Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 14:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Automatic Under 5 Lakh. Which Ones To Consider?

Honestly, the i10 Automatics are atrocious. No offence to existing owners please. They have a very bad gearbox and equally bad economy.

For under 5 lakhs you will easily get a nicely used 4-5 year old ANHC (less than 50k on the ODO) or even a 6-7 year old Civic. Personally, I would go with the ANHC, since spares and maintenance wouldn't be as expensive.

If you are fixed on a Small car, then the Brio AT would slot into the same price range, although of much more recent vintage obviously. It's a vastly superior car than the i10 in almost every respect.

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st August 2014 at 14:11.
Old 21st August 2014, 14:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Used Automatic Under 5 Lakh. Which Ones To Consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
iliketurtles and others

I called up Modi Hyundai today to ask for the car using the number provided by the lady. They mentioned that the front bumper was changed and windshield moulding was also changed.

Also they quoted 400 + Tax for car health checkup. No idea what all they will check.

Front bumper change is a concern for me as it can point to accident. I am yet to ask the owner but I am hoping the service history may have mention of what happened.
Seems like the car took a bit of a hit and you should be cautious while checking for that. You can very well go with their checkup of the car, it's dirt cheap for that much. But the same job can also be done by any trusted mechanic of yours, they might give a more honest opinion too.

Go in and take a look at the records nonetheless, and ask pointedly if it had come in with an accident. Needless to say, if they confirm it I'd drop the idea of that particular car.

Edit: like roy_libran above me, I'd again exhort you to look at the last gen City. It's perfect for your needs. Do reconsider.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 21st August 2014 at 14:32.
Old 21st August 2014, 14:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Honestly, the i10 Automatics are atrocious. No offence to existing owners please. They have a very bad gearbox and equally bad economy.

For under 5 lakhs you will easily get a nicely used 4-5 year old ANHC (less than 50k on the ODO) or even a 6-7 year old Civic. Personally, I would go with the ANHC, since spares and maintenance wouldn't be as expensive.

If you are fixed on a Small car, then the Brio AT would slot into the same price range, although of much more recent vintage obviously. It's a vastly superior car than the i10 in almost every respect.
Actually I have never driven (a car) on Indian roads so I am just scared to buy a sedan. If I get used to driving one then i won't have an issue I know. I know people always complain of bad gearbox of the i10 and hence even choosing new Grand i10 and such is useless i believe as they all use same gear box and i can expect same FE.
Btw with Honda AHNC, how much back should I go in terms of years (2009 ?) and is it ok with mileage even if it is above 40K and such ?
My brother actually pointed the idea of city as well to me once.
Also what is the mileage above which I should stay away ?
Old 21st August 2014, 15:11   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I have never driven (a car) on Indian roads so I am just scared to buy a sedan. If I get used to driving one then i won't have an issue I know. I know people always complain of bad gearbox of the i10 and hence even choosing new Grand i10 and such is useless i believe as they all use same gear box and i can expect same FE.
Btw with Honda AHNC, how much back should I go in terms of years (2009 ?) and is it ok with mileage even if it is above 40K and such ?
I guess in the Used Car market, and if buying from an individual seller, with complete service history, you would be safe getting a City (2008 onwards) which has run between 50-70k kms. The reason being, this should easily have a residual life of at least, if not a lot more, the same mileage, if maintained regularly. With a City AT, you should comfortably get 10 kmpl in City conditions.

If you are scared of a Sedan, I suggest you look for a Brio.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:17   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think if you go back max 4 years you should get a good car in your budget. In my personal opinion mileage of 40,000 will be pretty good. Typically a lot of people who buy AT's will not have high running, so should be able to get a good car in the range.

On the point of driving a sedan, if you have never driven in India, I don't think it will matter if you start from a hatch or a sedan. You will anyway need some time get get comfortable driving on Indian roads and that time interval is not going to really be different if you get a sedan vs a hatch.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:29   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think if you go back max 4 years you should get a good car in your budget. In my personal opinion mileage of 40,000 will be pretty good. Typically a lot of people who buy AT's will not have high running, so should be able to get a good car in the range.

On the point of driving a sedan, if you have never driven in India, I don't think it will matter if you start from a hatch or a sedan. You will anyway need some time get get comfortable driving on Indian roads and that time interval is not going to really be different if you get a sedan vs a hatch.
You are right. Thanks for the advice. I ride only Bike on Indian roads.
My experience with cars is I have driven 1999 Honda Accord Automatic in USA for more than a year. But USA driving cannot be counted I feel.
And what price should i expect ? Somewhere in 5 to 5.25 Lakh ?
Old 21st August 2014, 15:49   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. Thanks for the advice. I ride only Bike on Indian roads.
My experience with cars is I have driven 1999 Honda Accord Automatic in USA for more than a year. But USA driving cannot be counted I feel.
And what price should i expect ? Somewhere in 5 to 5.25 Lakh ?
The US experience will definitely help to some extent with respect to the car size, judgement calls etc. Driving in India will need you to fine tune that to a much higher degree.

Not sure on the used car pricing in Mumbai. In Bangalore when I was looking out for a Honda City AT last year, I had seen 2-3 year old, 20-25K Km run vehicles listed ~7.5-8L (before any kind of negotiation). Considering Bangalore prices are among the highest, you should be able to get a ~4 year old car in the 5-5.5L range or even lesser since that model is not longer being sold.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What price should i expect ? Somewhere in 5 to 5.25 Lakh ?
That or less. That's if you're buying from an individual seller, brokers will of course be higher. In that price you'd be able to get a car that has run 40,000 kms or less and it wouldn't be a problem whatsoever for a Honda. They're built to run and run, like Toyotas. Get a sedan, you never know when the extra space comes in handy.
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:01   #114
BHPian

Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

As of now, not really finding any honda city close to 5 to 5.25 lakh. Most are 2009,2010 models and some rare 2011 ones. Most are in 6 Lakh range even when mileage is more than 45K. And individual listings are like 5% compared to 95% dealer listings. I don't know if it should matter if it is S AT or V AT. How much additional features V AT has ?

Also separately found one Honda amaze September 2013 bought with 7000 kms and one dealer is selling for 7Lakh.

Never saw any Brio AT on sale.

Websites I am checking are Olx, Quikr, carwale, cardekho, cartrade

Also in new cars, Grand i10 has plush interiors with gizmos but terrible economy and old 4 speed gearbox.

While brio sells less but is hailed by people who use it, having 5 speed gearbox but plain jane interiors and small boot. But has ABS and 2 airbags.

It is very confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by raksrules : 22nd August 2014 at 19:05.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:15   #115
Senior - BHPian

Prioritise what you absolutely must have and then go after the car that suits it most. It might take more time to get a car to your liking, but be patient. Also, expand your search to print classifieds. There are some good deals to be had there
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Prioritise what you absolutely must have and then go after the car that suits it most. It might take more time to get a car to your liking, but be patient. Also, expand your search to print classifieds. There are some good deals to be had there

Which newspapers would you suggest ? My priority is to have a reliable car, something I can trust. I am ok with less "nice to have features". Also since it will be automatic, reliability plays even more important part.
Also the car should make me happy when I am driving it. I know the criteria I mentioned are pretty vague.
What so you think is appropriate price for that amaze I mentioned.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which newspapers would you suggest ? My priority is to have a reliable car, something I can trust. I am ok with less "nice to have features". Also since it will be automatic, reliability plays even more important part.
Also the car should make me happy when I am driving it. I know the criteria I mentioned are pretty vague.
What so you think is appropriate price for that amaze I mentioned.
Any paper of your choice is fine, the TOI has some good classifieds to go through. Mid-Day isn't a bad bet either.

The criteria you spelled out screams Honda. In my opinion, no car in that bracket is truly fun to drive, but the Brio isn't a bad shout. It's very chuckable and is nice to drive, but the features are nothing to write home about. That and the City should be your picks.

I would quote a price one lakh below that sticker price on the amaze and go upwards, but frankly I wouldn't go for the Amaze at all. When you can have a City for about the same money, why go for the Amaze? The City is better in every way imaginable. I'd genuinely, hand on heart go for a City run for 30-40k kms over an Amaze, truly. Which is not to say you should. Keep looking, it's the key to getting a good deal in the used car market. I had paid 6.5L for a 2 year old City S AT that had run only 18k kms. Keep looking, it doesn't matter whether you get the S or the V, the City should be your car of choice.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:22   #118
BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

iliketurtles

Any specific reason to not consider 2005-2006 and such Honda City AT, dolphin one?
The reason I am asking is that since yesterday I am checking all possible used car websites and 2009/2010 Honda City AT is more than 5.5Lakh in most cases and mileage is also not less, it is very much in 45K-60K range.

Now I also see listings of the 2005-2006 and such Honda City with almost same mileage but price is around 2.5 Lakh, that is like 3 Lakh less for a previous generation.

Any reason I see so many AT City on sale on these websites from the year 2005-2006 ? And are they even worth considering ?

I will be really frank here. Since I am new to cars, I sometimes question myself whether I can drive a big sedan like a city. When I do this, I instantly feel a hatchback may be better but then in second hand I did not see any Brio at all. But yes we did a TD of VX AT few weeks back and apart from the boot and plain dash, the drive was good and car was spacious.

Can a brio accommodate 4 adults and a car seat (with baby in it).

Last edited by raksrules : 23rd August 2014 at 10:26.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:42   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason to not consider 2005-2006 and such Honda City AT, dolphin one?

Those are really too old, that's the only reason I'd not consider them. To put it in perspective, they're also almost 10 years old! It's also uglier than the City that replaced it, but that's not really the reason I'd not recommend it.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is that since yesterday I am checking all possible used car websites and 2009/2010 Honda City AT is more than 5.5Lakh in most cases and mileage is also not less, it is very much in 45K-60K range.

Now I also see listings of the 2005-2006 and such Honda City with almost same mileage but price is around 2.5 Lakh, that is like 3 Lakh less for a previous generation.

I'll also have a look-see online later today since I have some time. You answered your own point though;the 2nd generation City is about 3 lakhs less because it's older by several years. I also suspect market demand for the 3rd gen City is more, but that's just my guy feeling.

Quote:
Any reason I see so many AT City on sale on these websites ? And are they even worth considering ?

The Honda City for the longest time has been the most popular choice of automatic sedan in its category. It's only now that the Vento TSI can give it competition. With it's reliability and Badge, it was THE petrol automatic to go for. Still is if you want absolute peace of mind and great after-sales service. The City's being sold online are definitely worth considering, but again, I advise you to buy something newer than the 2nd gen. You don't buy a car every day, after all.

Quote:
I will be really frank here. Since I am new to cars, I sometimes question myself whether I can drive a big sedan like a city. When I do this, I instantly feel a hatchback may be better but then in second hand I did not see any Brio at all. But yes we did a TD of VX AT few weeks back and apart from the boot and plain dash, the drive was good and car was spacious.

Can a brio accommodate 4 adults and a car seat (with baby in it).

I understand your apprehension, but like someone rightly pointed out in this thread, when you're learning how to drive in India, learning on a sedan or hatchback makes no difference at all. If you wish, you could always go to a driving school and pay to practice for about 2 weeks, it'll build up your confidence levels. Coming from experience though, driving a sedan of the City's size is not that big of a jump up from a hatchback.

I've honestly never travelled with a baby seat in a car, but from what I remember of the Brio, it was very spacious in the back for its category. I'm sure adding in a baby seat shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps a dekko at the showroom is in order to check this out?
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:50   #120
BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others

iliketurtles

Thanks for the inputs. Yes please do check if you get time. I am in Mumbai (please do not consider Pune). You will know better than me.
Also apart from 2nd gen city being old, any thing else that stops me from buying that ?
It is like I can buy the 2nd gen city AT for 2.25 Lakh etc and get a hang of riding on roads and "may be" sell off in 2 years and then see what options I have.
It is like many a times people tend to buy a second hand car first so they can gain street confidence without spending a lot as it is usually expected that new drivers are going to scratch and bump their cars as they are still building their judgement of roads and traffic and such.

Most Viewed