Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:36   #16
BHPian

re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

As many of them already said Ertiga would be your best bet. It has almost all things right for elderly family members.

We have an Ertiga ZDI at home and have no complaints about it from my parents. We had Ford Fiesta Classic prior to this and I enjoyed driving it but the rear seat was too upright and leg room space was less than Ertiga. Have driven Ertiga in the same stretches recently when I visited my Parents and can say it doesn't lack much on the drive factor.

It's like Amby/Wagon-R on seat height, Ingress/egress and with all round adjustments on the second row, it makes even more comfortable for long drives.

Only problem with the Ertiga is that even if you fold down the third row seats, you cant carry very heavy weights (like motors/Farm equipments) like in a Scorpio as it will be on the back of the seat and not any metal plate or so. But as you will be retaining the Scorpio, this is not going to be a bigger issue for you.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:43   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

I would also suggest you the Ertiga here. Don't go for the verna. The rear seat is very claustrophobic and your parents would be tortured there. Try it out yourself if you don't believe me. And since they are short in height it will become even more claustrophobic for them. Ertiga appears to be the ideal choice here. Also offers you the extra flexibility coupled with MSIL after sales service.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

The car with best ingress and egress wins here, no prizes for guessing it will be ERTIGA. It can do multiple roles apart from usage by your parents.

Since they will occupy back seat on most occasions, I would recommend Vxi for them.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:04   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Since they will occupy back seat on most occasions, I would recommend Vxi for them.
Why NOT ZXi?

Can we know the reason for you suggesting VXi?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why NOT ZXi?

Can we know the reason for you suggesting VXi?

Anurag.
If he can afford surely Zxi, but as far as comfort is concerned for parents, we have most of the things in Vxi,i have not gone through the comparison, but AFAIK rear seat wise Vxi and ZXi are similar.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If he can afford surely Zxi, but as far as comfort is concerned for parents, we have most of the things in Vxi,i have not gone through the comparison, but AFAIK rear seat wise Vxi and ZXi are similar.
I think what anurag meant is that the Vxi has neither ABS (which at least is standard on the Vdi) nor airbags. When buying a car for one's parents, safety should be the primary concern.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:18   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Quoting from the OP,

Quote:
3) Safety Features
Even though the car would be chauffeured driven most of the time at city speed, I would prefer that the car comes with ABS + EBD at the least. Particularly because, inn Monsoon seasons, the rains can last for days continuously and often the roads become very slippery. Presence of Airbags preferable.
Just went through the Ertiga website and it says ABS+EBD and Brake Assist is Optional in VXi but the Airbags are NOT available in VXi. Hence I recommend the ZXi.

PS: No offence Silverado!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Don't go for Verna. For me, its rear seats are not at all comfortable for old people.

Ertiga may be the right choice here. You get extended 2nd row leg room and peace of mind for service support. Even the resale value after x years may be best among the lot.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 00:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Did the test drive of Ertiga Zxi today (at Rana Motors, Safdarjung Enclave). It drives a bit like Swift, which is a good thing and I found the city drive-ability of the 1.4 K-series Petrol Engine very smooth, responsive and its quite rev happy too. I went with my little brother (who is around 5'9", I am 5'6"). He said, its an Innova. I said, its a Swift trying to be an Innova. But I can clearly see where his opinion is going. I can feel he is less enthusiastic about this car. Anyway we tried many permutation of seating position, comfortability and leg room space on the 2nd and 3rd rows. With adjusted 2nd seat with adequate space, to my surprise, the 3rd row leg room and under thigh support is not that bad. I meant, its manageable for short journeys which is 99% the times the car would be used for. However, the test drive Ertiga was badly abused car, with very dirty interiors and it put our moods off. The gear knob was loose, the height adjuster lever feels thin with rough around the edges. The beige fabric seats were greasy, with all kind of dust/dirt on the linings. Though the car seems to be screwed up well together, there is certain feel of cheapness in some of the plastics (and all beige does not help) and that instills some doubt on the durability and longevity of the car after it has driven on roads like this for few years:
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga-potholes.jpg

Just adjacent to the Maruti dealer was Ford. And we went there too, to have a closer look at the EcoSport ( a second time for me) and experience and compare with Ertiga. Suddenly, my younger brother became all alive and smiling and appreciating the little devil. I can understand why! Its truly difficult to not express one's sentiment after seeing the Ecosport Titanium. We test drove the 1.5 diesel for few kms (as there were no 1.5L Petrol or Ecoboost EcoSport for test drives). Its great, fun to drive and the salesman was explaining me how there is a sea change in Ford's service/spare parts availability, its commitment to Indian Market. Anyway, after the test drive, a voice inside me tells me - screw the 3rd row, leg rooms etc. just get this devil! Its so cute!

To be Contd.

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th February 2014 at 00:44.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:12   #25
BHPian

How long is the waiting period for Ecosport there? I hope whatever you choose, you need to get your family in the car and watch their reactions first.

Hey, same predicament right now as yours but Hyundai is out for me, so is Tata.
My choices right now are Honda City (& Amaze), Ford Classic, VW Vento & Ford Ecosport.

Ecosport is out due to it having a huge waiting period. I personally love Ford's handling and driving ergonomics.
Honda makes a good case as well, hate the gear shift in Honda though, feels like a toy and absolutely does not inspire confidence to me.
VW Vento - Very good car overall, but service remains a concern.
Maruti: Ertiga is a decent, fill it shut it, forget it, kind of a car but I am always wary of the Maruti's safety, so this is out.

Probably going to as my family to take a test drive of the all cars now and then decide on the spot. Again, personally, I love the Ford and leaning towards then Classic (however the old looks and 'almost' phased out status is the only concern).
Old 24th February 2014, 11:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

So, a twist. My siblings are keen over the Ecosport. Moreover, my parents are used to travelling on SUV/MUVs all their life (my father being a retd. Police Officer). So, they don't care much of the car as long as it provides high seating and can withstand the bad roads and potholes. And about the 3rd rows, the view is that as we have the Scorpio, so if the need arise for ferrying more passengers, both cars would take the journey. All I was trying to do was, reason with my mind to opt for the right/ideal car. However, it seems I am the only one in my family in considering the Ertiga.

So, I spoke to the Ford dealer and there is a white 1.5 Diesel Trend variant available for grab (as someone's loan got declined from the bank). And the on-road cost would be Rs 8.80 lacs (after the excise cut). This is almost the price of Ertiga petrol ZXi onroad. heck, the onroad price for the same variant in New Delhi is around 9.30 on road. My siblings are of the opinion that its a steal (because of the diesel economy and the long waiting periods that exists).

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
How long is the waiting period for Ecosport there? I hope whatever you choose, you need to get your family in the car and watch their reactions first.

Hey, same predicament right now as yours but Hyundai is out for me, so is Tata.
My choices right now are Honda City (& Amaze), Ford Classic, VW Vento & Ford Ecosport.

Ecosport is out due to it having a huge waiting period. I personally love Ford's handling and driving ergonomics.
Honda makes a good case as well, hate the gear shift in Honda though, feels like a toy and absolutely does not inspire confidence to me.
VW Vento - Very good car overall, but service remains a concern.
Maruti: Ertiga is a decent, fill it shut it, forget it, kind of a car but I am always wary of the Maruti's safety, so this is out.

Probably going to as my family to take a test drive of the all cars now and then decide on the spot. Again, personally, I love the Ford and leaning towards then Classic (however the old looks and 'almost' phased out status is the only concern).
Its 3 months and more for the Ecoboost 1L petrol and Diesel! They are not taking any booking for 1.5L petrol at all.

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th February 2014 at 12:02.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:15   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
So, a twist. My siblings are keen over the Ecosport.

So, I spoke to the Ford dealer and there is a white 1.5 Diesel Trend variant available for grab (as someone's loan got declined from the bank). And the on-road cost would be Rs 8.80 lacs (after the excise cut). This is almost the price of Ertiga petrol ZXi onroad. heck, the onroad price for the same variant in New Delhi is around 9.30 on road. My siblings are of the opinion that its a steal (because of the diesel economy and the long waiting periods that exists).

What do you guys think?
Not the top choice for the purpose, but the 2nd best from the list of cars in the thread title. Your folks are clearly smitten by the EcoSport's styling and that seems to be tilting the scales in its favour.

Other than the looks factor, the Ertiga is far more suitable for your parents. Easier ingress / egress, significantly better ride quality, airbags can be opted for, 3rd row of seats and more cargo room.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, a twist. My siblings are keen over the Ecosport. Moreover, my parents are used to travelling on SUV/MUVs all their life (my father being a retd. Police Officer). So, they don't care much of the car as long as it provides high seating and can withstand the bad roads and potholes.

What do you guys think?
Just something that popped into my head...are your parents not tagging along for the Test Drives? Since the car is primarily for their comfort, they should have a say too. I can completely get why the Ecosport is being picked (it looks quite nice, after all), but your parents must experience it as well as the Ertiga before you make any decision. In terms of withstanding bad roads and potholes, I'm sure both cars will manage this just fine, but it's a case of head over heart, with the Ertiga being the sensible choice and the Ecosport ruling the heart. Personally, I'd take your parents opinion and then take a decision, although the Ertiga seems quite well suited to their needs, more so than the Ecosport.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Just something that popped into my head...are your parents not tagging along for the Test Drives?
+1. I too feel you should ask for the opinion of the primary customer, which in this case, are your parents. If you are in Delhi and they are in Shillong then ask them to pay a visit to both, Maruti and Ford showrooms, and get chauffeured test drives .
Old 24th February 2014, 13:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Just something that popped into my head...are your parents not tagging along for the Test Drives? Since the car is primarily for their comfort, they should have a say too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
+1. I too feel you should ask for the opinion of the primary customer, which in this case, are your parents. If you are in Delhi and they are in Shillong then ask them to pay a visit to both, Maruti and Ford showrooms, and get chauffeured test drives .
Forgot to mention, there is no test drive vehicle available in that only FORD dealership (in the state). They say, it met with an accident and is under repair. I have anyway contacted even the only Maruti dealership in the state for a test drive of Ertiga with my parents. So, waiting for their response.

Most Viewed