Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?

I'm planning to replace my 7 year old Accent. Well, I have no complaints with this car and it has served me well (really well!) during these years. Now that I'm a family man with a kid, I'm getting more nervous on the roads with these usual blokes with utmost disregard for road rules/safety.

So, these are my must-have requirements:
1. ABS & Airbags
2. Decent mileage (at least 12+ in the city)
3. Trouble-free running/maintenance (I know it's a little vague; but you know what I mean - no mechanical/electrical breakdowns, quality issues)
4. Hassle-free A.S.S

Budget: ~6.5 - 7 lacs

Based on these, I'm looking at the Xcent and Polo. Are these sane choices? I believe Polo is coming up with airbags as basic across all variants this year.

What's ruled out for personal reasons: Amaze, Desire & Etios. And, I don't even know of a brand called Tata.

Look forward to your suggestions that would help me buy one of these.

Note: I know it's an odd choice; one being a sedan and the other a hatchback. But I like 'these' in the aforementioned price point. I'd be interested in your views on why I should consider something like the Grand i10 as well.
Old 20th April 2014, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?

Between the Polo 1.2(3 Cylinder engine) and Xcent 1.2, obviously the Xcent scores on most of the frons - including engine performance, fuel efficiency, after sales and features.

However the only saving grace for Polo 1.2 would be the better build quality.

Equation would have been different had you been comparing the Polo TSI with Xcent. Here, the fun to drive factor will clinch it in favour of the Polo, but you still lose on the interior space (specially the 407 lt boot of the xcent) and cheaper/widespread after sales of Hyundai.

Since you are already coming from Hyundai, it makes even more sense to stick to the brand since you know the quality of after sales and service with the Hyundai, whereas with the Volkswagen it will be an unknown territory for you.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th April 2014 at 14:29.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 15:02   #3
BHPian

Was checking lot of cars in last month as I am planning for a second car. polo has very limited back space which might be a constraint for your growing family, where as xcent back seat is pretty comfortable with decent leg space and good reclining angle of back seat. You might want to look at Top end which is loaded with safety features and other goodies. My choice would be xcent if you are looking at space and creature comforts and not to mention superior Hyundai support.
Ross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 15:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I would rule out Polo from your list. The back seat is really cramped and the base variant that will fit your budget is too spartan otherwise. Why don't you take a look at the Grand i10? Its a very spacious car and at 6.2L you will get the fully loaded top variant which has every gadget you can think off and then some. Fit and finish is class leading and after sales is pretty decent too. Also may I suggest the Toyota Liva? The middle variant with the safety pack should cost you nearly the same. It will be much more spacious and equally reliable. Ofcourse you will lose on a lot of functions and gadgets that will come standard with the Grand i10.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 15:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can reach for the Polo TSi - assuming its still available, that would seem to be a stellar decision.
Old 20th April 2014, 19:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post

So, these are my must-have requirements:
1. ABS & Airbags
2. Decent mileage (at least 12+ in the city)
3. Trouble-free running/maintenance (I know it's a little vague; but you know what I mean - no mechanical/electrical breakdowns, quality issues)
4. Hassle-free A.S.S

Budget: ~6.5 - 7 lacs

Based on these, I'm looking at the Xcent and Polo. Are these sane choices? I believe Polo is coming up with airbags as basic across all variants this year.

Note: I know it's an odd choice; one being a sedan and the other a hatchback. But I like 'these' in the aforementioned price point. I'd be interested in your views on why I should consider something like the Grand i10 as well.
Hello Giga tech, both cars are good. Xcent scores in terms of Hyundai service network, rear bench space and a larger boot (407 Litres Vs 294 Litres of Polo ).
If you look at Polo, it scores better than xcent in the suspension, build quality, high speed stability on the highways and features. Steering column which is adjustable for rake and reach and the MFD that shows almost all the information that you would like to see from the driving seat. Post Feb 2014 manufactured Polos comes with ABS and airbags even in the comfortline variant. In my opinion that's quite a good value.
Grand i10 is good too - it has all the pros of xcent but without a boot.

I have heard people mentioning that the 1.2 3 cyl petrol is not good. But my experience with that engine has been a bit different. Sure its not the best when you compare with a Maruti 1.2 or a VW 1.2 TSi, but its worth much more than what you normally hear from the vehicle review team. I have driven it, definitely You wouldn't feel like a Sebastian Loeb while driving this car, but its more than enough for our roads and highways.

If you can wait till they launch the face lift it will be better. Internationally the 1.2 3 Cyl petrol is replaced with the 1.0 3 cyl petrol that comes with 2 states of tune - 59Bhp and 74 Bhp. Not sure if they will replace it in India.

While we discuss these two cars, I think its good that you check out the Swift Dzire. I know you said no Amaze due to personal reasons, but still I would recommend you considering that too.

Happy Buying
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 12:22   #7
BHPian

I just saw an i10, verna (fluidic), grand i10 and a red VW Polo on the same line, at the office parking lot today. My heart 'auto-focused' my eyes on the Polo! Grand i10 looks good too, but kinda pales when it's closer to the Polo. Now, my only options are to test drive again (did it once already 2 months ago) the Polo, and the Grand i10/Xcent, back to back. Pick one, haggle for discounts (if any) and then come back here. Hopefully, they have the facelifted VW Polo at the showroom next week. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
Old 21st April 2014, 13:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol: Hyundai Xcent or VW Polo?

Since you have already narrowed it down to two choices, the best person to decide is yourselves. I dont see the point in putting the query on the forum unless you are secretly hoping for members to put forth some "other" options too.

My suggestion - stick to the Xcent for being new, Hyundai brand. If you are planning to replace the Accent, Hyundai can offer the max resale + loyalty bonus and et all.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 14:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You may find the Polo cramped in the back and the boot space will also be an issue since you are coming from a Sedan(and considering you are a family man with a kid, the boot space needs will only go up). So among your choices, Xcent would be the one to go for. But not sure if you will feel it as a good 'upgrade'. if you can stretch your budget, see if one of the C Segment Sedans meets your needs. Other option is to go pre-owned route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:22   #10
Max
BHPian

I will ovoid Polo without second thought knowing its a Volkswagen Car which is same company as Skoda India. (Volkswagen group owns multiple brands including Skoda). Skoda and Volkswagen are known for extremely horrible after sales service (just search forums with "skoda" and "polo") in the search feature.

God bless you if you got lemon polo or If your dealer or any other VW dealer you may visit across India decides to take you for the ride. VW won't help you and you will keep running around the courts for 6+ years!

Go through these threads, after going through all of them, if you still consider VW or Skoda, I have no further advice.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ce-issues.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...epair-job.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ivery-yet.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...again-42k.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vice-done.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...highlight=polo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-6-years.html

Last edited by Max : 21st April 2014 at 16:35.
Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:45   #11
BHPian

Everyone has already helped you to retain with Hyundai, and same is my opinion.
One thing which you should also factor is the cost of repairs and parts. My understanding is Polo will be expensive to repair in case of any damages due to unforeseen reasons (the great indian driving). Whereas since Hyundai is here for decades the spare parts are localised the cost of replacing will be pretty less.
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Added boot notwithstanding, the Xcent is a full segment lower than Polo when it comes to chassis, suspension and general engineering. I will not place Grand i10 in the same segment as Swift/i20/Punto/Figo/Polo. That said I think the three cylinder engine in the Polo sound wheezy compared ti the much more sophisticated 1.2 litre unit in the Hyundai. I think economy and general performance will be more or less same.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 22nd April 2014 at 10:04.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I will not place Grand i10 in the same segment as Swift/i20/Punto/Figo/Polo.
Beg to disagree.
The Grand clearly belongs to the same segment as the Swift/Figo/Punto/Polo. Can't say the same about i20 though.
And by extension the Xcent competes in the same segment as DZire/Amaze/Fiesta classic.

By just being more expensive than Swift/Grand, the Polo and Punto can't escape the fact that they are not exactly a premium hatchback but a B Segment hatch competing directly with Grand/Brio/Swift.

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd April 2014 at 11:06.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
By just being more expensive than Swift/Grand, the Polo and Punto can't escape the fact that they are not exactly a premium hatchback but a B Segment hatch competing directly with Grand/Brio/Swift.
Brio and i10 Grand would belong in the same segment/class and therefore Amaze/Xcent will not and cannot compete with the Vento/Linea. The others are considerably larger dimensionally and the same is also reflected in Hyundai's positioning of the car.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Since you have already narrowed it down to two choices, the best person to decide is yourselves. I dont see the point in putting the query on the forum unless you are secretly hoping for members to put forth some "other" options too.
I'm looking for useful answers and pointers. Otherwise, I don't see your point in responding to my query. A forum is for questions and discussions, and I if you don't see a point in a question, please save your time and energy and look elsewhere. Thanks anyways!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks