Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 18:32   #226
BHPian

Re: Moving beyond the Optra Magnum- the 1 million problem?

The ideal upgrade for you should be the Cruze. Checks all the boxes and keeps you happy with it's mesmerising power. Great interiors, leather seats ABS, Airbags. Ideally you should be happy with the pick. I thing chevy has some better offers as well.
PISTONS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 18:33   #227
Senior - BHPian

If you are not too adamant on the power, take a look at used petrol Corolla Altis. The 1.8 litre engine is decently powerful and you will love the reliability of the Altis, even if it is out of warranty. AT option is available as well.

You can get one in good nick between 5-7L which also means you save some dough and not worry too much about the petrol costs.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 7th March 2017 at 18:34.
Old 7th March 2017, 18:43   #228
BHPian

Since you do not care about back space and prefer a powerful car, would recommend these 3 cars (in that order) :

1. Abarth Punto (Very powerful + Manual but bad A.S.S.)

2. Polo GT TSI (Adequate power + State of the art auto GB but not reliable enough)

3. Baleno RS (Presence + Adequate power + very good A.S.S.)

If you prefer sedans, you can go with the SV variant of Honda City iVtec. Very powerful and very VFM.

Good luck!
Old 7th March 2017, 18:45   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Stretch 50% and get a S-Cross 1.6, will keep you power happy for a good long while without worry about spares.
Have always liked the S-Cross but difficult to stretch it 50% but could probably search for a rare pre-worshipped 1.6 S-Cross as its only 1.3's in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS View Post
The ideal upgrade for you should be the Cruze. Checks all the boxes and keeps you happy with it's mesmerising power. Great interiors, leather seats ABS, Airbags. Ideally you should be happy with the pick. I thing chevy has some better offers as well.
True, the Cruze is what checks my boxes but another Chevy! New Cruze is too expensive. Pre-worshiped ones with atleast 1 year warranty are hard to find and even if they are they cost over my stretched budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
If you are not too adamant on the power, take a look at used petrol Corolla Altis. The 1.8 litre engine is decently powerful and you will love the reliability of the Altis, even if it is out of warranty. AT option is available as well.

You can get one in good nick between 5-7L which also means you save some dough and not worry too much about the petrol costs.
Unfortunately I am adamant on the power- the 138bhp 177nm may not necessarily keep me happy/not sure of the performance figures Though it is one different thought process which I hadn't considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Since you do not care about back space and prefer a powerful car, would recommend these 3 cars (in that order) :

1. Abarth Punto (Very powerful + Manual but bad A.S.S.)

2. Polo GT TSI (Adequate power + State of the art auto GB but not reliable enough)

3. Baleno RS (Presence + Adequate power + very good A.S.S.)

If you prefer sedans, you can go with the SV variant of Honda City iVtec. Very powerful and very VFM.

Good luck!
Thanks for the options- at the offset the favorites for me have been the abarth, TSI and Figo D. These three have similar 0-100 times as the Optra, ofcourse the abarth is faster and cost<12 lakhs which maybe manageable. But not sure about its manual transmission and as you mentioned the A.S.S.

The TSI and Figo D will be the Plan B favorites unless I can figure out another option. Baleno RS still needs to be accessed.

A new Honda City petrol hadn't been considered but it seems its fairly fast.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th March 2017 at 18:56. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 7th March 2017, 20:58   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Budget: 10 lakhs (can stretch to another 15% if required)
Requirements:
- Need power and that is going to be the main thing
- If its pre-worshipped I need to definitely have a warranty in place.
- it should of course be a decent handler
- I would prefer an automatic, but could go either way.
- Prefer a diesel but could go either way
Some options:
`
1) Laura, Polo (GT Tsi & 1.6 diesel) and Jetta (Diesel) from VW group stable
2) Cruze & Captiva from Chevy stable
3) Verna 1.6D (with after-market suspension) and Creta 1.6D from Hyundai's stable
4) Figo automatic & diesel from Ford's stable
5) City petrol from Honda's stable
6) 320d from BMW's stable!
7) Duster 110 PS from Renault's stable
8) Abarth from Fiat's stable

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th March 2017 at 21:09.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 21:43   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But not sure about its manual transmission and as you mentioned the A.S.S.
Currently there are three dealers in Bangalore, with service centers in Hosur Road, Nagwara and Whitefield sides. Future of atleast one dealership can be sure as they have already been granted Jeep dealership.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

As others suggested, the ideal upgrade would be the 1.6 SCross. But since you are used to turbo diesels and have budget concerns in getting the SCross - why not shop around for the now discontinued 1.6 GT TDi?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th March 2017 at 21:51.
Old 7th March 2017, 22:54   #232
BHPian

This won't be a very popular choice, but you could get a used 2-3 year old Tata Safari Storme easily in that price range and with cash to spare. It has great power and road presence is undoubtedly amongst the best. You may even be able to get a 2016 model at some dealerships for around 13 lakhs.

Another choice would be a used XUV500 but expect it to cost significantly more in the second hand market.

My third choice would be Ford Aspire Diesel. The Figo diesel hatchback performed superbly in the hatchback comparison test, and given Aspire is it elder brother, expect similar performance.

If you are favouring automatic a bit more, the Ameo 1.5 DSG Automatic would serve you well. Only doubt is about the reliability of the DSG gearbox.

The new Honda City (lower variants) can also be considered. It gives good power delivery, and would be ideal move from the Magnum.
Old 8th March 2017, 00:30   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't go for the Cruze. Chevrolet is planning to discontinue production in the next two weeks or so and spares will be a problem just like the magnum in the longer term.

You can go for a pre-worshipped Jetta. People are getting good deals on them. Although production has stopped, parts won't be a major problem as the Jetta has good international presence.

If you want to buy a new car, then it has to be the S-Cross 1.6 for the fun to drive nature and solid dynamics backed by Maruti's A.S.S

Regards,
Vishy76
Old 8th March 2017, 00:44   #234
Team-BHP Support

If you are looking at new then look at the following:

1. S-cross 1.6. No brainer really in terms of requirements. Only issue is the price is above your budget at 15.6L on road bangalore.

2. If you're budget is tight then simple. Figo Aspire TDCI Titanium Plus with 6 airbags @ 9.7L on road bangalore. Read Mobike008's thread and you will know in terms of performance nothing comes close below 10L. Plus you get all the bells and whistles you need and 6 airbags!

Other than these 2, there's VW Vento, Hyundai Verna CRDI, Skoda Rapid but all of them imo don't fulfill your requirement as much as the S-cross and Aspire.
Old 8th March 2017, 01:56   #235
BHPian

I think the best new car for you would be the VW AMEO DSG. The 117 bhp motor and the DSG is a good to drive. The Honda city lower variants is the only other car I would think fulfils your requirement. I think you should keep 1L handy in case of used car purchase for tyre battery or any impending cost as they are more often than not bound to occur very soon after buying the car. In used cars the only cars worth considering are the VW Jetta or Octavia but finding one within warranty under 10L might be difficult.
Old 8th March 2017, 06:42   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

A car to match Optra (D segment) that is also cheap to own is a difficult proposition.

Look for a well maintained Honda Civic AT. I can't think of any other car that will fit your budget, offer D segment level power+ride and be cheap to maintain. This is the only car from Honda/Toyota/Maruti camp I have enjoyed driving.

Last edited by androdev : 8th March 2017 at 06:43.
Old 8th March 2017, 07:52   #237
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately I am adamant on the power- the 138bhp 177nm may not necessarily keep me happy/not sure of the performance figures Though it is one different thought process which I hadn't considered
Difficult choice to match up to the Magnum and the back seat sofa.
The Dual VVTi Altis isnt all that bad, considering 140 horses and 'vtec' wizardry (140 is still greater than the 121 in the Optra :P)
The kick @4000rpm is fun, though i wonder how many Altis owners/drivers would actually push it to those limits.
Give it a try, but only post 2010 models that comes in with the updated engine/6spd gb.

Option B would again be a petrol. How about Laura TSI? It was on my shortlist when I went for the Altis over the Laura, but its a good workhorse, with 168 horses and all the fun. Finding a decent piece would be a challenge though. The silly reason(s) I dropped it were a)I had to downshift to 1st on a hump!!! (coming from a diesel, this was a no-no),probably a badly maintained car b)Skoda, nuff said.

You will also get Superbs(one with the umbrellas!!) in your budget, but my personal thought is that you'd end up looking like a Uber chauffer in this caaaaar.

Yeti is another good choice with power and fun but it falls in the middle segment and so is Outlander (Mitsubishi Ouch! Petrol Ouch!!! Mivec Ooooooooolala!).

Anyways, keep us posted.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

You could try to get a Jetta 2.0. 2012 models go for around 8-8.5 Lakhs and AT models go for around 10 Lakhs.

It's a nice car, good mileage and powerful. If you want you could even remap it like some members have done here.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:08   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are used to the Magnum, I think on the power/handling part, only a Laura 1.8 TSi should keep you satisfied. And you should be getting decent ones in your budget.

The only gripe is its a Skoda, but then, the Magnum too, wasnt easy on parts is what I guess.
Old 8th March 2017, 14:22   #240
BHPian

Re: Fiesta 1.6S...what next? Fun-to-drive car upto 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Some options:
`
Thanks for the list- any of the lauras wont have warranty I presume. Any idea what the standard warranty was for them? Same is the same with the Jetta. Would ideally like to stay away from Chevy this time but I do like both the Cruze and Captiva. Never really considered the Verna and Creta as suchm though loads of 1.6D Vernas at my ideal price range in the used car market. Figo D of course is my last resort to goto. City petrol is now in my radar as well. 320d! I wish but only 2008/2009 cars in my budget which doesn't make sense. Not so keen on the Duster and the Abarth has its own set of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

As others suggested, the ideal upgrade would be the 1.6 SCross. But since you are used to turbo diesels and have budget concerns in getting the SCross - why not shop around for the now discontinued 1.6 GT TDi?
Yes the 1.6 S cross seems to be a good fit- maybe I can wait & find some pre-worshipped ones. any idea whats the standard warranty on the VW's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
This won't be a very popular choice, but you could get a used 2-3 year old Tata Safari Storme easily in that price range and with cash to spare. It has great power and road presence is undoubtedly amongst the best. You may even be able to get a 2016 model at some dealerships for around 13 lakhs.

Another choice would be a used XUV500 but expect it to cost significantly more in the second hand market.

My third choice would be Ford Aspire Diesel. The Figo diesel hatchback performed superbly in the hatchback comparison test, and given Aspire is it elder brother, expect similar performance.

If you are favouring automatic a bit more, the Ameo 1.5 DSG Automatic would serve you well. Only doubt is about the reliability of the DSG gearbox.

The new Honda City (lower variants) can also be considered. It gives good power delivery, and would be ideal move from the Magnum.
Haha Storme is desirable but too big for my needs. You are right about the XUV's- slightly expensive >13 lakhs for decent older ones. I suppose the 1.5D DSG will cross my budget but probably will take a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Other than these 2, there's VW Vento, Hyundai Verna CRDI, Skoda Rapid but all of them imo don't fulfill your requirement as much as the S-cross and Aspire.
Yes Viddy, the S cross and Aspire are in the top of my list too. What would you recommend if I was going for a pre-worshiped one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The Honda city lower variants is the only other car I would think fulfils your requirement. I think you should keep 1L handy in case of used car purchase for tyre battery or any impending cost as they are more often than not bound to occur very soon after buying the car. In used cars the only cars worth considering are the VW Jetta or Octavia but finding one within warranty under 10L might be difficult.
Yes true..Even top end model of the city-pre-worshipped fall in my budget so it is definitely something to look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
A car to match Optra (D segment) that is also cheap to own is a difficult proposition.

Look for a well maintained Honda Civic AT. I can't think of any other car that will fit your budget, offer D segment level power+ride and be cheap to maintain. This is the only car from Honda/Toyota/Maruti camp I have enjoyed driving.
I am looking at ensuring a manufacturer warranty is in place so the Civic won't fall into place. Though when I was looking to buy the optra- I was basically choosing between 2008 Civics and 2009 Optra's. Optra it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Difficult choice to match up to the Magnum and the back seat sofa.
The Dual VVTi Altis isnt all that bad, considering 140 horses and 'vtec' wizardry (140 is still greater than the 121 in the Optra :P)
The kick @4000rpm is fun, though i wonder how many Altis owners/drivers would actually push it to those limits.
Give it a try, but only post 2010 models that comes in with the updated engine/6spd gb.

Option B would again be a petrol. How about Laura TSI? It was on my shortlist when I went for the Altis over the Laura, but its a good workhorse, with 168 horses and all the fun. Finding a decent piece would be a challenge though. The silly reason(s) I dropped it were a)I had to downshift to 1st on a hump!!! (coming from a diesel, this was a no-no),probably a badly maintained car b)Skoda, nuff said.
As I mentioned, I had never really considered the Altis but will check it out. The TSI would be awesome but no warranty for sure on any on the used car market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
You will also get Superbs(one with the umbrellas!!) in your budget, but my personal thought is that you'd end up looking like a Uber chauffer in this caaaaar.

Yeti is another good choice with power and fun but it falls in the middle segment and so is Outlander (Mitsubishi Ouch! Petrol Ouch!!! Mivec Ooooooooolala!).

Anyways, keep us posted.
Haha...no superb's- none at the price range would come with warranty, I do like the Yeti but there are no 4X4models (the higher power ones) ones in the market which match my requirement. No Mitsus please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You could try to get a Jetta 2.0. 2012 models go for around 8-8.5 Lakhs and AT models go for around 10 Lakhs.

It's a nice car, good mileage and powerful. If you want you could even remap it like some members have done here.
Whats the standard warranty on the Jetta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Since you are used to the Magnum, I think on the power/handling part, only a Laura 1.8 TSi should keep you satisfied. And you should be getting decent ones in your budget.

The only gripe is its a Skoda, but then, the Magnum too, wasnt easy on parts is what I guess.
Plus lack of warranty which means I dont want to take the option again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Don't go for the Cruze. Chevrolet is planning to discontinue production in the next two weeks or so and spares will be a problem just like the magnum in the longer term.

You can go for a pre-worshipped Jetta. People are getting good deals on them. Although production has stopped, parts won't be a major problem as the Jetta has good international presence.

If you want to buy a new car, then it has to be the S-Cross 1.6 for the fun to drive nature and solid dynamics backed by Maruti's A.S.S

Regards,
Vishy76
I am a lot inclined to the Cruze because of how much I like the Optra...but dont think I can stand chevy with parts problem. Jetta's with warranty would be above my budget I suppose. I have to keep my eyes open for a pre-worshiped 1.6 S cross!! Probably first should test drive it to see if it meets my requirements

Last edited by superutp : 8th March 2017 at 14:25.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed