Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 11:07   #46
BHPian

Re: New car: Verna Fluidic vs Ford Classic (almost the same price)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hello people,

Thanks
Tapish
I'd suggest taking a look at Honda Brio/Amaze, Maruti Dzire. Your present experience with the Esteem also includes easy maintenance above all else. And japs are ahead of all others..
Maybe look at the new Honda City as well - awesome bang for the buck, and reliable.

And if you're more keen on Ford, I'd suggest the classic as the best compromise. Although the spares will be an issue after maybe 2 years or so.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Requirements:
1. Should be fun to drive. The Esteem has set a good benchmark, and we would like the next car to at least match, if not surpass the experience.
2. Budget: Ideally below 10 lacs, the lower the better (It frees up cash for a Bullet 500 DS that we have eyed for long)
3. Comfortable for long drives: My car was always used for long drives, as my office commute barely amounted to 4-5 kms a day, my brother will have a similar usage pattern, so the car needs to be a reliable and comfortable highway cruncher.
4. Bells & whistles: My car is totally stock even today (despite running a car accessories business for a year), so an upgrade on this front shall be nice. ABS is important, Airbags not so much.
5. Fuel: Petrol it shall be! Usage does not warrant a diesel at all.
6. Time Frame: Anytime in the next 4-5 months. The Esteem is running fine, and we can wait for a better model.
7. Service network: The car shall be used for a lot of highway travel, hence a good service network is a must. Not looking at Fiat/ Renault/ Nissan because of this.

Main players:
This is where the confusion starts. Bro had his eyes on the Endeavour before it was vetoed by the family as too expensive. Right now, our bucket list has everything from the Ritz to the Verna. However, the main contenders are the Verna Fluidic and the Ford Classic.
Buy the Fiesta Classic! However, if you are even considering something like a verna, please just wait a couple of months for the Alivio/Ciaz. Should be everything you want
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:35   #48
BANNED

Ford Fiesta classic, No doubt.

Handles well, looks decent enough and is not that heavy on maintenance.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

@Tapish---I strongly suggest the Ford Fiesta Classic. Despite being around for 9 years, it still looks admirable when compared to later models like the New Fiesta or others with the 'Fluidic' or 'Kinetic' design.

The New Verna is good with its CRDI engine, but the petrol does not shine.This apart, most Hyundais are known to be sloppy handlers. Take one for a TD above 100 kmph and you will know its traits.

Even if Ford discontinues the Classic this year or next, spares will still be manufactured for another decade. So no worries on this count.

And if you've read my long term ownership thread, you'll realize that the Classic is very pocket-friendly. Most comments about maintenance costs are by ignorant non-Ford owners. It is actually Maruti and Hyundai that have spiralling service costs. There are plenty of threads on this forum to justify this. And by the way, I own a Maruti too.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 17:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

I wouldn't suggest the Ford Classic just for the simple reason that it is really too old now. I know you are upgrading from the Esteem but then that is no reason to be buying a new car which is already in its last stages. A petrol Sedan under 10L has to be the Honda city for me. Its efficient, FTD and reliable. The current car is a new launch and hence you don't need to worry about a change of model for many years to come, helping the resale value too.

Having said that, if you are getting a 2.5L Rs discount on the Verna then I will blindly buy that. The handling has been much criticized on the forum but sometimes we tend to make mountains out of molehills. The Verna handles pretty well on all legal speed limits. That is what you are going to be driving at 99% of the times. Just take a TD and see if you really hate the handling so much to let go off such a massive discount.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 20:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Requirements:
1. Should be fun to drive. The Esteem has set a good benchmark, and we would like the next car to at least match, if not surpass the experience.
3. Comfortable for long drives: My car was always used for long drives, as my office commute barely amounted to 4-5 kms a day, my brother will have a similar usage pattern, so the car needs to be a reliable and comfortable highway cruncher....
Hyundais simply do NOT fall here!

Quote:
7. Service network: The car shall be used for a lot of highway travel, hence a good service network is a must. Not looking at Fiat/ Renault/ Nissan because of this...
Curious why a Ford is NOT listed here, but a Fiat?! Ford, from what I read here, has a worser reputation than Fiat (which I personally experienced is GOOD, they are freakin generous with respect to warranty replacements).

Above preference alone would tilt the table in favor of Maruti / Hyundai / TATA. But since TATA does NOT have any FTD petrols, you might want to check the Maruti / Hyundai offerings.

Quote:
....Requirements:
1. Ford Classic petrol: Great value for money, sturdy build and fun to drive. Not too concerned with outdated looks (I am upgrading from a 9 year old car, even the old is not too old for me)

2. Hyundai Verna: Doesn't handle well, but bro has a fantastic discount on this one. The top end petrol would cost us 2.5L less than the market price, and bro likes the looks of the car + he is fascinated by all the gizmos in there. This may also lead to an i20, considering a similar discount...
Among these, Fiesta 1.6 is the pick, eyes shut! But spartan list of features compared to almost anything in the (segment) market - may have Toyota & Honda competing with them though (on lack of features).

Quote:
....Requirements:
Others somewhere along in the fray:

1. Ford Ecosport: Good looks, technically advanced!
2. Maruti Ritz: I like the quirky styling of the Ritz, + I drove it once and found it to be pretty nice.
3. XA Alpha? Others coming in within the near future?

Out of this, Ecosport should be the choice if you can spend that much. I would rate Swift ahead of Ritz on the FTD factor as well; the problem would be in the space department (rear + boot).

XA should be ready ONLY by 2016 IIRC. It would be a good idea to wait till Oct-Nov this year, if you can. Discounts + New models will be out at this time.

----------------------------------------------

Blame me, but a Linea T-Jet looks quite ideal for you; with a bit of risk with A$$ ! But frankly, I have NOT read about T-Jets having any reliable issues. Or probably an Ertiga 1.4 ? My friend who was in the market was really impressed by the petrol Ertiga that he wanted to buy one immediately. He liked it better than diesel Ertiga.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th June 2014 at 20:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 20:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hello people,

Its been ages since I have longed to post in this thread. Finally, seems like its time for a new car.

Thanks
Tapish
+1 to swiftnfurious's post. Fiat and Ford are at the same par when it comes to service. It varies from one individual to another.

Based on your requirements, the Linea seems an apt choice (unless you really hate Fiat. ) It is a FTD car and the build quality is excellent. The T-Jet will definitely put a big grin to your face, every time you drive it.

The new Honda city is also a good option and you will not have to worry about the A.S.S and maintenance.

Quote:
Others somewhere along in the fray:

1. Ford Ecosport: Good looks, technically advanced!
2. Maruti Ritz: I like the quirky styling of the Ritz, + I drove it once and found it to be pretty nice.
3. XA Alpha? Others coming in within the near future?
Of the choices mentioned above, I would go with Fiesta classic. It is an ageing car, but it has aged really well. My FIL owns one for the past 7 years and except for the periodic services, haven't really faced any issues in the car. I was never a big fan of Ecosport and its cramped room. But it has got plenty of bells and whistles and nifty engine, so it's your call.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 10:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

Another point is, both my parents travelling at the same time could be 20% of the time. And mostly, my parent occupies the front passenger seats. So, the concern about the uncomfortable/lesser leg room on the rear is not much of a great deal.
Good decision going with the Ecosport, your parents are already used to driving SUV's since ages and this would suit them perfectly. When they will be driving most of the time, you saved them the headache of parking a huge car.( innova )

Quote:
So, even though Ertiga may offer 90% of my requirements, we decided to choose the underdog, EcoSport, that offers 80% of the requirements, with euro build quality and cheaper.
If you had choosen the Ertiga, then i would have suggested you to wait for the Mobilio. Again it a a cross between the build quality of the Maruti and Ford.

Quote:
Roads are very bad, and with fame Maruti's build quality, it won't last long (Everytime I visit Imphal, I see most small cars and sedans (Maruti, Hyundai) have scrapped underbody and side and rattled like crazy).

Definitely, the Ecosport has a better build than the Ertiga, but this does not mean it can handle those bad roads with ease. Few of the Ecosport threads are starting the reveal the rattling issues of the car. But with that ground clearance and the obvious care from your parents they wouldn't face any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Is there any other option apart from innova. The main criteria is comfort and the car should have a reclining seat.

Can you recommend any other vehicle over Innova.
I suggest you to wait for the Mobilio. You will have a new car in the market and you will not have to face the monotony of the innova. Speculated news is that it will offer a tough competition to the innova and the Ertiga. Below link has few images

http://www.rushlane.com/honda-mobili...-12119773.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Not sure how good or bad is the Nissan Terrano but i have heard that the ride quality is very good.
Does Terrano offer a better ride quality than innova?
The terrano is a very good car, Space again depends on how many people travel in the car. If more than 2 then terrano fits perfectly. Also the ride quality is amazing. But if more than 4 people need to travel then innova fits in perfectly.

Quote:
Should be fun to drive.
Ford Fiesta classic, Vento, Maruti Desire.

Quote:
Budget: Ideally below 10 lacs, the lower the better (It frees up cash for a Bullet 500 DS that we have eyed for long)
There are 3 cars that fit below 10 lacks
1. Amaze
2. Dzire ( the reason i mentioned it in point one)
3. Xcent ( Not fun to drive)

If you can strech your budget a little. The vento would be a hoot to drive.

Quote:
Comfortable for long drives: My car was always used for long drives, as my office commute barely amounted to 4-5 kms a day, my brother will have a similar usage pattern, so the car needs to be a reliable and comfortable highway cruncher.
I guess depending on the number of people traveling, you can also consider a MUV. In sedans Fiesta classic, The New Honda City, Vento are all good in terms of the highway driving.

Quote:
Bells & whistles: My car is totally stock even today (despite running a car accessories business for a year), so an upgrade on this front shall be nice. ABS is important, Airbags not so much.
Cars with good bells and whistles around your budget.

1. Ecosport ( But i see, you are not in favour of this car )
2. Xcent ( Not fun to drive but goodies are there )
3. Vento
4. Honda City

Quote:
Fuel: Petrol it shall be! Usage does not warrant a diesel at all.
I seem to have missed this point, All the above i suggested with diesel in Mind. If you can stretch a bit, Eyes close choose the Honda City. Others car in petrol that are good

1. Xcent
2. Dzire
3. Amaze ( If budget a constraint, this will perfectly fit in )
4. Fiesta classic ( You sure? it almost phased out)
5. Vento

Quote:
Service network: The car shall be used for a lot of highway travel, hence a good service network is a must. Not looking at Fiat/ Renault/ Nissan because of this.
Maruti, Honda and Hyundai have a head ache free service network. The VW's and Ford's fail to relieve you from head aches.

Quote:
Ford Classic petrol: Great value for money, sturdy build and fun to drive. Not too concerned with outdated looks (I am upgrading from a 9 year old car, even the old is not too old for me)
I understand that this car perfectly fits in for all your needs but coming out from a 9 year old car, you may explore or consider new options in the market? Considering ford's after sales in few cities i would not suggest to go for a car that might be stopped soon. If you choose to keep this car for another 9 years then spares might be a problem

Quote:
Hyundai Verna: Doesn't handle well, but bro has a fantastic discount on this one. The top end petrol would cost us 2.5L less than the market price, and bro likes the looks of the car + he is fascinated by all the gizmos in there. This may also lead to an i20, considering a similar discount.
This car got its fame from the diesel Model, petrol i dont think hyundai sold in good numbers. Even the elantra Petrol hardly had any takers. I suggest you to consider the Maruti Ciaz ( will be out in 3 months time ). Maruti Petrol's were always a hoot to drive.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 6th June 2014 at 10:33.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 11:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
....I was never a big fan of Ecosport and its cramped room. But it has got plenty of bells and whistles and nifty engine, so it's your call.
To be honest, the Ecosport ends up with better space (than Fiesta Classic) due to the tall seating. The 4m length might fool people to think it's cramped while in reality, it's much better. In the rear, it can accommodate a 5"11 guy behind a 5"11 guy. That would satisfy at least 95% of the passengers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:16. Reason: As requested
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should be fun to drive.
Fun to drive = VW GT TSI.

Option two, Toyota Liva TRD petrol
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 16:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be honest, the Ecosport ends up with better space (than Fiesta Classic) due to the tall seating. The 4m length might fool people to think it's cramped while in reality, it's much better. In the rear, it was accommodate a 5"11 guy behind a 5"11 guy. That would satisfy at least 95% of the passengers.
Agreed. The 4m is indeed deceptive, but when I had adjusted the driver's seat for my position, I was not impressed with the space behind me. I am exactly 6 feet tall and prefer a relaxed driving position.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 16:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Requirements:
2. Budget: Ideally below 10 lacs, the lower the better (It frees up cash for a Bullet 500 DS that we have eyed for long)
3. Comfortable for long drives: My car was always used for long drives, as my office commute barely amounted to 4-5 kms a day, my brother will have a similar usage pattern, so the car needs to be a reliable and comfortable highway cruncher.
4. Bells & whistles: My car is totally stock even today (despite running a car accessories business for a year), so an upgrade on this front shall be nice. ABS is important, Airbags not so much.
6. Time Frame: Anytime in the next 4-5 months. The Esteem is running fine, and we can wait for a better model.
7. Service network: The car shall be used for a lot of highway travel, hence a good service network is a must. Not looking at Fiat/ Renault/ Nissan because of this.
There is one more car that you can consider, specially since you are looking at all the "Bells and Whistles" - the Hyundai Xcent 1.2 SX(O).

The feature list is awesome, ( you get ACC, airbags, ABS, rear parking camera and sensors, electrically foldable mirrors and seat/steering adjust and many more), together with a very refined driving experience and decent build quality inside and out.

As for "Fun to drive", well its no Fiesta Classic, but its no slouch either. The power delivery is linear and strong, and the engine is extremely revv happy.

Whats more, waiting periods are about 2-3 months, which is within your acceptable limit.

Frankly, i suggest you take a TD of Fiesta classic and Xcent back to back. You will surely feel like as if driving a higher segment car on driving the Xcent after the outdated Classic.

What's more, i think the Hyundai's A.S.S is defnitly better than Ford.
Enough said.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th June 2014 at 16:40.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 18:50   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Requirements:
For the requirements you mentioned, I would recommend the Linea T-Jet, or the Polo GT TSI. The Ford Classic maybe a good car, but a bit too old IMO.
And please do not skip on the airbags. Happy shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 11:23   #59
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for your inputs. Seems like the 4-5 month period just got extended to about 10-12 months. I seemed to have jumped the gun in my excitement. However, the good thing is that it keeps the window open for new models to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Your present experience with the Esteem also includes easy maintenance above all else. And japs are ahead of all others.Maybe look at the new Honda City as well - awesome bang for the buck, and reliable.
That is right Sam. Will look at the city too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Buy the Fiesta Classic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Ford Fiesta classic, No doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@Tapish---I strongly suggest the Ford Fiesta Classic.
And if you've read my long term ownership thread, you'll realize that the Classic is very pocket-friendly. Most comments about maintenance costs are by ignorant non-Ford owners. It is actually Maruti and Hyundai that have spiralling service costs. There are plenty of threads on this forum to justify this. And by the way, I own a Maruti too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Ford Fiesta classic, Vento, Maruti Desire.
If you can strech your budget a little. The vento would be a hoot to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Of the choices mentioned above, I would go with Fiesta classic.
So this group seems keen on the Classic. I have my eyes on it too. Only if Ford continues offering it in March- April 2015. Maybe at even lower prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A petrol Sedan under 10L has to be the Honda city for me. Its efficient, FTD and reliable. The current car is a new launch and hence you don't need to worry about a change of model for many years to come, helping the resale value too.
Hey Mohit, its been ages since we met last time at the GK BHP meet. Lets plan that again too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hyundais simply do NOT fall here!
Among these, Fiesta 1.6 is the pick, eyes shut! But spartan list of features compared to almost anything in the (segment) market - may have Toyota &
Hey swiftnfurious, I see your disdain for Hyundais. Get your point. Maybe Toyota gets the RAV4 here in a year. As for cramped spaces, we are pahadis, the tallest guy in my family is 5.6" Leg space was never an issue with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
There is one more car that you can consider, specially since you are looking at all the "Bells and Whistles" - the Hyundai Xcent 1.2 SX(O).
Somehow Im not a fan of hatches with boots. I would rather take the i20 over the xcent/ swift over dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Fun to drive = VW GT TSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
For the requirements you mentioned, I would recommend the Linea T-Jet, or the Polo GT TSI. The Ford Classic maybe a good car, but a bit too old IMO.
And please do not skip on the airbags. Happy shopping!
My heart does skip a beat with the mention of GT TSI. Maybe VW improves its service over the next 6-8 months for this to be a good contender.

And VB San, point taken on the airbags! Thanks!

BEst
Tapish
Old 9th June 2014, 13:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My heart does skip a beat with the mention of GT TSI. Maybe VW improves its service over the next 6-8 months for this to be a good contender.
See no reason why it should. VW service is not at such a state for you to rule out the GT. Besides; there are quite a few GT TSI owners right here and I've not read about any problems with regard to service or the car itself.

If there is a problem, its the annoying waiting period.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks