Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 13:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

I think the OP probably intended to gift the car as a surprise. However when it comes to cars its best that you thoroughly evaluate it, specially by person who is going to use it. Do ask them to check the Ecosport in person before putting down your money. At the same time the car you are getting right now might be sold off pretty fast given the long waiting periods for the Ecosport. So move quickly.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think the OP probably intended to gift the car as a surprise. However when it comes to cars its best that you thoroughly evaluate it, specially by person who is going to use it. Do ask them to check the Ecosport in person before putting down your money. At the same time the car you are getting right now might be sold off pretty fast given the long waiting periods for the Ecosport. So move quickly.
yes thought I would do a surprise, but with the uncertainty on the model/make and limited dealerships in my home state, I had to take inputs from my parents and siblings. Anyway, I have already wire transferred 40% of the payment just few hours ago to the dealer's account to book and confirm it. But it is not like, some one is going to grab it, as in this part of the world, people don't usually spent above 4-5 lacs to buy cars. From the quotation, I can see that the recent excise cut leads to reduction of ~ Rs 25K on the Trend variant (from the on-road price). Not bad . Though I would have gone for the Titanium variant if was available, the Trend seems to be VFM and it has got the crucial ABS+EBD (but not Airbags).

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th February 2014 at 19:01.
Old 24th February 2014, 19:13   #33
BHPian

It seems that this dealer in Imphal has been booking a lot of Ecosports in the 2nd from top trim. He had the same thing to say to my wife's gynaecologist who is posted as the deputy director in a large govt. hospital in Shillong and hails from Imphal. This was in December 2013.

Coming to the vehicle itself, its a wonderful decision. Complete VFM and great choice.

Last edited by SumitB : 24th February 2014 at 19:15.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 11:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

The only way I would recommend an EcoSport is if you were a bachelor who lived in areas with rough roads that's it (alright fine, I'll allow you a girlfriend and a dog too but that's all)
I drove the thing and boy was it uncomfortable. The rear especially seemed really hemmed in from every direction. It was too narrow and short on leg room. Just felt cramped and the claustrophobic cabin did not help either. I am exactly 6ft tall which perhaps is considered tall by Indian standards, but even my friend who is about 5'9 and usually crams himself anywhere, did not like the experience. Also while some think it's a bargain, I do not; It simply is not an affordable SUV. You are paying more than what you would for a premium hatch, for perhaps a couple more gizmos, raised height, cramped interiors and bits of plastic cladding. That's it! No offense meant to EcoSport fans out there

Now if you really want something like that please do consider the Safari Storme. It is well worth the money.

As many have said, of the cars shortlisted, the Ertiga is the right choice. I am not going to bother listing out its strengths but if you are worried about its durability, please do not base that on a TD car. I have driven 60+ Lakh Audis with the back molding of the front passenger seat falling off Some people (unfortunately our country has a surplus of them) just don't bother taking care. The Eritga will be perfectly alright and if it is the beige you are worried about, then spend 1+ lakhs you have saved on something like black leather seats and finishing. Or whatever, I'm sure you can come up with things to do with that extra cash.

As for the Verna, the car might be fine for city use, but ingress/egress will not be old-people friendly and if the roads are anything more than mildly undulated, expect the rear passengers to be very pissed off folk. With the way this car pitches, wallows and rolls about the place, bumpy roads become a pain after a certain extent.

Remember you are not buying the car for your younger brother. It is for your parents and if you can't take them along for a test drive since it is meant to be a surprise, please do consider taking someone else perhaps an elderly neighbor?

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 13:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The only way I would recommend an EcoSport is if you were a bachelor who lived in areas with rough roads that's it (alright fine, I'll allow you a girlfriend and a dog too but that's all)
I drove the thing and boy was it uncomfortable. The rear especially seemed really hemmed in from every direction. It was too narrow and short on leg room. Just felt cramped and the claustrophobic cabin did not help either. I am exactly 6ft tall which perhaps is considered tall by Indian standards, but even my friend who is about 5'9 and usually crams himself anywhere, did not like the experience. Also while some think it's a bargain, I do not; It simply is not an affordable SUV. You are paying more than what you would for a premium hatch, for perhaps a couple more gizmos, raised height, cramped interiors and bits of plastic cladding. That's it! No offense meant to EcoSport fans out there

Now if you really want something like that please do consider the Safari Storme. It is well worth the money.

As many have said, of the cars shortlisted, the Ertiga is the right choice. I am not going to bother listing out its strengths but if you are worried about its durability, please do not base that on a TD car. I have driven 60+ Lakh Audis with the back molding of the front passenger seat falling off Some people (unfortunately our country has a surplus of them) just don't bother taking care. The Eritga will be perfectly alright and if it is the beige you are worried about, then spend 1+ lakhs you have saved on something like black leather seats and finishing. Or whatever, I'm sure you can come up with things to do with that extra cash.

As for the Verna, the car might be fine for city use, but ingress/egress will not be old-people friendly and if the roads are anything more than mildly undulated, expect the rear passengers to be very pissed off folk. With the way this car pitches, wallows and rolls about the place, bumpy roads become a pain after a certain extent.

Remember you are not buying the car for your younger brother. It is for your parents and if you can't take them along for a test drive since it is meant to be a surprise, please do consider taking someone else perhaps an elderly neighbor?

Cheers!
Ertiga was my final contender after considering the requirements I had in mind. However, some of the points going against Ertiga (especially in my home state of Manipur):

1) Roads are very bad, and with fame Maruti's build quality, it won't last long (Everytime I visit Imphal, I see most small cars and sedans (Maruti, Hyundai) have scrapped underbody and side and rattled like crazy). And that leads me to believe the thin sheets and mediocre build quality in most Maruti's (may be different for Kizashi/Vitara as they are CBUs) can't withstand abuses and large potholes our roads have to offer. Heck, here in NCR with excellent roads, I even see many Swifts with loose bumpers, side dents etc.

2) yeah, the Ertiga Vdi with ABS was a cool 9.3 lacs onroad. Even the Zxi petrol is around 9 (expensive than the diesel variant of Ecosport)

3) We have a Scorpio. So, we don't want another bulky MUV/SUV as driving and parking in the city is very inconvenient. Moreover, Tata Safari even the lowest trim is way beyond my budget (12 lacs and above).

4) Another point is, both my parents travelling at the same time could be 20% of the time. And mostly, my parent occupies the front passenger seats. So, the concern about the uncomfortable/lesser leg room on the rear is not much of a great deal. (though there is decent leg room and under thigh support on the rear of EcoSport). My parents had been using the Scorpio for the 7-8 years with the worst body roll and bumpy ride. Even though the Ecosport's ride is stiff, it is way comfortable than being on Scorpio and it would be something of a Nirvana.

5) My siblings liked it and I am sure, my parents would also (as they had always been seated high and riding on Gypsies, Jeeps and Scorpio).

6) The exclusivity factor - Ford is relatively a recent entrance here. And especially Ecosport, there are just few sold till date. So that gives a bit of snob/exclusivity, not that it matters to us. Considering the road conditions and terrains, cars such as Ecosport, Dusters with their builds and ground clearance makes such a better sense.

So, even though Ertiga may offer 90% of my requirements, we decided to choose the underdog, EcoSport, that offers 80% of the requirements, with euro build quality and cheaper. If duster was available here, I would have bought it blindfold. (nothing against Maruti fan base though. In fact, I was one of the first buyer of SX4 when it was launched in 2007/2008)

Last edited by iTNerd : 26th February 2014 at 13:32.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:08   #36
BHPian

Guys,

I need your assistance in finalizing a car which would be chauffer driven 75% on highway and 25% in city. This is a company car and the default choice is Innova.

Apart from being overpriced, somehow i dont find innova as comfortable as it was earlier. Iam not sure but the latest innova it seems has compartively a stiffer suspension and the vibration is compartively high especially on a Mumbai pune Expressway with just two people.Its much better when 4-5 people are on board. Or maybe its the road. dont know honestly.

Is there any other option apart from innova. The main criteria is comfort and the car should have a reclining seat. Not sure how good or bad is the Nissan Terrano but i have heard that the ride quality is very good. Few questions

1. Does Terrano offer a better ride quality than innova?
2. How bad is the rear seat space?
3. Can you recommend any other vehicle over Innova.

Thanks for all your help
Old 28th February 2014, 10:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Guys,

I need your assistance in finalizing a car which would be chauffer driven 75% on highway and 25% in city. This is a company car and the default choice is Innova.

Apart from being overpriced, somehow i dont find innova as comfortable as it was earlier. Iam not sure but the latest innova it seems has compartively a stiffer suspension and the vibration is compartively high especially on a Mumbai pune Expressway with just two people.Its much better when 4-5 people are on board. Or maybe its the road. dont know honestly.

Is there any other option apart from innova. The main criteria is comfort and the car should have a reclining seat. Not sure how good or bad is the Nissan Terrano but i have heard that the ride quality is very good. Few questions

Thanks for all your help
This is actually an answer to both people on the thread.
If a little waiting time is something you can do with then the Honda Mobilio may fit right into what you are looking for. Will be priced less than the Innova and slightly higher than the Ertiga but will come with a Honda badge

Current expected Launch is June 2014: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th February 2014 at 10:45.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:35   #38
BHPian

No vehicle is going to come to the level of comfort of the Ambassador for parents but since that is not on your list all you have to do is to get a vehicle that comes close to the dimensions of the Amby especially in the knee room and ease of ingress and egress. The tall london cab is the best for parents since you can just literally walk into it. Since you stay in Imphal your best bet is going to be the Ertiga. If you do not mind the shape and the very high price tag then the Ashok Leyland Stile is also an option.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 28th February 2014 at 11:43.
Old 28th February 2014, 11:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for all your help
I don't know about the new Innova being less comfy, but I was never a fan of the Innova. Seats weren't molded to my liking and ride didn't win me over either. The Duster/Terrano on the other had does definitely have really good ride quality and if you can, try picking up a Fluence if budget permits. With the facelift announced, you ought to get massive discounts on cars in the stockyard. It has amazing ride quality, great seats and sedans always make for a better cruise
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 15:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

If you can afford the Innova with Captain seats then nothing like it. The next obvious choice would be the Duster ( or the Terrano if you want to spend extra for the same car).

Are you sure they would not be more comfortable in a sedan like Altis perhaps?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 16:29   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Guys,

Why not Scala/Sunny?

They have good amount of rear seat space to be driven in the rear seats if you are not comfortable with the Innova.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 17:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not Scala/Sunny?

They have good amount of rear seat space to be driven in the rear seats if you are not comfortable with the Innova.

Anurag.
Scala and Sunny while being excellent vehicles for those chauffeured might not be ideal for longer drives due to lack of under thigh support. The leg space is enormous but the under thigh support is slightly compromised. In the end depends upon OP's parent's height.

Last edited by drmohitg : 28th February 2014 at 17:38.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If you can afford the Innova with Captain seats then nothing like it. The next obvious choice would be the Duster ( or the Terrano if you want to spend extra for the same car).

Are you sure they would not be more comfortable in a sedan like Altis perhaps?
Thanks for the response Mohit. The problem with sedan is that you cant recline the seats like the captain seat in Innova. My travel involves once a week highway travel of 300-350 kms.

Also just want to highlight my requirement is not for my parents . I didnt want to create a seperate thread so ended up posting my query in this thread.

Also i personally feel that under thigh support in the middle captain is just average in Innova. Any way this can be increased?

I always used to wonder who buys innova at that price and now I am ending up with an Innova. I have been using Innova for the last few years. The new innova doesnt offer any change as far as rear seat is concerned for ages now.

do seats recline in a nissan terrano?
Old 1st March 2014, 07:46   #44
BANNED

Quote:
My travel involves once a week highway travel of 300-350 kms.
I still vote for an Innova if you can afford it or the Ertiga. Both cars are good in their own part and the wheelbase difference between the Innova and Ertiga is only 15mm so the cabin area is similar to the Innova but the Ertiga is available at an affordable price.

Quote:
Any way this can be increased?
Place a pillow under your thighs.

Quote:
The new innova doesnt offer any change as far as rear seat is concerned for ages now.
The point is why fix anything when it ain't broke?! When no one is complaining and sales are continuing on why should Toyota modify/change anything to the Innova?

Quote:
do seats recline in a nissan terrano?
No idea about the Terrano but the seats in the Ertiga recline.

PS: My suggestion is TD the ZDi variant of Ertiga and the Innova after which decide which to buy. My dad uses it and he paid 10.77L (OTR, Hyderabad).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:23   #45
BHPian

New car: Verna Fluidic vs Ford Classic (almost the same price)!

Hello people,

Its been ages since I have longed to post in this thread. Finally, seems like its time for a new car.

Background:
In 2009, I got a job after college, and proceeded to buy a car for my personal use in Gurgaon. After about two months, laid my eyes on a used Maruti Esteem (2005) at Mahindra FirstChoice Gurgaon. The car was company maintained, an I bought it on a whim. This was the first personal car in my family, as in our small town, we don't really need a car, and for all times we needed one, we could rely on the Ambassadors' and Gypsy's from dad's office. Expectedly, I knew nothing about cars, not even driving. I learnt to drive on this and loved the machine, taking it all over the country and writing about it on Team BHP.

I intended to keep the car for two years and upgrade. But life had other plans. Two years in my stable (read cash rich) job, there was an itch to do something more in life, and I ended up doing a great year long fellowship followed by an attempt to start up. As a result, the car upgrade was put on a backburner. Last year, I shifted abroad for higher studies and the car was kept in my garage as my dad doesn't drive.

Now, my brother is graduating next week and we intend to exchange the Esteem for a new car. I personally have been a fan of used cars, considering the value, but this time I guess it shall be a new car (as it will be bought under bro's organizational arrangement).

Requirements:
1. Should be fun to drive. The Esteem has set a good benchmark, and we would like the next car to at least match, if not surpass the experience.
2. Budget: Ideally below 10 lacs, the lower the better (It frees up cash for a Bullet 500 DS that we have eyed for long)
3. Comfortable for long drives: My car was always used for long drives, as my office commute barely amounted to 4-5 kms a day, my brother will have a similar usage pattern, so the car needs to be a reliable and comfortable highway cruncher.
4. Bells & whistles: My car is totally stock even today (despite running a car accessories business for a year), so an upgrade on this front shall be nice. ABS is important, Airbags not so much.
5. Fuel: Petrol it shall be! Usage does not warrant a diesel at all.
6. Time Frame: Anytime in the next 4-5 months. The Esteem is running fine, and we can wait for a better model.
7. Service network: The car shall be used for a lot of highway travel, hence a good service network is a must. Not looking at Fiat/ Renault/ Nissan because of this.

Main players:
This is where the confusion starts. Bro had his eyes on the Endeavour before it was vetoed by the family as too expensive. Right now, our bucket list has everything from the Ritz to the Verna. However, the main contenders are the Verna Fluidic and the Ford Classic.

1. Ford Classic petrol: Great value for money, sturdy build and fun to drive. Not too concerned with outdated looks (I am upgrading from a 9 year old car, even the old is not too old for me)

2. Hyundai Verna: Doesn't handle well, but bro has a fantastic discount on this one. The top end petrol would cost us 2.5L less than the market price, and bro likes the looks of the car + he is fascinated by all the gizmos in there. This may also lead to an i20, considering a similar discount.

Considering the significant discount, we shall pay about a lakh more for the Verna Fluidic petrol over the classic. I would happily go with the classic for reasons above, but is the Verna a better choice. Or should we look at something else?

Others somewhere along in the fray:

1. Ford Ecosport: Good looks, technically advanced!
2. Maruti Ritz: I like the quirky styling of the Ritz, + I drove it once and found it to be pretty nice.
3. XA Alpha? Others coming in within the near future?

Please throw in your suggestions.

Thanks
Tapish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks