Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 01:54   #1

Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Hello there.

I am looking to purchase either the new Rapid elegance which costs 11.90L including extended warranty or the Polo GT TDI which costs 9.5L with standard 2year warranty OTR Bangalore after discounts, After test driving both i feel the Rapid’s cabin is more silent, has stiffer suspension,comes equipped with projector headlights and no turbo lag, hence seems like a lot more VFM, with it being just 49kg heavier, the performance seems to be identical too, the car will be primarily used as a self driven fun to drive and cheap additional car with average monthly milage of around 1500 kms in city, i don’t see the use of the boot and extra legroom on the Rapid regularly, although it may be useful on occasional highway journey. please let me know which is a better VFM buy.
Old 1st November 2013, 16:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

You yourself state there won't be much use of the boot or extra legroom at the back. Why pay 2.4 lakhs more then? For the 'occassional' highway trip, you anyway have the Accord (which is a far safer car too).

The Polo GT TDI is a very special hatchback. The Rapid is just another competent sedan.

I'd highly recommend the Polo 1.6 in this situation. You could use a part of the saved $$$ for some bolt-on mods, taking the performance & handling to another level.

Of course, my answer would be different if this was going to be someone's primary / family car.

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2013 at 19:55.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 16:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
i feel the Rapid’s cabin is more silent, has stiffer suspension,comes equipped with projector headlights
The Rapid has projector headlights???
Old 1st November 2013, 16:34   #4
BHPian

I would say +1 to
The Polo GT TDI is a very special hatchback. The Rapid is just another competent sedan.

I'd highly recommend the Polo 1.6 in this situation. You could use a part of the saved $$$ for some bolt-on mods, taking the performance & handling to another level.

GTO's points are a bullseye.Go for a POLO GT GTI 1.6
Old 1st November 2013, 16:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hello there.

I am looking to purchase either the new Rapid elegance which costs 11.90L including extended warranty or the Polo GT TDI which costs 9.5L with standard 2year warranty OTR Bangalore after discounts, After test driving both i feel the Rapid’s cabin is more silent, has stiffer suspension,comes equipped with projector headlights and no turbo lag, hence seems like a lot more VFM, with it being just 49kg heavier, the performance seems to be identical too, the car will be primarily used as a self driven fun to drive and cheap additional car with average monthly milage of around 1500 kms in city, i don’t see the use of the boot and extra legroom on the Rapid regularly, although it may be useful on occasional highway journey. please let me know which is a better VFM buy.
Well, I own a polo GT TDi and what I can suggest is to go for this car. Especially when you are not someone who use the extra boot space offered by Rapid frequently. Fun to drive factor, definitely I am sure you are going to feel it much more in Polo than in Rapid. You can even try GT Tsi as your monthly run is not really big.
The turbo lag is minimal or non existent in Polo GT TDi as well.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 17:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you dont use the boot much, then go for the Polo eyes shut.

If I were in an equation with the 1.6, then the solution will automatically start heavily biased! PLEASE - Do not miss the opportunity, of owning one of the best hot hatch's!
Old 1st November 2013, 17:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hello there.

Among VW & Skoda, I feel there are too many horrific incidents about Skoda dealers on T-Bhp. Even though the VW might be a comparatively new entrant in the indian market, but personally I feel that its dealers are still better than the Skoda's.

I might be OT, but I am curious to know, is it just the love for German cars, or something else that you considered only VW/Skoda cars.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 17:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The Rapid has projector headlights???
The new 2014 Rapid has projector headlamps for a few models.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 18:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i don’t see the use of the boot and extra legroom on the Rapid regularly, although it may be useful on occasional highway journey.
The above mentioned are key points to bring the Rapid (or any other small sedan) into the equation.
What’s the confusion then? Go for the Polo GT
Old 1st November 2013, 19:11   #10
BHPian

Hi Barron, by looking at your post, it seems like you are looking at the following aspects
- Self driven
- Fun to drive
- Low monthly mileage
- Don’t see the use of the boot and extra legroom
- Occasional highway journey
- 10 to 12 lakhs

I guess Polo GT TSi would fulfill all the above requirements(unless you are looking at the diesel). Additionally it would also fulfill the following
- Better safety features like ESP
- Automatic gearbox(DSG) along with the manual shifting and sports mode.

In case you have not taken the test drive(of Polo GT TSi), please go ahead and take a test drive.
Old 1st November 2013, 23:23   #11
BHPian

I'd say go for VW Polo GT TDI if you want a small, self driven and fun to drive car.
- Since you have mentioned that you'll be mainly driving it in the city and occasionally on highways and that rear legroom and boot won't be of any use that would be the best choice.
- The car is also small which will enable you to maneuver easily in the traffic and parking would be easy.
-Also, the car is as powerful as Vento/Rapid so you won't feel your driving a small powerless hatch.
- You'll also be saving around 2.5 Lakhs which you can spend modding your polo.

Cheers
CF911
Old 2nd November 2013, 00:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

The GT TSI has a waiting period (some that extends to as much as 4 months!) in some of the cities' dealerships. I haven't driven it so cannot comment on the DSG's performance but going by the popularity here, it seems to be a winner.

I drive a GT TDI and returns good mileage; 17-18 kmpl with a mix of city-highway drives with 600+ on the odo right now. I could sense the turbo lag but suits me just fine. 103 horses on tap and plenty more that could be unlocked with a remap/tuning box.

Both the cars fit your checklist and are a modder's delight in case you intend to mod it for performance and/or looks. VW's OEM parts are available for purchase online albeit expensive! You do not need a sedan here. Both the hatches would do for your occasional highway journeys just fine.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:43   #13

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, i have forgotten to mention that i previously owned a polo 1.6 petrol for an year and 14000 kms, sold it due to horrible fuel efficiency of 7-8 kmpl for a hatchback which is less than my automatic accord, that is one of the reason i had considered Rapid 1.6 TDI in the equation. The VW dealer says extended warranty is not available on the polo GT TDI but can be purchased within 2 years if made available at a later date, can anyone clarify this for me?
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The VW dealer says extended warranty is not available on the polo GT TDI but can be purchased within 2 years if made available at a later date, can anyone clarify this for me?
That is strange! I was insisted by the dealer to take the extended warranty during the delivery but I chose to take it later before the original 2 years' warranty expires. The price paid is slightly higher compared to what is paid initially if taken during the delivery. Please reconfirm this with another dealer if possible.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The VW dealer says extended warranty is not available on the polo GT TDI but can be purchased within 2 years if made available at a later date, can anyone clarify this for me?
Did you check this with VW Whitefield? They have said the same to me(for the GT TSi).

I have sent the following mail to VW customer care two days back, and not yet got the response from them.

Quote:
I have booked a Polo GT TSi in VW Whitefield (Bangalore). According to the dealer VW does not offer the extended warranty on the Polo GT TSI.

But the brochure (http://www.volkswagenlive.in/volkswa...-ebrochure.pdf) mentions that “Extended Warranty: the standard warranty can be extended for a further 2 years and up to 1,00,000 kms for a minimal extra cost”

Can you please clarify this?
Quote:
i have forgotten to mention that i previously owned a polo 1.6 petrol for an year and 14000 kms, sold it due to horrible fuel efficiency of 7-8 kmpl for a hatchback which is less than my automatic accord, that is one of the reason i had considered Rapid 1.6 TDI
My sincere suggestion before you decide please take the test drive of Polo GT TSi. You might change your decision :-).

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 2nd November 2013 at 12:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks