Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 09:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Hi wanderlustindia,

My suggestion would be to go for a used Laura 1.8 TSi.

Amazing car, with and even more amazing engine. And, IMO, that would be a proper upgrade from your satisfying 'S' experience.

- Dhanush
Old 27th July 2013, 10:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just two cars can keep you happy, when upgrading from the Fiesta 1.6 S - The Fiat Linea T-Jet or a used Skoda Laura VRs. As the Laura VRs is relatively new and hasn't sold much, i think its better to start searching for a 1.8 TSI. But that is only after you have taken a thorough TD of the Linea T-Jet. To me, under 10 Lacs, the Linea T-Jet is the only car an enthusiast can buy from the showrooms today.

PS: The DSG gearbox rules out the Polo GT TSI for me. Somehow my mind is unable to accept an automatic fun to drive hot hatch!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 11:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Thanks fellas, really appreciate your words.
So far it appears the options are:
1. VW Polo GT
2. Linea T-Jet
and
3. Honda Civic (used)
I think the Linea T-Jet is the best option, especially since you are moving from the Fiesta S. And good to see the Polo GT in the list. As you mentioned, it will be a good idea to do a TD before striking it off from the list.

As many mentioned, the Laura TSI is a great option to consider. But instead of going for a used number, I would suggest to wait for the Octavia launch. The Laura may then go into a complete stock clearance mode, and you may get some good offers on the available 2012 Laura TSI MT (IIRC, the 2013 1.8 TSI is available only with the DSG option)
Old 27th July 2013, 12:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

From one T Jet owner to another potential T Jet owner, close your eyes and get the Fiat. More than power, the car just feels better to drive than the Ford. The GT is one heck of a car,quite possibly quicker than the T Jet and Ford S. It just does not offer the same driving quality as the Ford or Fiat. Personally, I am no big fan of 0-100 timings. I love driving a wheezy Punto 1.2 more than something that just demolishes every other car in a drag. On the subject on the Punto 1.2, it has better steering than my T Jet even with those cycle tires. Sample your options and take a call is all I can say. After the Ford S, the perfect replacement can only be a BMW.
Old 27th July 2013, 19:30   #20
BHPian

Take a look at this:
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...cruze-D469908/

Chevrolet Cruze, just coming under your budget of 10L
A diesel rocket with great driver appeal and you can even add a powerbox.
Old 28th July 2013, 16:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Before you consider a Civic or a Cruze, know that the Honda has poor low-end performance, annoying rear suspension (pre 2008), is nervous at high speeds, and while it is capable in the corners, it does not 'feel' as good as it should. I however love the car but believe it is only bought for the modifying experience
The Cruze is simply awful in the corners and while the steering might lead you to think it is driver focused because of the heavy hydraulic unit, it does not offer much feel. Also, according to me, a car in its segment has to come with EBD otherwise you'd have to wrestle with that steering wheel to keep it true while breaking, and ESP. I do like this car too for the blue interior lighting and no matter how hardcore a 'driver' you may be, the sheer power will give you laughs.

Both these cars have the 'x-factor' or character or whatever you want to call it; that will never let you get bored or tired of owning them. BUT being driver focused, you might not always be satisfied while behind the wheel

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th July 2013 at 16:24.
Old 28th July 2013, 18:22   #22
BHPian

I would say go for the Laura 1.8Tsi. The car will be the right upgrade from the fiesta 1.6S. Try contacting the Skoda dealers and you might get a late 2011 or early 2012 model for a pretty good discoun, though it will be over your budget. There is one black 1.8Tsi at Vinayak Skoda Bangalore, which is a Jan 2012 model with dealer installed DVD player, touch screen, rear DVD screens, nice alloy wheels and leather seats whose price was about 14L after some negotiation. Try looking for something like this in Mumbai without the accessories and you should be able to get one for around 12-13L.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 20:43   #23
BHPian

With a clear conscience, I can say stay away from Honda as a driving enthusiast since none of the cars that Honda currently offers (except for the CRV) offers tight handling and a good ride. (I own the new Honda City and have driven the Civic extensively)

The Rapid in stock is not an enthusiast's car - Don't touch the petrol one with a barge pole. The diesel one is not great on NVH (unless you like a nice massage on your left leg from clutch always)

All it takes is to take a test drive of Fiat TJet, and as an enthusiast, I am sure you'll pick that up with your eyes closed.

Nothing under 10L comes close (I haven't driven the Polo GT TSi) though.

IMO avoid Cedia and used Laura TSi. TJet fits your requirements like a 'T'
Old 28th July 2013, 21:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

OOOOH Try out the new Fiesta too. It is far from being exciting like a turbocharged Fiat or a 1.6 small Fiesta but otherwise, it's got the goods
Old 29th July 2013, 16:54   #25
BHPian

I am interested in how this thread shapes up as I have a vested interest in this one.

After owing these beauties, Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport -> Cedia Sports -> Fiesta 1.6s, Honda City, Honda Civic <-
I picked up a Swift Diesel as i did not find anything interesting, it is a great car no doubt but the Swift was not satisfying from a driver angle.
I am going to be back and I am on the look-out for a drivers car.

My thoughts,
1) Skoda Laura vRS is a great car but I am not sure if I would enjoy taking it to a track day or to an autocross.

2) Linea T-jet's rubbery gearbox does dampen the driving pleasure.
The new Fiesta is said to have beaten the T-jet's time in a track day.

3) Cedia with its amazing multi-link suspension has been discontinued

4) Kryptonite's thread on his monster Skoda Rapid has kept me thinking but I have not able to spot a single driver focused car that could satisfy my palette.

Love to see if there is an insider's information on the next generation of driver focussed cars that might hit the road.

Would these cars ever make it to India?
Swift Sport
Toyota GT-86
Renault Clio

Last edited by raajks : 29th July 2013 at 16:55.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:22   #26
BHPian

Once again thanks for all the comments. I'm considering the following options:

New:
1. VW Polo TSI (atleast a TD to see how it feels)
2. Linea T-Jet

Used:
1. Skoda Laura TSI
2. Skoda Laura vRS (if I manage to find any used examples)
3. Honda Civic AT

I realise that there may be a compromise here and there. The 'S' has its own share of imperfections (albeit negligible).

If none of the aforementioned options tug at my heart, I'm just going to soup up the 'S' starting with Stage 1 mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
Would these cars ever make it to India?
Swift Sport
Toyota GT-86
Renault Clio
Swift Sport is a realistic proposition if Suzuki believe there is a reasonable demand for a real hot-hatch! It would be in direct competition with the VW Polo TSI (both in terms of performance and price).

As far as Toyota and Renault are concerned, given their conservative nature of business in India, I doubt the GT-86 and the Clio respectively will see the light of the day anytime soon in India!

Someone who knows the insider information about these auto companies can perhaps give a better idea.

Note from Support - Posts Merged. Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th July 2013 at 12:20. Reason: posts merged
wanderlustindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 11:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I started off with a Ford Ikon, moved onto a Lancer and then the Fiesta 1.6 S. Clearly, I have a thing for cars that are fun-to-drive!
A little over a year ago, I was in an almost identical dilemma. Wanted to replace our Fiesta 1.6 SXI and, because of our daily running being high, was looking at a Diesel.

Didn't take long to make up my mind - had a silly grin on my face after test driving the Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI and booked it without further ado! Its probably the only car in the 10 lac bracket that will be able to bring a smile to your face, after the Fiesta S. The Fiesta will come out trumps in the handling department but as far as outright acceleration as well as highway cruising is concerned, I would say the Rapid TDI is way ahead. And its pretty frugal as well, delivering between 15 to 17 kmpl of Diesel.

The Rapid has done about 9k kms so far (the Fiesta is still around, being used occasionally by my daughter) and is about to complete a year of ownership. No problems so far, either with the car or the dealership. But I do know someone in a senior position at the dealership, which probably helped me while taking the plunge.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

If it's gotta be new:

- Polo GT TSI: Nevermind that it's an automatic. In fact, I think it's great that they've mated the seamless DSG transmission to the warm 1.2TSI mill. It's a good car and it will certainly leave you grinning.

- Linea T-Jet: It's brisk and handles / rides really well. 'nuff said.

If it's gotta be used:

- Honda Civic for about 5-6 lakhs and throw in another 4-5 lakhs on assorted suspension / engine modifications.

- Skoda Laura 1.8TSI or a vRS if you can find it.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th July 2013 at 12:16. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
A little over a year ago, I was in an almost identical dilemma. Wanted to replace our Fiesta 1.6 SXI and, because of our daily running being high, was looking at a Diesel.

Didn't take long to make up my mind - had a silly grin on my face after test driving the Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI and booked it without further ado! Its probably the only car in the 10 lac bracket that will be able to bring a smile to your face, after the Fiesta S. The Fiesta will come out trumps in the handling department but as far as outright acceleration as well as highway cruising is concerned, I would say the Rapid TDI is way ahead. And its pretty frugal as well, delivering between 15 to 17 kmpl of Diesel.
Appreciate your inputs, Suman. I am a petrol-head, so diesels are out of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If it's gotta be new:

- Polo GT TSI: Nevermind that it's an automatic. In fact, I think it's great that they've mated the seamless DSG transmission to the warm 1.2TSI mill. It's a good car and it will certainly leave you grinning.

- Linea T-Jet: It's brisk and handles / rides really well. 'nuff said.

If it's gotta be used:

- Honda Civic for about 5-6 lakhs and throw in another 4-5 lakhs on assorted suspension / engine modifications.

- Skoda Laura 1.8TSI or a vRS if you can find it.

Happy shopping!
Exactly my thoughts, mate. Cheers!

The toughest proposition is to find a used Laura vRS. The Octy RS examples I've seen are old and have run quite a bit, hence I'm staying away from them.
wanderlustindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:54   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The toughest proposition is to find a used Laura vRS. The Octy RS examples I've seen are old and have run quite a bit, hence I'm staying away from them.
Not gonna happen. It was barely on sale for a year, and whoever has one is unlikely to sell it so quick. Be prepared to wait for months if you want a vrs. On the other hand, you can pick up a TSI at a good price and get Bilstein shocks for 60k odd.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed