
  3. Ford EcoSport

All the best.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 19:09   #86
BHPian

1. Go for Ertiga only if you need a 7 seater, else no point at all.
2. Honda City's too low seating won't be good for your parents.
3. Ecosport, I feel is the best among the choices you have mentioned.

If you are open to other choices you can consider the following options (I am suggesting hatchback primarily because of your dad's parking constraint) :

1. Liva 1.5 Sportivo: Zippy engine & toyota is generally a reliable and cheaper brand to maintain. Has enough legroom as well as boot space.
2. Maruti Ritz: Highly under-rated (because of its weird rear), but I feel it has a zippy 1.3 K series engine, plus great sense of space, legroom along with the current prices, its a great VFM buy.
3. 2015 Jazz: If you can wait & boot is not a requirement, it seems to be a good alternative to City.
ank.nsit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 20:20   #87
BHPian

Ecosport comes with the option of 6 airbags: front driver, passenger and side curtain for front and rear. That is a significant safety factor and could play a part in your decision.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 21:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
4. Father is fond of driving but recently he suffered heart attack and coupled with other diseases like Parkinson’s he is now not as strong as he used to be. When driving, either he will be accompanied by me or he will be driving only for short distances of 5 to 10 KM.
For this reason why not Automatics, both Ecosport and City offer auto's, and Ecosport has height and compact external size, hence easier in traffic. Ford doesn't offer an automatic with Eco boost, but if so will be my recommendation, Ecosport has enough space for 3 and is FTD.

What about the rest of the automatics on offer inside 10 Lakhs. Why not check the new Tata Quadrajet AMT, I feel it should address all your parameters.

Quote:
1. Planning to keep the car for at least 10 yrs. So reliability, availability of spares and ASS is important.
3. Max Budget is 10L
You find reliability and space in both the City and Ertiga, however with Ertiga you will get versatility, FTD and height as well, and though there are Fiesta Diesel's which have been doing reliable duty for years, there isn't much track record on Ford's to fall back on.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 29th August 2014 at 22:04.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 01:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the City (though it would be smart to wait for the new Ciaz which supposedly emphasizes on comfort)

All these pseudo SUVs make no sense to me unless the roads in your town are that bad. Might as well buy a regular hatchback and save the extra cash. Cause honestly, if you're not going on terrible roads, what does the EcoSport offer you over a good hatchback; taller seating. If that's really worth the extra cash then go for it
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 10:13   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some Important Points :
3. Max Budget is 10L
For the requirements you mentioned (especially with your dad's situation), I would suggest the Ecosport 1.0 top variant. High driving position will aid your dad, and the car is loaded on safety. Yes, the Ecosport is a bit over-styled, but so is the City. I don't think the current over-styled one will age that gracefully.

Alternate options: Polo GT TSI or the Vento TSI.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks