Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 22:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Hi Mohit(ji),

Yes , you are very right. No doubt the GT is an experience. As I replied to Anil above, some cars are a real treat and experience like the older Palio 1.9D or the 2000's octavia or the earlier hyundai accent viva. I have been fortunate to drive these cars on long term.

Polo GT is this in todays' times.

But for me, this time logic wins over heart. At the time of booking , my family was fully with my decision, although they knowing the polo will not score on all counts. But looking at my enthusiasm for a GT , they were fine with it.

But after the GT booking went out of hand the logic has crept in.

I think one should respect their family's decision as well as they are equally happy when a new car comes home.

So I have decided for the Vento HL.

Besides, I have deal with my brother. If for any reason I dont like the Vento he will take the vento and I can go about the Polo in a year or so. So i think this will give a fair chance on knowing the Vento on long term and my decision after a year will be more stronger and confident, if at all.

I should now leave the polo gt behind and do justice to my new car and welcome the vento with all my heart and soul.
Old 29th June 2014, 10:06   #47
BHPian

Re: Vento / Rapid or VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Hi Anil,

I have gone with the Vento HL. Not that Im in a hurry to bring home a car.

Simply that after a long discussion with family and friends I have decided against the polo - even if it was Polo that I was looking forward to.

I do fully realise what a hot hatch can mean. I have been a proud owner of a Palio 1.9D and I can safely say that was one of the finest hatchback I have lived with. Sadly, I died a premature death at 110,000 kms of usage in less than 3 years.

My decision on Vento was based on Boot space and highway behaviour. Besides I perhaps made a mistake in my earlier posts. Its true that I travel solo most of the time, but what when I travel with my family ? I would be comfortable driving the polo on long drives , but what about the person if and when sitting behind and the luggage for all ?

Unfortunately, I had to rationalise my decision.
Congratulations, its good to know that you finally made up your mind.Now stick to the decision. I had a tendency to waver even after paying advance.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Keep My VW Polo 1.6 OR Upgrade To The 2017 VW Vento?

Hi everyone,

I own a 2011 manufactured (Feb 2012 registered) VW Polo 1.6. It has done around 63k kms till date and still going strong. The car has never given me any issues at all and I totally love it. Of course, it will completer 05 years this month and I am wondering whether to upgrade it to the upcoming 2017 Vento or just keep the car.

If I do go for the Vento, it will be the TSI DSG variant. Now, how different will both these cars be in terms of power and over all feel considering that the TSI is a 1.2 liter turbo engine with 105 bhp and 175 Nm torque as compared to my naturally aspirated 1.6 liter engine with 105 bhp and 153 Nm torque. I also own a 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 Highline DSG so well aware with the feel of the DSG gearbox.

In terms of power, I assume the TSI will pick up better due to the slightly additional torque, but will I miss anything else of the 1.6 liter?
Old 13th February 2017, 17:59   #49
BANNED

Re: Keep My VW Polo 1.6 OR Upgrade To The 2017 VW Vento?

I wouldn't suggest you get the vento. It's the same 5 year old platform and would rather recommend you wait for one more year when the completely new Polo/ vento come in the market.
Or if budget isn't that much of a concern, a Jetta MT with discounts might not be too much more than a vento high line plus.
Old 13th February 2017, 18:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hello there,
I seriously don't see any need to upgrade here.
You car is running fine without any issues, and you have a larger car in your garage now.
It is better to wait for newer generation polo/vento.
It could be a different story, if you would have had the 1.2 3cyl, but you have the 1.6. That is no slouch!
Old 13th February 2017, 19:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

1.6 NA to 1.2 Tsi ain't a huge upgrade to be honest. All you will get is a bigger boot and more rear legroom. If that is what you desire go for it. Else look out for a better car once you have a bigger budget to put in.
Old 13th February 2017, 19:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

In terms of power, I assume the TSI will pick up better due to the slightly additional torque, but will I miss anything else of the 1.6 liter?
Not just the additional torque, being a turbo petrol, that peak torque is available right from 1400 rpm right upto 4000 odd rpm. So that will make a big difference especially mated to an excellent dsg.

Having said that, unless you urgently need an automatic, it makes sense to wait for another year. Although the 2017 car has tons of additional features, it is essentially the same car and when you sit it the cabin you will notice that most of the obvious things remain the same. So that feel of a nice upgrade after 5 years maybe missing.
Old 13th February 2017, 22:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Questions you have to ask/convince yourself:

1. Do I need an automatic?
2. Do I need another 'big'ish car?
3. Casually enquire what the Polo 1.6 would sell for, do the math for Vitamin M needed for the Vento TSI. Apetite for Vento TSI still there yet?

Apart from all these, VW is one crazy manufacturer that keeps adding a feature a year You don't want to end up regretting down the line. Why I bought this early? Its fairly loaded with all you need from an allrounder sedan already, but just saying. And here again, you have an allrounder sedan and future proof (with DSG6 not DSG7) at that at home.

Last edited by narayans80 : 13th February 2017 at 22:33.
Old 14th February 2017, 13:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys! Thank you all for your valuable inputs. What I forgot to mention is the reason why I was looking for an upgrade.

We had been blessed with a baby girl on 28th Jan 2017 and hence was looking for a practical city car to accommodate 04 adults with the baby and her stuff. I have the Jetta but it at times is too big for regular city driving. I would rather use it for outstation trips. My Polo 1.6 has a decent boot but can be cramped at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I wouldn't suggest you get the vento. It's the same 5 year old platform and would rather recommend you wait for one more year when the completely new Polo/ vento come in the market.
Or if budget isn't that much of a concern, a Jetta MT with discounts might not be too much more than a vento high line plus.
Since I already have the 2015 Jetta TDI Highline DSG, and my reasons above of its size being an issue at times, another Jetta is out of the question. I was looking at the new upcoming Vento not the current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Hello there,
I seriously don't see any need to upgrade here.
You car is running fine without any issues, and you have a larger car in your garage now.
It is better to wait for newer generation polo/vento.
It could be a different story, if you would have had the 1.2 3cyl, but you have the 1.6. That is no slouch!
Yes the 1.6 is an amazing car! Was only wondering since it is 5 years old and whether the GT TSI would be a worthy replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
1.6 NA to 1.2 Tsi ain't a huge upgrade to be honest. All you will get is a bigger boot and more rear legroom. If that is what you desire go for it. Else look out for a better car once you have a bigger budget to put in.
Well the idea is to get a car with a bigger boot than the Polo which is good for city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not just the additional torque, being a turbo petrol, that peak torque is available right from 1400 rpm right upto 4000 odd rpm. So that will make a big difference especially mated to an excellent dsg.

Having said that, unless you urgently need an automatic, it makes sense to wait for another year. Although the 2017 car has tons of additional features, it is essentially the same car and when you sit it the cabin you will notice that most of the obvious things remain the same. So that feel of a nice upgrade after 5 years maybe missing.
Your point is duly noted, I may just have to wait for another year then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Questions you have to ask/convince yourself:

1. Do I need an automatic?
2. Do I need another 'big'ish car?
3. Casually enquire what the Polo 1.6 would sell for, do the math for Vitamin M needed for the Vento TSI. Apetite for Vento TSI still there yet?

Apart from all these, VW is one crazy manufacturer that keeps adding a feature a year You don't want to end up regretting down the line. Why I bought this early? Its fairly loaded with all you need from an allrounder sedan already, but just saying. And here again, you have an allrounder sedan and future proof (with DSG6 not DSG7) at that at home.
I was never really an automatic fan, but after experiencing the DSG, it is the only automatic I would want to drive. I do not think my Polo 1.6 will fetch more than 3.5 lakhs; maybe less.
Old 14th February 2017, 14:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Epic;4145636We had been blessed with a baby girl on 28th Jan 2017 and hence was looking for a practical city car to accommodate 04 adults with the baby and her stuff.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your little one!

Car seat do occupy quite a bit of space, so 4 adults+car seat is going to be a squeeze. This regardless of the car you choose. 3 adults+car seat would be ideal. In which case, you get these options:

1. Polo TSI - Compact dimensions, decent boot space, build quality, Slightly enthusiastic motor.
2. Ecosport AT - Loaded with safety, especially ISOFIX. Not so enthusiastic as Polo, but get about 80 liters of boot extra.
3. Vento TSI - Polo TSI+better rear seating (you have to decide whether you rear seat space always). Dimensions are slightly on the larger side, depends on how comfortable you are in day-day city driving conditions.
4. City - Primary suggesting for ISOFIX.

All above options are going to put you off by 11-15 lakhs (excluding Polo resale) depending on what you choose. If you are looking something lesser Figo DCT, Aspire DCT are some of the options available. But you need to convince yourself on build quality seeing them in flesh.
Old 14th February 2017, 15:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I own a 2011 manufactured (Feb 2012 registered) VW Polo 1.6. It has done around 63k kms till date and still going strong. The car has never given me any issues at all and I totally love it. Of course, it will completer 05 years this month and I am wondering whether to upgrade it to the upcoming 2017 Vento or just keep the car.

If I do go for the Vento, it will be the TSI DSG variant. Now, how different will both these cars be in terms of power and over all feel considering that the TSI is a 1.2 liter turbo engine with 105 bhp and 175 Nm torque as compared to my naturally aspirated 1.6 liter engine with 105 bhp and 153 Nm torque. I also own a 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 Highline DSG so well aware with the feel of the DSG gearbox.

Even though peak torque in 1.2 TSI is higher and power is same, the way it delivers is different. The torque comes earlier and this turbo petrol is all about its mid range. Pick up will be similar. In some tests , the 1.6 was faster to 60 by a whisker, with 1.2 clawing back by 100. The 1.2 does not need to be revved to deliver. But she loves revving too. 1.2 I think will be more drivable especially with the DSG . But you will miss the singing top end of your 1.6. but the DSG will make up for it. Vento TSI DSG is a worthy replacement. But not an upgrade per se. Apart from the extra space which will be beneficial for your child

Last edited by rageshgr : 14th February 2017 at 15:29.
Old 14th February 2017, 15:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:

There is already a Jetta in your household so question is even with a new born baby you need another big car? Already own a Jetta why buy Vento even if it is TSI, I for one would get bored within few months with so many VW cars in garage.

Personally I see no reason to let go current Polo unless there is a itch to buy new car. If that is the reason then would it not be better to try something new?

In manuals try Fiat Abarth unless in hatch AT is required.
Old 14th February 2017, 16:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Congratulations on your little one!

Car seat do occupy quite a bit of space, so 4 adults+car seat is going to be a squeeze. This regardless of the car you choose. 3 adults+car seat would be ideal. In which case, you get these options:

1. Polo TSI - Compact dimensions, decent boot space, build quality, Slightly enthusiastic motor.
2. Ecosport AT - Loaded with safety, especially ISOFIX. Not so enthusiastic as Polo, but get about 80 liters of boot extra.
3. Vento TSI - Polo TSI+better rear seating (you have to decide whether you rear seat space always). Dimensions are slightly on the larger side, depends on how comfortable you are in day-day city driving conditions.
4. City - Primary suggesting for ISOFIX.

All above options are going to put you off by 11-15 lakhs (excluding Polo resale) depending on what you choose. If you are looking something lesser Figo DCT, Aspire DCT are some of the options available. But you need to convince yourself on build quality seeing them in flesh.
Thank you for your wishes. I would prefer the Europeans simply because of the build quality. I would also prefer a car with ISOFIX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Even though peak torque in 1.2 TSI is higher and power is same, the way it delivers is different. The torque comes earlier and this turbo petrol is all about its mid range. Pick up will be similar. In some tests , the 1.6 was faster to 60 by a whisker, with 1.2 clawing back by 100. The 1.2 does not need to be revved to deliver. But she loves revving too. 1.2 I think will be more drivable especially with the DSG . But you will miss the singing top end of your 1.6. but the DSG will make up for it. Vento TSI DSG is a worthy replacement. But not an upgrade per se. Apart from the extra space which will be beneficial for your child
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
There is already a Jetta in your household so question is even with a new born baby you need another big car? Already own a Jetta why buy Vento even if it is TSI, I for one would get bored within few months with so many VW cars in garage.

Personally I see no reason to let go current Polo unless there is a itch to buy new car. If that is the reason then would it not be better to try something new?

In manuals try Fiat Abarth unless in hatch AT is required.
What abut the Honda Jazz?
Old 14th February 2017, 18:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
What abut the Honda Jazz?
Honda Jazz and Polo 1.6 are not in same league and miles apart.

Polo 1.6 can be compared to likes of Abarth or Polo TSi.

Whereas Jazz to i20, Swift etc.

I would choose Ford Figo 1.5 over Jazz.
Old 15th February 2017, 15:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Honda Jazz and Polo 1.6 are not in same league and miles apart.

Polo 1.6 can be compared to likes of Abarth or Polo TSi.

Whereas Jazz to i20, Swift etc.

I would choose Ford Figo 1.5 over Jazz.
Oh no I was comparing them in terms of space, not power or build quality. In terms of power and build quality my Polo 1.6 is a stunner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks